Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4900 - 05/12/14 at 18:28:03

I don't have it Mark, but I do have a number of the separate releases on SACD. The Living Stereo series was a great one in its day and they are great performances in great sound. I think you would enjoy this box.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4901 - 05/12/14 at 21:18:30

Well Lon,  I bought it! Now I want Vol. 1 at the same price....1.42 per CD.  I'm listening to this on Spotify...very nice, as you already know.  This CD is in Vol. 1.  I'll copy the contents of volume two below and give the link for others interested.  Mark.

http://www.popmarket.com/details/29846608?feature_id=29846558

DISC 1-5: LSC-2120-24
Beethoven: Piano Concertos 1-5
Arthur Rubinstein, Symphony of the Air, Josef Krips

DISC 6: LSC-2127
Strauss: Burleske / Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto No. 1
Byron Janis, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner

DISC 7: LSC-2216
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6 "Pathetique"
Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Fritz Reiner

DISC 8: LSC-2239
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Monteux

DISC 9: LSC-2251
Hovhaness: Mysterious Mountain / Stravinsky: The Fairy's Kiss

DISC 10: LSC-2274
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 1
Gary Graffman, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Charles Munch

DISC 11: LSC-2283
Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition / Liszt: Paraphrase de concert sur Rigoletto
Byron Janis

DISC 12: LSC-2318
Rossini Overtures

DISC 13: LSC-2328
Tchaikovsky: The Nutcracker (Excerpts)

DISC 14: LSC-2366
Beethoven: Appassionata Sonata, Sonata In D, Op. 10, No. 3
Vladimir Horowitz

DISC 15: LSC-2369
Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Pierre Monteux

DISC 16: LSC-2371
Mahler: Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen / Kindertotenlieder
Maureen Forrester, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Charles Munch

DISC 17: LSC-2377
Beethoven: “Kreutzer” and “Spring” Sonatas
Arthur Rubinstein, Henryk Szeryng

DISC 18: LSC-2378
Schubert: Death and the Maiden
The Juilliard String Quartet

DISC 19: LSC-2398
Khachaturian: Masquerade Suite / Kabalevsky: The Comedians
RCA Victor Symphony Orchestra, Kirill Kondrashin

DISC 20: LSC-2401
Copland: Appalachian Spring / The Tender Land Suite
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Aaron Copland

DISC 21: LSC-2437
Bizet: Carmen for Orchestra
Morton Gould and His Orchestra

DISC 22: LSC-2441
Reiner conducts Wagner

DISC 23: LSC-2443
Liszt: The Virtuoso Liszt
Gary Graffman

DISC 24: LSC-2466
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2
Sviatoslav Richter, Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf

DISC 25: LSC-2487
Guilini/Arnold: Guitar Concertos
Julian Bream, Melos Ensemble

DISC 26: LSC-2493
Schubert: Piano Sonata in D major
Emil Gilels

DISC 27: LSC-2550
Beethoven: Serenade, Op. 8 / Kodaly: Duo For Violin And Cello
Jascha Heifetz, William Primrose, Gregor Piatigorsky

DISC 28: LSC-2560
The Golden Age of English Lute Music
Julian Bream

DISC 29: LSC-2563
Beethoven/Schubert: Trios / Bach: Sinfonias
Jascha Heifetz, William Primrose, Gregor Piatigorsky

DISC 30: LSC-2566
Grieg: Piano Concerto And Favorite Encores
Arthur Rubinstein, Alfred Wallenstein and Orchestra

DISC 31: LSC-2576
My favorite Chopin
Van Cliburn

DISC 32: LSC-2596
Saint-Saens: Carnival Of The Animals / Britten: The Young Person’s Guide To The Orchestra
Boston Pops Orchestra, Arthur Fiedler

DISC 33: LSC-2621
Chopin: Les Sylphides / Prokofieff: Love For Three Oranges
Boston Pops Orchestra, Arthur Fiedler

DISC 34: LSC-2629
Dvorak: Symphony No. 4
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Charles Munch

DISC 35: LSC-2642
Mahler: Symphony No. 1
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf

DISC 36: LSC-2668
Debussy: Afternoon Of A Faun, Nuages, Fetes, Printemps
Boston Symphony Orchestra, Chares Munch

DISC 37-39: LSC-6052
Puccini: Tosca
Milanov/ Bjoerling / Warren, Rome Opera Orchestra and Chorus, Erich Leinsdorf

DISC 40-41: LSC-6066
Beethoven: Symphony Nos. 8 + 9
Price / Forrester / Poleri / Tozzi, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Charles Munch

DISC 42-43: LDS-6098
Berlioz: Romeo and Juliet
Elias / Valletti / Tozzi, New England Conservatory Chorus, Boston Symphony Orchestra, Charles Munch

DISC 44-46: LSC-6141
Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor
Peters / Peerce / Tozzi /  Maero, Rome Opera Orchestra and Chorus, Erich Leinsdorf

DISC 47-50: LSC-6143
Rossini: The Barber of Seville
Merrill / Peters / Tozzi / Corena, Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf

DISC 51-53: LDS-6155
Verdi: Otello
Vickers / Rysanek / Gobbi, Rome Opera Orchestra and Chorus, Tullio Serafin

DISC 54-56: LSC-6157
Bach: Great Mass in B minor
Robert Shaw Chorale and Orchestra, Robert Shaw

DISC 57-58: LSC-7040
Verdi: Requiem
Nilsson / Chookasian / Bergonzi / Flagello, Boston Chorus Pro Musica, Alfred Nash Petterson

DISC 59-60: LSC-7050
Chopin: Nocturnes
Arthur Rubinstein

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4902 - 05/12/14 at 21:20:34

Yes, great stuff.

Right now

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4903 - 05/12/14 at 21:31:52

Lon,  I forgot to mention.  My HR-1's are sitting in the living room.  I'll unpack and hook them up tomorrow.  Just curious, these do sound good right out of the box with improvement with break in...right.  Or should I set them up for break-in in another room...not in my listening room, for a while?  Thanks,  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4904 - 05/12/14 at 21:38:32

Listen to them Mark. They'll sound thnner and edgier than they will in a few weeks, but listen to them. I think you'll be intrigued all the way through break in.

I set them up in another room because I have so little time with my system I didn't want to go through the break in plus I wanted to compare the fully broken in sound to the sound of my seasoned first pair.

Now, months later, the new pair sounds better than the first pair.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4905 - 05/12/14 at 22:25:42

Will do, Lon.  Steve knows how to push my buttons...his email that the Mystery Amp will be increasing in price by a grand has me thinking...do I want/need one?  I thought the same thing when he was giving away the cool Red Caps for free.  Anyone out there who has both a Torii and the Mystery Amp want to compare the two for Vinyl and Red book playback?  What am I getting that the Torii doesn't supply?  Damn,  now I have to torture myself about this for the next 3 weeks.  Lon,  talk me off the ledge.  Mark

Now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4906 - 05/12/14 at 23:03:44

Mark, I thought long and hard about the Mystery Amp too, several times. One thing that makes it easy for me to decide is: I can't afford it, and I alredy have three Decware amps in use, one in the closet, and a few other amps as well. And I am just so happy with all three of my Toriis, the Mk II and the two Mk IIIs. And I'm never going to need mroe power with the two pair of HR-1s and the ERRs. And because I have PS Audio power regeneration I don't need my amp to have the huge cleansing power supply that the Mystery Amp does. And the clincher for me? I am very sensitive to treble, I need a treble cut circuit, and Steve doesn't seem to want to incorporate one into the Mystery Amp for me. When I inquired about it a few months ago if he had said "why certainly" I would have ordered one. In the meantime I have ordered the update for the PS Audio DAC and that's where my money went.

To be honest Mark: your Torii will drive your HR-1s like they were made for each other, will always sound great and is more flexible than the Mystery Amp. You don't need another amp. In your shoes I'd look for a stellar DAC or digital front end. You have the ZP3. . .now look for a digital front end that can give it a run for its money. I know you're getting good sound now, but the next level in digital will really impress you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4907 - 05/12/14 at 23:09:39

Right now, beautiful music. I may seek out another interpretation though. These three are masters. . . but somehow it all seems a bit dispassionate and I don't think Beethoven should be that way.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4908 - 05/13/14 at 01:15:06

Lon,  I know you're right but for the next 19 days I'll think about it.  I will probably stick with my plan of buying another Torii used for half what the Mystery Amp would cost...sometime in the future, when a great deal presents itself.  But even a second Torii is unnecessary. I've done quite enough Audio damage in less than a year.  I'd be afraid to add it all up.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4909 - 05/13/14 at 01:42:39

You and me both! I built up my second system before I realized. . . I'm not likely to use it much at all for quite some time to come. So I could have not done that. But then again, I have quality back up everythng! And I have a great system my Dad gets to enjoy as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4910 - 05/13/14 at 13:36:20

The final two discs. Awesome.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4911 - 05/13/14 at 16:16:23

This now.  I know I have a version of this CD somewhere but not sure which so I bought another copy of the RVG edition from Dusty Groove.  I also think I have a complete Dexter Gordon on Blue Note Box put out by Blue Note a long time ago...probably OOP also in an unknown location in my house!  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4912 - 05/13/14 at 18:03:30

Another Dusty Groove purchase from the "Rare Bird"  label...never heard of this label...Both albums in this two CD set were originally on Columbia...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4913 - 05/13/14 at 20:05:32

I've been listening to this DVD on you tube...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4914 - 05/14/14 at 01:11:49

Disc 2 of this great set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4915 - 05/14/14 at 17:32:55

Streaming this from spotify through Taboo and Audeze Cans...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4916 - 05/14/14 at 19:43:22

This CD next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4917 - 05/14/14 at 21:03:55

Well Lon,  I've unpacked and placed one HR-1, now I have to rest for a while...I may have thrown my back out.  Unpacking the second one will be easier now that I know the secret.  What's the secret. I hear people asking.  There are several clear pieces of tape holding a Styrofoam bottom in place.  Once they are cut and the Styrofoam bottom removed you can right the box and just lift it off the speaker that remains on the floor.

Lon,  why didn't you tell me the secret...hehe.  They are much smaller than I expected from pictures but they are beautiful and I assume will sound just as good eventually.  I'll tackle the second one in a half hour and get down to listening later tonight when I get back home.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4918 - 05/14/14 at 21:21:32

I did mention the "secret" in the email I sent yesterday I believe.

Yeah, here's what I sent:

Mark, they're very well-packed and a boogger to unpack. I recommend getting them out from the bottom---I turned the boxes upside down, cut the bottom open, cut through the tape on the bottom foam piece, righted it up again and did a lot of shaking etc. I think one of them I had to slit the box to get the whole foampiece exposed.

Glad that at least one is up. It's a bear to get them out, I had a helluva time myself and it aggravated my sciatic nerve as well!

They are going to sound awesome, I would be very surprised if you are not bowled over immediately.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4919 - 05/14/14 at 21:30:50

Two of the complex maintenance guys spent about three hours trying to fix my water heater, and then replacing it.

One of the guys when he left said "I would have gotten this done sooner but your system sounds so damned good!" He didn't even look at it, just heard it.

Was playing some Jobim.

The CTI Supreme Blu-Spec version

Inedito (the Brazilian version)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4920 - 05/14/14 at 21:55:51

Lon,  you are right...you had told me the secret, if I' had only paid attention.  Anyway,  the second speaker was a piece of cake.  I just wheeled it into my listening cave and tipped it flat on the dolly, cut the bottom open and managed to cut the tape without tearing the bottom of the box too much righted it and it slid right out.  

They are obviously not near as efficient as the Zu Audio "Souls", I previously had the Torii MK IV turned up to the half way mark which gave me plenty of play with the CSP3...just had to turn it up all the way then back a bit to get the same effect.   Right out of the box with no break in these sound much much better than the "Souls" did after three four weeks of break in...when I first got the "Souls" they sounded horrid. The HR-1s won't be moving for at least a few months.  I know from my conversations with the seller of my Omegas, that they haven't been broken in much.  So I plan on keeping them in my bedroom with a Solid State Amp pounding them with Led Zeppelin for a few weeks until I move them to the Den.

This is the first LP played with the HR-1's...a Historic Event...Love at First Listen.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4921 - 05/14/14 at 22:09:55

That's a great Sphere record.

So glad that you have them set up and enjoy them right away! I tell you they get better and better the first 1000 hours or so. I couldn't believe how much better my first pair sounded after a few months of play, and then again after a few more, and then again, it took about a year before I felt they stopped changing and/or I had set the system up just right and positioned them just right to be all they can be. Same for the second pair, and they sound even better. So. . . lots of great things ahead.

Had to laugh at the speakers being pounded by Zeppelin!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4922 - 05/14/14 at 22:18:07

Yep,  Pounded is the right term.  For weeks and weeks during the day I played Led Zep with the "Souls" at levels I would never listen.  I had two doors closed between the room and me and I could still hear it.  When I'd go out for the mail I could hear it quite well from the street.  I beat those suckers into submission...now they're pretty nice speakers.  No beating will be needed with the HR-1s just normal listening levels right off the bat.  Unfortunately I have to leave now...after a Sonny Rollins tune or two from the "Bridge".  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4923 - 05/14/14 at 23:02:09

Well, hurry back, your HR-1s are there. Smiley

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4924 - 05/15/14 at 05:14:58

New band released this album on Tuesday: Sylvan Esso.

It's a Folk singer from Mountain Man, and an Electronic Music artist.

The album is very interesting, very electronic, well produced, and at times reminds me of Aphex Twin and Moby's album Play.

http://youtu.be/Qr5AIKRPIHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mh2RctlGxc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4183ZU73-B8

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #4925 - 05/15/14 at 08:11:05

@ LR, pretty cool, you can also tell it was produced well.

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4926 - 05/15/14 at 08:45:19

I have found a treasure of older Elton John records. I have to think a kind of redkneck trying to please his babe, but she did want to be satiated with music, whatever!!

The fact is I found a garage sale bounty of "chick music"  loaded with Soft rock in excellent condition.

Now, when this music was current, I was not so much a fan, but these days, I am exploring more than I did in my youth. Some of this music has affected me in som many ways and to have them all on LP is amazing,

It took me four trip to the car to load it all up.

Right now I am listening to a well cleaned new find of "Taking It To The Streets,"  from the Doobies.

Seriously, I bought over three hundred albums for twenty bucks.

So, I will pop in here a bit more more and more over the coming months with what I have found in this abandoned collection.

I might have considered six hundred but twenty sounded good.

This is the TIME OF YEAR to hit garage sales, if you have the time.
Being retired is AOK!

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #4927 - 05/15/14 at 08:49:02

Next up is ELP.

The original first LP.

Yeah, May be a bit early in the morn for such, but I am keeping it listenable.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4928 - 05/15/14 at 11:22:24

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4929 - 05/15/14 at 12:29:31

great score DirtDawg.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4930 - 05/15/14 at 15:39:20

I listened to this LP last night as well as the rest of  Sonny Rollin's "The Bridge" LP.  I have this Art Pepper Music on a 4 CD set, the original one CD release and now the Vinyl from Dusty Groove.  Mark.

PS...my 30 LP and 4 CD latest  Dusty Groove order arrived a couple days ago and was opened today.  I am way behind on listening to my new buys...I need to slow down.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4931 - 05/15/14 at 19:08:00

OK, I couldn't resist,  I've moved into to the Listening Cave and have begun spinning LPs.  I played side two of "Blues For The Fisherman" then on to this LP purchased from Dusty Groove.  I have this LP from when it was released in 1978 but have no idea where it is.  Either shortly before or after this album's release I was home from college for the Holidays and packed several friends into my Fiat 128 and drove to a small Club in Buffalo, New York to see the Pat Metheny Group.  The first show was sold out but we got tickets for the second and returned later.  We sat at a table right in front of the Band drinking pitchers of beer...it was amazing.  One friend loves to tell of how I nearly ran down the Group as they crossed the street because I was distracted by some Babes near by.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4932 - 05/15/14 at 19:48:08

A sealed reissue of this.  It's not exactly flat but not bad enough to affect play.  Another from Dusty Groove.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4933 - 05/15/14 at 20:28:50

Next, a Live Stan Getz recording from 1981 on the Concord label...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4934 - 05/15/14 at 21:47:43

This LP next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4935 - 05/15/14 at 22:23:32

Spent a lot of time with my DVR trying to get caught up. The DVR through the PWD Mk 2 into the CSP2+ and into the Torii Mk III is great sound.

But for even greater sound, Rega RP3 into ZP3 (I like that they're P3 cousins) into the Torii Mk III is just audio bliss right now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4936 - 05/16/14 at 02:02:34

I have to get more Kirk Atlantic LPs. I have the cds, but the vinyl I have sounds SO good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4937 - 05/16/14 at 19:23:38

On my way home from work this morning I stopped at HPB&Rs as I sometimes do...I walked out with about $130 of Classic Rock Vinyl (16 LPs) and more.  Too many to list but some Jeff Beck, Allman Brothers, Emerson, Lake and Palmer,  Jon Luc Ponty, Wings, Traffic, Rainbow, Peter Gabriel,  Jimmi Hendrix and Dire Straits but the two I'm most excited about are a near perfect original Copy of Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" only one 1/3rd inch scratch that doesn't look too deep...for $14.99 and a 2008 reissue of Santana's first album?...the one with the Black and White Lion cover...for $9.99.  All these albums are VG+ to M-.  Also picked up a Hybrid SACD copy of "Dark Side Of The Moon" that I'm listening to now with Audeze Cans via the Taboo with Lucid mode on...Trippy. And to top it off, a 24 bit remastered greatest hits of Sinatra from the Capital years.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4938 - 05/16/14 at 19:47:21

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4939 - 05/16/14 at 20:02:42

This now.  I'm guessing that I'm the only person in the World that has ever gone from spinning Pink Floyd to Frank Sinatra...it's all good!  I also just received a 180 gm remaster of Billy Joel's "The Stranger" in the mail and just finished ordering a 2LP 180 gm reissue plus "7 LP of Neil Young's Greatest Hits set from Pop Market. Did I tell you that my 30 LP and 4 CD order from Dusty Groove arrived a few days ago?  I'm drowning in Vinyl...hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4940 - 05/16/14 at 20:03:20

Mark, tell me how that remastered Sinatra stuff sounds. I have some in my collection, but the detail of the ZMA and my now super quiet background...the tape hiss in the original recordings is a bit distracting.

I'm wondering if they dealt with that a little bit on your remasters.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4941 - 05/16/14 at 20:22:29

LR,  this is a 2000 remaster by Bob Norberg at Capitol Mastering.  I am currently on track #11 and haven't noticed any tape hiss with my Audeze LCD Headphones, Taboo Amp and Jolida 100 CDP...combo.  These Headphones are very forgiving though...you can't completely eliminate tape hiss.  All tracks have sounded great with the exception of a very brief episode of distortion on Gershwin's "Someone To Watch Over Me".  This is an inexpensive single CD,  I suggest you buy it and try it with your ZMA. I think the whole Capital catalog has been remastered in 24 bit since 2000...I have lots of them...somewhere.   If you don't like it, it'd be a nice car copy.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4942 - 05/16/14 at 20:48:46

OK LR,  I did a google search and read reviews of this CD on Amazon.  Let me repeat that this CD sounds fine to me.  The reviewer below, who seems very knowledgeable, doesn't like it.  I have copied it below with the accompanying comments. Hope this helps you. Mark.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wretched mastering, November 9, 2009
By Charles F. Held Jr. "cheld"
This review is from: Classic Sinatra (Audio CD)
First off, everyone should own the music contained on this disc. 1950's Sinatra represents truly the best of the best of American music - fantastic songwriters, arrangers, players and recording engineers, all providing the perfect complements our greatest interpreter of swing, show, and saloon tunes. Unfortunately, since about 1960, very few of Sinatra's peak performances have been commercially available in optimal sound quality in any format. At that time, Capitol reprocessed the original tapes, creating new "masters" with added echo, silly equalization, fake stereo, and other sonic abominations.

When Frank's Capitol output first got released on CD around 1987, mastering engineer Larry Walsh did a passable job considering the available technology and the the combination of "wrong" tapes he was often working with and "wrong" instructions he was given regarding when and how to add reverb to tapes that in their original, classic LP releases were "dry". A pair of compilations (the single-disc "Capitol Collectors Series" and 3CD "The Capitol Years", both also mastered by Walsh) improved things by going back to the genuine 1950's masters and NOT adding reverb.

Then in the mid-to-late-90's, Capitol handed its Sinatra CD projects over to Bob Norberg, who among Sinatraphiles is about as popular as Voldemort. Norberg readily admits that he is more interested in putting his own personal "stamp" on a project rather than presenting the listener with the most accurate representation of the original recording. After getting through the "Complete Capitol Singles Collection" without inflicting too much damage, Norberg unleashed his full arsenal of weapons of music destruction on the 1998-2002 "Entertainer Of The Century" and "Concepts" projects, from which almost all the tracks on "Classic Sinatra" are taken. All these discs sound truly bad - Frank's voice is buried in a cloud of reverb, the mono songs are presented in fake stereo, and EQ and noise reduction have been used without mercy, rolling off the treble sparkle in a silly attempt to reduce tape hiss (Here's an idea for reducing tape hiss: USE THE REAL MASTER TAPES INSTEAD OF THOSE BOTCHED 1960's REMIXES!). Sinatra and the orchestra sound like you're listening to them through a cardboard paper towel tube.

There IS some good news: Bob Voldemort - er - Norberg is no longer working at Capitol, and the sequel to this CD, "Classic Sinatra II", sounds fantastic (Larry Walsh has returned as the mastering engineer). Mono songs are in mono, no added reverb, all the sparkle intact. Frank is in the room with you, or at least he's in front of the orchestra instead of behind it!

Whether Capitol will ever fix its Sinatra CD catalog - arguably the greatest American musical asset that exists between one label and one artist - remains to be seen. At the moment the only "good" discs in print are "Classic II", the aforementioned "Capitol Years" 3CD set, and the Mobile Fidelity "Only The Lonely" and "Nice 'N Easy" discs (note: the out-of-print MoFi "Songs For Swingin' Lovers" uses a bad '60's fake-stereo tape).

My recommendation? Spend a couple bucks on a used copy of this, then get "Classic Sinatra II" and listen to both on your CD changer in shuffle mode so you can hear for yourself how much of a difference there is in mastering between the two.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink

[Add comment]
Comments
Track comments by e-mail
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 24, 2013 11:29:20 PM PDT
Mark Twain says:
I salute you.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customer
Do you think this post adds to the discussion?  Yes No
Posted on Dec 25, 2013 5:07:52 PM PST
Frederick Baptist says:
You are right in that the sound quality isn't perfect as the masters come from the 50s and so probably are not in the best of shape. I also detect some compression which is unfortunate as the bass notes are now muddy. The good news is that MOFI has had a crack at a few of Sinatra's classics. Once I've received them I will write a review; Songs for Swingin' Lovers and A Swingin' Affair I await for in sweet anticipation!
Reply to this post
Posted on Jan 9, 2014 6:29:30 AM PST
Sammy M. says:
very enlightening. we need more of these reviews, so we can get the best music out there for our listening pleasure...
Thank YOu
Reply to this post
Posted on Mar 8, 2014 10:32:34 PM PST
songjustice says:
On a good high resolution sound system this CD can be painful to the listener. More painful yet is the disrespect and disservice that has been done to the source material. I really believe the listener would be better served playing this back on the lowest quality equipment at a reduced volume level. Perhaps maybe as background music at a party where the guests would be talking over the music, fondly remembering the genius that was Sinatra. If someone says "Oh turn this up I really like this", firmly stiffen their drink beforehand.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4943 - 05/16/14 at 21:45:10

This next...Pink Floyd, Sinatra, Andrew Hill...talk about eclectic taste!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4944 - 05/16/14 at 23:20:34

One of Hill's very best. ..  right near the end. Sigh.

Right now, on an Ellington kick.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4945 - 05/17/14 at 02:10:44

I'm in the Cave for a couple hours of Vinyl.  This up first...Get some volume pumping through these new HR-1s...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4946 - 05/17/14 at 02:16:35

I've got some volume pumping through my HR-1s too! The Japanese SACD. Not perfect, but a pretty darned good mastering for the most part.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4947 - 05/17/14 at 02:45:04

I was just listening to some Santana as well (Abraxas Blu-Spec).  Just switched to Solo Monk (also Blu-Spec).  The latter reminds me of when my dad used to play piano for me as a kid.  Good stuff.

Any additional impressions about the HR-1's you care to share Mark?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4948 - 05/17/14 at 02:55:08

Lon,  I almost picked up a Japanese vinyl pressing of that but someone bought  it before I'd made up my mind.  I've got it on vinyl from it's original release...somewhere.  Great album!

This LP now...Love the tune "Solsbury Hill".  I saw Peter Gabriel in the early nineties here at Dallas' Reunion Arena.  Here's a DVD of a show from the same tour for anyone interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHlkWcnj2m0

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #4949 - 05/17/14 at 02:59:24

They don't make wax like they use to ; )

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100 101 ... 512
Send Topic Print