Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #5051 - 05/24/14 at 01:40:44

God I thought that music and that show were so corny! But I thought Susan Dey was so so beautiful.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5052 - 05/24/14 at 02:47:57

I am dredging through the bottom of my collection. We will see how far down it goes.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5053 - 05/24/14 at 03:13:22

just make sure you remember the route back.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5054 - 05/24/14 at 11:32:51

Listened to LP  #1 of this before bed last night with both the Omegas and HR-1s...very nice.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5055 - 05/24/14 at 11:42:01

First CD in the Den with Hot coffee in hand. AAhhh,  nothing like a little Ella to start the day right.  This was recorded Live 3 months before I was born in 1958.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5056 - 05/24/14 at 12:05:22

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5057 - 05/24/14 at 13:05:11

Lon,  the fellow that sold me the omegas is thinking of buying a used stock CSP2 built in April 2010 to pair with his SS amp.  After I wrote a rather lengthy email, I realized I can't tell him what it sounds like...I've only owned the CSP3 with Jupiter Caps...clearly far more than he wants to spend.  I told him $450 shipped seemed like a good price for the CSP2 he was considering the seller was asking $550 plus shipping....do you agree?

Also since you have owned the CSP2 then the CSP2+ then a CSP2+ with Jupiter Beeswax caps,  I thought you might be able to tell him of the sonic benefits or differences with each progression.  Aside from the steel case and cleaned up internal layout, what is the difference between a stock CSP2+ and a CSP3?  His name is William and he is now a member here under the handle "Skyhorn".  Anyone else with advice is welcome to chime in.

Now I'm listening to the second set from June 4, 1994 of the below box set...fabulous.    Oh,  I almost forgot, I bought a pair each of the following tubes for my ZP3 in the 12AU7 spot. Can 12AT7 be use in the ZP3 or the 12AX7 spots filled with 12AU7 or 12AT7 tubes?...CIFTE 12AU7 (cryo) and Mullard CV4003 (12AU7) were purchased from the classifieds here. Mark.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5058 - 05/24/14 at 13:12:14

Another classic!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5059 - 05/24/14 at 13:37:32

Mark, somewhere in my box of stuff I have a really nice Mullard 12AT7, cryo'd I think, that I tried in the ZP3. . . no workee.

Personally I think that 550 is a decent price for a CSP2 in great condition. I have not heard the CSP3, but the CSP2 sounds just a bit more "classic tube preamp" than the CSP2+ with Jupiter caps, and not that different than the CSP2+without the caps upgrade (but doesn't have the input gain controls, does have the output gain controls). So if I were the seller I might stick to the 550, and I think the buyer would be very happy.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5060 - 05/24/14 at 13:39:38

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5061 - 05/24/14 at 14:11:52

I've moved to the Listening Cave now that I'm done with my morning coffee. Now for some quality time with the HR-1s, Torii and ZP3...Vinyl all the way.  This first from my HPB&R buy a week ago...Fantastic...Mark.

PS...I guess I should mention the CSP3 and Rega RP6 TT with Exact Cart...I'd hate for them to feel left out!  The Omegas aren't invited to the party this morning.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5062 - 05/24/14 at 14:40:57

My RP3 with the Exact cartridge and the TTPSU are such a great match with the ZP3. . . I love to listen to them. Paired to the Torii and the HR-1s it's sonic bliss.

Now, just masterful playing. Realistic sound.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5063 - 05/24/14 at 14:51:38

Yup Lon,  I know what you're talking about.  Our gear is almost the same for vinyl and with break in and better placement and some tweaking,  I should get close to where you are.  This LP now, a reissue of a 1956 recording.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5064 - 05/24/14 at 15:29:32

Next LP is another HPB&R purchase...

PS....Wow!...Jeff Beck's version of Mingus' "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" is a Trip!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5065 - 05/24/14 at 16:11:06

This LP next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5066 - 05/24/14 at 16:59:33

Next,  LP #2 of this.  The first two cuts on side 3 are live from the Fillmore East with Duane...just killer...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5067 - 05/24/14 at 18:15:24

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5068 - 05/24/14 at 19:33:46

Sounds different from the US version but sounds good.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5069 - 05/24/14 at 21:03:04

Good day spinning vinyl, Chet Faker (not a spelling mistake), Future Islands (seasons is a catchy song), Broken Belles, Junior Kimbrough and Beck

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5070 - 05/25/14 at 01:54:21

OK  Back in the Listening Cave.  When I arrived home, a package from an ebay seller was on the porch. It had 4 of 6 LPs I bought.  Not sure what happened but an email has been sent.  First I played the Ella below which wasn't the one I bought.  I bought the Gershwin Song Book Vol. 1 Mono in VG+.  This has tons of surface noise.  The second,  Lloyd was graded VG++. A bit generous.   The Lloyd is the original Mono version from 1966. Great Music.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5071 - 05/25/14 at 02:05:43

This is a Japanese reissue from 1981 of a 1957 Verve release....this is the correct LP.  Very nice.  Great condition...great sound.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5072 - 05/25/14 at 02:35:11

LP #1 of this 2 LP set released in 1978.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5073 - 05/25/14 at 11:15:15

First CD this morning in the Den.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5074 - 05/25/14 at 12:05:23

Next CD...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5075 - 05/25/14 at 13:47:07

Next I will be re-listening and taking notes of the 4 LPs from the seller on ebay whose handle is "rnadna1".  As I said, one LP purchased was not sent and the incorrect Ella LP was sent that had more than the acceptable amount of surface noise. I deliberately do not purchase online  any LPs graded below VG+.  I have most recordings on CD already and if the vinyl has a lot of ticks, pops or skips, why bother...I'd rather listen to the CD.  I sent him an email about the missing LP then another when I discovered the incorrect Ella LP.  His reply suggests he may be an Asshole...I will reserve final judgement until after my order has come to a final resolution.  Beware of this guy.  I went back and looked at his ebay store.  Almost every LP is graded NM with only a few VG++ or VG+.  After listening to the LPs once,  I can tell you that the Vinyl in almost every case has been over graded.  One LP graded NM had a scratch over almost an entire side that popped with each revolution and in two places required me to get up and move the needle forward, on the first side there was one skip requiring moving the tone arm forward.  Most of his NM graded LPs I would grade VG or VG+ under the Goldmine criteria that I just read. I've never given negative feedback before.  If I was less than satisfied I would just not give any feedback. Needless to say I won't be buying from this guy again as I had initially planned.  Mark.

PS...On the second play of these discs side one of LP #1 did not skip this time and has no visible scratches.  The same can be said for Both sides of LP #2 which I would grade NM.  The second side of LP #1 although it didn't skip this time, it did still have the pops due to the scratch over all but one track...This set will be sent back!

This double LP first...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5076 - 05/25/14 at 15:13:22

Next LP to be played again is the Mono 1966 version of Charles Lloyd's "Of Course, Of Course".  I will add my comments after listening.  Mark.

PS...this LP has four scratches on one side and one on the other.  Some are audible but brief and not too distracting.  This vinyl was graded VG++ and there was a " SOLD AS IS No Return" note on this listing  which wasn't present on the other listings. So I'll be keeping this one.  The Music is wonderful.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5077 - 05/25/14 at 16:00:44

This Basie LP next. This is the original 1958 Mono release.  It has no major scratches just a few small ones.  On playing, it has a baseline of surface noise that isn't too bad for a 56 year old LP.  The seller graded this vinyl as NM...I would call it between VG and VG+ which is probably about as good as you'll get for $10 for an LP this old.  I'll keep this LP.  Oh, by the way, the music is fabulous! Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5078 - 05/25/14 at 16:20:15

Lon,  just an update.  William bought the CSP2 he was looking at.  He paid the asking price and shipping but had the seller pick up the paypal fees.  He expressed his appreciation for our help.  If he gives his impressions via email to me I'll relay his thoughts here.

I'll listen to this LP again, next.  I don't remember a problem with this one.  I'll add comments later if needed.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5079 - 05/25/14 at 17:31:19

This LP next.  There shouldn't be a problem returning this since I didn't purchase it. But even though it has some scratches that are audible the sound quality is still quite good considering it's age...might keep it. I'd grade it a little above VG...maybe not quite VG+. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5080 - 05/25/14 at 17:54:39

OK Listen up Miles Davis fans.  Pop Market has a sale on several Miles Davis items in celebration of his birthday.  I'll give the link below.  You may have to register to see the prices and purchase something. This is a 24 hour sale but often things are sold out before the end. so if you think you might want something, order it quickly or it might be gone when you check back later.
http://www.popmarket.com/features/29848749

I bought a bundle of three record day 180 gm Mono Vinyl reissues for $46 with free shipping.  I recently bought "Kind Of Blue" and "Milestones" from Mike from Seattle so I know they're good. So I'll have a duplicate of the "Milestones" reissue...that's OK.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5081 - 05/25/14 at 18:41:32

mark58 wrote on 05/25/14 at 16:20:15:
Lon,  just an update.  William bought the CSP2 he was looking at.  He paid the asking price and shipping but had the seller pick up the paypal fees.  He expressed his appreciation for our help.  If he gives his impressions via email to me I'll relay his thoughts here.

I'll listen to this LP again, next.  I don't remember a problem with this one.  I'll add comments later if needed.  Mark.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/The_Greatest!!_Count_Basie_Plays,_...

Great Mark. I bet he likes the preamp!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5082 - 05/25/14 at 19:18:10

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5083 - 05/25/14 at 19:22:34

Love the Feat! I just sent an email to the ebay seller I spoke of earlier...this should be fun!  Mark.

This next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5084 - 05/25/14 at 19:51:11

This 180 gm vinyl set was a recent Pop Market purchase...pretty cool...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5085 - 05/25/14 at 20:35:17

Since the reissue 180 gm Billy Joel, "The Stranger" was so good,  I picked this up at HPB&Rs on Friday...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5086 - 05/25/14 at 21:01:37

Next, also from HPB&Rs a week and a half ago...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5087 - 05/25/14 at 21:26:54

This LP in Mono from 1965...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5088 - 05/25/14 at 21:47:55

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5089 - 05/25/14 at 21:52:56

Duke died 40 years ago today. This is the Japanese 24 bit remaster.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5090 - 05/25/14 at 22:10:04

It is Miles Davis' Birthday tomorrow and he's getting a street named after him in NYC.

This LP from Mike...very nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5091 - 05/26/14 at 10:59:28

First CD while I sip my coffee is one from this 6 CD set...truly Stellar.  It's one of those "Deserted Island" kinda recordings. I'm going to get a lot of time with the HR-1's today. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5092 - 05/26/14 at 12:09:44

I'm looking for impressions of the newish analogue productions Vinyl Prestige pressings...esp Mono Miles Quintet.  Also the Miles/ Gil Evans Mono RSD/legacy pressings.  I really like the Mono KOB and Milestones I got from Mike B here and have "Someday My Prince Will Come" and"Round Midnight" on the way.  Lon,  Mike, anyone else...help me out here. Mark.

When I get into the Listening Cave, I'll be spinning KOB and Milestones...right after I finish "Sketches Of Spain"  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5093 - 05/26/14 at 12:19:17

Can't help you Mark. I don't buy audiophile pressings of lps and no one has given me any of these!

On the Hoffman forum the very picky vinyl people there are very happy with all these.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5094 - 05/26/14 at 12:24:17

Yeah,  the Hoffman forums are a great resource...I've been there reading for a while this morning.  A bowl of soup for breakfast then into the Listening Cave for a few Slabs of Vinyl Miles.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5095 - 05/26/14 at 13:01:58

Settled in the Listening Cave.  RSD KOB spinning.  The HR-1s help tone the cymbals down on this "Hot" recording. Very Nice.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5096 - 05/26/14 at 13:59:00

RSD "Milestones" Vinyl now...

Lon, I was reading the  thread on Hoffman's fourms about best CD versions of the Miles Davis Quintet's Prestige albums...5 of them.  I saw that you like the XRCD versions better than the DCCs.  If you ever see them at a discounted price...new or used ...let me know via email.  What I really wanted to tell you though was as I was reading I remembered before I stopped buying music in the mid 2000's I picked up a Mosaic-like box set of these 5 albums put out by Analogue Productions APJ-035.  I was able to find it this morning.  It is #386 of 2500 and has a nice big booklet and Box that was made for the Vinyl version of the same Music put out by Analogue Productions.  The CDs are the DCC version gold discs and all are sealed.  It's like I just struck Gold.  Of course at this point I'd rather have the Vinyl versions.  I think Steve Hoffman did the mastering for both the CD and Vinyl...right?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5097 - 05/26/14 at 14:26:11

I think so Mark, I think these are Hoffman masterings. I'm not as up on audiophile releases, vinyl or cd, until the last three or four years when I've been enjoying some of the cd releases. Vinyl always sounds great to me, don't need to seek out audiophile pressings. CDs need some help so I look for definitive versions of the digital versions of albums I really like, and that's why I really like Blu-Spec and why I have been collecting SACDs (and SACD players).

I have not seen the XRCDs of those titles for a long time. The ones that I have that I like come in an lp facsimile version, probably the same mastering as any others. I've never seen other copies of the lp facsimile ones for sale, I got these from an online penpal I had for years who went to auctions and bought lots of imported cds and then sold them, very reasonably, and would always give me a headsup on any Miles Davis ones he found. But unfortunately he had a fatal heart attack about seven years ago. . . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5098 - 05/26/14 at 14:46:36

Five sides of Miles...that's enough for now.  Next LP #1 from this Columbia 'contemporary masters series" release.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5099 - 05/26/14 at 15:39:05

Next...nice...I bought it from an ebay seller.  I'm going through my ebay history to find out who and see if he has any more vinyl I want.  By the way, the ebay seller I was complaining about yesterday, sent an email and acknowledged  his mistake.  The two missing LPs are being sent and he said don't bother sending the Bud Powell back...Three of the four sides are perfect...so this is good.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103 104 ... 512
Send Topic Print