Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1826422 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #5100 - 05/26/14 at 16:20:40

Next a sealed LP reissue of this...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5101 - 05/26/14 at 17:25:20

Next this Live LP of Basie on RED vinyl...sounds good too...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5102 - 05/26/14 at 18:02:46

Now lp sides 9 and 10 from this box set...very nice

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5103 - 05/26/14 at 18:52:21

13 hours on the new cart so far. Boy oh boy
Big splurge on new albums cant be far off.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5104 - 05/26/14 at 18:58:37

Marky share!  What new cart?

This next.  One word comes to mind...Sappy or is it sugary... a couple steps away from 101 Strings...But the SQ is good...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5105 - 05/26/14 at 19:23:26

Bought this sealed reissue quite a while ago.  Just now spinning it...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5106 - 05/26/14 at 20:36:37

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5107 - 05/26/14 at 20:57:31

This LP next from HPB&Rs...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5108 - 05/26/14 at 21:49:08

This again.  Side one of this LP before I have to go...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5109 - 05/26/14 at 22:04:17

It`s a benz micro LP-S Mark. It`s a big leap from my DV 20x l. Similar output voltage so it went straight into the ZMC1.
40 hr break in and its already a delight after 15 hrs.
The ZP3 handles it with ease.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5110 - 05/27/14 at 15:14:18

OK,  I think I've joined the ranks of Nutty Vinyl Fanatics...I just bought a 45 RPM 180 gm Vinyl box set of Bill Evans Riverside albums and three of Miles Davis Quintet's Prestige albums in 200 gm Vinyl ...all from Analogue Productions plus a few XRCDs.  This Evans Box is the Bomb...see below.  It's only green pieces of paper...Right?  Mark.

PS...I bought them at Elusive Disc.  They have a 10% off and free shipping deal that expires at Midnight.

PSS...here's a description of the box.  If anyone buys something from elusive disc today please share your purchase with us here.

Here it is: THE Audiophile Jazz Fan's Box Set To End All Box Sets - All Of Bill Evans Riverside Releases Cut at 45 RPM PLUS The Cannonball Adderley Know What I Mean? Release For Which Evans Was Such An Important Contributor.

Of everything Analogue Productions has reissued, nothing has come close in sales or accolades to the 45-RPM versions of Bill Evans titles from his Riverside catalog. And now we've compiled all of them into one irresistible box set package. Includes facsimiles of each original jacket along with an 18-page booklet detailing Evans' career and Riverside era.

Titles Included: New Jazz Conceptions, Everybody Digs Bill Evans, Portrait In Jazz, Explorations, Sunday At The Village Vanguard, Waltz For Debby, Moonbeams, Know What I Mean?, Interplay, How My Heart Sings! and At Shelly's Manne-Hole.

Limited to 1,500 numbered copies. Pressed on 180-gram vinyl at Pallas in Germany.

ITEM#                DESCRIPTION                                                                                          
QTY    TOTAL    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
APLP0018-45          Bill Evans Riverside Recordings 180g 45rpm  22LP Bo      1      
$539.99  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APLPPR7200           The Miles Davis Quintet Steamin' 200g LP (Mono)          1      
$26.99    

APLPPR7094           THE MILES DAVIS QUINTET COOKIN'  200g LP (MONO)          1      
$26.99    

APLPPR7129           THE MILES DAVIS QUINTET RELAXIN' 200g LP (MONO)          1      
$26.99    

JVCXR-0049           KENNY DORHAM QUIET KENNY XRCD                            1      
$13.49    

JVCXR-0040           ZOOT SIMS QUIETLY THERE XRCD                             1      
$13.49    

JVCXR-0050           WYNTON KELLY TRIO & SEXTET KELLY BLUE XRCD               1      
$13.49    

JVCXR-0039           JOHNNY GRIFFIN LITTLE GIANT XRCD                         1      
$13.49    

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5111 - 05/27/14 at 16:33:52

I've started listening to CDs in the Den...This is a very nice XRCD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5112 - 05/27/14 at 17:42:11

When I first heard Norah on "The Tonight Show", I was smitten.  I Immediately bought this newly released CD.  Not long after this, I saw her Live in Dallas at SMU's Mcfarlin Auditorium.  I haven't listened to this in years.  A little Norah goes a long way.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5113 - 05/27/14 at 17:46:48

It freaks me out that I met her father in my room at boarding school in M'Babane, Swaziland (Waterford-Kamhlaba School) in '70.

She's a truly beautiful woman! I love her looks and her voice. I have the first two albums, not that crazy about the music beyond that.

Right now

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5114 - 05/27/14 at 18:31:12

So Lon, was this before or after his association with the Beatles?  I agree with losing interest in Norah's Music after the first two CDs. I also have a couple DVDs of her in Concert with her original "Handsome" band.  She was sooo young when I saw her...very nervous and uncomfortable talking on stage but then she'd begin playing.  She has a special way of doing standards,  I wish she would do a whole album of them...Maybe a Trio with her vocals ala Diana Krall.  I also liked her covers of tunes from "The Band" among many others.

This when Norah is finished...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5115 - 05/27/14 at 18:39:13

This was in '70, after the Beatles involvement. My roommate in my dorm in boarding school was one of Ravi's cousins and he came to visit. I believe he was originally from South Africa or at least had lots of family there. I didn't really know who he was before I met him, a very nice man.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5116 - 05/27/14 at 20:08:46

This is very nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5117 - 05/27/14 at 21:27:48

This now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5118 - 05/28/14 at 03:01:40

I've been back in the listening Cave for a while trying to evaluate a few changes.  Switched out the RCA Triple Mica 5814A in the 12AU7 spot of my ZP3 with a Mullard CV4003.  It certainly is different.  Maybe more airy,  very nice mid-range and Mel Torme's voice...amazing.  I need to find some female vocals...I've got some Ella on Vinyl.  I also put in some WW II Kenrad 5U4G rectifiers and placed  Herbies titanium dampers on the 5U4G and OA3 tubes in the Torii MK IV.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5119 - 05/28/14 at 16:40:48

Now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5120 - 05/28/14 at 17:54:43

Now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5121 - 05/28/14 at 18:17:14

Now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5122 - 05/28/14 at 19:08:59

Not much volume on this CD with the Taboo  MK III and Zu Souls for some reason...

PS...I'm able to get a little more volume with old lucid mode on but new Lucid mode doesn't sound good to me although it is even louder with it on.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5123 - 05/28/14 at 19:24:26

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5124 - 05/28/14 at 19:41:36

Now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5125 - 05/28/14 at 19:45:13

Oh baby
Oh baby
Let me hang out in your tree
I don't care how many squirrels have got their nuts out of your tree
I don't care how many cats done climbed up your tree
I wanted to grab it
But I wanted to check with your first
I got to have it
Oh baby
I want to climb your tree

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5126 - 05/28/14 at 20:09:54

"Shady Grove "

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5127 - 05/28/14 at 20:14:56

Kind of Blu-Spec 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5128 - 05/28/14 at 21:08:25

The new 50th anniversary disc. Mono tracks are interesting. I prefer this with phase reversed, if you can do this easily and have the disc give it a listen. I always do this with Reeves masters on Verve and Universal releases.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5129 - 05/29/14 at 02:03:54

Lon/Mark,

Do you know what the best digital versions of the below two Mingus albums are?  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5130 - 05/29/14 at 03:32:31

In my opinion the best are from the new Japan Warner 24 bit series. . . they are very nice sounding.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5131 - 05/29/14 at 04:10:53

Thanks Lon.  I just added them to my CD Japan bookmarks.  Very reasonably priced as well.  Cheers!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5132 - 05/29/14 at 11:27:45

Dave,  I'd trust Lon's opinion.  I do have these recordings in a CD box set that I haven't been able to find and haven't heard in over 10 years...Not much help.

I wasn't able to get any vinyl listening in yesterday but my purchase from Mike from Seattle arrived in the mail yesterday (see below).  I'm especially looking forward to the Art Pepper LP. Back in the late 80's and 90's, I remember seeing all of Art's Galaxy albums on Vinyl but I had stopped buying vinyl by then...what an idiot!

Art Pepper,  Landscape, on the Galaxy label
Amoroso, by Joao Gilberto
Coleman Hawkins encounters Ben Webster

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5133 - 05/29/14 at 15:13:27

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5134 - 05/29/14 at 16:08:18

I put both discs of this Concord set in for Mom, she's a Clooney fan, one of the few singers she can recognize now.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5135 - 05/29/14 at 16:32:16

OK,  It's time for CDs in the Den.  I'm replaying this one that's still in the CDP.  Everyone should at least listen to this once...free on spotify.  WONDERFUL...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5136 - 05/29/14 at 16:42:08

I'd like it better if it were just the quartet! Smiley Just not a Harman fan, I've tried for decades but he's just not my type of singer.

Enjoying the Rosey Clooney though, especially as it made my Mom chuckle. That hasn't happened in too long. Sad

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5137 - 05/29/14 at 17:12:56

Lon, One day we'll come here and I'll like Electric Miles and Late Coltrane....and you'll like Art Pepper and Johnny Hartman.  Stranger things have happened!  In the meantime we'll spin what we like and occasionally revisit those recordings we "don't get yet".  It took me a long time to "Get" the Second Great Miles Davis Quintet, I still don't particularly like some of the live versions of Miles Old Book that this group did.

CD one of this set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5138 - 05/29/14 at 18:41:24

I really don't think I'm ever going to start digging Hartman and Pepper any more than I do. I've given them plenty of chances, just don't feel them the way I do others. And life is getting shorter by the minute.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5139 - 05/29/14 at 18:50:38

I couldn't stand it.  I'm in the Listening Cave earlier than usual.  I've put my RCA Triple Mica 5814A Black Plate back in the ZP3 trying to figure out what the Mullard CV4003 was doing.  First up this reissue Ella...it's been two days since I listened to side one with the Mullard.  Ella sounds wonderful today but I really can't remember what the Mullard was like now....Argh.  I really like this RCA 12AU7 variant...my favorite so far.  I bought another for back up as well as an RCA Triple Mica Black Plate 6189, another variant.  I also have ordered a pair of 1957 RCA Black Plate 12AX7's to try.  Bringing my choices to three in the 12AX7 positions in the ZP3....have pairs of Raytheon 12AX7s and pairs of GE Triple Mica 5751's currently in the ZP3, which are my favorite for now.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5140 - 05/29/14 at 18:54:05

Lon,  that's the best cover and title this week!  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5141 - 05/29/14 at 19:39:28

Next, one of the LPs purchased from Mike from Seattle.  A tasty Live set recorded in Japan by the Art Pepper Quartet with "Mr. Beautiful", as Art called George Cables.  This is wonderful on vinyl with the HR-1's.  Yesterday, while in the Doctor's waiting room with my Mom for her post surgical follow up appointment, I began reading Laurie Pepper's new book...only about 30 pages into it.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5142 - 05/29/14 at 19:42:41

this double is growing on me

Before.

if you see a P.miniwat slanted `D`12au7 Mark they`re worth a listen Mark. Not dear either I was surprised.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5143 - 05/29/14 at 20:08:02

Lon,  I'll look for one.  I think it's probably similar to two Amperex 12au7s I've got...one from Holland one from Canada. I just started a little research and found the below table.  Explains why I like the RCA Black Plate 12AU7s...I'd put my favorite RCA Triple Mica 5814A in the same section...Warm, Smooth and Rich.  I agree with their assessment of the RCA clear tops....well everything essentially.  I have examples from all four sections...about two dozen 12AU7s...I've gone a bit crazy with this position in the ZP3.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5144 - 05/29/14 at 20:13:17

That position does really influence the sound of the ZP3, and the good news is you don't need matched pairs! Wink

Right now
The Japanese SACD (I bought the ridiculously expensive box set and maybe shouldn't have!)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5145 - 05/29/14 at 20:31:55

I love that Yes album...my favorite from them.  I'll end up getting an audiophile pressing sometime.  I just missed getting a Japanese pressing on ebay...someone bought it while i was trying to negotiate a multi LP deal.

This from Mike.  A 180 gm reissue from Classic Records, I believe...sounds great.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5146 - 05/29/14 at 21:27:34

This is the final LP in the last batch bought from Mike...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5147 - 05/29/14 at 22:26:41

This LP from HPB&Rs about 2 weeks ago...then I've got to leave.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5148 - 05/30/14 at 01:50:19

Interesting drums, not straight in rhythm, breathes yet huffs when needed

No piano to gel things together either via obvious chord changes or resolved tension, so it's a bit out there, but not so much so that it isn't approachable

A bit dry sounding, definitely wasn't recorded in a large live space

If the beat poets had a little too much dope they might be writing to this...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5149 - 05/30/14 at 02:49:37

American Analog Set...my favorite album is "Know By Heart", but this is a really close second.  

IMHO, the electric guitars in these recordings sound so natural....it's as if the guitars aren't eq'd to fit in the mix, rather the mixing focal point was the guitars.  Not sure if that makes any sense.

Good luck getting this type of guitar sound from a Pod modeling amp....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 ... 512
Send Topic Print