Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #6150 - 10/13/14 at 23:34:27

Come now. It's more like a beef stew. Smiley

I've been listening to Bitches Brew since '72 or so. It's part of my mind now. I like what Mobile Fidelity did with the original mix. I have an SACD of the remix, but I prefer the original mix. I have an early pressing and the 40tb anniversary pressing, and enjoy this on lps a lot.

Right now

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6151 - 10/14/14 at 00:37:35

A kalidescope Lon. The air round Miles trumpet and his playing focus`s the wandering mind picking out this instrument and that instument. Too much to take in at first listen, and thats how I like it. The best albums have a mystery.
ps. That baritone sax is wierd but made me smile.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6152 - 10/14/14 at 01:01:50

I KNEW you would dig it. Actually, that's a bass clarinet. An instrument my Dad used to play funnily enough, he played both clarinet and bass clarinet in school.

Right now
Dad loves this disc

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6153 - 10/14/14 at 12:27:18

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6154 - 10/14/14 at 14:08:28

Disc 5. I love these performances.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6155 - 10/14/14 at 19:55:22

Note to self: great music, maybe one day find a mono copy as the stereo spread sucks.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6156 - 10/15/14 at 11:21:51

The fascinating new remake of "Kind of Blue"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6157 - 10/15/14 at 13:07:12

The very cool instrumental disc.

IP Logged
Nick Danger

What about my
pickle?!

Reply #6158 - 10/15/14 at 20:12:02

Beatles~ The White Album

Hug your dog.
  IP Logged
Nick Danger

What about my
pickle?!

Reply #6159 - 10/15/14 at 20:19:00

R.E.M.~ Green

Hug your dog.
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6160 - 10/16/14 at 00:37:43

This is a beautiful solo piano performance.  I can say with confidence this is the best sound I have heard from this disc in my room (Hi Res HRX disc from Reference Recordings that plays perfectly in the PWT).  With the PWD, something was missing (I now think it was timing/liquidity/tone).   The DS has taken this disc to a new level.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6161 - 10/16/14 at 00:53:36

Cool, I was wondering about those recordings, thanks for sharing. One day I may have a DirectStream again. (I'm still waiting for an RMA. Paul said he'd ask Alex to send me one on Monday. Nothing happened on Monday. On Tuesday I emailed Alex asking for one. He responded asking me what I meant by the unit being "inoperable," was it totally dead? Well, I replied, it has a flashing light but cannot be used as a DAC or preamp. I explained the whole scenario over the last two weeks, mailed twice to the wrong address, no files working for me, the card finally arriving and not helping, another owner sending me files from Alex that helped him but not me. . . That was Tuesday evening. Since then, nothing.

It's sort of comical!)

Right now, listening to this on the California Audio Labs changer at my parents'

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6162 - 10/16/14 at 01:39:04

Lon...hopefully they move your DS work to the front of the queue.  I am sure a quick call or e-mail to Paul will make that happen.

I only have a couple of the HRX discs.  They usually sit off to the side of my Redbook discs (my lame attempt at organization?), and I thought I would give them a spin this evening.  The performances on the two solo piano discs I have are excellent (the other is Joel Fan "West of the Sun").  Something definitely clicked with the piano music this evening (probably a combination of my mood and the system sounding wonderful).  

The jazz disc I have sounds excellent, but the performance is lackluster (Dick Hyman "From the Age of Swing").  

I orginally bought these discs because they are high res (24/176) and play in the PWT (DVD's of .wav files).  I can't remember when I purchased these, but this was my first test of high res in my system.  The discs aren't cheap (~$45), but I got them on sale.  Nonetheless, I believe there are a few great performances in the HRX collection, and it's a way to test high res without SACD or a computer.  Rebook cd's of the same performances are readily available for direct comparison.  

Cheers and good luck with the DS.  It will be up and running soon!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6163 - 10/16/14 at 03:21:48

Lon...I just looked up the "Blue" album you posted about earlier...it is fascinating!  I am listening to the All Blues 'copy' with my headphones via Soundcloud and there is obviously a lot they could reproduce and a lot they could not.  Interesting concept.  Among other things, it is obvious the recordings took place in different rooms...I hear a lot more of the 'room' in the original recording.  No one can play (phrase) like Coltrane...the duplication sounds forced and overly slurred.  Also, if these guys weren't on dope when they recorded this...no way they were going to sound as relaxed ; )

http://online.wsj.com/articles/miles-daviss-jazz-masterpiece-kind-of-blue-is-red...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6164 - 10/16/14 at 03:43:55

Dave1210 wrote on 10/16/14 at 01:39:04:
Lon...hopefully they move your DS work to the front of the queue.  I am sure a quick call or e-mail to Paul will make that happen.

I only have a couple of the HRX discs.  They usually sit off to the side of my Redbook discs (my lame attempt at organization?), and I thought I would give them a spin this evening.  The performances on the two solo piano discs I have are excellent (the other is Joel Fan "West of the Sun").  Something definitely clicked with the piano music this evening (probably a combination of my mood and the system sounding wonderful).  

The jazz disc I have sounds excellent, but the performance is lackluster (Dick Hyman "From the Age of Swing").  

I orginally bought these discs because they are high res (24/176) and play in the PWT (DVD's of .wav files).  I can't remember when I purchased these, but this was my first test of high res in my system.  The discs aren't cheap (~$45), but I got them on sale.  Nonetheless, I believe there are a few great performances in the HRX collection, and it's a way to test high res without SACD or a computer.  Rebook cd's of the same performances are readily available for direct comparison.  

Cheers and good luck with the DS.  It will be up and running soon!

Yes, in time it will be back. This has been such an f'd up experience. Not going to do any update on their products any time soon.

Thanks for the info on the recordings. I have a few hi-res discs I have played on the PWT, but most of my hi-res listening is SACD. I like SACD. Especially for classical.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6165 - 10/16/14 at 03:46:03

Dave1210 wrote on 10/16/14 at 03:21:48:
Lon...I just looked up the "Blue" album you posted about earlier...it is fascinating!  I am listening to the All Blues 'copy' with my headphones via Soundcloud and there is obviously a lot they could reproduce and a lot they could not.  Interesting concept.  Among other things, it is obvious the recordings took place in different rooms...I hear a lot more of the 'room' in the original recording.  No one can play (phrase) like Coltrane...the duplication sounds forced and overly slurred.  Also, if these guys weren't on dope when they recorded this...no way they were going to sound as relaxed ; )

http://online.wsj.com/articles/miles-daviss-jazz-masterpiece-kind-of-blue-is-red...

it's a very interesting listen, really had me thinking about individualism in art. "All Blues" is probably the piece that sounds least like the original. I'll have to listen to this a few more times this week, I am enjoying the experience.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6166 - 10/16/14 at 21:23:30

Using this to test the SACD output of a brand new Denon flagship universal player (DVD-A1UCDI) from Denon that I purchased for about a third the cost.

Amazing 45 pound player!  The SACD circuitry is the very same 32 bit DAC and 32 bit Denon processing as in my 100th Anniversary SACD player that I love the sound of so much, the DCD-A100. But the build quality and design is even better and heavier duty. So far, cold out of the box the sound is as good or even possibly better than the DCD-A100 in cd and SACD, though I don't need to worry about Redbook, as this will now be a Blu-ray, DVD, DVD-A and SACD player for me, and the DVD-A100 and the BDP-A100 that I was using will now be the heartbeat of my second, bedroom system.

A helluva player for the money. Upscaled DVDs looked almost the same as the Blu-ray edition of one title I compared both. . . and the picture and audio from the video section are extremely good.

When the dust settles and I have a DirectStream again I'll probably sell my PWD Mk II and PWT and the Arcam SACD player I am currently using in my second system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6167 - 10/17/14 at 01:18:10

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6168 - 10/17/14 at 11:44:14

Neil Young Greendale DVD-Audio

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6169 - 10/19/14 at 19:48:22

Wow, the SACD section of this Denon flagship universal player sounds exceptionally good.

:D

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6170 - 10/19/14 at 23:03:54

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6171 - 10/20/14 at 02:25:41

SACD from the Japanese box set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6172 - 10/20/14 at 04:22:29

Columbia SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6173 - 10/20/14 at 13:17:32

I've always found these Liszt transcriptions of Beethoven symphonies fascinating. To hear the symphony stripped bare to one piano. . .wow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6174 - 10/21/14 at 00:28:32

Lovely, a compilation of songs by others that Jobim contributed to the Brazilian "Songbook" series.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6175 - 10/21/14 at 01:11:12

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6176 - 10/21/14 at 03:54:39

Wow. This Denon DVD-A1UDCI is a remarkable SACD player.

I love this recording and I never heard it like this.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6177 - 10/21/14 at 04:28:53

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6178 - 10/21/14 at 13:06:59

This one again. Hey, it's a lot of Jobim I haven't heard before (have a few of these on Songbook cds) and it's gorgeous stuff. As I mature in life Jobim's music means more and more to me. Just so beautiful and full of affectionate emotion. Love and affection are what make my world go round, I seek it in music as well.

Lon wrote on 10/21/14 at 00:28:32:
Lovely, a compilation of songs by others that Jobim contributed to the Brazilian "Songbook" series.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51KzpfmCuKL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

https://josmarlopes.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/img-365777-tom-jobim-rio1.jpg

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #6179 - 10/21/14 at 13:45:21

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6180 - 10/21/14 at 14:03:47

Love the wood! Smiley

James Gang, not so much. Wink Just not a Joe Walsh fan.

Right now

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #6181 - 10/21/14 at 14:28:42

Hey Lon,

The wood is 3 layers of left over butcher block countertop.  I cut the remnents to size then glued, stained and poly'd it.  Nice and heavy.  Makes for a nice stable platform vs just the glass shelf.  

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6182 - 10/21/14 at 14:47:34

I'll bet it does make a nice stable platform! I was using a 4" maple platform from MapleShade under my Rega for a while, and it surprised me how much it contributed to the sound. I replaced it with a PS Audio PowerBase which does amazing things to the sound. . . I bet it would be even better if that sat on the MapleShade platform, but I can't pull that off presently as the leads from the turntable aren't long enough. (And I have the platform in use elsewhere).

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6183 - 10/21/14 at 18:20:53

New Sony reissue

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6184 - 10/21/14 at 18:54:46

JJ Cale

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6185 - 10/21/14 at 19:33:36

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6186 - 10/21/14 at 20:56:13

A gift from a friend. Interesting. . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6187 - 10/21/14 at 22:56:30

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6188 - 10/22/14 at 00:15:42

Starting to listen to the Complete RCA Recordings of Julian Bream.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6189 - 10/22/14 at 01:13:24

for shits and giggles i decided to change my oa3 to a ob3 in my zp3 and listened to some female vocalists: patricia barber, diana krall and madelyn peroux.  wow the results were tremendous decay was profound and i'm taking the day off tomorrow...now I'm listening to Jonsi an album that was powered by solar energy for the most part...fkn cool and intense

good times

JD

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6190 - 10/22/14 at 01:17:54

Picked this up after seeing him live at Memorial Hall.  He played right before Sun Kil Moon at Midpoint Music Festival.  I wish his performance was not amplified, and I don't think it needed to be.  The space is small and he only had a cello to accompany him (and his acoustic guitar).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6191 - 10/22/14 at 01:20:10

Isn't it amazing what those voltage tubes can do? I bought a few OB3s to try in the ZP3 a few months ago but haven't rolled them yet. Guess I should.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6192 - 10/22/14 at 02:27:29

its a bizarre mixed bag so far so as i can tell. some songs are amazing and some with more instruments are too tight and shrill.   worth the ride none the less.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6193 - 10/22/14 at 11:13:15

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6194 - 10/22/14 at 14:15:54

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6195 - 10/22/14 at 23:45:20

Listening to all this Bream makes me realize . .. Steve Howe was probably a big fan.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6196 - 10/23/14 at 01:01:55

Now the second disc of another box set I am revisiting, the Horowitz Original Jacket Collection box.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6197 - 10/24/14 at 00:25:51

Picked this one up recently, very nice!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6198 - 10/24/14 at 14:24:45

Bream's records are amazing.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6199 - 10/24/14 at 15:29:41

Dave,  all the Criss Cross Label albums with Chet Baker are great.  I think my favorite is one called "Chet's Choice" a trio with bass and guitar...his best format in my opinion. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 126 ... 512
Send Topic Print