Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #6300 - 11/22/14 at 12:05:41

Okay, I made the effort this morning to listen to the Redbook of American Beauty through the PWT into the DSD.

A brighter, thinner sounding presentation. Just a bit. Perhaps a bit "faster" sounding. The SACD is a bit fuller, darker sounding. This is in part the difference between the two DACs in the two machines, they each have differing characteristics.

I'll be playing the SACD layer, I just love how it sounds.

Edited to add: my DS goes directly into the Torii using a VooDoo Cable Stradivarius interconnect. My Denon universal player goes into the CSP2+ with Jupiter caps first and then into the Torii Mk III and both interconnects are VooDoo Cable Ultralinear, the next model down. So it's not an exact match in cabling and an extra gain stage in there as well. I'd love two more Stradivarius cables but man they're expensive (I lucked out on one used one very well-priced).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6301 - 11/22/14 at 13:34:35

Thanks for doing the comparison Lon.  I don't own that disc on Redbook, so was trying to get a sense if I should pick up the SACD for the Redbook layer.  I wonder if they have a DSD download available online, although I don't think MoFi is going that route yet.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6302 - 11/22/14 at 13:38:07

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6303 - 11/22/14 at 13:39:56

For a disc, I'd go with the Mobile Fidelity, it really is better than the original cd on WB and the Rhino one. Who knows one day you may have an SACD player.*

There is an HDTrack hires version. There is this comment from the Hoffman board:

I didn't think it could be done, but the MFSL SACD is a nice improvement over the HDTracks version. Tighter bass and better sound stage. What a pleasant surprise.

They were talking of the SACD layer I'm sure.  Soundstage characteristics are very similar on the Redbook layer. Bass sounds great as well.

PS: Workingman's Dead on Mobile Fidelity SACD was released a few days ago, I should have a copy today but may not be here to listen; heading out this afternoon to Lucinda's bungalow out by the woods.

* As fantastic as the DirectStream is, a great SACD player can make a well mastered SACD sound fantastic, more analog like than the DS. That body or meatiness that Eric says he wanted in the DS (pre last update) I have in spades with my two Denon cd players (I think what sets them apart is the heavy build with serious anti-vibration design). It's a different digital experience, one that I like having as an option, I really feel I have three different audio experiences I can tap into: DS, SACD and vinyl. All are excellent, and I don't have to choose only one.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6304 - 11/22/14 at 17:16:35

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6305 - 11/23/14 at 23:32:07

Dad asked for this one to be put on. I really like it, sounds like music from the 'twenties, but in modern high fidelity!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6306 - 11/23/14 at 23:34:32

Dave, I have listened to the Mobile Fidelity SACD of "Workingman's Dead" several times now. Just as excellent a remaster as the "American Beauty." "Cumberland Blues" and "Easy Wind" sound awesome!

IP Logged
RickVee
Verified Member

Would you care to
amplify that?

Reply #6307 - 11/24/14 at 00:05:10

Recently found in a local vinyl shop a sealed nos 13 volume set of Art Tatum Solo Masterpieces on Pablo label.  Working my way through them with my ZMA and ZP3.  Audio seventh heaven.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6308 - 11/24/14 at 02:29:47

Lon...I ordered the American Beauty disc.  Should be here next week.  I also ordered the new Vanessa Fernandez SACD.  I probably should have ordered the vinyl but this will be sufficient.  

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/singaporean-black-funk-surprise

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6309 - 11/24/14 at 02:42:53

IsoCups have been in the system all week...not surprised that the result is exactly like Lon and Will described.  Open and detailed with smooth highs...Track 1 of this disc is an amazing song if you haven't heard it...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6310 - 11/24/14 at 04:35:30

I bet you enjoy "American Beauty" Dave. And glad that the Iso-Cups are working out well. It's fascinating to me how these things work. Everything matters I guess!

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6311 - 11/24/14 at 12:57:43

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6312 - 11/24/14 at 15:58:48

Best listen of the weekend...this LP sounds amazing!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6313 - 11/25/14 at 02:25:09

Fun remixes of her excellent Brazilified cd.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6314 - 11/25/14 at 16:44:32

Van Der Graff Generator...one of my favorite 70's prog bands. Saw Peter Hammill solo performance 30+ years ago at the Troubadour L.A.  Enjoyed a good listen last nite. Superzen now 10 months seasoned and with room treatments things are sounding nice...very nice!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6315 - 11/25/14 at 18:22:15

Blu-ray disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6316 - 11/26/14 at 12:56:43

Every now and then I have to hear a lot of Peggy. What a voice and what a singer!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6317 - 11/26/14 at 18:04:04

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6318 - 11/26/14 at 23:10:03

Lon...this arrived today.  As you said, this disc sounds fantastic.  I don't have an SACD player, so I'm spinning the cd layer in the PWT.  

Do all the MoFi albums sound this good?  I have never really explored them because of cost, but I think I would get more if they typically sound like this.

I have only been to one GD show in my life.  I was in high school and it was shortly before Jerry Garcia passed away.  Boy was that an experience.  Glad I picked this album up.  Thanks!  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6319 - 11/27/14 at 00:10:47

Dave, glad you are enjoying it. This has never sounded this good before.

I haven't been buying TOO many Mobile Fidelity releases over the years because for a long time they just weren't doing things I was interested in. But they finally did a Marvin Gaye, then Santana's Caravan Serai, and then they started their Miles Davis series and I think all those I have bought, released the last three years or so, have sounded excellent, on par with this one. And the SACD layer is even better than the Redbook layer in each case. So try another one. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6320 - 11/27/14 at 02:04:02

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6321 - 11/27/14 at 02:18:19

Lon...I have Workingman's Dead on CD and the sound is not so good.  So, if the CD layer of the SACD sounds as good as American Beauty (CD layer), then I am in.  I have often said that it's not the format, it's the master/re-master.  You may be able to get a little more out of the SACD, but the difference between previous re-master's is likely much bigger...

Happy Thanksgiving,
d

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6322 - 11/27/14 at 02:37:34

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6323 - 11/27/14 at 11:50:57

I think you would find Workingman's Dead improved. And one day you may get SACD playback, or be able to rip the DSD layer to the DS. . . and yoiu'll see, there's a significant difference--SACD is better than Redbook, though the DS closes the gap, there's still a gap. IMO.

Have a great holiday! I wish I could be home listening, but I have a big day with my Dad, we need to make him have a great day, it's only been ten days since we lost my Mom.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6324 - 11/27/14 at 15:48:24

This from the Complete Original Jacket box of Horowitz, which is a fascinating box set. In the past I didn't pay much attention to Horowitz, but he was a master especially of dynamics, and this system here at Dad's is very adept at presenting the dynamics in a recording. These RCA sessions were very well-recorded as well, the music really comes through and communicates.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6325 - 11/27/14 at 16:09:43

Just wanted to drop by and say "Happy Thanksgiving".  Of course I'm listening to music as I read...Currently on spotify this newly released album from a concert in 1990.  I'll soon own it...it's wonderful.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6326 - 11/27/14 at 19:58:15

Just been checking out the MOFI lp catalogue on their site and was reading about the process of the `GAIN 2™ Ultra Analog™` method they use. Something popped out that surprised and reasured me...

"(Due to this process, there may be occasional pops or ticks inherent in initial play back, but as the disc is played more, a high quality stylus will actually polish the grooves and improve the sound)"

Well I never.
When I listen to a new 180 gm lp I`m almost waiting for a pop or tick.
lol now I wont have to say to myself "ffs" ( excuse my french )

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6327 - 11/27/14 at 20:39:56

I just bought the last three Music Matters Blue Note 33 1/3 series...a Dozen.  I listened to Cannonball's "Somethin' Else" and am currently spinning Sonny Clark's "Cool Struttin' "...will listen to "Blue Trane" soon. The Grant Green "Idle Moments" is awaiting repress.

These have never sounded better in any format.  I hope they continue the series next year.  I really don't want to buy 45 RPM 2 LP versions because of the added cost and frequent turns of the LPs.  I can't imagine the fidelity being better than these Music Matters LPs.

Marky,  I've bought quite a few MFSL vinyl reissues and have yet to be disappointed...all the Miles with his first great Quintet...the 33 1/3 versions as well as some rock.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6328 - 11/27/14 at 21:06:24

You`ve just sent me on a little trip there mark and I bought Kenny Burrells " Midnight Blue " 180 gm blue note. I found a US seller all-your-music who ships free postage at v/g prices. If I buy one at a time I dont get hit with import duty.
He also has Kenny Burrell with J. Coltrane "Cats" I so nearly pulled the trigger but it`s on the DOL label. darn...lol I might get it later and keep quiet.

I have the "Bictches Brew on MOFI and it`s a cut above normal. Even the packaging is impressive.

Keep on spinning ..... Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6329 - 11/27/14 at 21:22:36

Marky,  that one is amazing. It's next up after "Blue Trane".  Make sure you buy the Music Matters 33 1/3 version.  It's also available in the cheaper universal blue note version...NOT the same.  Thirty-five bucks is a bargain for these but occasionally you'll be able to get 10% off. Recently all my sources don't discount them...Elusive Disc, Music Direct and Sound Stage Direct.  Here's the Music Matters site that also sells them.  I've given you the page with pics of all twelve in the current 33 1/3 Blue Note Series.  Mark.
http://www.musicmattersjazz.com/category_s/92.htm

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6330 - 11/28/14 at 02:38:56

Happy holiday Mark.

Right now, the Blu-Spec 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6331 - 11/28/14 at 19:40:50

I have two other digital versions of this and the new Boplicity sounds head and shoulders above them. The only version that sounds similarly wonderful is my mono Contact lp. This is a favorite work and I'm very happy wth this new reissue.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6332 - 11/28/14 at 20:15:36

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6333 - 11/28/14 at 20:52:10

Not sure why I was expecting something different, but this sounds quite good for an OJC Redbook remaster...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6334 - 11/29/14 at 19:00:14

K.Crimson " Islands " 200 gm reissue.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6335 - 11/29/14 at 21:42:59

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6336 - 11/30/14 at 14:48:14

This cd of music from '71 features three of my favorites very happily producing great music together: Airto Moreira, his wife Flora Purim, and the amazingly idiosyncratic, eccentric and multi-talented Hermeo Pascoal.
The two lp set I have sounds better, but that doesn't matter, this music just sucks me in and keeps me in no matter the format.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6337 - 12/01/14 at 02:02:42

@ Lon, what type of music does Airto fall in to?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6338 - 12/01/14 at 03:01:25

Airto has played with many persons and supplemented their music with his broad percussive skills. He started out in Brazil in traditional samba and bossa nova bands AS WELL as experimental forward moving Brazilian bands, and then came to America with his wife and began playing with avant garde jazz and fusion bands, such as Miles Davis, Weather Report, and many more.

This one is a sort of fusion of Brazilian musics and rock and jazz elements with a bit of the goofiness that Airto and Hermeto can bring to sessions. It's happy music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6339 - 12/01/14 at 12:22:30

New SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6340 - 12/01/14 at 15:19:25

These Mozart solo piano pieces expertly executed by Walter Klein are just the thing Dad and I need for our first day alone after all my family has left the house. Mom's passing was hard, the memorial service on Saturday was wonderful but also wonderfully draining and yesterday was hectic with my sister's family preparing to leave the house and some drama between my sister and I that was I think just her stress coming out. Now the house is quiet (and clean!) and this music is calming us right down.

Mozart was amazing! So prolific, so young, and the quality just at such a high standard throughout all his output!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6341 - 12/01/14 at 19:27:53

Enjoyed a nice spin on this gem. Seems I go back to it several times a year!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6342 - 12/01/14 at 20:10:34

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6343 - 12/01/14 at 21:41:04

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6344 - 12/02/14 at 00:35:25

The "Beethoven Overtures" disc from this George Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra box set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6345 - 12/02/14 at 03:39:14

LOUD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6346 - 12/02/14 at 15:22:22

More from this box. EXCELLENT sound.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6347 - 12/02/14 at 18:14:14

Rainy day in Calif....supertramp - one of their best LP's. A great recording.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6348 - 12/02/14 at 19:49:32

I've enjoyed this work for a few decades, a great testament of African-American pride and accomplishment, a joyous and vibrant work by Ellington that doesn't get much play. I've slipped the new Boplicity cd on again and it got stuck in the player. This isn't the greatest recording, but this cd is the best stereo version I have of three cds, only a mono lp tops it, one day I'll see if I can find the strereo Contact lp.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6349 - 12/02/14 at 21:23:12

Sometimes it pisses me off how much better vinyl sounds than digital!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 129 ... 512
Send Topic Print