Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #5002 - 05/19/14 at 23:28:39

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Nick Danger

What about my
pickle?!

Reply #5003 - 05/19/14 at 23:51:48

Boston~ S/T (LP)

Hug your dog.
  IP Logged
Nick Danger

What about my
pickle?!

Reply #5004 - 05/20/14 at 00:46:58

Firesign Theatre~ Everything You Know Is Wrong (LP)

Hug your dog.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5005 - 05/20/14 at 16:44:49

Today I'm going to experiment a little in my Listening Cave. I have brought in the Taboo MK III and have it directly driving the Omegas now and earlier the HR-1.  The sound is very nice with both but the volume is not able to go very high but the level is enjoyable on both pair of speakers.  The HR-1s are 4 ohm, 94 db sensitivity and the Omegas are 8 ohm and either 93 or 95 db...I've read both and I'm not sure which is correct. Next I'll hook up the CSP3 to the Taboo MK III and see if that adds the missing volume.  This is the current CD playing and earlier I had Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus" playing...  Mark.

PS...My Cave is an eleven foot square with 8 foot ceilings and carpet on cement slab below, crammed full of crap...no formal sound treatment.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5006 - 05/20/14 at 17:09:32

Now I've added the CSP3 to the mix and I'm able to get more volume with adjustments to the Taboo and CSP.  I have to be careful not to go too high because then the Taboo meters start to dance and I can hear some distortion...clipping? occurring.  Overall, much better results with the CSP...no surprise here.  So a second CSP may be added in the future if needed.  Except the main system with the Torri MK IV, CSP3 and HR-1s,  nothing is settled and modifications and new equipment may be added in the future.  For now, I'll enjoy the varied sonic journey. This CD on now...lots of bass on this one. Mark

PS...I hooked up the HR-1s and restarted the CD...again a very pleasing result with a moderate increase in volume before distortion/clipping occurs. Next I'll try the ZP3 and vinyl.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5007 - 05/20/14 at 17:42:13

OK,  now the Taboo MK III, ZP3, and CSP3 with the HR-1s. I am able to get an adequate volume and nice sonic result from the above.  I'm using this very familiar LP. Next the Omegas with side two. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5008 - 05/20/14 at 19:23:22

I just finished playing Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" and have come to the conclusion that for Rock and probably more complex music... Orchestral/Classical or Big Band Jazz...the Taboo with or without the CSP3 won't cut it.  With the Pink Floyd LP, I wasn't able to get enough volume before distortion.  This combo works well with small group jazz that I listen to most.  This now.  I have the CD and recently bought the LP from Dusty Groove...very nice on the Omegas right now.  Mark

PS...By the way,  I just bought the Decware SE84ZSM Monoblocks that Mike had up for sale.  Can't wait to get them up and running in the den.  I just hope the Souls and Omegas play nicely with them without a preamp.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5009 - 05/20/14 at 20:23:52

This next.  A 180 gm Record Day Mono reissue.  Since Miles' recordings ran "Hot" I've switched back to the HR-1s and even with the Taboo...not the Torii...this LP sounds just right.

Bob, just emailed me wanting to know what I thought of the HR-1s so far.  I told him I hated them and wanted my money back...hehe.  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5010 - 05/20/14 at 21:00:54

Glad you're digging the speakers a lot!

Right now
LP

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5011 - 05/20/14 at 21:27:54

This LP next...still with the HR-1s.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5012 - 05/20/14 at 21:55:15

Original 1959 Mono version of this LP...sticking with the HR-1s...I'll switch to the Omegas for side two.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5013 - 05/20/14 at 22:40:06

This next...the guitar sounds heavenly with the Omegas.  I'll try it with the HR-1s tonight.  I have to leave soon.  Until Later, Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5014 - 05/21/14 at 13:54:06

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5015 - 05/21/14 at 15:08:28

The experiments with the Taboo in the Listening Cave, +/- the CSP3 were very helpful yesterday.  I think the Omegas were ok with the Taboo without a preamp, only for low level listening which may be OK in the den.  I'll try them with the Mono Blocks I bought yesterday, when they arrive.  I know that the Zu Audio "Souls" at 8 ohms, 99 db sensitivity will work well with any Amp.  

Today I've moved the Taboo back to it's home in the den with the Souls and Jolida 100 CDP.  This CD is playing now.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5016 - 05/21/14 at 16:55:40

This CD next...beautiful...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5017 - 05/21/14 at 17:15:12

SHM-CD

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5018 - 05/21/14 at 17:29:34

Mark,

Based on your speaker experiment yesterday what one positive thing would you say about each speaker (includes all relevant caveats of course)?

David

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5019 - 05/21/14 at 18:15:17

Dave, first,  my main purpose was to see if adding the CSP3 to the Taboo MK III would bring the usable volume to higher levels with the Omega Alinco 7 XRS speakers.  When I had tried these speakers in the den alone, I had only hooked one up and was underwhelmed with the result....only volume was evaluated.  I think if I had hooked both speakers up the result would have been better and Ill try this later.  I had initially bought these Omegas for the Taboo not the Torii.  In regards to volume, both the HR-1's and the Omegas performed about the same with the Taboo.  Acceptable for small group Music...Jazz for me, but not particularly well for more complex music whether it be Rock, Classical or Big Band.  For these the Torii and either of these speakers performed well.

What I think you're asking for, is a comparison of the two speakers...

The HR-1s are warmer and more forgiving when it comes to "Hot" recordings, poor recordings and LP surface noise (pops, clicks and scratch ticks).  They are still very detailed with great midrange and more than enough bottom end for me...stand up Bass is just right and cymbals, even on Hot recordings, pleasing to my ears. These are the winners overall and I expect them to improve with further break in...I doubt I have more than 15...20 hours on them.

The Omegas are great too...well worth the $1250 plus shipping that I paid for them.  They actually have even more detail than the HR-1s but are less forgiving.  You hear every scratch, tick and pop clearly. And with "Hot" recordings...especially the cymbals...they are too much even with the Torii MK IVs treble control turned down...3db cut.  But with good recordings these are very magical as are the HR-1s.  On some recordings I found myself forgetting which speakers I was listening to.  They are both fantastic when fed good recordings but with poorer or Hot recordings...the HR-1s are the clear champs...what I would expect for four times the cost. With the Taboo MK III +/- the CSP3 preamp both these speakers were limited in their performance.  These limitations were lifted when the Torii MK IV was used.  I hope the Omega's treble will cool off with age/break-in but the HR-1s with little break-in, I can find little to fault.  Hope this answers your question.

Also the Zu Audio "Souls" performance is some where between the above two speakers and perform well with both the Taboo and the Torii but only after a very, very, very long break in.  If you were to buy the Zu's, they have a 60 day trial period and you better start immediately with the lengthy brake in...at least 10 hours per day of louder than listening level dynamic music  for a month minimum before you give up on them.  They require a beating before they'll give up the goods and show you the magic hidden in those big 10" drivers.  I recommend all of these speakers and manufactures in general.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5020 - 05/21/14 at 19:08:46

Next,  the wonderful cacophony of Mingus...If you don't love Mingus...you ain't human...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5021 - 05/21/14 at 20:01:31

This CD next...a quartet with Chick Corea, Ron Carter and Grady Tate joining Stan Getz on this fine 1967 recording put out by Verve.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5022 - 05/21/14 at 21:30:04

This CD next.  This is the first CD in the 60 CD box set of "Living Stereo" recordings I bought for $85, that just arrived today.  It's hard to believe these were recorded in 1956...the sound quality is very good. I'm certain I'll have to get vol. 1 of this set...I've seen it on Amazon for $106...I think.  Mark.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5023 - 05/22/14 at 04:33:39

Fake Plastic Trees ... Cool

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5024 - 05/22/14 at 12:07:48

First CD this morning...XRCD24 of "The Big Beat" that was recorded in 1960 and features Lee Morgan on trumpet, Wayne Shorter on tenor saxophone, Bobby Timmons on piano, and Jymie Merritt on bass, with the leader, Art Blakey, on drums.  This is my favorite version of The Jazz Messengers and I have a Mosaic Box set of this line up...somewhere. Good Stuff. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5025 - 05/22/14 at 17:44:33

Back to music. A Japanese reissue version of this Blue Note CD...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5026 - 05/22/14 at 17:52:53

Grateful Dead, Dave's Picks 2014 Bonus Disc.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5027 - 05/22/14 at 18:29:23

CD #40 of this set.  Beethoven's 9th Symphony with Fritz Reiner and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra recorded in 1961.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5028 - 05/22/14 at 18:55:12

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5029 - 05/22/14 at 19:56:30

Lon,  what's that Chick Corea Album like?  This one next for me...

I've ordered "Living Stereo" Volume 1 (60 CD) companion set to Vol. 2 previously listed and the Woody Shaw Columbia box  and a couple other things from Amazon Germany. Saved about $36.  This "Living Stereo" Vol. 2 set is a gold mine...and so cheap,  about $1.42 per CD...less for Vol. 1.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5030 - 05/22/14 at 20:03:26

I've always liked this one Mark. Not the best sound, not the worst.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5031 - 05/22/14 at 20:26:21

Thanks Lon.  This next...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5032 - 05/22/14 at 20:31:56

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5033 - 05/22/14 at 21:23:30

This will be the last CD before I have to leave.  Maybe some vinyl with the HR-1s tonight...I hope.  I didn't get any time with the HR-1s yesterday!  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5034 - 05/22/14 at 21:35:19

Get those HR-1s going tonight!

Right now, at the request of a lady friend.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5035 - 05/22/14 at 22:13:27

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5036 - 05/22/14 at 23:06:05

Feets!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5037 - 05/23/14 at 10:32:17

Before hitting the sack last night I listened to one LP of four of this Record Day 180 gm 2011 set that arrived yesterday.  Mark.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5038 - 05/23/14 at 10:48:25

Most likely the best album ever!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5039 - 05/23/14 at 13:09:05

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5040 - 05/23/14 at 13:40:40

Nice choice Lon.  I need to try some Bill Evans with the HR-1s later today.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5041 - 05/23/14 at 13:44:12

My new pair keep showing me more and more, they're amazing speakers and they show me changes in power foundation, cabling, different masterings. . . and yet never sound clinical or dry and unforgiving. I really love them even though they have led me on a quest for the very best sources and cabling etc. that I can afford, they really show both strengths and weaknesses in anything they're hooked up to. Which would be disasterous for me and my collection of music that I love but doesn't necessarily sound GREAT,if they weren't as musical and dynamic as they are. I'm sure HDTs, etc. in the line are excellent too, but I wouldn't want to be without the full bodied tower sound of the HR-1.

Now, back at my parents for another day, listening to Beethoven piano trios on PHilips.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5042 - 05/23/14 at 16:17:57

The ERRs aren't shabby either, this trio is quite clearly delineated and presented with a bit more ambience than the HR-1s provide. Put Mom right to sleep too!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5043 - 05/23/14 at 16:46:12

Back home.  This CD in the den with Taboo/Souls...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5044 - 05/23/14 at 18:43:29

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5045 - 05/23/14 at 19:18:48

This recording on CD#5 from the 60 CD "Living Stereo" box...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5046 - 05/23/14 at 19:47:28

Time for a little Ella...CD #1

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5047 - 05/23/14 at 20:45:06

Horrible cover. Great music.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5048 - 05/23/14 at 23:10:19

Bauhaus ~ Burning From The Inside ...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5049 - 05/24/14 at 01:17:33

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 ... 512
Send Topic Print