Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1826457 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #5150 - 05/30/14 at 03:16:31

Listening to this LP picked up at HPB&Rs two weeks ago.  This is a cleaner copy than I already owned. Love my Ponty...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5151 - 05/30/14 at 03:33:31

I have a stupid tube question.  When a seller says that a pair of tubes test 75/76 and 77/80 out of a nominal 100%, are they OK. Do they still have a lot of life in them?  What would the cut off between good and bad be?...50%?  

This LP now.  I must have bought this new and rarely listened to it.  I don't think a 33 year old LP could look or sound more pristine.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5152 - 05/30/14 at 04:52:28

That's hard to say. It depends on how it was measured, what scale he's using exactly, and what tubes. I often get NOS tubes that can measure 110% of what a new one is spec'd for. So 75% (if that's real) could be at the end of it's lifespan.

I wouldn't pay much for them.

Listening now - and it's just as nuts as you would expect from the pixie from Iceland named Bjork

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5153 - 05/30/14 at 17:46:48

Andrew Cyrille & Maono
Metamusicians' Stomp
Black Saint 120025-2

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5154 - 05/30/14 at 19:13:27

First CD today...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5155 - 05/30/14 at 19:18:45

I love this cd though I do wish it were not mastered so hot.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5156 - 05/30/14 at 20:08:54

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5157 - 05/30/14 at 20:11:10

this now...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5158 - 05/30/14 at 20:30:49

Been rocking out

Zep iv
R h chillies - By the way
Mahavishnu - Between nothingness and eternity

Now a laid back fav.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5159 - 05/30/14 at 20:49:18

Just arrived!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5160 - 05/30/14 at 21:16:50

now...

IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Reply #5161 - 05/31/14 at 02:24:32

Don't know how to attached the art work for albums. So these were the two LP's today:

Illinois Jacquet  "Swings the Thing"

Count Basie-Joe Tuner-Eddie Cleanhead Vinson "Kansas City Shout" ( a new purchase from the used record store today.)

Here are my other purchases from the today trip:

Ella Fitzgerald " Mr. Paganini"
Nancy Wilson "The Best Of"
Dakota Staton "Round Midnight"
Dakota Staton " Time To Swing"
Lena Horne "At the Waldorf Astoria"
Al Jarreau "High Crimes"
Al Jarreau "The Masquerade is Over"

These were all used, and my only new purchase is a Mobile Fidelity of
Alison Krauss & Union Station "so long so wrong"

Kevin in OKC!

Sys 1:Rachel,Blumenstein Deluxe Orcas,Teac UD-501,Regen,MacBook Pro,Silnote RCA's,Rega RP6 GT Sub-plater,CW,Dynavector 20X2H,Nova II Sys2:Torii JR,CSP3&ZP3,Omega Super Alnico Monitors w/Skylan stands,Teac UD-501,Regen,Mac Mini,VPI Prime TT w/Ortofon Black,GH Cable
  IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Reply #5162 - 05/31/14 at 02:26:00

Forgot to mention that Dusty Groove just got me for 37 LP's!

Yeah!

Kevin Smiley

Sys 1:Rachel,Blumenstein Deluxe Orcas,Teac UD-501,Regen,MacBook Pro,Silnote RCA's,Rega RP6 GT Sub-plater,CW,Dynavector 20X2H,Nova II Sys2:Torii JR,CSP3&ZP3,Omega Super Alnico Monitors w/Skylan stands,Teac UD-501,Regen,Mac Mini,VPI Prime TT w/Ortofon Black,GH Cable
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5163 - 05/31/14 at 02:42:10

Jason Isbell used to be a member of the Drive By Truckers.  He may or may not have partied too hard, and I think this might be a 'sober' album.  This was one of the better songwriter/rock albums of 2013.  Great songwriter and story teller.  Enjoy!

Note: If you like early Ryan Adam's (e.g. Heartbreaker) you will most likely enjoy this album.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5164 - 05/31/14 at 02:54:15

Kevin,  cut and paste your invoice from Dusty Groove.  I'd like to see what you bought and what you paid.  I always post my Dusty Groove orders here...not sure anyone looks at them.  Mark.

This earlier and then this...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5165 - 05/31/14 at 03:07:29

I'm trying to evaluate a new tube I put in the ZP3.  So I'm playing this again...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5166 - 05/31/14 at 11:39:43

Sippin' coffee in the Den with a little Basie...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5167 - 05/31/14 at 12:11:03

More of this set.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5168 - 05/31/14 at 13:31:55

Lon,  how do you like that Box. Is the sound Quality good.  I like Louis but sometimes the Hot Fives and Sevens recordings, even with all the remastering wizardry, just don't sound so hot.  This box, I assume is of later recordings although being Live they may not be as good as I would like.

I just opened a couple packages that came yesterday, three Mono Miles Davis 180 gm LPs from Legacy/Sony..."Round Midnight", "Someday My Prince Will Come", and another "Milestones"...this copy not numbered.

Also four tubes I bought from an ebay seller.  Another RCA Triple Mica 5814A...my favorite in the 12AU7 spot of the ZP3, a RCA Triple Mica 6819...another 12AU7 variant, and finally a pair of 1957 RCA Black Plate 12AX7's.  I really like the RCA Black plates...Warm, Smooth and Rich.  I doubt they will displace the GE Triple Mica 5751s as my favorite 12AX7 type in the ZP3, we'll see.  But they may find a home in one of my Jolida 100 CD players.

The French 12AU7, CIFTE 12AU7 (cryo), I tried last night with three LPs was different and nice.  Definitely not warm but I liked it although with Miles' KOB the the high end was a bit too sparkly for me but not unpleasantly Hot. This is Kevin Deal's description from Upscale Audio..."These tubes are made by Mazda, branded Cifte. They are quiet, and they have a wonderful 3D sense of space and nice top end sparkle. Not super warm...so if that's your bag go with a Mullard instead.   But not bright.  Kind of like a really cute 22 year old girl giggling 'cause she drank a few glasses of champagne.  Really pleasant."  I didn't hear a Giggling 22 year old but I did find them pleasant and will have to spend more time with them after I've given a quick listen to the four new tubes in the house.  Mark.

Now...Some nice late period Chet Baker Trio...Great...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5169 - 05/31/14 at 13:35:17

"22 year old girls" are women. Wink

I like the sound of what I have heard of this box set a lot. I'm an Armstrong fanatic. (Hey, we share the same birthday). I have this material in other editions. All that I have before and all I've heard in this box set are very well-recorded.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5170 - 05/31/14 at 13:37:52

Dad and I never tire of these pieces.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5171 - 05/31/14 at 13:57:50

Lon,  I may try that Louis.  I'll have to go read about it and buy before it's OOP.

Now some choice Ella...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5172 - 05/31/14 at 14:07:12

Since it was just released this week (a few weeks earlier than announced) I think you have quite a bit of time before you have to decide on this set. And several of the most important portions (Town Hall Concert, Chicago Concert) are out there available on cd from 'nineties release dates.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5173 - 05/31/14 at 14:31:20

Lon,  I can't tell you how many times I said I should buy a Mosaic set and by the time I remember to go buy it,  it's gone...OOP.  Most recently was Basie's Clef/Verve sessions and before that Basie's Roulette Studio work to name two. But no matter, there is far more Music available than I have time to listen to.  It's very doubtful that I'll make it through what I have, even once, before I leave this Planet.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5174 - 05/31/14 at 14:36:26

I hear you Mark. I've spent so much on music and I don't regret it but I need to curtail those expenses now and having a new girlfriend will help in a lot of ways. Smiley I had to pre-order this one though, as I am a huge Louis fan, and also because I correspond with the co-producer of this set, who runs the Armstrong home, a NY state landmark now, a great guy.

If you sign up for Mosaic's email list you'll get notice any time a set begins to run low. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5175 - 05/31/14 at 14:38:58

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5176 - 05/31/14 at 14:54:56

Lon, I'm on the email list and before that received the paper catalogs in the mail since the early nineties. It didn't do any good...my middle name should be "Procrastination".  i look at the OOP page at the Mosaic site and weep (see below).  I have paid up, well over retail, on ebay for some I had to have but many are going for Crazy, Silly Money and when you can get most of the Music in another format, I refuse.  Mark.

The Following Limited Edition Collections Are Out-Of-Print:
#101 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Thelonious Monk (4 LPs)
#102 The Complete Pacific Jazz and Capitol Recordings of the Original Gerry Mulligan Quartet and Tentette with Chet Baker (3 CDs or 5 LPs)
#103 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Albert Ammons and Meade Lux Lewis (2 CDs or 3 LPs)
#104 The Complete Blue Note and Pacific Jazz Recordings of Clifford Brown (5 LPs)
#105 The Complete Pacific Jazz Small Group Recordings of Art Pepper (3 LPs)
#106 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of the Tina Brooks Quintet (4 LPs)
#107 The Complete Blue Note Forties Recordings of Ike Quebec and John Hardee (3 CDs or 4 LPs)
#108 The Complete Recordings of The Port of Harlem Jazzmen (1 LP)
#109 The Complete Edmond Hall/James P. Johnson/Sidney De Paris/Vic Dickenson Blue Note Sessions (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#110 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Sidney Bechet (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#111 The Complete Candid Recordings of Charles Mingus (3 CDs or 4 LPs)
#112 The Complete Black Lion Vogue Recordings of Thelonious Monk (3 CDs or 4 LPs)
#113 The Complete Pacific Jazz Live Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman (3 CDs or 4 LPs)
#114 The Complete Art Hodes Blue Note Sessions (4 CDs or 5 LPs)
#115 The Benny Morton/Jimmy Hamilton Blue Note Swingtets (1 LP)
#116 The Complete Bud Powell Blue Note Recordings (1949-1958) (5 LPs)
#117 The Complete Verve Recordings of the Buddy De Franco Quartet/Quintet with Sonny Clark (4 CDs or 5 LPs)
#118 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Herbie Nichols (3 CDs or 5 LPs)
#119 The Pete Johnson/Earl Hines/Teddy Bunn Blue Note Sessions (1 LP)
#120 The Complete Recordings of the Paul Desmond Quartet with Jim Hall (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#121 The Complete Blue Note 45 Sessions of Ike Quebec (2 CDs or 3 LPs)
#122 The Complete Pacific Jazz Studio Recordings of the Chet Baker Quartet with Russ Freeman (3 CDs or 4 LPs)
#123 The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings, Volume I (23 LPs)
#124 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Freddie Redd (2 CDs or 3 LPs)
#125 The Complete Atlantic and EMI Jazz Recordings of Shorty Rogers (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#126 The Complete Johnny Hodges Recordings 1951-1955 (6 LPs)
#127 The Complete Candid Recordings of Cecil Taylor and Buell Neidlinger (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#128 The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings, Volume II (23 LPs)
#130 The Complete Recordings of T-Bone Walker 1940-1954 (6 CDs or 9 LPs)
#131 The Complete Recordings of the Stan Getz Quintet with Jimmy Raney (3 CDs or 4 LPs)
#132 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of George Lewis (3 CDs or 5 LPs)
#133 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Grant Green with Sonny Clark (4 CDs or 5 LPs)
#134 The Complete Commodore Jazz Recordings, Volume III (20 LPs)
#135 The Complete Roulette Live Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (1959-1962) (8 CDs or 12 LPs)
#136 Stan Kenton: The Complete Capitol Recordings of the Holman & Russo Charts (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#137 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Larry Young (6 CDs or 9 LPs)
#138 The Complete Capitol Recordings of the Nat King Cole Trio (18 CDs or 27 LPs)
#139 The Complete Candid Otis Spann/Lightnin' Hopkins Sessions (3 CDs or 5 LPs)
#140 The Complete Master Jazz Piano Series (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#141 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Art Blakey's 1960 Jazz Messengers (6 CDs or 10 LPs)
#142 The Complete CBS Studio Recordings of Woody Shaw (3 CDs or 4 LPs)
#143 The Complete 1959 CBS Charles Mingus Sessions (4 Q-LPs)
#144 The Complete CBS Buck Clayton Jam Sessions (6 CDs or 8 Q-LPs)
#145 The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Don Cherry (2 CDs or 3 Q-LPs)
#146 The Complete Decca Studio Recordings of Louis Armstrong and the All Stars (6 CDs or 8 Q-LPs)
#147 The Complete Serge Chaloff Sessions (4 CDs or 5 Q-LPs)
#148 The Complete Capitol Small Group Recordings of Benny Goodman 1944-1955 (4 CDs or 6 Q-LPs)
#149 The Complete Roulette Studio Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (10 CDs or 15 Q-LPs)
#150 The Complete Blue Note 1964-66 Jackie McLean Sessions (4 CDs or 6 Q-LPs)
#151 The Complete Solid State Recordings of the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis Orchestra (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)
#152 The Complete CBS Recording of Eddie Condon and His All Stars (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)
#153 The Complete Aladdin Recordings of Charles Brown (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)
#154 The Complete February 1957 Jimmy Smith Blue Note Sessions (3CDs or 5 Q-LP)
#155 The Complete Aladdin Recordings of Amos Milburn (7 CDs or 10 Q-LPs)
#156 The Complete Roulette Recordings of the Maynard Ferguson Orchestra (10 CDs or 14 Q-LPs)
#157 The Complete Capitol Recordings Of George Shearing (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)
#158 MIles Davis: The Complete Plugged Nickel Sessions (10 Q-LPs)
#159 The Phil Woods Quartet/Quintet 20th Anniversary Set (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)
#160 The Complete Capitol Recordings Of Duke Ellington (5 CDs or 7 Q-LPs)
#161 - The Complete Blue Note Andrew Hill Sessions (1963-66) (7 CDs or 10 LPs)
#162 The Complete Blue Note Lee Morgan Fifties Sessions (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#163 The Complete Capitol Studio Recordings of Stan Kenton 1943-47 (7 CDs or 10 Q-LPs)
#164 Miles Davis/Gil Evans: The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings (11 LPs)
#165 The Complete Illinois Jacquet Sessions 1945-50 (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#166 The Complete Blue Note/UA Curtis Fuller Sessions (3 CDs or 5 LPs)
#167 The Complete Blue Note Sam Rivers Sessions (3 CDs or 5 LPs)
#168 The Complete Capitol Fifties Jack Teagarden Sessions (4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#169 The Complete Columbia J.J. Johnson Small Group Sessions (7 CDs or 11 LPs)
#170 Classic Capitol Jazz Sessions (12 CDs or 19 LPs)
#171 Bill Evans: The Final Village Vanguard Sessions-June 1980 (10 LPs)
#172 The Complete Blue Note/UA/Roulette Recordings of Thad Jones (3 CDs or 5 Q-LPs)
#173 The Complete Verve Recordings of the Teddy Wilson Trio (5 CDs or 8 Q-LPs)
#174 The Complete Atlantic Recordings of Lennie Tristano, Lee Konitz & Warne Marsh (6 CDs or 10 Q-LPs)
#175 The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of the Chico Hamilton Quintet (6 CDs or 9 Q-LPs)
#176 The Complete Capitol & Atlantic Recordings of Jimmy Giuffre (6 CDs or 10 Q-LPs)
#177 The Complete Studio Recordings Of The Miles Davis Quintet 1965 - June 1968 (10 Q-LPs)
#178 The Complete Blue Note Blue Mitchell Sessions (1963-67) (4 CDs or 6 Q-LPs)
#179 The Atlantic New Orleans Jazz Sessions ( 4 CDs or 6 LPs)
#180 The Pacific Jazz Bud Shank Studio Sessions (1956-61) (5 CDs or 7 LPs)
#182 The Complete Verve/Clef Charlie Ventura/Flip Philips Studio Sessions (6 CDs or 9 Q-LPs)
#183 Miles Davis: The Complete Bitches Brew (6 Q-LPs)
#184 The Complete Peggy Lee & June Christy Capitol Transcription Sessions (5 CDs)
#185 Kenton Presents: Bob Cooper, Bill Holman & Frank Rosolino (4 CDs)
#186 The Complete Verve Stuff Smith Sessions (4 CDs)
#187 The Complete H.R.S. Sessions (6 CDs)
#188 The Complete Anita O'Day Verve/Clef Sessions (9 CDs)
#189 The Complete Kid Ory Verve Sessions (8 CDs)
#190 The Complete Django Reinhardt & Quintet Of The Hot Club of France Swing/HMV Sessions (1936-1948) (6 CDs)
#191 The Complete Columbia Recordings Of Miles Davis With John Coltrane (9 Q-LPs)
#192 The Complete Capitol Recordings of Gene Krupa & Harry James (7 CDs)
#193 Duke Ellington: The Reprise Studio Recordings (5 CDs)
#194 The Complete Blue Note Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams Studio Sessions (4 CDs)
#195 The Complete Blue Note Elvin Jones Sessions (8 CDs)
#196 The Complete Capitol Recordings of Woody Herman (6 CDs)
#197 The Complete Blue Note Horace Parlan Session (5 CDs or 8 Q-LPs)
#198 The Complete Pacific Jazz Recordings of Gerald Wilson and His Orchestra (5 CDs)
#199 The Columbia Jazz Piano Moods Sessions (7 CDs)
#200 The Complete Verve Johnny Hodges Small Group Sessions 1956-61 (6 CDs)
#201 The Complete Mercury Max Roach Plus Four Sessions (7 CDs)
#202 The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan & Wayne Shorter Sessions (6 CDs)
#203 The Complete Capitol Four Freshmen Fifties Sessions (9 CDs)
#204 The Complete Columbia Recordings of Mildred Bailey (10 CDs)
#205 The Complete Vee Jay Paul Chambers & Wynton Kelly Sessions 1959-61
#206 Classic Columbia Condon Mob Sessions (8 CDs)
#208 The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions (9 CDs)
#209 Miles Davis: The Complete In A Silent Way Sessions (5 Q-LPs)
#211 The Complete OKeh & Brunswick Bix Beiderbecke, Frank Trumbauer & Jack Teagarden Sessions 1924-1936 (7 CDs)
#213 Classic Columbia And OKeh Joe Venuti And Eddie Lang Sessions (8 CDs)
#214 The Complete Roulette Sarah Vaughan Studio Sessions (8 CDs)
#215 The Complete Blue Note Lou Donaldson Sessions 1957-1960 (6 CDs)
#216 The Complet Johnny Smith Roost Sessions (8 CDs)
#217 The Complete Brunswick & Vocalion Recordings Of Louis Prima And Wingy Manone 1924-1937 (6 CDs)
#219 The Complete Bruswick, Parlophone and Vocalion Bunny Berigan Sessions (7 CDs)
#220 Miles Davis: The Complete Blackhawk Sessions (6 Q-LPs)
#221 The Complete Verve Gerry Mulligan Concert Band Sessions (4 CDs)
#222 The Complete Verve Roy Eldridge Studio Sessions (7 CDs)
#224 The Complete Verve Tal Farlow Sessions (7 CDs)
#225 The Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson/Jazztet Sessions (7 CDs)
#226 Miles Davis: The Complete 1963-1964 Columbia Recordings (10 Q-LPs)
#227 The Complete Roulette Dinah Washington Sessions (5 CDs)
#228 Columbia Small Group Swing Sessions 1953-1962 (8 CDs)
#229 The Complete Clef/Verve Count Basie Fifties Studio Recordings (8 CDs)
#232 The Classic Argo, Emarcy & Verve Small Group Buddy Rich Session (7 CDs)
#239 The Lester Young Count Basie Sessions 1936-1940 (4 CDs)

Mosaic Selects - All 3 CD Sets
MS-001 Mosaic Select: Grachan Moncur
MS-002 Mosaic Select: Carmell Jones
MS-003 Mosaic Select: Bennie Green
MS-004 Mosaic Select: Randy Weston
MS-005 Mosaic Select: Paul Chambers
MS-006 Mosaic Select: John Patton
MS-007 Mosaic Select: Curtis Amy
MS-008 Mosaic Select: Duke Pearson
MS-009 Mosaic Select: Bob Brookmeyer
MS-010 Mosaic Select: Bud Shank/Bob Cooper
MS-011 Mosaic Select: Dizzy Reece
MS-012 Mosaic Select: Dave/Liebman/Richie Beirach
MS-013 Mosaic Select: Don Pullen
MS-014 Mosaic Select: Dexter Gordon
MS-015 Mosaic Select: Art Pepper
MS-017 Mosaic Select: Johnny Richards
MS-018 Mosaic Select: Freddie Slack
MS-019 Mosaic Select: Pacific Jazz Piano Trios
MS-020 Mosaic Select: Charles Tolliver
MS-021 Mosaic Select: Gerry Mulligan
MS-025 Mosaic Select: McCoy Tyner
MS-029 Mosaic Select: Onzy Matthews
MS-032 Mosaic Select: Pendulum

Mosaic Singles
MCD-1002 Bud Freeman: Chicago/Austin High School Jazz in Hi-Fi
MCD-1003 Al Cohn/Bill Perkins/Richie Kamuca: The Brothers!
MCD-1004 J.J. Johnson: J.J.!
MCD-1006 Charles Lloyd: Of Course, Of Course
MCD-1008 Lee Wiley: West Of The Moon
MCD-1009 Buddy Rich: Rich In London
MCD-1011 Jimmy Witherspoon: Goin'To Kansas City
MCD-1013 Woody Herman: Woody's Winners
MCD-1014 Duke Eington: Newport 1958
MCD-1015 J.J. Johnson & Kai Winding: Trombone For Two
MCD-1017 Jonah Jones: At The Embers
MCD-1019 The Helen Merrill/Dick Katz Sessions
MCD-1020 Helen Merrill: Casa Forte

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5177 - 05/31/14 at 14:58:45

Yes, I know. I made it a priority even in my lowest earning years and most spousal responsiblility fiscally years to get these sets and have ninety percent of those on the list, and each one now in print. It's a lot of effort and a lot of money. I expect they'll sort of decrease a little bit in value as cds disappear and the mateial becomes available as digital files, but maybe not.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5178 - 05/31/14 at 16:59:28

The new 50th anniversary disc again.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5179 - 05/31/14 at 17:08:50

Hey Lon,  I'm in an online conference, so not listening to music but looked up the CD you're listening to. I recently found my Verve Master edition of this as well as the Live at Carnegie Hall CD...an older, probably first CD version. Love this music.  How is the Mono version?  Are the recordings again remastered...if so by whom and how? Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5180 - 05/31/14 at 17:28:53

Remastered again, by Kevin Reeves. To be honest, though I often really like mono mixes, this album is very ineresting in stereo, especially because of the percussion. The mono isn't special in comparison. The mastering on this is nicer imo than on the VME, I have that and two SACDs, they all sound good.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5181 - 05/31/14 at 18:16:22

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5182 - 05/31/14 at 18:24:35

Currently listening to the 'The Wilderness' disc...

It's a very full and warm sounding mix, lots of bass...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5183 - 05/31/14 at 18:55:57

IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Reply #5184 - 05/31/14 at 20:16:34

Here is my order from Dusty Groove:Here is your completed order:
Name/Title_______________________________Format__Price____Quantity___Total
Bad Company ______________________________ LP     3.99          1     3.99
 Run With The Pack
 Item: 624143, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Cover has some wear.)

Count Basie ______________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Basie Big Band
 Item: 531674, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Cover has edge wear, some splitting and tape on the seams, and a cutout hole, with a sticker and a small rip on the back.  Label has a sticker.)

Basie In Sweden
 Item: 601238, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Pink & orange label pressing.  Cover has tape on the spine and a promo stamp on back.)

Basie's Beat
 Item: 469883, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: MGM pressing.)

Matt Bianco ______________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Matt Bianco
 Item: 602971, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Cover has remnants of a sticker on front.)

Angela Bofill ____________________________ LP     0.99          1     0.99
 Let Me Be The One
 Item: 475469, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Cover has a cutout notch.)

Joshua Breakstone ________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Echoes
 Item: 570359, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Cover has promo stamp & some wear.)

David Bromberg ___________________________ LP     2.99          1     2.99
 Out Of The Blues -- Best Of David Bromberg
 Item: 705201, Condition: Near Mint-

Crosby Stills Nash & Young _______________ LP     5.99          1     5.99
 So Far
 Item: 609878, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Cover has some light wear.)

Duke Ellington & Count Basie _____________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 First Time -- The Count Meets The Duke
 Item: 469984, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: 6 eye stereo pressing.)

Herb Ellis _______________________________ LP     5.99          1     5.99
 In Session With Herb Ellis
 Item: 576357, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Cover has some wear and seam splitting.)

Ella Fitzgerald __________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Ella In Hollywood
 Item: 51985, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: MGM pressing.)

Frankie Goes To Hollywood ________________ LP     4.99          1     4.99
 Welcome To the Pleasuredome
 Item: 358494, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Includes the printed inner sleeves.  Cover has some light staining.)

Hiroshima ________________________________ LP     0.99          1     0.99
 Hiroshima
 Item: 516341, Condition: Very Good

Lena Horne _______________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Soul
 Item: 479149, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Cover has a name in marker, with a bent corner tha is covered with clear tape.)

It's A Beautiful Day _____________________ LP     3.99          1     3.99
 It's A Beautiful Day
 Item: 525068, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Cover has some ring & edge wear.)

Illinois Jacquet _________________________ LP     2.99          1     2.99
 Banned In Boston (aka Illinois Jacquet)
 Item: 574794, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Cover has a promo stamp, tape on the spine, and WGN letters on back.)

Illinois Jacquet _________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 King Jacquet
 Item: 362754, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: French gatefold pressing, from the mid 80s.  Cover has some notes on back.)

Bob James ________________________________ LP     3.99          1     3.99
 Hands Down
 Item: 448038, Condition: Near Mint-

Al Jarreau _______________________________ LP     0.99          1     0.99
 All Fly Home
 Item: 17457, Condition: Very Good- (NOTE: Cover has a promo stamp & some wear.)

Al Jarreau _______________________________ LP     0.49          1     0.49
 Heart's Horizon
 Item: 551539, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Includes the printed inner sleeve.  Cover has a cutout notch.)

Elton John _______________________________ LP     5.99          1     5.99
 Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy
 Item: 563140, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Later non-gatefold pressing.  Cover has some waviness & a name stamp.)

Jonah Jones ______________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Hit Me Again!
 Item: 703666, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Gold label Star Line pressing.  Cover has some wear, some stains, a split spine, and a partially split top seam.)

Lil' Ed And The Blues Imperials __________ LP     4.99          1     4.99
 Chicken, Gravy & Biscuits
 Item: 605033, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Cover has a cut corner and some wear.)

Mike Morgan & The Crawl __________________ LP     3.99          1     3.99
 Raw & Ready
 Item: 705618, Condition: Near Mint-

Jeffrey Osborne __________________________ LP     0.49          1     0.49
 Don't Stop
 Item: 510481, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Includes the printed inner sleeve.)

Pieces Of A Dream ________________________ LP     0.99          1     0.99
 Joyride
 Item: 84309, Condition: Near Mint-

Lloyd Price ______________________________ LP     5.99          1     5.99
 Misty
 Item: 4159, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Cover has a small bit of a sticker in one corner.)

Lee Ritenour _____________________________ LP     2.99          1     2.99
 Rit
 Item: 523850, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Including the printed inner sleeve.)

Marlena Shaw _____________________________ LP     0.99          1     0.99
 Take A Bite
 Item: 21109, Condition: Very Good+ (NOTE: Cover has a cut corner and a sticker on front.)

George Shearing __________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Shearing On Stage
 Item: 503767, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Original pressing.  Cover has splitting on the top seam.)

Dakota Staton ____________________________ LP     0.49          1     0.49
 Late Late Show
 Item: 476833, Condition: Very Good- (NOTE: Yellow label promo pressing.  Cover has a promo sticker, a small split on the top seam, tape on the bottom seam and part of the spine, a three-inch rip in on the front, and some pencil and WGN letters on the back.)

Dakota Staton ____________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Madame Foo Foo
 Item: 74431, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Cover has some wear.  Top seam has a split.)

Sarah Vaughan ____________________________ LP     2.99          1     2.99
 After Hours (Roulette)
 Item: 60127, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Multi-color bar label pressing.  Cover has seam splitting with masking tape along the spine & seams.  Cover has a small rip near the spine, some pen, and a promo stamp.)

Sarah Vaughan ____________________________ LP     1.99          1     1.99
 Golden Hits
 Item: 446397, Condition: Very Good (NOTE: Black label pressing.  Cover has a spot of tape on the spine.)

Sippie Wallace ___________________________ LP     0.99          1     0.99
 Sippie
 Item: 579553, Condition: Near Mint- (NOTE: Cover has a promo stamp and tracklist sticker.)

Thanks!   Smiley Shocked

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5185 - 05/31/14 at 20:41:31

Kevin,  Nice prices and selection.  I've got a lot of the Jazz albums, mainly on CD.  I haven't been buying anything graded lower than VG+ and even some of these and NM LPs have more noise than I'd like.  But these were so inexpensive, I can see why you tried some lower grade LPs.  Thanks for sharing. Mark.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5186 - 05/31/14 at 22:44:58

Listening to one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs…'Echoes'

Nighttime Listening + Decware + PF Echoes = Out of Body Experience

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5187 - 05/31/14 at 23:47:42

Enjoying some "downtempo" music  (much like Portishead if you're familiar).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03BJ4n8ptSU

Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #5188 - 06/01/14 at 02:44:01

Listening with my MacBook Pro as the source with Audirvana into the PS Audio DAC via USB…tone is great, but imaging is borderline terrible….images are soft…

IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Reply #5189 - 06/01/14 at 04:20:34

Just purchased these from Music Direct:
LDM1143      LOREENA MCKENNITT - THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY (LP)-LOREENA MCKENNITT - THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY (LP)

$19.99

LDR9111      RODRIGO Y GABRIELA - 9 DEAD ALIVE (COLORED LP)-RODRIGO Y GABRIELA - 9 DEAD ALIVE (COLORED LP)

$19.99

LDS81751      HORACE SILVER QUINTET - SONG FOR MY FATHER: 75TH ANNIVERSARY (LP)-HORACE SILVER QUINTET - SONG FOR MY FATHER: 75TH ANNIVERSARY (LP)

Kevin (OKC) Go Thunder!
Smiley Grin

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5190 - 06/01/14 at 12:50:14

Starting the day with Bill.  CD #4 of the Riverside Box...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5191 - 06/01/14 at 14:52:27

Trying something new again - Árstíðir - Self Titled

It's Icelandic Indie-Folk. Very mellow and pleasant. Exactly what I needed. Oh, and I'm surprised to hear the songs are in English, at least the 3 I've heard so far. They appear to be very talented bunch of musicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mXBFusca4&list=PLCFEA65AB5996BB88

Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5192 - 06/01/14 at 15:42:43

Change of pace - I didn't understand this album when it came out. Today, I better understand why it's said to be their best.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5193 - 06/01/14 at 15:50:19

Best of the Beastie Boys....sounds like one of those Oxymorons like "Military Intelligence" or "Affordable Healthcare Act".  My health care policy went up 20% this year, biggest yearly increase yet...real affordable! Back to Music.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5194 - 06/01/14 at 17:16:19

Forums are flaking out for me, not showing new posts. I'll clear my cache and cookies and see what's up.

Anywho - Bri made me stop playing Paul's Boutique so I moved on to this - watched this movie last night, really enjoyed it. Soundtrack isn't bad either, done by Arcade Fire.

mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5195 - 06/01/14 at 21:59:03

I have about an hour to spend in the Listening Cave.  I switched the  RCA 5814A back into the ZP3 and packed up the RCA 6189...it didn't best the 5814A in the 12AU7 spot in the ZP3.  I'm still running the pair of newly acquired RCA Black Plate 12AX7s but don't like them better than the GE triple mica 5751s so i may try them in the Jolida 100 CDP in the Den in place of the Raytheon 12AX7s I have there. In the end it appeared the RCA 12AX7s were nice and warm but there was a bit less detail than the GEs that were also quite warm.  The GE's go back in the ZP3 tomorrow.

In the past two days I've played several of the 180 to 200 gm audiophile Mono LPs of Miles Davis' First Great Quintet, seven in total.  Of the  three 200 gm prestige LPs from Analogue Productions, I've listened to "Relaxin'"...it's awesome...a bargain for $27. This Mono 180 gm legacy pressing is spinning currently.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5196 - 06/01/14 at 22:24:04

Man, it's going to be hard to pick a favorite between the RCA 12AX7s and the GE 5751s...maybe a tie with slightly different flavors?  This Keith Jarrett LP is sounding gorgeous.  Cymbals not too bright...just right, Bass...awesome,  Piano...real sweet. I'm not going to change anything for a while.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5197 - 06/02/14 at 03:01:26

Back in the Listening Cave...this LP now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5198 - 06/02/14 at 03:35:23

now...

IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Reply #5199 - 06/02/14 at 05:20:54

Currently spinning the Lp version of Cecile McLorin Salvant "Woman Child" on the Mack Avenue label Mac1072LP. It's Fantastic!

Kevin
Cool

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 106 ... 512
Send Topic Print