Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #5402 - 06/16/14 at 00:57:40

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5403 - 06/16/14 at 01:36:18

CD #3 of this 6CD set...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5404 - 06/16/14 at 02:44:28

This now...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5405 - 06/16/14 at 14:42:53

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5406 - 06/16/14 at 16:54:23

Just began spinning CDs in the Den with the Omega /Monos combo...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5407 - 06/16/14 at 17:56:49

Next CD...This one has Art Pepper playing some tenor, very rare, in addition to his alto sax. Recorded December 1976.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5408 - 06/16/14 at 18:54:58

K2 20 bit version of this...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5409 - 06/16/14 at 19:25:54

This cd...I'm thinking about getting this on on MFSL Vinyl...

PS...This CD has quite a few spots of distortion that, after a little research, I found out  is on the original recording and also on the MFSL along with a significant amount of tape hiss and rumble.  So even though the music is amazingly good...I'll pass on the MFSL vinyl and listen to the two CD copies I have.  But if I should run across a cheap original pressing, I might pick it up.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5410 - 06/16/14 at 20:28:49

A Japanese cd remaster from 1986 of this 1956 recording released by Contemporary  Records...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5411 - 06/16/14 at 21:16:49

This Japanese CD next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5412 - 06/16/14 at 22:06:47

Next CD...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5413 - 06/16/14 at 23:45:43

1. Does anybody else find themselves playing a certain artist or album in constant rotation despite having a proportional library where it could be months or years before you can repeat it again?  

2. Does anybody have a favorite album that they have had for at least 20 years or more and still find it in constant rotation?

As far as recent albums that I have been turned onto (by Lon and Pale Rider) ... but that I've had for a couple of years now ... Steven Wilson's Insurgentes is in constant rotation and sometimes in repeated play a couple times per day.

As far as an album of 20 years or more that has never been out of rotation it's the Beatles' Revolver and still played a lot though less often is Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny.  For some reason I don't tire of these recordings.

What about you guys?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5414 - 06/16/14 at 23:53:22

I should add one more now that I'm thinking about it and that would be Radiohead's Kid A

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5415 - 06/17/14 at 01:04:14

I play Miles Davis, Duke Ellington and Jimi Hendrix far more often than my huge library of recordings would normally warrant.

Albums in constant rotation in my collection include:

Miles Davis "Bitches Brew"
Jimi Hendrix "Band of Gypsys"
Duke Ellington "Ellington Indigos"
John Coltrane "Crescent"
Charles Mingus "East Coasting"
Grant Green "Feelin' the Spirit"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5416 - 06/17/14 at 01:59:23

I'm in the Listening Cave.  These are the first two LPs...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5417 - 06/17/14 at 02:09:21

@ Lon, I'm not a major fan of jazz, but I recently picked up a Japanese Re-master of John Coltrane's Lush Life ~ and I have to say, this is just an excellent recording and has also been in rotation since I picked it up a few months ago far more than I ever thought it would.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5418 - 06/17/14 at 02:29:32

Next LP...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5419 - 06/17/14 at 02:34:32

Yes H, I probably have about five versions of that on lp and cd, it's one that the audiophile labels like to license. I read that RVG said that being there at that session was one of the delights of his long career, he thought it was one of the very finest he ever participated in.

That said, as much as I like Coltrane of the Prestige era, there was so much more for Coltrane to discover and even more musical milestones and I prefer the Atlantic and Impulse Coltrane by a wide enough margin. . . he just stretched even further into his musical universe and inspired and brought along so many others aterwards.

Just got home and started breaking in a new set of Gold Lion Genalex KT-66 cryo'd tubes with, coincidentally, a magnificent Coltrane release:

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5420 - 06/17/14 at 03:02:53

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5421 - 06/17/14 at 03:52:28

Last LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5422 - 06/17/14 at 16:25:11

I ended with Art and I'll begin with Art.  This is a 2 CD Proper set that starts with Tunes from Art Pepper's Stan Kenton days, the first recording from 1943, and goes to smaller groups up to 1952...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5423 - 06/17/14 at 18:36:56

Sounds better 2nd time round. This ones going to bloom on me. 180gm x 2

Soft Machine "live at Het Tuffschip" 1970

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5424 - 06/17/14 at 18:37:06

This one's well recorded. the vocals are amazing with the Monos/omega combo..

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5425 - 06/17/14 at 20:45:33

(Phase inverted)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5426 - 06/17/14 at 21:05:35

CD #8 of the Galaxy box...i think this is more of a series of Japanese concerts...I think there are 4 CDs from these performances...excellent...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5427 - 06/17/14 at 21:07:34

Blu-Spec 2

Everytime I listen to this I marvel more and more at her mastery.

IP Logged
KMokc
Seasoned Member

Reply #5428 - 06/18/14 at 02:01:57

LP's already tonight:

Bad news though I think I may have a problem with my ZP3, will play with it tonight and see.  :-[

Sys 1:Rachel,Blumenstein Deluxe Orcas,Teac UD-501,Regen,MacBook Pro,Silnote RCA's,Rega RP6 GT Sub-plater,CW,Dynavector 20X2H,Nova II Sys2:Torii JR,CSP3&ZP3,Omega Super Alnico Monitors w/Skylan stands,Teac UD-501,Regen,Mac Mini,VPI Prime TT w/Ortofon Black,GH Cable
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5429 - 06/18/14 at 02:56:14

Back home and listening to  some music before bed.  This CD...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5430 - 06/18/14 at 04:04:44

Just about done with this CD...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5431 - 06/18/14 at 12:45:49

More of Art Pepper's Japanese concerts circa 1979...CD #7 of the Galaxy Box...I've put the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s back into the Monos...they sound nice with a toned down top end.  I think I'll pick up some more or maybe some Amperex 6922s.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5432 - 06/18/14 at 13:51:40

This CD now...

Does anyone know where Brimar 6922's were made and what they sound like? Also, since I'm asking questions, can 12AY7/6072 tubes be use in the 12AX7 spots of the ZP3?  What would be the difference sonically?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5433 - 06/18/14 at 15:34:26

CD #4 of 6 from this Box...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5434 - 06/20/14 at 18:02:28

Looks like I'm the first to post on the newly opened forums.  I listened to this last night.  MFSL 180 gm vinyl.  Sounds wonderful...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5435 - 06/20/14 at 18:50:03

This CD now...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5436 - 06/20/14 at 19:12:12

A side or two of Franks triple of guitar solos.
This disc - " Shut Up `n Play Yer Guitar Some More"

ps...sure missed the forums

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5437 - 06/20/14 at 19:35:36

This next...

Marky, before too long everyone will discover the forums are back up and things will be back to normal.  So far no glitches, Steve.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5438 - 06/20/14 at 20:33:25

ps Steve ( Mr D ? ) yes no glitches. I`m usually active on the pc playing chess having put work behind me now so was checking in regularly. Seemed like an eternity   Smiley

pps Now have RCA dbl getter rectifiers in ZP3 and CSP2+ both. Enjoying the music.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5439 - 06/20/14 at 20:50:10

Next CD...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5440 - 06/20/14 at 21:22:58

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5441 - 06/20/14 at 21:45:57

Marky,  I'm not familiar with that cover  Is that the Impulse album with the tracks...Africa, Greensleeves, and Minor Blues played by the Quartet and a bunch of other players including Eric Dolphy?

I just got my Second Sylvania Triple Mica Black plate 5751 in the mail today.  I've already popped them into the ZP3 and will be trying them out tonight.  I've picked up a lot of used and new vinyl I've yet to play.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5442 - 06/20/14 at 22:29:42

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5443 - 06/20/14 at 23:39:22

Thanks Marky.  I'm not sure I've heard that one.  I've got the complete Coltrane on Prestige as well as the Impulse Quartet Box and a bunch of single CDs and LPs.  If you like Coltrane, the Impulse albums are the Best, in my opinion.  I forgot, the Atlantic Box set...recordings are pretty good too.

I couldn't find my copy of this but picked up a clean LP at HPB&Rs today for 6 bucks.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5444 - 06/21/14 at 00:08:36

I swapped out the 7308 I had recently put in the CSP3 for the stock tube and took out the Mullard CV4003 and put back in the RCA Triple Mica Black Plate 5814A.  Now I'm back to what I've used until recently so I can evaluate the Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate 5751s I put in the 12AX7 spots of the ZP3.

The Heavy Weather LP sounded a little Hot at times.  With the tube changes and the below LP things have cooled off and sounds wonderful.  This is the Analogue Productions 200 gm Vinyl of this Prestige album...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5445 - 06/21/14 at 00:51:13

mark58 wrote on 06/20/14 at 21:45:57:
Marky,  I'm not familiar with that cover  Is that the Impulse album with the tracks...Africa, Greensleeves, and Minor Blues played by the Quartet and a bunch of other players including Eric Dolphy?

I just got my Second Sylvania Triple Mica Black plate 5751 in the mail today.  I've already popped them into the ZP3 and will be trying them out tonight.  I've picked up a lot of used and new vinyl I've yet to play.  Mark.

As I was the one that pointed out I think it is a newer reissue of Coltrane's material for Savoy, all that material can be found on this release:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/11243-the-complete-savoy-sessions-wilbur-harden-jo...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5446 - 06/21/14 at 00:57:47

Another 6 dollar LP from HPB&R...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5447 - 06/21/14 at 01:41:41

This is a Rhino Vinyl 180 gm reissue...very nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5448 - 06/21/14 at 01:52:36

Lon,  I guess I do have the music on that  Coltrane LP.  I know I have the CDs in the article...finding them is an entirely different matter. Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5449 - 06/21/14 at 11:00:20

Re John Coltrane - "Africa". 180gm HQ virgin vinyl on DOXY label
It`s a reissue, of I think the "Africa brass" album of  1958.

side A
1. Dial Africa    8:42
2. Gold Coast   14:34

Side B
1. Tanganyika Strut 9:57
2. Oomba     5:31
3. Once in a While 9:28 ( bonus track )

W. Harden - trumpet, flugehorn
C. Fuller - trombone
J. Coltrane - sax
T. Flannagan - piano except " Once in a while "
A. Jackson - bas
A. Taylor - drums
H. Williams - piano on " Once in ........

The middle 3 tracks seem like excellent mono or narrower stereo than the brilliant stereo of the first and last track.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 109 110 111 ... 512
Send Topic Print