Reply #6650 - 01/13/15 at 18:20:02

Agree!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #6651 - 01/13/15 at 18:30:54

disc 1

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6652 - 01/13/15 at 19:54:56

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6653 - 01/13/15 at 20:18:44

Groovy

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6654 - 01/13/15 at 21:21:56

Hip

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #6655 - 01/14/15 at 01:33:33

Started with Jason Isbell's Southeastern, great songs but i'm sorry the pressing sucks, sounds better when I hear the songs through my magnum dynalab tube fm tuner.
Jonsi's Go, boy there is something about artist's from Iceland.
Pulp Common People great party album  
back to Sphere'b by Daniel Hope containing one of my favorites Ludovico Einaudi, I hope to hear him live some day.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6656 - 01/14/15 at 09:52:28

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6657 - 01/14/15 at 20:40:51

200gm + cd
Playing Sunday at the Vanguard Bill Evans for the 3rd time (not tonight) and the amps have been on all day. Exquisite.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6658 - 01/14/15 at 21:08:48

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6659 - 01/14/15 at 21:22:53

Lon,  I've been waiting forever for MFSL to issue their 33 RPM version of this.  They're taking a long time, not sure what the problem is...same with their 45 RPM version of "Kind Of Blue".  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6660 - 01/14/15 at 21:40:41

Yet another reason I am not buying audiophile vinyl. Smiley I don't understand Mobile Fidelity's scheduling at all, seems haphazard.

I'm glad I have a few good SACD players (just moved one over to my Dad's place and he's really digging the sound of the classical SACDs I bring over). This Miles SACD sounds fantastic.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6661 - 01/14/15 at 22:03:30

There are so many other reissues that I really don't mind the wait.  Besides I have it on CD as well.  I'm really looking forward to the Music Matters 33 RPM  Blue Note series for 2015.  Twenty...about two per month at $35 each.  You should try a couple. below is a photo from elusive disc of the LPs to be reissued this year.  The first two will be "Out To Lunch" and "Maiden Voyage" to be available soon...this month.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6662 - 01/14/15 at 22:14:37

No thanks. I'm not buying vinyl of things that I already have on other formats except jazz that was originally issued on 78s, and I have all these, most more than one copy, some more than two. Regular vinyl sounds fantastic to me, I can buy about four discs for the cost of these one discs, and audiophile vinyl is just not my thing.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6663 - 01/14/15 at 22:21:03

Quote:
Lon said,
I've been avoiding it. Last thing I need to see is an abusive jazz teacher.

That's too bad, because I was hoping you could recommend to me some Jazz albums/artists based on the soundtrack. Sad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6664 - 01/14/15 at 22:37:45

If you let me know what you like and don't like from the soundtrack I can certainly offer some suggestions.

I've just never seen a jazz movie that was really satisfying and/or accurate, and as a former drummer I don't want to see the agony of a young guy going through the "schitt."

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6665 - 01/14/15 at 23:32:37

I understand, no worries ... I don't want you having some sort of flashbacks Grin

For what its worth though ~ other than a couple of stories about how Bird got his name (which after researching it out turns out not to be absolutely correct), I don't think there is a lot put into historical perspective other than a few name drops and posters hanging on the wall, etc. and centers more around a young guy wanting to be the best jazz drummer possible and an asshole of a teacher who is trying to find HIS own "Bird" and that's why he is putting so much pressure on his students.

"Whiplash", "Caravan", "Intoit" and "Two Hip To Retire" were some of the main songs, but I don't know the artists and/or if they are Jazz classics or were written for the movie.

If I could say one thing about the movie, although I like Jazz and listen to it quite a bit, those songs were ferociously done and really opened my listening up by hearing them played that way to want to hear a lot more of that particular style.  Especially coming thorugh in blue ray sound quality.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6666 - 01/14/15 at 23:45:44

I went to Amazon and looked up the Soundtrack of "Whiplash".  There is one track played by Stan Getz (Intiot).  I also recognized Caravan by Duke Ellington but don't think it's played by him or his Big Band.  Other than that I didn't recognize anything.  By the way, the soundtrack is available on Spotify.  Mark.

PS...I mis-spoke..."Caravan" is a jazz standard composed by Juan Tizol and first performed by Duke Ellington in 1936.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq1z0nOPSbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2lWF8ohXuI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEsu9dOM2og
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS-G4UQTfUo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r95flkZciJE

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6667 - 01/15/15 at 00:46:54

Well, I'm glad I missed the movie in the theater and probably won't watch it on disc.

Personally, when I first got into jazz I was into the "ferocious" aspects but I've grown to leave those on the shelf more than taking them down. . . .

Looks like most of the score is written for the film by two composers and the title track by another, with two older pieces (one by Getz and one by Ellington).

I'm going to make a few recommendations that I think will be in the spirt of the film.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6668 - 01/15/15 at 00:53:54

And

Looking for clips of these should point you here and there.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6669 - 01/15/15 at 02:12:31

Wow, thanks Lon and Mark ... I will check some of those titles out.  

I do have:

Mingus - The Black Saint And The Sinner
Getz - Getz Au Go Go
Adderly - Somethin Else

To be honest I never liked Jazz that much growing up (and still not a huge fan of Jazz fusion), but as my system has gotten better and maybe myself maturing with my musical tastes as well.  I have come to appriciate a lot of it only within the last 2 years or so though.  It makes sense that I was drawn to the music in the movies as I am a "rocker" at heart so that may be the reason I loved the soundtrack so much ... don't get me wrong though there are some smooth numbers as well in the movie that were great too though.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6670 - 01/15/15 at 03:09:30

I guess in my case it was living in Africa that led me to jazz, though there was some jazz in my parents' collection and that paved the way. But I didn't hear US pop and rock much until I came back at 16 and then it just seemed so simplistic and wimpy to me after Ethiopian and south African music. . . I wasn't used to it. I immediately gravitated to the heavy hard stuff. Hendrix grabbed me and led me to funk. . . I liked black music more than anything. And then about six months after we were back and I was seventeen I borrowed Filles De Kilamanjaro and In A Silent Way by Miles Davis from the library . . . that led me to fusion and jazz. . . and though I kept up with new wave and blues-rock into the 'eigties. . . it's been jazz and blues and soul and funk for me until I discovered Brazilian. . . and then classical as main courses.

Those jazz you have are interesting. . . but not like what's in the movie I bet. The Adderley I posted below is harder edged than Somethin' else. . . the Mingus is grittier and fiercer too. I'm glad the music has grabbed you in the movie and hope you find some things that will keep your interest rolling along. Jazz is a deep ocean of a genre to swim in!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6671 - 01/15/15 at 03:40:46

Interesting story Lon, just curious, how did it come that you grew up there?  Are your parents from there or in the service or something?

Also interesting that you brought up Hendrix.  When I was younger I really loved his stuff for how hard it was, but lately when I listen to him I see more to it than hard rock .. I now see some Jazz influences and was recently wondering to myself if he might have delved deeper into that genre if he lived on (lived on of course in the physical sense as what he did record will always live on).

I'll for sure check out the edgier stuff you recommended!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6672 - 01/15/15 at 10:59:16

I was in Africa age 11 to 16 because my Dad was an administrator for the Peace Corps. It's a long story I'll try to condense a bit.

In '66 my Dad, who was an innercity Philadelphia minister in a bad neighborhood that had been a poor white neighborhood and became a poor African-American neighborhood was contacted by the White House to be considered for a cabinet/think tank/forum that LBJ wanted to start of "ordinary" Americans that he could consult with issues (the "White House Fellowship"). 2000 Americans were interviewed, and from those 45 were selected to go to a dinner at the White House, meet the Pres and Vice-Pres and from those the final 15 were selected. Well, my Dad made the 45 but was not part of the final 15 and was relieved because he was a severe conscientious objector and the war was geared up and he just didn't want to have to deal with that. But as soon as he was back the Peace Corps called him up and he was sure that was God's plan. So for two years he was an Assistant Director in the huge Peace Corps program in Ethiopia, and then the very first Director of the Peace Corps in Swaziland for three years. Our whole family (two parents, four kids) were in Africa during this time. Fascniating experience and one that has made me forever different than those I returned to live among when the years were up and my Dad got a rural Ohio church so that we could all be near my two sets of grandparents. . . .

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6673 - 01/15/15 at 13:50:51

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6674 - 01/15/15 at 14:23:54

Pre-orders are being taken for King Crimsons new `Live at the Orpheum` from their recent US tour ( out 26th Jan ). The new line up includes 3 drummers !
I`m looking forward to their UK tour this year which is a must see for me.

Since I got my cd player back in the system the local HMV store has been like a magnet every time I walk past. Bargain basement, 2 for a tenner. Today I bought a 2cd, 4 album Art Pepper deal along with a Diana Krall album. If I like anything I can always check out the vinyl.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6675 - 01/15/15 at 16:08:08

Liszt Hungarian Rhapsodies and Transcendental Etudes, Georges Cziffra, EMI SACD. I'm listening to the first nine Rhapsodies.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6676 - 01/15/15 at 18:21:23

First time listen to Art so I didn`t know what to expect. So far so good. Fresh swing.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #6677 - 01/15/15 at 19:21:17

ZP3 now in Fifth Week: last night I just had to keep spinning the LP's..sound just getting more and more glorious!!

and:  SO

Porcupine tree - fear of a blank planet.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6678 - 01/15/15 at 22:30:10

Yes I`m having a late one tonight, the vinyl is so inviting.
This double album is a gem.
I must get some more Porcupine tree. I like them every time but only have 1 of their albums.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #6679 - 01/15/15 at 23:10:19

Interesting story Lon, thanks for sharing.  I could see how that would impact a youngman's perspective in music, but a lot of other ways as well.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #6680 - 01/16/15 at 12:21:36

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6681 - 01/16/15 at 12:57:35

Buika es muy hermosa

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #6682 - 01/16/15 at 13:02:31

Smiley Lon, so you also speak Spanish!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6683 - 01/16/15 at 13:06:12

Sólo un poco! I know how to tell senoritas that they are lovely and sweet and kind. Smiley One of the most important women in my life is of Mexican descent (but third generation American and doesn't speak much Spanish).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6684 - 01/16/15 at 13:11:05

Disc 5

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6685 - 01/16/15 at 16:12:20

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6686 - 01/16/15 at 20:26:29

The excellent new remaster

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6687 - 01/16/15 at 21:15:32

Such incredible music, and this SACD sounds amazing. AMAZING.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6688 - 01/16/15 at 21:31:13

Lon,  I bought a used original copy of that album a while back.  It may be my favorite Dylan album.  I've been contemplating getting the MFSL Vinyl but keep on opting not too.  The standard Vinyl sounds real good.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6689 - 01/16/15 at 21:36:58

I have an original vinyl bought when it was released as well. It sounds very good. I love this SACD though. . . has a little magic of its own.

Right now, another SACD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6690 - 01/16/15 at 23:09:22

The odd but interesting disc 3

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6691 - 01/17/15 at 00:51:46

Disc 3
Wow, the DCD-A100 in this system is kicking ass.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6692 - 01/17/15 at 01:07:25

That's a great Late Evan's box.  I'm listening to another favorite Piano trio...Disc #5 then more from the box.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6693 - 01/17/15 at 01:47:03

Yes, that is a great one.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #6694 - 01/17/15 at 10:39:03

Enrique Morente with Lagartija Nick "Omega"

http://www.discogs.com/Morente-Lagartija-Nick-Omega/release/2805052

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6695 - 01/17/15 at 15:46:57

Miles Davis, Kind of Blue, mono, from Mono Albums box set.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6696 - 01/17/15 at 17:39:58

v/n music

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6697 - 01/17/15 at 18:51:11

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6698 - 01/18/15 at 20:07:49

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #6699 - 01/18/15 at 20:43:09

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 512
Send Topic Print