Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1823393 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #5500 - 06/27/14 at 14:10:17

I've been enjoying the high resolution lately.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5501 - 06/27/14 at 16:20:04

I'm listening to CD #13 of the Art Pepper Galaxy Box. I have listened to 8 of 16 CDs recently but I'm unable to find the first jewel case with CDs #1 through 4.  For a Man with such a turbulent life, the 3 1/2 years recording for Galaxy were consistently excellent...No duds...Live or Studio.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5502 - 06/27/14 at 18:40:11

Evergreen adventure.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5503 - 06/27/14 at 18:53:07

Listening to the Brazilian cd (the US cd is a Verve titled simply "Jobim") and the Brazilian sounds much better, demo quality disc.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5504 - 06/27/14 at 19:46:06

Staying with some jazz/rock/fusion. Into the 2nd side of 4 of the Softs third album. Heavy maan   Smiley
CBS

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5505 - 06/27/14 at 21:45:46

Old Soft machine drummer. Low key, niche music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5506 - 06/28/14 at 13:33:15

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5507 - 06/28/14 at 14:15:48

I bought a half dozen LPs at HPB&R after work yesterday.  This is the first...

Marky suggested  sharing what we are running in the 1,2 and 3 slots of the ZP3.  I think it's a great idea and here's the thread below and my post...

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1403873748

Marky...sounds like a good idea...this morning my line up for the one, two and three spots are....

1) Sylvania Gold Brand Triple Mica Black Plate 5751
2) 1957 RCA Black Plate 12AX7
3) RCA Triple Mica Black Plate 5814A

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5508 - 06/28/14 at 14:57:34

Looks like an interesting line up Mark. I must get some RCA`s.
Meanwhile I`m really looking forward to an order I placed today with amazon.

G.Dead - Dead Set dbl 180 gm
Grant Green - Idle Moments
Bill Evans - Waltz for Debbie 180 gm

all new, appx $80 from US inc shipping.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5509 - 06/28/14 at 14:59:29

Another from HPB&R.  This appears to be a first issue from the US.  It badly needs a cleaning but it's in pretty good shape..sounds good.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5510 - 06/28/14 at 15:09:29

Great choices Marky.  What manufactures for the Grant Green and Evans albums?  I ordered an Analogue Productions Box set of Evan's Riverside albums on 45 rpm 180 gm Vinyl from Elusive Disc over a month ago...still on back order even though they said it'd be available for shipment on June 2nd.

The "Workingman's Dead" I have would appear to be a 1990 reissue...sounds OK but has a tiny defect in the Vinyl that causes a skip on one song...but still a clean LP for 6 bucks...not bad.

PS...RCA Black Plate anything is sure to be good!  I love them.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5511 - 06/28/14 at 15:21:55

Next up is a super clean copy of this...sounds fantastic.  I'm off to discogs to figure out what version I have here.  I already had a recent copy purchased from HPB&R but when I saw this copy yesterday for 6 bucks...had to buy it!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5512 - 06/28/14 at 15:33:35

New SHM-CD from Japan. Sounds excellent, the detail of the sound of the Gibson is unlike I've ever heard this material before.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5513 - 06/28/14 at 15:59:53

This next.  I already looked this one up last night.  It's a Canadian 1972 release of "Hendrix In The West"...Super clean for 12 Bucks at HPB&R...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5514 - 06/28/14 at 17:16:19

Now LP #1 of this double LP set of Keith Jarrett's European Quartet performing at the Village Vanguard in 1979. I much prefer the Standards trio.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5515 - 06/28/14 at 17:36:24

OK.  I'm going to compare side one of this from the Sony/Legacy reissue to the MFSL reissue.  I'll add my opinion later.  Mark.

PS...I'm almost done listening to both copies of this LP.  Both are excellent and individual taste will distinguish which you prefer.  The MFSL is quieter and "Softer"...the cymbals are less forward and less hot than with the Legacy LP.  The tone on the MFSL is warmer than the Legacy.  The Legacy seems to be more detailed.  Overall, I prefer the MFSL but they are both wonderful. The MFSL retails for $30 the Legacy for $25...you choose or do like I did, and buy both!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5516 - 06/28/14 at 19:06:29

LP #2 of 4 from this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5517 - 06/28/14 at 19:50:59

Next, a nice 1984 Japanese reissue of these 1955 recordings...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5518 - 06/28/14 at 20:15:51

next...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5519 - 06/28/14 at 20:28:59

The Grant Green album is on Decca (UMO)
The Bill Evans is on Wax Time, another public domain
operator. Great quality reviews but.......well I dont know if I
can keep pre-checking. Maybe the original labels should reissue
or if they`ve packed up they`re going to have serious contenders for
sought after music. It`s not as if it`s main stream music.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5520 - 06/28/14 at 20:57:56

"Hard Labor"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5521 - 06/28/14 at 21:03:45

This just arrived in the mail from an ebay seller... CBS Master Sound Half Speed Mastered of Jeff Beck's "Blow By Blow" with vinyl in NM condition...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5522 - 06/28/14 at 21:48:59

cant remember buying this one, but it`s v/clean.
Bit frenetic but the guitar style makes a change.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5523 - 06/28/14 at 21:53:48

Here's another from the same ebay seller.  A 180 gm Mono reissue remastered by Bernie Grundman...

PS...Marky, my Half Price Books and Records has at least 50 of these gray market LPs...many great titles...for about $13.50 each. Many on wax time but also Doxy and others.  I've been reading comments on these gray market issues and like you said, many are pleased with the sound. A Steve Hoffman thread is below.  Maybe I'll try one of an LP impossible to find otherwise.

On Amazon, it looks like they are asking about 30 bucks each...way too much.  A MFSL 33rpm 180gm LP costs that much when in print.

By the way, most Bill Evans' Riverside output is available as a OJC/Fantasy reissue regular vinyl for about $16 at Elusive Disc.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/wax-time-records-new-vinyl-reissues.303108...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5524 - 06/28/14 at 22:31:50

This on OJC Vinyl...sounds good...

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #5525 - 06/29/14 at 16:43:42

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5526 - 06/29/14 at 17:49:58

I'm playing the first lp and played the second...today in the ZP3 i'm running

1) the same Sylvania Gold Brand 5751
2) the same RCA 12AX7
3) popped in a GE Triple Mica Black Plate 5814

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5527 - 06/29/14 at 18:49:13

LP spinning now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5528 - 06/29/14 at 19:21:52

LP # 1 of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5529 - 06/30/14 at 02:34:31

I've been listening to LPs all day but not posting.  I've been busy bidding on one guy's auctions, afterwards I offered to buy 8 more LPs, he countered and I accepted.  So I ended up with 15 LPs but the best part...I hope you read this Mike B...is that I picked up 10 Art Pepper LPs all with VG+ or better vinyl. I already had about 4 or 5. I'll list them below.  Mark.

Living Legend
The Trip
Maiden Voyage Sessions Vol. 3
True Blues/Milcho Leviev Quartet
No Limit
Tete a tete
Art Lives
Live in Tokyo/besame mucho
Art Works
So in Love

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5530 - 06/30/14 at 16:01:36

Keep going back to this box set, Dad loves it, timeless music in good sound.

Haven't been able to do much listening to my own music lately. Been spending more time with the lovely Lucinda, and it's eating into my listening time but I'm not complaining.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5531 - 06/30/14 at 18:26:44

CD #14 of 16 from the Art Pepper Galaxy box...soon I'll have more of this on Vinyl...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5532 - 06/30/14 at 19:28:15

I`ve been giving my tuner a run out for a change. Classical on radio 3 BBC. Coming up in 10mins is Berlioz`s Benvenuto Cellini....3hrs worth
   :-[
Still I`ve got to expand.....tbh I`ve a hankering for some quartet stuff, I think the Decwares will do them proud and my new cart has an ebony body which they say is v/good at wooden instruments, cello etc.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5533 - 06/30/14 at 19:35:16

CD #10 of the Prestige Coltrane Box...

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5534 - 06/30/14 at 21:37:58

This one's for Lon ... (I think he'd be proud of me Cheesy)... Of course I'm playing it as FLAC files through my PC. Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5535 - 06/30/14 at 21:41:51

Great one! I can remember when I first heard that in the 'seventies, it was the first time that I really got Monk, and it also led me to hundreds of lps with Kenny Clarke on drums, just love his playing--he inspired my own.

I'll never play this in FLAC. Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5536 - 06/30/14 at 22:12:04

I just noticed today that I hadn't received my sound stage direct order that included the Legacy LP of "Miles Ahead"...I had forgotten what else I had ordered with it.  I Looked for my order at the site and found none...I must have screwed up. So I ordered "Miles Ahead" and not remembering what else I wanted, I ordered the MFSL double 180 gm reissue of Little Feat's "Waiting For Columbus".  I would have waited to see if there was a sale for fourth of July but there was only one copy of this Legacy Miles LP with the original cover and numbered jacket.  When I originally ordered it...so I thought...it was the only store I could find selling the Record Store Day version of "Miles Ahead".  If there are sales this coming weekend, I'll probably buy more LPs...there are lots of reissues I want...no surprise.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5537 - 06/30/14 at 22:12:28

Right now: Lots of Mozart today for Dad. The latest is this one.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5538 - 06/30/14 at 22:24:03

Beowulf,  what do you mean for Lon?...hehe.  I'm the one who recently spun the Analogue Productions 200 gm reissue of that one...it's great.

Speaking of Monk...in today's mail I got the Mosaic Box Set of Monk's Complete Blue Note Recordings, I won in an auction on ebay.  I haven't played it yet but I have examined the vinyl and it looks unplayed...no spindle marks, no scuffs or scratches just barely you can see that someone had held the records by the edges to examine them.  The box is not so pristine and looks like it was slid along the floor or table...maybe in and out of storage.  The photo on the front is scratched and the box a bit worn and faded. But who cares about the box?  Certainly not me!  A winner for $77.50.  Mark.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5539 - 06/30/14 at 22:43:50

@ mark58 ... LOL!  OK  Mark this one's for you!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5540 - 06/30/14 at 23:10:46

Beowulf,  that's more like it!  I listened to that one out of Coltrane's Big Red Prestige CD Box that I've been listening to off and on for a few days...Good Stuff.  I may have to get a reissue of that on vinyl. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5541 - 07/01/14 at 02:42:43

Back home and spinning this CD..,

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5542 - 07/01/14 at 13:40:11

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5543 - 07/01/14 at 14:23:24

I recently wrote about an order I thought I had placed on June 15th.  I just got off the phone with Sound Stage Direct and the order was placed but didn't ship via media mail until June 23rd...so I had them refund the price of the "Miles Ahead" LP I ordered yesterday because it was the last copy in stock...so one's there if anyone wants it.  Also there will be a 10% off sale for the Fourth of July Holiday that should start later today...free shipping for orders over $35.  Elusive Disc and Music Direct will likely have a similar sale but there you only get free shipping with a $99+ order.  I plan on ordering more.  Anyway, no listening until later.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5544 - 07/01/14 at 15:19:57

This is sounding epic. Powerrrrful !

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #5545 - 07/01/14 at 15:45:57

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5546 - 07/01/14 at 16:17:07

This CD out of the Mono Box.  I'm trying to decide if I want to buy this or other early Dylan on Audiophile Vinyl reissues.  I'm leaning toward not doing so.  This sounds good and I think I'll stick to mainly Jazz for the more expensive 180+ gm reissues...of course such thought goes out the window when Pop Market sends me an email for a deal.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5547 - 07/01/14 at 17:31:48

I'm re-posting this from the PS audio thread...

Stone, LR,  I don't think posting a link to a store or deal is prohibited here.  Steve can correct me.  If members here want to alert others to discounts or other deals I think it's great...I do it all the time.  Now a retailer directly advertising here is another matter.  Mark.

PS...Elusive Disc, Sound Stage Direct and Music Direct have all started there 10% off sale for the 4th...the later two you have to remember to enter the code given.  I'm busy deciding what to order from whom as I type!

This CD next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #5548 - 07/01/14 at 18:16:12

Next, CD #11 of the Big Red Coltrane Box...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5549 - 07/01/14 at 19:20:47

New SHM-CD. Sounds fabulous.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 111 112 113 ... 512
Send Topic Print