Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #5450 - 06/21/14 at 11:07:04

Actually, not a reissue of "Africa/Brass" as that was an Impulse album recorded three or four years later. . . .Rather it is a reissue of material recorded for Savoy co-led by Wilbur Harden.

This is an article about the release that reissues the complete sessions.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/11243-the-complete-savoy-sessions-wilbur-harden-jo...

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5451 - 06/21/14 at 13:02:26

Marky, I wouldn't buy LPs from Doxy.  They are a gray market company that uses unlicensed recordings for their LPs.  I would guess commercial CDs.  You can get legitimate Vinyl for between 15 and 30 bucks or less if you're willing to buy used.  I'm looking at what Elusive disc has and found three of the Impulse Coltrane albums for $16 on 180 gm vinyl (see below).  I have to do some research to see if they measure up in sound quality. I've been very happy with the vinyl reissues I've gotten from Legacy/Sony, Rhino, Analogue Productions, MFSL...all for between $27 and $14.

Thursday night I scored a NM Mosaic  Complete Monk on Blue Note (4LP) for $77.50.  I think this might have been Mosaic Records first reissue.  Yesterday I got a Jimi Hendrix Mono "Axis: Bold as Love" on 200 gm QRP Vinyl for 14.50 and a Jeff Beck "Blow By Blow" half speed mastered LP from CBS Mastersound for $10.50.  All these were auctions on ebay.

CD #6 of Art Pepper's Galaxy Box is spinning as I type...more from Japanese Concerts.  Mark.

http://audiophile.elusivedisc.com/search?p=Q&srid=S12-USCDR02&lbc=elusivedisc&ts...

http://www.elusivedisc.com/JOHN-COLTRANE-COLTRANE-180g-LP/productinfo/AIMP%20215...

http://www.elusivedisc.com/JOHN-COLTRANE-CRESCENT-180g-LP/productinfo/AIMP%20200...

http://www.elusivedisc.com/JOHN-COLTRANE-BALLADS-180g-LP/productinfo/AIMP%20156/...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5452 - 06/21/14 at 13:15:43

I`ve just been reading about the DOXY label and out of copyright material which is fair game. Could be the album was recorded from cd ( shock horror) or`needle drop`. I`ve had one or two albums lately bought new, and sealed but found there to be a couple of ticks as if it were an older album. Would this be a `needle drop` album.
Guess it`s a minefield with reissues and public domain albums. I`m going to try and source more `pukka` recordings in future.

edit. just read above post Mark. Thanks

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5453 - 06/21/14 at 16:08:59

Marky,  what's "pukka" mean?  Some people seem ok with gray market LP sound...just know what you're actually getting...a copy of a cd or lp, not a remastered recording sourced from the official Analogue Tape...sometimes transferred into digital from which the Vinyl is cut.  To my ears, those cut from digital masters from the analogue tapes usually sound good.  I'm not a crazed purist by any means and let my ears and the opinion of others who have actually listened to the LPs in question, guide my purchases.  It amazes me how some over at the Steve Hoffman site can go on and on about reissue Vinyl even before it's been released.  But I do find opinions over there helpful.  

I have to get back to Vinyl now.  Forgive me for not posting what I'm spinning but these Sylvania Triple Mica Black Plate 5751's I've put in the ZP3 are mesmerizing and render me incapable of paying attention to the computer.  Bye, Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5454 - 06/21/14 at 17:27:02

It's used in English slang as meaning "authentic, legit"--it's actually a Hindi word I believe.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5455 - 06/21/14 at 18:05:37

Yes sorry, Pukka would be the real deal, proper. The album sounds like it is the genuine article and could be as I`ve read even taken from a high def cd. As they are supposedly lossless, and again hopefully taken from master tapes to get the high def, then the cutting tool for the `new gray reissue` wouldn`t be fast enough to follow the digital ups and downs of binary 1 and 0`s but smooth them out like a smoothing cap.

I found a site yesterday that I`ve bookmarked.
http://www.forcedexposure.com/New/NewIndex.html

...but, having another look they`ve got loads of DOXY albums. hm
right I`ll ignore that site then.
Marks site must be about the best for new/nm vinyl.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5456 - 06/21/14 at 20:09:50

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5457 - 06/21/14 at 20:43:03

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5458 - 06/21/14 at 21:50:06

Carnegie Hall '47

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5459 - 06/21/14 at 22:55:41

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5460 - 06/23/14 at 14:02:54

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5461 - 06/23/14 at 23:33:10

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5462 - 06/24/14 at 00:22:05

OK,  it's time to start sharing what I'm listening to again.  Today my order from Mosaic Records and Elusive Disc arrived.  Also another Sylvania Gold Brand Black Plate Triple Mica 5751 arrived...It is now with the other Gold Brand I have in the ZP3.  I also got one of the military version of this tube, so now I have a pair of them too.  I think the Gold Brand and Military version are the same tubes with different print. I think the tube I just put in is nos and needs a little burn in.

This is spinning now and prior to the Monk I listened to a 180 gm Pure Pleasure reissue of Laura Nyro's "New York Tendaberry".  It's far better than the original I have...very quiet and no distortion...the original recording and mastering were bad.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5463 - 06/24/14 at 00:50:06

A MFSL 180gm reissue.  I haven't listened to this LP in over 20 years...sounds nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5464 - 06/24/14 at 01:43:19

OK,  I'm listening to the MFSL Mono reissue of "Milestones".  I prefer it over the Sony/Legacy reissue.  It is warmer and seems to have nicely taken the edge off of Miles' horn and Philly Joe Jones' cymbals...of course this finding might also be due to different tubes in the ZP3...I'll have to listen to the Legacy LP again soon to tell for sure.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5465 - 06/24/14 at 02:29:59

Next up I'm playing a CD...the first in weeks in my Listening Cave.  This is a MFSL Gold Disc.  This brings back memories of Jr. High School. This may have been the only Yes album I had back then...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5466 - 06/24/14 at 19:18:37

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5467 - 06/24/14 at 19:29:44

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5468 - 06/24/14 at 20:45:53

New Order "Brotherhood"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5469 - 06/24/14 at 21:21:06

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5470 - 06/24/14 at 22:06:11

Lon,  I love that concert and the two LPs that came from it.  I recently bought the MFSL 180 gm LP "Four and More" and will buy their reissue of "My Funny Valentine" when it is finally released.  Preorders are being accepted. Is your copy a SACD or are you listening to it out of the White CD Box like me?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5471 - 06/24/14 at 22:39:57

I'm listening to the MFSL SACD, it was released about two weeks ago (sometimes they release the lp first, sometimes the SACD). Sounds fantastic. I find that SACD through my Denon 100th Anniversary SACD player (a really under-priced gem of a machine) or my Arcam SACD player (sometimes I use that in my main system, mostly it's in my second system) can sound as good as audiophile vinyl through the CSP2+ with Jupiter caps into the Torii Mk III with Jupiter caps.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5472 - 06/25/14 at 13:41:49

This favorite before the market opens...

Lon,  a question...does the ps audio PWT play SACDs?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5473 - 06/25/14 at 13:54:52

No, it does not. I mostly use my Denon DCD-A100 for SACD, it's a fantastic machine, built to be a 100th anniversary flagship, and priced way lower than it should have been. I got one at a further discount a year ago--I'm excedingly happy with its sound. It's good with Redbook as well, and you can access the DAC by USB, coaxial and optical, though the Redbook and all but SACD are a bit better from the PS Audio DAC Mk2, the Denon is far from a slouch. A friend bought one of the last I saw listed after comparing his Oppo to mine.

SACD is very good, but the gap between that and Redbook on my PS Audio DAC Mk2's redbook sound is not large, more different than one is better.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5474 - 06/25/14 at 14:04:05

Lon,  so it sounds like for someone with thousands of Red Book and only a few Hybrid/Duel layer SACDs...me!, the PWT would be the way to go.  I read about how it works...makes sense.  What connection is needed to use the PWT with a non PS Audio Dac or Dac portion of a CD player?  Could I bypass the Jolida 100's transport and use the PWT for transport?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5475 - 06/25/14 at 14:07:26

The PWT outputs digital data from coaxial digital, balanced digital, and optical digital as well as HDMI (but it's a proprietary HDMI, not standard, so it will only work for PS Audio PerfectWave DAC and DirectStream DAC, and also Wired4Sound have adopted the same protocol).

If your Jolida has a digital in in coaxial or optical you could use the PWT to feed that.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5476 - 06/25/14 at 15:22:45

Lon,  I just looked at the back of the Jolida 100...just coaxial output and analog output via RCAs.  So it would appear that I couldn't use the PWT as a transport.  Mark.  

PS...the link is the back of the Jolida 100 CDP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jolida-JD100a-Tube-CD-Player-/291174866575?pt=US_CD_Play...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5477 - 06/25/14 at 15:42:26

Right Mark, the PWT won't help you with the Jolida. You'd need a DAC to utilize it.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5478 - 06/25/14 at 18:53:30

OK,  I listened to CD #12 of the art Pepper galaxy recordings and currently to the Jan. 10, 1958 session that produced Coltrane's album "Lush Life" on Prestige...from the big red Box..."John Coltrane: The Prestige Recordings"

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5479 - 06/25/14 at 19:30:33

picture disc

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5480 - 06/25/14 at 19:38:42

CD #1 of 2 of this set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5481 - 06/25/14 at 19:50:02

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5482 - 06/25/14 at 20:08:34

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5483 - 06/25/14 at 20:37:52

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5484 - 06/25/14 at 20:45:44

I'm back in the Listen Cave for some vinyl.  Last night things didn't sound right with the ZP3.  I wasn't sure what the problem was but things sounded thin with little Bass. It may be that the newest Sylvania Gold Brand Triple Mica Black Plate 5751 tube was screwing things up...maybe it just needs more time for break in.  Anyway,  I pulled the 5751s and put in a pair of 1957 RCA Black Plate 12AX7s with the RCA Triple Mica Black Plate 5814 and things again sounded good.  I played the first half of this album and now am playing side two.  Sounds great...warm, plentiful, tuneful bass. Next up will be this original LP that arrived in the mail today.  Mark.

PS...I looked up the "Time Out" LP on discogs...it's a 1959 first pressing Mono, 6 eye that so far sounds great, the second side looks to have more scuffs that may not be very audible, the cover has a couple splits but looks pretty good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5485 - 06/25/14 at 22:03:13

Next a 1964 Stereo first issue of this one...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5486 - 06/25/14 at 22:31:13

Next the first side of this MFSL reissue, then I've got to go...
Mike B. from Seattle had asked me to comment on this LP.  The sound on this Stereo MFSL version far surpasses the 70's reissue I have...dead quiet and the orchestra just sounds much fuller and bigger.  This is a real winner.  I haven't heard the Sony/Legacy version yet but on "Milestones" and "Round About Midnight" where I have both the MFSL and Legacy, all of which are Mono, I prefer the MFSL versions that I find quieter and warmer...seeming to take the edge off the trumpet and cymbals even more than the Legacy LPs that did a nice job of this too.  Is it worth buying the MFSLs if you have other versions of these LPs...Hell Yes! Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5487 - 06/26/14 at 17:39:37

Listening to CD #11 of Art Pepper's Galaxy Box.  I have switched to the Zu Audio "Soul" speakers and with the Bugle Boy 6DJ8s the sound is a bit too dark/warm...with the Omegas they were great.  Anyway, I've popped in the Amperex 7308's again...much better.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5488 - 06/26/14 at 19:33:52

More Pepper from the box...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5489 - 06/26/14 at 19:36:04

Playing the other side of this from yesterday evening.while the tubes warm up.

I dont know how good u-tube is when it`s all connected up to the amps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiYK7GlrUG4

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5490 - 06/26/14 at 19:45:18

Back to this SACD as the CSP2+ that the SACD player is hooked up to is all warmed up. Sounds great.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5491 - 06/26/14 at 19:59:27

Next CD...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5492 - 06/26/14 at 20:07:09

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5493 - 06/26/14 at 21:19:08

cd #9 out this box.  These tracks were recorded during a session from November 1957 with Red Garland as leader and were found on four lps.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5494 - 06/26/14 at 23:52:49

In the Listening Cave...LP #1 of this set first...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5495 - 06/27/14 at 00:26:40

LP #1 of this 4 LP mosaic set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5496 - 06/27/14 at 01:15:51

Not sure I've played this LP since I've gotten the HR-1's into the Listening Cave.  Sounds nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5497 - 06/27/14 at 01:58:59

This original 1970 first pressing in great shape...sounds excellent...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5498 - 06/27/14 at 02:45:09

More Joni...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5499 - 06/27/14 at 03:39:37

Next LP...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 ... 512
Send Topic Print