Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1827362 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #4950 - 05/17/14 at 03:13:52

Dave,  about the HR-1s...they sound good, not great yet but I probably have less than 10 hours of play on them so far. And as Lon said...they're a little edgy and thin at first.  I can tell they'll be great in time.  They will bring a warmer character that I was looking for. Also a more robust low end that I wanted.  For all the things the Zu Audio "Souls" do well...warmth is not high on the list.  Mark.

Time for a little Jazz.  This LP from Dusty Groove, next...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4951 - 05/17/14 at 04:09:16

This is a double LP put out by Verve in 1982 of recordings of the Bill Evans Trio in 1967 Live at the Village Vanguard. With Bill are Eddie Gomez and Philly Joe Jones.  Very nice...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4952 - 05/17/14 at 12:18:34

I'm sitting in my Den sipping my morning coffee...not really set up to do so in my Listening Cave or I'd be there with the HR-1s.  I have this one on vinyl and listened to  it last month.  This is a new copy from Dusty Groove, a 2007 24 bit remastered CD.  Some great 70's fusion. On my Taboo I flipped the New Lucid mode on and slipped on the Audeze Cans...AhAh...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4953 - 05/17/14 at 12:53:31

This next...great music but Sonny sounds a bit distant in the mix of these live tracks...Just remembered I had New Lucid Mode on.  With it turned off Sonny's more forward in the mix.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4954 - 05/17/14 at 12:54:46

This was a free download from my friendly music sharing "club". Interesting - probably not something I'll listen to again. I would classify it as Korean "country" Pop. The kid has a nice voice, but the album is a bit overcompressed and quite flat. Well recorded though.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4955 - 05/17/14 at 13:04:43

LR,  did you read the info on the Sinatra CD,  "Classic Sinatra"?  Sounds like someday we could get some much better remasters if the original tapes haven't degraded too much. I seem to have the ability to listen to and enjoy inferior recordings of great music.  This comes in handy especially if you like pre late 1950's recordings as Lon and I do.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4956 - 05/17/14 at 13:27:09

Another shared album - Christian Loffler - Young Alaska on Juno records.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWL4xRp5I8w&list=PLTGUAyXSZDRfg7h1hPBs5kCVpUQQLt...

Soft electronica. I know many of you don't get into this - it sounds pretty good, and he plays with sound is clever and fun ways. The first track he's throwing in a random high pitch frequency in a teasing way. Good beats, and he includes some ambient sounds - the track I'm on now has a sound like water dripping from icicles, including the reflections off whatevers around the water dripping. Kinda neat, I like this one for background music while I make breakfast.

Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4957 - 05/17/14 at 13:45:39

An old favorite.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4958 - 05/17/14 at 14:01:30

Quote:
LR,  did you read the info on the Sinatra CD,  "Classic Sinatra"?  Sounds like someday we could get some much better remasters if the original tapes haven't degraded too much. I seem to have the ability to listen to and enjoy inferior recordings of great music.  This comes in handy especially if you like pre late 1950's recordings as Lon and I do.  Mark.

I haven't gotten that far yet. And no, I don't expect them to completely eliminate tape hiss, it's just the Sinatra recordings I have in my collection, the tape his is a part of the band....

Thanks for the reminder though, I'm going to track down the remaster you mentioned.

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4959 - 05/17/14 at 14:03:23

On now - Solar Quest - OrgShip
Ambient/Electronica

And it's a snoozefest. Too ambient for Saturday at 8am. Moving on to something else in a minute.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4960 - 05/17/14 at 14:20:31

This is what Saturday morning is for.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4961 - 05/17/14 at 14:28:46

Palomino just texted me about a track on this album, so I tracked down the whole album to listen to. It's very percussion/guitar oriented progressive intrumental rock. I'm only one (long) track in, and it's very well recorded and I'm enjoying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrimhZogGu4

The track he recommended as his "reference imaging song" is Duende. (3rd track in). I like what I hear so far, so I'm going to let this play through.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4962 - 05/17/14 at 14:31:36

Lon,  I want details on the Ray Charles recording.  CD...Vinyl? Japanese?  I'd like a good sounding recording in any format.

LR,  doesn't sound like you read the Amazon buyer's review I gave you.  It was pretty informative.  I'm going to pick up "Classic Sinatra Vol. 2" when I see it...the review said it's mastering is far superior to Vol. 1 that I have.  If you find some of the Capital years  Sinatra recordings that sound good on your ZMA, let me know so I can get them.  I don't play Sinatra often but when I do, there's no one better...well, Tony Bennett is as good, just different.  Love em both!  Mark.  

PS...I'm back in the Listening Cave and finishing the Bill Evans LP on the TT.  Then this from HPB&Rs from yesterdays buy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4963 - 05/17/14 at 15:05:29

LR, I've heard that BLS. . . didn't do much for me. We're all different.

Mark, I"m listening to the version on the "Pure Genius" box set--sounds great. I also have the new Japanese 24 bit on the way I got the two cds with Milt Jackson from that series and ordered a few more, eventually I'll get all the Ray Charles in the 24 bit series because they sound so good.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4964 - 05/17/14 at 15:49:03

Lon,  I think I'll pick up that "Pure Genius" set when I see it for a good price.  I see they now sell it without the DVD, record player case and Big book...either edition is fine with me.  Let me know if the 24 bit Japanese versions are worth the extra expense after you hear them.

LP #1 from this two LP set, spinning now.  I can't believe what good condition these LPs are in. I don't know if this was standard but the inner paper sleeves are lined with a plastic type liner with the overlap taped to the paper on the outside. I love this music.  Live at Fillmore East is my favorite.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4965 - 05/17/14 at 16:05:37

Back to the Duke.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4966 - 05/17/14 at 16:23:16

Next is a 2009 180gm reissue of this.  If the rest of the album is like track one, this won't be a favorite...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4967 - 05/17/14 at 16:49:57

Quote:
LR,  doesn't sound like you read the Amazon buyer's review I gave you.  It was pretty informative.  I'm going to pick up "Classic Sinatra Vol. 2" when I see it...the review said it's mastering is far superior to Vol. 1 that I have.  If you find some of the Capital years  Sinatra recordings that sound good on your ZMA, let me know so I can get them.  I don't play Sinatra often but when I do, there's no one better...well, Tony Bennett is as good, just different.  Love em both!  Mark.

Nope, haven't had more than a few seconds on the internet here and there. Will read up when I have a chance. Thanks!

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4968 - 05/17/14 at 17:04:28

This LP next...Love Tommy...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4969 - 05/17/14 at 17:12:15

Just ordered this 4 LP set on Pop Market for $50 if anyone else wants to pick it up.  It's only on sale for 6 hours and sometimes these daily deals sell out fast.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4970 - 05/17/14 at 17:34:02

I've got to run but I just made another dusty Groove Buy (see below).  This was from the newsletter that came yesterday.  Most things I was interested in, as usual, were just sold out.  Even so, I managed to spend a little over a "Benjamin".  Until later,  Mark.

Item      Quantity/Format      Each      Total
Pete Rugolo — Brass In Hi Fi       1 LP       $1.99       $1.99
Buddy Rich — Swingin' New Big Band       1 LP       $1.99       $1.99
Jackie McLean — Tune Up (Fat Jazz/Jackie McLean Quintet)       1 LP       $9.99       $9.99
Jackie McLean — Hipnosis (2LP set)       1 LP       $13.99       $13.99
Thad Jones & Mel Lewis — Thad Jones & Mel Lewis & Umo       1 LP       $2.99       $2.99
Johnny Hodges — Triple Play (80s pressing – with bonus tracks)       1 LP       $4.99       $4.99
Count Basie — On The Road       1 LP       $4.99       $4.99
Count Basie — For The First Time       1 LP       $3.99       $3.99
Phineas Newborn — Look Out – Phineas Is Back!       1 CD       $3.99       $3.99
Thelonious Monk — Genius Of Modern Music Vol 1 (RVG remaster edition)       1 CD       $3.99       $3.99
Thelonious Monk & John Coltrane — Complete 1957 Riverside Recordings       1 CD       $4.99       $4.99
Roland Kirk with Jack McDuff — Kirk's Work (aka Funk Underneath) (RVG remaster edition)       1 CD       $6.99       $6.99
Grant Green — Green Street (Japanese pressing)       1 CD       $8.99       $8.99
Stan Getz — Sweet Rain       1 CD       $4.99       $4.99
Buck Clayton & Buddy Tate — Buck & Buddy       1 CD       $3.99       $3.99
Art Blakey — Big Beat (XRCD24 pressing)       1 CD       $19.99       $19.99

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4971 - 05/17/14 at 18:59:45

Nice haul.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4972 - 05/17/14 at 19:38:03

Coming back around this one while reading reviews on the DirectStream DAC.

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4973 - 05/17/14 at 20:33:38

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4974 - 05/18/14 at 00:03:28

Disc 7

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4975 - 05/18/14 at 02:04:20

Back in the Listening Cave.  This LP now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4976 - 05/18/14 at 02:19:13

I never heard this group before and while at HPB&R, I thought what the heck...I'll try it.  After LP #1 I'll go for the second LP posted.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4977 - 05/18/14 at 03:40:03

Side one of this LP.  Then off to bed.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4978 - 05/18/14 at 11:54:58

This CD now.  Good coffee sipping music...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4979 - 05/18/14 at 12:45:46

next CD...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #4980 - 05/18/14 at 14:36:11

Stumbled into this one - 3epkano  At Land

It's classified as "post rock" - whatever that is. It's got hard rock drums, rock guitars, mixed with stringed instruments (cello, violin, maybe some harp). It seems well recorded, and very dynamic and energetic. I'm just into the 3rd song on this album and already looking for more by this band! This really sounds fantastic on the ZMA, like this is what it was made for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOImkqtpbBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hVMckP-9vY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0X21rArztQ

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4981 - 05/18/14 at 15:56:16

In the Listening Cave spinning vinyl again.  This LP first...#1 of 2...

Lon,  I have one of the Omega Alinco XRS 7's hooked up with one HR-1.  I can tell the Omegas will also be great.  Unfortunately the Taboo MK III doesn't have enough guts at 4.6 wpc to drive them.  Both speakers have a sensitivity of 93 db.  So these will have to be used with the Torii only and not with the Taboo as I had intended.  I'm not sure the HR-1s will want to share the Torii once break in has occurred.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4982 - 05/18/14 at 16:13:47

Lon,  I forgot to tell you.  I ordered this yesterday....http://www.popmarket.com/details/27648895?feature_id=29846588

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4983 - 05/18/14 at 16:39:30

Have both Omegas hooked up now...they're brighter/sharper than the HR-1,  not as warm at this point...both sets of speakers have a long way to go with break in though. But the sound is quite nice even now...they're keepers!  The previous owner was trying to run these with a 5 wpc tube amp...which I know wouldn't work...as he found out.

PS...I'm almost finished with this album, "Pure Getz", and I have to say it sounds amazing through these Omega Super 7 XRS speakers.  To be fair, I've never listened to it with the HR-1s but I can say unequivocally that I could live with this pair of speakers happily.  I highly recommend others give them a try. I guess they were more broken in than I thought or they don't need much break in...don't know but I'm loving them.  I'll try the Zu Audio "Souls" with the Taboo amp but if they don't perform there, it may be time for them to find another home...three's a crowd, after all...hehe.

This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4984 - 05/18/14 at 17:41:20

Now some Keith Jarrett that I'm very familiar with. The cymbals are very Hot on this recording.  A bit much with the Omegas even with the treble controls turned down all the way.  I'll try this  LP side again with the HR-1s next, to see how they handle the cymbals.  Maybe I should switch back to the Raytheon 12AX7s rather than the  GE Triple Mica 5751's in the ZP3 and see if they warm things up? Mark.

PS...score one for the HR-1s...the cymbals are not too hot...just right!  They're not even too hot with the treble control at neutral.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4985 - 05/18/14 at 18:45:45

I really like the first half of that set! The second half, not as much.

Glad you are enjoying your new speakers, both pairs!

Just got back from FINALLY taking both my parents to church; my Dad has gone a few times with my this year, but my Mom wouldn't. Since my sister is in town I was able to convince her to come, she really enjoyed being greeted by people who hadn't seen her for nearly two years and she even went with us to lunch with all her children and three of her youngest grandchildren. Dad was really happy and I was proud to finally pull it off. They're both resting now, quite tuckered out, but it will happen again now that she sees it can be done.

Over at my place now and listening to

mark58 wrote on 05/18/14 at 16:13:47:

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4986 - 05/18/14 at 19:25:02

Lon,  I'm glad to hear the good news about your Mom.  My 82 year old Mom had a Total Knee Replacement on April 29th and I brought her home from rehab yesterday.  In my family, it's my father that has moderate Alzheimer’s  disease.  I've been going over and fixing dinner or taking him out for dinner every day since and will continue to bring or prepare dinner until my Mom is more steady on her feet.  I also have been and will continue to spend a few hours each afternoon/night over there.  My Dad doesn't drive so I've also been shopping and picking up prescriptions etc.  I'm not sure why my parents couldn't get all their prescriptions filled on the same day like I do.   I've picked up four different prescriptions in less than three weeks.  Oh well,  things could be much worse.  

Lon, I've gotten into a rhythm... when I ordered my Zu Audio speaker cables, I had bananas put on both ends so it's super quick to switch speakers.  I have to remember to switch the speaker impedance on the Torii too...the omegas are 8 ohm the HR-1s 4 ohm.  I've been playing one side of an album with each set of speakers.  They are both wonderful in slightly different ways.  But the HR-1s beat the Omegas handily overall as they should at four times the cost.

This LP just finished and this one is on now,  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4987 - 05/18/14 at 19:33:23

You're a good son Mark! I know how much this impacts your life!

Do your parents have the option of mail ordering prescriptions? I've set mine up on this and not only can you get three months at a time and a discount price but you can set them up for automatic refill, you just pay a bit of sttention but in general they just arrive in the mailbox.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4988 - 05/18/14 at 19:40:39

Wow,  I hadn't thought of that.  I'll look into it...sounds like a great idea.  I get all of mine filled the same day every three months except for one that can't be sent in the mail and has to be ordered monthly...it requires refrigeration.  But my parent's meds could all be sent through the mail.

While I've been paying the bills and checking their accounts, I've set up online bill pay to make things easier.

About being a "good son",  my Mom must tell me that at least once a week and her friends sometimes tell me as well...I guess I am.

I've got this LP in the queue next.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4989 - 05/18/14 at 19:58:39

I forgot to mention, this morning I bought these 6 LPs for $60, from an ebay seller.  All are said to be near mint except two that are VG++ and VG+ respectively.  Mark.

50s Vocal ELLA FITZGERALD Gershwin Song Book Vol 1 MGV-4013 Long Play2 ORIG UJ7

Jazz COUNT BASIE - JOE WILLIAMS The Greatest NM JAPAN EB304

50s Jazz COUNT BASIE Basie Plays Hefti NM! ORIG EB315

Jazz VE-2-2526 BUD POWELL The Genius Of Vol 2 2LPs NM EB279

60s Jazz CHARLES LLOYD QUARTET Of Course, Of Course CL-2412 MONO ORIG UJ23

Jazz Vocal SARAH VAUGHN More From Japan Live NM ORIG EB227

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4990 - 05/18/14 at 21:10:14

This LP now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4991 - 05/18/14 at 21:55:35

Next,  a 2008, 180 gm reissue of Billy Joel's "The Stranger"...this one brings back memories of High School/College. Hopefully I can find my original copy someday and compare. Very nice.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4992 - 05/18/14 at 22:19:41

Ok, before I have to shut everything off, I had to play Spanish Moon off of Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus" CD with the HR-1s...this one gave me chills...incredible.   Until later,  Mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24u0kHxC3ns

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4993 - 05/19/14 at 16:09:13

Continuing my experimentation...I brought my Zu Audio "Soul" speakers into the den and and hooked them up to my 4.6 wpc Taboo MK III.  Remember they sounded terrible new with this amp. Now, at least playing the XRCD below, they sound good with a maximum volume just above my usual listening level.  They are not well placed...can't be in this room...but the level of bass is pleasing and so far they aren't too "Hot"...cymbals sound just right and the mids...wonderful.  So maybe the Zu "souls" will work for speaker duty with the Taboo in the Den.  

I have been exchanging emails with the seller of my, new to me, Omega Alinco 7 XRS speakers...trying to sort things out.  I think soon he will be a Deware owner.  He has joined the forum, though he hasn't posted yet.  Welcome, William.

Again this CD is great...I could live with this sound in the Den if most of my CDs do as well...doubtful!  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4994 - 05/19/14 at 16:31:56

Next up...CD #2 of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4995 - 05/19/14 at 17:42:41

This via spotify.  Doesn't sound too good with speakers...no surprise.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4996 - 05/19/14 at 18:49:47

Back to CDs...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4997 - 05/19/14 at 19:47:54

CD #4 of this set.  Sounds wonderful with the Taboo and the Souls which aren't too Hot...cymbals are just right.  I'm very pleased with this arrangement. Why did I buy the Omegas, again?...hehe. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4998 - 05/19/14 at 19:54:35

I keep liking this one more and more.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4999 - 05/19/14 at 22:24:45

Ten minutes with Tony before I have to get ready to leave...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 102 ... 512
Send Topic Print