Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1818562 times)
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #6450 - 12/20/14 at 21:03:00

Thanks for that Mark. I managed to find the Coltrane `One down One up` at `redspark`  Just bought it. £35.00. + £4.00 post. Should be a good`n.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6451 - 12/20/14 at 21:16:48

I haven't listened to Bud in a long time...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6452 - 12/20/14 at 21:28:56

Back to this one...really enjoying this Trio of electric guitar, hammond and drums...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/our-gang-mw0000625555

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6453 - 12/20/14 at 21:32:17

Turned to the ambassador to sooth my blues away.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6454 - 12/20/14 at 22:07:03

Marky,  I read a few reviews of your Coltrane LP.  If that's the double  Classic Records set, you got a pretty good deal...it's OOP.  The music was highly rated by the reviews but sounds like it might be a little too far out for me.  It was recorded live in 1965 not too long before Elvin Jones and McCoy Tyner left.  I see some of it is on you tube and the whole album is on spotify...I'll listen to it sometime.  Let me know what you think.

Here's what I just put on...Live Monk from 1965...Mark.

PS...I guess it's not out of print...or at least it's still available.  Just looked and Elusive Disc has it for $45.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6455 - 12/21/14 at 01:22:08

"Blue," the "facsimile" version of "Kind of Blue" by the band Mostly Other People do the Killing. A fascinating listen.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6456 - 12/21/14 at 15:00:07

I listened to this before "Sunday Morning" on CBS.  This is from 1980 and is very good.  The best recorded example of Bill Evan's live late work is the complete Box from the Village Vanguard.  This is from Ronnie Scott's.  I think the Live box recorded at Keystone is an inferior recording from what I remember but as always, the playing by the Trio is exceptional.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6457 - 12/21/14 at 18:21:26

Testing out some new PS Audio hardware - I saw the Mostly Other People posted above so I'm trying this one. I'm only 30 seconds in and I love it so far!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #6458 - 12/21/14 at 19:21:33

LR...hardware or firmware?  If the former, Bridge II, PW Amp, PW Pre-amp?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6459 - 12/21/14 at 19:29:48

I've now made my way to the Listening Cave.  I began by replaying the vinyl Sonny Rollins "The Bridge"...Great!  Now it's Grant Green..."Idle Moments"  This is the last of the 12 Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note Series for 2014.  It had been awaiting repress...arrived Friday.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6460 - 12/21/14 at 20:17:48

This is one I didn't get to the other day...fantastic.  Another 45 RPM Music Matters masterpiece.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6461 - 12/21/14 at 20:22:59

Wish I could listen to the Grant Green Mark. The blue note is impressive but as with some of these lp`s ie `Midnight Blues`they can get the full treatment which is good for us. Even MFSL are now only just dearer than original labels in a lot of cases. The futures bright. Yes the Coltrane double has been out as a boot for yonks taken from various ad hoc tapes ( it was a radio broadcast ). Apparently this is from Coltranes own tapes which Classic  have mastered with their Quiex system, all tube analog tech and something about the vinyl. 4 sides 4 tracks. I think it`s quite a new release. Sitting here as Men in Black 3`s just come on but I`m in the mood for some music. So.....

Ltd ed CadetConcept

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6462 - 12/21/14 at 20:37:08

Yup,  "Idle Moments" is one of Green's best.  I'm telling you, these Music Matters reissues, whether on 33 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl are the Bomb.  The 33 RPMs were done at Kevin Gray's studio after all cabling was upgraded to audio quest. The 33 RPMs are probably as good if not better than the 45 RPM versions of the same albums...although I didn't purchase a duplicate on 45 RPM Vinyl to see. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6463 - 12/21/14 at 21:09:06

Next this 45 RPM Music Matters reissue...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6464 - 12/21/14 at 21:22:47

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6465 - 12/21/14 at 21:59:05

Marky, that's a nice one.  A milestone twofer with his first album plus a bunch of extras.  I've got all the music on CD but don't have that set on vinyl.  The Milestone Twofers are a nice way to pick up some good sounding Bill Evans Vinyl cheaply..I have at least a couple, maybe more.

This next, a Columbia Mono reissue...I really bought it mainly for the three tracks on side two with the "Kind of Blue" sextet...very nice.  Mark.  

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6466 - 12/21/14 at 22:15:48

lol Mark the vinyl on Conceptions is wafer thin, I think it affects the bass, not quite the presense of others. Disc one I usually play. I have a Miles hit list..Relaxing, Working, Steaming and the other one, cooking.

Where would I be without some Beefheart  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6467 - 12/21/14 at 23:44:21

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6468 - 12/22/14 at 12:56:22

Marky,  your remark about a "Wafer Thin" vinyl for your Bill Evans album had me thinking about something I've been wondering for a while.  Is sound quality at all related to vinyl weight?  I'll be doing more research later but this morning I've found this quote.

"Audio quality and vinyl weight are not causally related. Not that you would guess from the volume of “180 gram audiophile pressings” in record shop shelves. Depth of groove is determined during the lacquer master cutting process, and produces the same groove depth whether pressed into wafer thin or jumbo-thick vinyl. That is why King Records in Japan could produce such great sounding Blue Note pressings on less than 120 gram vinyl."

I think most reissues and original issues between 1970 and 1990 were about 120 to 140 gm but haven't confirmed this.  If anyone with a better understanding of this would chime in...it would be welcomed as would links to sources.  Thanks in advance, Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6469 - 12/22/14 at 14:42:24

Mark, since I`ve been impressed by quality reissues of King Crimson, Blue Note 75th anniversary series, the  MFSL Bitches Brew and Sony Legacy Kind Of Blue I`ve found out that, apart form the Crimson records there are even better pressings, some of which you have. Seems like the master tapes are made available not on an exclusive basis. I can make a comparison of the standard Crimson albums to the 200gm reissues. Crimson are notorious for long quiet passages..and loud powerful passages. At first you notice they are not as pinpoint in focus but soon realise there is more info on each note...decay, timbre, atmosphere, making it all sound fuller and more realistic. Louder, no, but that may be done in the process. It`s akin to when you first hear the difference a mains conditioner makes.
In general though all or most of my normal weight records are fine, it`s kind of what you`re used to. It`s a pity Zappas Discrete label didn`t diversify. His recordings really rank  in quality.
When I had a reel to reel in the 80`s I never really liked to play it as `a player` because I felt out of my comfort zone to the normal records. I used it as a pre amplifier for guitar and to mix down group recordings to cassette. These thick albums are getting there because as with the speed of the reel to reel they are getting more info into the grooves.
Then theres the Classic 200gm Super vinyl. Theres a huge write up here. scroll down.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SS-90051-Led-Zeppelin-CODA-200g-Quiex-SVP-Vinyl-LP-Cla...

So there`s some good deals to find if you shop around.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6470 - 12/22/14 at 20:32:11

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6471 - 12/22/14 at 20:36:47

This double vinyl set is on the play list for tonight.  RIP Joe.  I'll miss you...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6472 - 12/22/14 at 20:38:34

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6473 - 12/22/14 at 20:45:45

Yes, I ought to break out the 6CD set. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6474 - 12/22/14 at 21:41:02

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6475 - 12/23/14 at 13:44:37

This sounds so good. The PS Audio P5 has really had an impact on my system, it's all dialed in, settled in, and everything is riding on it's concrete, heated and air-conditioned foundation.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6476 - 12/23/14 at 14:26:38

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6477 - 12/23/14 at 20:06:17

"Larks' Tongues In Aspic" king crimson

Glad you`re at one with the universe again Lon, it`s been quite a trip.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6478 - 12/23/14 at 20:15:25

Indeed.

Right now, the third disc from the deluxe version of Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Vol. 8, "Telltale Signs."

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6479 - 12/23/14 at 20:44:53

Phew a 30 min coltrane blow on side one will need some stamina training in concentration. Side 3 now and he`s tripping out again  :)
The 200gm Classic cut is good.
ah now some nice piano..

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6480 - 12/24/14 at 16:35:44

Helene Grimaud playing brahms concertos from Duetsche Grammophon followed by Bocelli's Romanza.

Happy holidays

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6481 - 12/24/14 at 17:10:02

I saw the Dallas Winds' Christmas program last night.  They played a piece called "Minor Alterations #2" by a sax player in the band.  He had previously composed the original..."Minor Alterations", played in a previous Christmas Concert.  He transposes well known Christmas Music into the Minor Key with delightful results. Enjoy the tunes,  Mark.

PS...the sound's off on CNBC and I've slipped a little Pepper into the Jolida 100 CDP in the den with the ZSMs and Omegas.

PSS...Marky, my three favorite vinyl stores all have 10% off now with free US shipping or reduced rates for international shipping at some.  I'm investigating some Classic Records label offerings...I need to try them out.  Any recommendations...anyone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbkmRZxaE3A  #1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTJxw_2duno   #2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6482 - 12/24/14 at 18:56:52

CD #1 of this set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6483 - 12/25/14 at 16:38:41

I just placed two orders.  One with Music Matters' site for 10 more 45 RPM Blue Note albums and one with Music Direct for another 45 RPM Music Matters Blue Note and two Impex Miles Davis albums...see below.  I was reading about Mingus reissues but wasn't able to decide.  I'll leave him for another day.  Enough Damage done for one day.  I wish Kevin Gray would do some Mingus and Coltrane Quartet on Impulse albums at his newly cabled studio.

I'm listening to the Miles Davis..."In a Silent Way" CD box set now. Mark.

Code      Item      Qty      Price      Grand Total
MMBST-84182      Wayne Shorter - Juju
1      $49.95      $49.95
MMBLP-1524      Kenny Dorham - At Cafe Bohemia
MMBST-84175      Herbie Hancock - Empyrean Isles
MMBST-84058      Hank Mobley - Roll Call
MMBST-84185      H. Silver - Song For My Father
MMBST-3032      Lee Morgan - The Procrastinator
MMBST-84173      Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer
MMBST-84194      Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil
MMBST-84052      Tina Brooks - Back To The Tracks
MMBST-84091      Sonny Clark - Leapin' and Lopin'

LMM4135      FREDDIE HUBBARD - HERE TO STAY (LIMITED EDITION 180g 45RPM 2LP)-FREDDIE HUBBARD - HERE TO STAY (LIMITED EDITION 180g 45RPM 2LP)
Not yet shipped.
Availability: Usually ships in 3 - 7 business days*

Coupon code applies to item      1      $49.99      $5.00      $44.99

LIMP6018      MILES DAVIS - E.S.P. (NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION 180G Vinyl LP)-MILES DAVIS - E.S.P. (NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION 180G Vinyl LP)
Not yet shipped.
Availability: Ships Today*

Coupon code applies to item      1      $32.99            $32.99

LIMP6009      MILES DAVIS - IN PERSON AT THE BLACKHAWK FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHTS (NUMBERED LMTD EDITION 180G 2LP)-MILES DAVIS - IN PERSON AT THE BLACKHAWK FRIDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHTS (NUMBERED LMTD EDITION 180G 2LP)
Not yet shipped.
Availability: Ships Today*

Coupon code applies to item      1      $54.99            $54.99

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6484 - 12/25/14 at 17:39:33

Now a very nice 1991 CD release...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6485 - 12/25/14 at 18:56:48

This two CD set from Joni Mitchell finds large band and orchestral treatments of many of her songs...very nice.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/travelogue-mw0000227086

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6486 - 12/26/14 at 17:05:52

Grant Green-`Street of Dreams` ( Ltd.ed.)-VINYL LP    £11.99
 BLUE NOTE NEW

ROBERT WYATT ;
Rock Bottom                                                                 £16.99
Dondestan (revisited) dbl                                               £17.99
Ruth is Stranger Than Richard dbl                                   £17.99
all on Domino  

Pet the Preacher `Banjo`  Ltd   ed                                  £19.99  

hendrix `Hear my Music`  Sony Dbl                                  £25.99

M. Davis `Miles` orig jazz clsscs                                               £20.99                                                                                  

JOHN COLTRANE-MY FAVORITE THINGS+AFRICA/BRASS  £17.99
dbl

RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS-CALIFORNICATION- dbl            £15.99

post free from Germany

Should do me for a few months now.( I`m starting to forget what new ones I`ve bought )  :)
Seasons greetings to all !

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6487 - 12/26/14 at 17:25:26

Marky, that Grant Green album is one I didn't consider.  On CD I have some of his sessions with organ but I prefer an acoustic Piano.  Now, if you're a big fan of Larry Young, as many are, this might be right up your alley.  Also the great Bobby Hutcherson is on that one...his contribution to a session is always positive.  Let me know what you think of it.  I'll try to find my CD of this and give it another try.

I've been so impressed with Music Matters Blue Note issues that I had to buy more at retail direct from their site.  Many of these titles had their prices jacked up at other retail online stores but if Music Matters had it, it was $49.95 for the 45 RPMs.  Some are already out of stock on their site. Of course there are no discounts on the LPs or shipping...I paid about $2 per album to have it sent via Fed Ex. I've already been reading rumors of a new round of 33 RPM Blue Notes for 2015...one is supposed to be Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage".  I'll probably buy it even though I just bought the Analogue Productions 45 RPM version  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6488 - 12/26/14 at 19:14:24

I usually read the Allmusic review Mark and the G.Green one is a pretty laid back album right through and they mention the organ as not being as prominent as others. I hope it`s not lift ( elevator ) music but in the groove solos with integrated rythyms. I have one of his albums where the organ is a little old fasioned. I think Allmusic also mentioned that his albums are less good when he went into funk. Larry Young rings a bell...Larry Corryell as well.
Syd.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6489 - 12/26/14 at 19:43:19

Yes,  all music guide is helpful when trying to decide what to buy.  Also don't forget that with the advent of free online streaming you can sample  thousands of albums.  I particularly like Spotify.  Your Grant Green LP is there as well as others.  There is a two CD reissue that has Grant Green and Sonny Clark in a Quartet format that's very nice as I recall...I'm not sure what original titles these would be but anything with Sonny Clark and Grant Green together is excellent. I'm listening to Street of Dreams as I type.  The first song is as I expected. Not bad but I'll stick with the Classic Hard Bop titles with acoustic piano when purchasing pricey audiophile vinyl.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6490 - 12/26/14 at 20:35:51

Marky you'll like Grant with Larry Young, not old-fashioned organ at all.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6491 - 12/26/14 at 20:38:22

You`ve got a good deal going there Mark. I`m still trying to find a similar setup over here. I played your 2 u-tube tracks at the breakfast table this morning and enjoyed them. Re your Classic label investigations. Maybe you should start with a latest offering as the price of the older ones seem to rocket.

This is a grey market album before I got clued up. Can you reccomend a similar line up with the prominent bass ?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6492 - 12/26/14 at 21:26:51

Marky, the album you showed is one of two that was released by the Bill Evans Trio with Scott LaFaro on Bass, recorded live at the Village Vanguard in 1961. The other is call "Sunday At The Village Vanguard".  This music has been reissued in many forms...I have a 3 CD set of all the Music from these sessions but on Vinyl there is a Milestone twofer that has both original albums called "The Village Vanguard Sessions".

This trio with LaFaro only made it into the studio twice before he was killed in an auto accident..."Portrait in Jazz" and "Explorations" are the titles.  Again there is a Milestone twofer with both albums called "Spring Leaves".  All these titles were originally released on the Riverside Label and all have gotten the audiophile treatment but most are OOP and command crazy prices. I've had an order in for a year or more for the Complete Riverside set of 45 RPM albums from Analogue Productions...I don't think I'll ever get it. All of Bill's Riverside output is worth acquiring.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6493 - 12/26/14 at 23:30:59

Just made an ebay buy...see below...$40.80...free shipping.  All VG+ or better vinyl grade

This two-LP set from 1979 restored solos that were edited out of the two albums Mingus Ah Um and Mingus Dynasty, and includes some newly issued material from those dates. Not a reissue so much as a remake.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6494 - 12/27/14 at 00:27:20

These three 45 RPM Music Matters Blue Notes are on deck for play tonight...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6495 - 12/27/14 at 12:26:47

I've pulled a CD from the Sarah Vaughn box set of emarcy/mercury Jazz albums.  This is the album playing...

I'm not sure how I came to read about 7308's this morning but I've found myself going down the rabbit hole again...heaven help me...hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6496 - 12/27/14 at 14:07:33

This CD is a companion to one I played earlier this month.  It finds Bill Evans in fine form with his last trio in July 1980 at Ronnie Scott's...he would be dead in September.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6497 - 12/27/14 at 16:11:39

This is one weird album, but I'm loving it. It's like...well, a progressive death metal circus of music. I don't care much for the cookie monster screaming, but the music is great. I'm going to have to track down some more of this.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Opening and Closing.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6498 - 12/27/14 at 17:46:41

Right now, once again the third disc from the deluxe version of Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series Vol. 8, "Telltale Signs."

Just love the three discs of Vol. 8.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6499 - 12/28/14 at 02:09:43

One of my most beloved recordings, Carl Orff's Carmina Burana by Andre Previn, in the top 5 of my favorite LP's.

JD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 132 ... 512
Send Topic Print