Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1818495 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #6400 - 12/13/14 at 01:02:53

This tasty Grant Green with Sonny Clark...one of the recently acquired Music Matters 45 RPM albums.  This has been issued with several different covers and is in the Mosaic Box set.  The music is stellar... there's nothing else like Grant's chiming guitar lines through Decware Gear.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6401 - 12/13/14 at 01:24:07

This Horace Parlan date from 1963 next.  Another Music Matters 45 RPM album.  How can they make these 50 some year old recordings sound so good...incredible.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6402 - 12/13/14 at 02:27:43

Next is my first purchase of a "Speakers Corner" audiophile 33 RPM 180 gm LP. Sounds good.  They have lots of Classical, Jazz and Rock reissues.  I may have to try another.  They retail for $35, same as Music Matters 33 RPM LPs although they have an ordinary thin cardboard stock cover... the Music Matters LPs have thick glossy gatefolds.  Even the MFSLs have thicker stock covers and maybe superior sound for $29.  Oh well, this was the only audiophile reissue of this album I could find.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6403 - 12/13/14 at 03:13:01

That Miles Smiles was great...maybe my favorite album from the Second Great Quintet.  I've started looking for the others on audiophile vinyl...have this one and two others 45 RPM from MFSL of "Sorcerer" and "Nefertiti".

This is another 45 RPM Blue Note from Music Matters. Herbie's first for Blue Note...I think.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6404 - 12/13/14 at 03:59:01

Well,  I found out MFSL has two more Miles Davis Second Great Quintet LPs coming on 45 RPM Vinyl... "In The Sky" and "Filles de Kilimanjaro".  And the Impex label has reissued "ESP"...I'll pick it up next time there's a sale.  The other two are on preorder as are "My Funny Valentine" and the 45 RPM of "Kind of Blue",  both on MFSL.  Lots of great Vinyl coming.

I'm ending the night with a little 1975 Vinyl Pepper.  Mark.

PS...the recently deceased Charlie Haden's playing on this LP is huge...Lester Koenig's Contemporary Records Label always seemed to put out well recorded product.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6405 - 12/13/14 at 14:22:26

I was going to put on a Live 2 cd set of the Allman Brothers from 1992 but thought ...no...not in the mood.  I pulled this favorite and it reminded me that I still have on order the Analogue Productions box set of all Evans' Riverside albums on 45 RPM Vinyl.  Will it ever come?...I ordered it May of last year.

Anyway,  this morning I've been reading about the label Speakers Corner on Steve Hoffman's forum after I so loved their "Miles Smiles" last night.  I actually have another one of their reissues, "Monk's Dream", that was also excellent. My mini rant yesterday about the thin covers...forget about it.  The vinyl is what matters and Speakers Corner gets it right almost every time from what I've read.  They use great people like Kevin Gray to master and Pallas out of Germany to press the Vinyl.  Mark.

PS...has anyone bought the Vinyl edition of "The Complete Live At The Village Vanguard" that was recently reissued?

PSS...the "Monk's Dream" reissue I bought is from the Impex Label not Speakers Corner...I just looked.  It is great though.  Of course it is...It was mastered by Kevin Gray at Coherent Sound.  Impex...another fantastic audiophile reissue label.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6406 - 12/13/14 at 17:20:53

Thanks for the `Speakers Corner` heads up Mark. I`ve been hovering over the buy now button for Caravanserai for over a month. Buying replacement albums gets pushed down the list but the Santana album is so full of atmosphere and memories that I did it. Not cheap..$45 but there aint any others on the market, and it`s from my US supplier so free p&p. I`m starting to feel guilty ordering one at a time from him ( or not )

Kenny Burrells `Midnight Blue` blue note 75 anniv re-issue 180 gm came today ( same seller, all_yourmusic ) so we`ll find out what he`s about this evening. I haven`t got a scoobydoo  :)

ps Caravanserai has been a bit of a disaster area for me. My first replacement came in a multi-order and I took a craft knife to slit open the `join` of the package which was in the middle only to find the seller had placed the records outside the sleeves so I scored the record. Lesson learned. My second replacement was bought as nm but is nowhere near it. The Speakers Corner replacement should bring the journey to an end.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6407 - 12/13/14 at 21:06:08

As the title suggests I`ll play this next time when it`s late. Very laid back with great guitar and sax tones. Lovely.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6408 - 12/14/14 at 00:30:25

Marky,  in the US the speakers Corner LPs are $35.  It is a European Label with headquarters in Germany, so I would think you could find a seller closer to home.  Also if you are going to go with the Blue Note 75th Anniversary reissues rather than the Music Matters versions...what I have read is that the European versions are superior, on 180 gm vinyl and pressed at Optimal in Europe vs a lighter weight vinyl and inferior US pressing for the US version.  I personally would go for the Music Matters versions when available, for $35. Just my two cents.

I picked up an original of that Santana Caravanserai  LP on a recent trip to HPB&R.  It's very nice.  I actually like the more instrumental music.  I'm still looking for number two...or is it three.  Anyway, I want the first four Santana releases on Vinyl.  I'm cooking tonight so I may get to the Listening Cave later.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6409 - 12/14/14 at 11:46:36

Mark, shopping around for the bluenote reissues is made easier with my US seller. ie Midnight Blue = £14.50 & free shipping ( $23 apprx ) Music Matters want $35 & premium shipping rates. Even their UK arm want £30. Pressings, now thats debatable I would say....QC for Blue Note reissues would I hope be uniform and the same. I`ve convinced myself that it`s just a matter of profit margins.....but as per, truth can be stranger than fiction. Even the Speakers Corner Caravanserai is more expensive via Germany, by a margin in some cases.
I also picked up Robert Wyatts `Cuckooland`, a double, for £16.46 on his label. It`s a bit of a no brainer.
I see he has Santana 3 on MFSL @ £16.81
and other Santana albums from £26+ which include Original Master Recording label and Speakers Corner.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6410 - 12/14/14 at 13:10:25

I hear ya Marky,  it's hard to understand price variations around the world.  I bought a few batches of CDs from Amazon Germany because there was a significant savings even after taking into account higher shipping cost...free from US with an order over $35.  I haven't done this for a long time...I suspect since the value of the US Dollar has increased compared to the Euro, that there would be an even greater savings now.  I'll have to go look.

I probably spend too much time reading reviews but when spending so much for the "audiophile versions", I want to see what those who are far more picky than I am think of certain titles and labels.  I take reviews with a grain of salt.  The Steve Hoffman forum has an awful lot of very picky folks.  Even before a series has been released, they're able to wax poetic on it.  Also some folks seem to return a lot of new Vinyl.  I have never packed up and sent Vinyl back to a seller...I guess I'm not as picky as most.  Now at Half Price Books and Records, I probably return 5 to 10 percent of the Vinyl because of too much surface noise or other defects but there I'm dealing with used, ungraded vinyl.  I do visually examine everything before purchase.

Specifically about the 75th Blue Note series, here's a link to a Hoffman forum thread...  http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/alan-yoshida-mastered-blue-note-75th-anniv...

Here's one for Speakers Corner...http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/speakers-corner.301374/

A search can reveal opinions on specific album issues.  I find them helpful.

Anyway,  I have to get another cup of coffee.  Happy Listening,  Mark.

PS...Marky, can you paste the link to your seller so I can take a look?

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6411 - 12/14/14 at 18:45:30

Ok...maybe I shouldn't be surprised by this, but I finally got around to listening to some Opus DSD samplers on the DS and HOLY SH$T.   Some of these tracks sound unbelievably good.  Probably the most realistic sound I have heard on my system.  I really enjoyed The Erik Westberg vocal ensemble and Mattias Wager playing "Nun komm der Heiden Heiland".  I felt like I was in the church.  The bass from the organ was shaking my room.  The Eric Bibb track "Where the Green Grass Grows" was another standout.   The jazz tracks on Sampler no 1 are great too...I can't believe it took me this long to give DSD a serious listen...off to listen and download some more...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6412 - 12/14/14 at 19:04:24

I've been in the den with the Omegas and Signature Monos.  This now and prior...a two CD set of the Allman Brothers Live in 1992.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6413 - 12/14/14 at 19:44:10

I don't know what Opus3 does, but their tapes and DSD are simply amazing. They are my Go To when I want to show people what DSD is all about.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6414 - 12/14/14 at 20:37:08

This XRCD 24  now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6415 - 12/15/14 at 13:32:41

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6416 - 12/15/14 at 16:54:11

Disc 1

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6417 - 12/15/14 at 19:20:07

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6418 - 12/15/14 at 19:58:31

Disc 1 today. Never heard this sound better.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6419 - 12/15/14 at 20:29:44

Still

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6420 - 12/15/14 at 21:32:52

LP belonged to my Parents....heard around the house a lot. Good memories!

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6421 - 12/16/14 at 14:54:48

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6422 - 12/16/14 at 16:26:37

Two nice listens last nite...the ZP3 is really starting to season! Nice!

PFM:

AND BOWIE:

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6423 - 12/16/14 at 21:00:38

super heavy re-issue.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6424 - 12/16/14 at 21:09:18

Now I'm listening to Disc 3 of the Complete Dial Modern Jazz Sessions set from Mosaic. This sounds awesome!

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6425 - 12/17/14 at 01:54:25

Sharon Van Etten's  are we there followed by Andrew Bird's pulaski at night = some quality listening.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6426 - 12/17/14 at 10:57:36

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6427 - 12/17/14 at 14:22:19

Back to this one from the Bream box set because it's killer.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6428 - 12/17/14 at 22:03:58

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6429 - 12/18/14 at 17:35:02

Revisiting an old friend, this time via the FIrst Impulse box set, where it sounds especially good.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6430 - 12/18/14 at 19:46:46

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6431 - 12/18/14 at 21:18:47

Audio nirvana with this LP last nite! Wow! after 1 week with the new ZP3 it just gets better and better.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6432 - 12/19/14 at 00:41:42

I haven't been in the Listening Cave for almost a week.  Tonight I'll listen to a few more of the Music Matters Blue Note 45 RPM reissues...as listed below. They're mighty sweet.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6433 - 12/19/14 at 02:02:46

This is a 45 RPM reissue by Analogue Productions remastered by Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman...the Blue Notes by Music Matters are all remastered by Kevin Gray.  Mark.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6434 - 12/19/14 at 02:10:32

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6435 - 12/19/14 at 03:08:49

Next,  this one on the ORG Label Pressed at Pallas in Germany on 180gm 33 RPM Vinyl, mastered by Bernie Grundman...superb.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6436 - 12/19/14 at 11:18:01

That's a good one. I have the SACD.

Right now, this very Dolphy and Mingus like cd again. It's stuck in my stack to be played, this is the fourth time in two weeks.

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #6437 - 12/19/14 at 14:16:18

R.L. Burnside Mofi SACD.

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6438 - 12/19/14 at 14:36:03

Better than hot cocoa.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6439 - 12/19/14 at 19:33:13

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6440 - 12/19/14 at 20:45:01

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6441 - 12/20/14 at 14:58:43

I'm in the den playing CDs with the Omegas and ZSM. Now the two volumes of Kenny Burell's "Blue Lights" in the original late 80's transfer.  I have a more recent remastered  2 CD set but who knows where it is.  Sounds great.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6442 - 12/20/14 at 15:37:04

From the new box set.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6443 - 12/20/14 at 16:01:03

A little "Velvet Fog"...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6444 - 12/20/14 at 16:04:33

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6445 - 12/20/14 at 16:27:47

Time for a little Ella...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6446 - 12/20/14 at 17:51:38

A pinch of Pepper to spice things up...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6447 - 12/20/14 at 18:59:44

Next a little Chet...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6448 - 12/20/14 at 19:47:22

Well I nearly bought some albums from elusive disk Mark, to take advantage of the shipping deal which runs out Monday. Totalled up around $120 but $50 was too much shipping. The overseas discount would have been equal to the US disount in dollars. Any idea what your discount would have been ? Included was a Coltrane double on the Quiex classic label. They are very expensive but not a bad deal on elusive disk as were the other 2, Sketches of Spain and another on v/g labels. If the discount is good I still might go with it but couldn`t risk waitng till after I`d pushed all the pay buttons for the discount to kick in.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6449 - 12/20/14 at 20:23:44

Marky,  I'm not sure what deals you're talking about.  In the US, Elusive Disc always has free shipping for orders over $99.  I don't know their international rates.  

When I made my large purchase of 39 albums, it was with a combination of two discounts that expired shortly after I placed my order.  First, they had been running a 15% discount on their retail price on Music Matters 45 RPM albums in honor of their 25th Anniversary.  Then for Thanksgiving/Black Friday they ran three discounts of 10, 12 or 15% off your whole order depending on it's size.  To get the 15% you had to purchase over $999.  So on most albums I bought I got 30% off, others were 15% off...and shipping was free.  My only regret is that I didn't buy even more than I did...I spent $1378.  

These are audiophile labels I have sampled, all have been very good...MFSL, Analogue Productions, ORG, Impex, Speakers Corner and my Favorite...Music Matters.

Elusive Disc, Music Direct and Sound Stage Direct all run Holiday discounts, usually 10% off most LPs.  Another will pop up soon for Christmas, probably.  Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 129 130 131 ... 512
Send Topic Print