Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7050 - 02/22/15 at 18:30:58

You might want to pose that question in anohter thread Mark, I'm not sure Will reads this one.

Right now
The wonderful Lars Gullin

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7051 - 02/22/15 at 19:15:13

Lon,  I did a search on reconstructive feedback and read some of Will's past musings on this feature.

This next LP has Hot Cymbals so I switched back to the stock Russian input tube on the CSP3 removing the Amperex 7308...still Hot.  When are the resistors for the HR-1s going to get here?  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #7052 - 02/22/15 at 19:26:54

Led Zeppelin II.  1A/1A RL x 2

With the ZP3 using a Philips 5R4GYS I finally get what the fuss is about with this version.  With my cheap phono pre it was tubby.  Man before getting this ZP3 I had just about given up thinking the Torii III and Monoliths were gonna be able to produce the bass I crave.  But its just like Steve says.  This Decware gear will totally reveal your weak components for what they are.

The bass I'm getting now is huge, tight prodigious!  I love it Man!

Torii MkIII with Jupiter caps, ZP3 with Jupiter caps, DM947 Monoliths, Oppo 105, Pro-ject Rm-5.1 Se TT. Hana SH Shibata MC Cartridge 2.0mV
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7053 - 02/22/15 at 19:35:21

I've got a whole bunch of 100 ohm resistors I could send you. Wink

Right now

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7054 - 02/22/15 at 19:40:07

Some Beethoven and now this jolly jaunt.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7055 - 02/22/15 at 20:03:13

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7056 - 02/22/15 at 20:09:44

Hey Lon,  for the hell of it I calculated the cut that would occur with a 100 ohm resistor on the tweeter of the HR-1...28.3 dB cut...why even have a tweeter?...hehe.  I think Bob forgot to send them out and I haven't heard from parts connection about my back ordered resistors.

This next...very nice and well recorded session from 1981...

PS...Lon,  I just remembered you use a 33 ohm resistor which gives a 19.3 dB cut.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7057 - 02/22/15 at 20:20:02

I did use 100 ohm resistors in the past. Believe it or not a lot of tweeter came through.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7058 - 02/22/15 at 20:25:15

So Syd,  I take it that your LP order arrived.  Tell me when you start the RCA Sonny Rollins set and I'll put on my copy...if I'm still here.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7059 - 02/22/15 at 20:58:04

So far I`ve played side one Mark. It`s  ( hold on, Girl From The North Country`s Just come on ) tbc

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7060 - 02/22/15 at 21:15:23

OK Syd...I guess I'm on my own.  I'll play my reissue copy from ORG of "The Bridge" later.  

Back to the tunes, this next.  Sounds amazing....I always liked the Dan.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7061 - 02/22/15 at 21:44:43

This next...a nice Count Basie recording from 1970...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7062 - 02/22/15 at 22:10:20

Sorry, I played side two of Dylan first so played side one next, and the pc battery was warning at 14%.

Right, side one of Quartets S. Rollins Mark, I could tell straight away it was the real deal. And atmospheric. So good that I left sides 2,3 & 4 for a proper session after listening to other new buys. Probably tomorrow. One thing that gave it another wow factor was the last track where Rollins`s sax has a different tone. Never heard that before. Anyway, it`s in the can as they say, in my listening room.
Syd
Ps all the LP issues and cds were digitally remastered way back but  still cut the mustard.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7063 - 02/22/15 at 22:50:13

Next LP, some very cool Mangione in a small group from the early 70's released in 1972.

PS...reading the back...Chuck plays...flugelhorn, electric piano and COWBELL!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMMaEJkOjbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtRxKRS0r8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0jGqymxO_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huG6T7AHTuQ

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7064 - 02/22/15 at 23:40:11

Next LP...with Harmonica...WTF...seems to work.  Not a favorite though it is enjoyable.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7065 - 02/22/15 at 23:43:06

Toots is also a great guitar player. I wish he would stick to guitar. Smiley

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7066 - 02/22/15 at 23:50:20

Great sound and performances.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7067 - 02/23/15 at 00:19:09

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7068 - 02/23/15 at 00:50:50

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7069 - 02/23/15 at 01:23:01

Sides 5 and 6 of this Vinyl set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7070 - 02/23/15 at 01:39:11

The excellent performance of Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite" from this great box set. (George Szell and Cleveland Symphony Orchestra).

PS: The 6L6 are sounding quite good with this material, very focused and dynamic.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7071 - 02/23/15 at 02:19:12

Lon,  I've been watching some GE and RCA used NOS 6L6GC tubes on ebay to get an idea of how much they go for before I buy new production tubes.  The RCA black plates seem to be the favorites but I doubt I'd be willing to pay up for them.  So I'm probably going to choose between two matched pairs of 60's GE 6L6GCs or the new ones you have.  Or I might do nothing.  Mark.

This is playing...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7072 - 02/23/15 at 02:59:21

Next LP...I guess when this side is done, I should go watch some of the Oscars.  I see on Bloomberg news that J. K. Simmons won for his part in "Whiplash".  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7073 - 02/23/15 at 03:08:21

Sounds like a good plan Mark. They have an interesting presentation on the Torii Mk III, a denser soundstage and a robust feel. I think I prefer the TAD and Genelex KT66 overall, but on some material the 6L6 really seem appropriate. But they're sort of a sideshow, not the main attraction overall.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7074 - 02/23/15 at 13:16:28

Mahler 10th from the George Szell Edition.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7075 - 02/23/15 at 16:52:07

LP's that stood out this weekend....

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7076 - 02/23/15 at 21:47:00

Mark, I like sides 1&2, side three was ok untill the singing started and then the "Nooooo dont stop the carnival" track. Side 4 I got sidetracked reading Stones ZDSD post.
I`ll give it some more spins soon. The slowish toneful sax and guitar are v/nice as is the depth (distance away) of the drummers brushwork, bass is good as well. Great recording.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7077 - 02/23/15 at 22:25:56

Syd,  I have to tell you the truth,  I haven't listened to that set since i bought a reissue of "The Bridge" on the ORG label.  I just went and pulled both LPs and the first LP of "Quartets" is "The Bridge" in different playing order...recorded Jan and Feb of 1962.  The second LP is cuts from two other LPs, recorded later.  I'll have to listen to it...I don't remember singing. "God Bless The Child" is heavenly. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7078 - 02/23/15 at 22:43:29

I have the Org SACD of "The Bridge" (as well as several CD versions). The Org SACD sounds excellent.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7079 - 02/24/15 at 00:15:49

I didn't turn on the heat in the bedrooms today so my Listening Cave is freezing. I plan on staying in the den and enjoying the Monoblocks.  I've replaced the RCA 5R4GYs with the pair of 50's RCA 5U4Gs that also came last week or was it the week before?  I've pulled some Mingus, Monk and will play CD #4 from the Hot Pepper Set.  This first.  Mark.

PS...I prefer the warmer, richer sound of the 5U4Gs to the 5R4GYs.  The Amperex 6922s sound better with this rectifier.  The real test will be the Art Pepper CD next.  After tonight I'll put in the well burned in RCA 5U4Gs initially in the Monoblocks prior to all the experimentation.

IP Logged
anthem
Verified Member

Reply #7080 - 02/24/15 at 00:55:32

Just finished a fantastic set from Rick Braun / Best of Rick Braun. Of particular interest, "Cadillac Slim".

41tH6TNBNhL__SL640_.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7081 - 02/24/15 at 01:31:15

Ok, this is more like it.  The cymbals are still prominent but tolerable...less edgy and sharp than with the 1946 RCA Double getter 5R4GYs.  For the Monos, I don't think I need to try other rectifiers...although Will does have me a bit interested in the GZ 32s...maybe if I see them cheap.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7082 - 02/24/15 at 01:45:58

Whew!

Chilling now with the last cd here at Dad's. A favorite!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7083 - 02/24/15 at 02:44:40

Monk-ing around with this 1964 live set...

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7084 - 02/24/15 at 16:32:09

A couple of nice spins last evening...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7085 - 02/24/15 at 18:35:29

First,  I think we're all here to have fun and learn...not to get tense and angry. Derogatory comments about fellow posters have no place here. Derogatory comments about tubes and equipment are welcome. If you don't like what someone posts, just don't read their posts.  Some of us are getting old and repeat ourselves.  Some of us are getting old and repeat ourselves...

Moving on,  I've gone back to my old Amperex 7308s and RCA 5U4Gs in the Monoblocks.  So far they give the most pleasing sound paired with the Zu Audio Soul speakers....the Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s when using the Omega Alinco speakers....but the investigation of input tubes will continue...later.  I'm not sure I want to try other rectifiers in the Monos though.

This now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7086 - 02/24/15 at 18:54:49

Yes, I apologize for my part in whatever anger and frustration is apparent here.

Sounds like a good tube plan Mark. Your pulling me towards 7308 type has been the last significant change to my tube complements. Going back to 6N1P for a bit for a change led me to realize what I really saw in that tube type and I can be happy with them, but the little gain lift from the 7308 is welcome and I'm sticking with them. The 5U4 type is a great compromise for power and finesse and though I do like the 5V4 type in my main amp, it would be a 5U4 otherwise.

No music for me today, catching up on the DVR and then heading out for an evening with Lucy. Ah, can't wait to be out in the woods with Lucy! Even though it's COLD!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7087 - 02/24/15 at 19:14:33

Lon,  I hadn't read your retort when I wrote my post...I'll leave it at that.

In regards to the 7308s, I was just paying it forward.  It was Mike from whom you bought the Raytheon 12AX7s, that recommended and sold me the first two pair of Amperex 7308s.  Aside from the stock inputs, they have been in the Torii since the beginning.

In regards to Hi Fi in general, I owe a huge debt to the many folks that have posted here and other sites.  It is how I've learned about and acquired the equipment and tubes I have...none of my knowledge is original.  That's how it works in life...I believe.  Mark.

PS...Lon,  another recommendation.  You really should try the 60's Russian Triple Mica tubes that Syd and I bought...in the output spots of your CSP.  I was surprised what a positive difference they made compared to the stock tubes. And they're relatively cheap at $55 a pair. Here's the current listing for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RAREST-MATCHED-BALANCED-PAIR-6N1P-E-military-boxed-a...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7088 - 02/24/15 at 19:51:52

Next CD.  A little of Jarrett's Standards Trio recorded in 1989...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7089 - 02/24/15 at 20:21:55

Haven`t played this for months

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7090 - 02/24/15 at 20:33:38

marky....classic Freddie..nice!
Mark58, uhhhh forgot what I was gonna say...hell at 60 I do it more than I used to. Have a great day guys & gals.
I'd take the worse day of music over the best day of TV anytime...repeat.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7091 - 02/24/15 at 21:03:02

All those serials come and go and I dont watch one.

Spoiling myself this evening.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7092 - 02/24/15 at 22:53:45

Nice way to round a good session off with. Flamenco Sketches...what can you say.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7093 - 02/25/15 at 03:32:46

Hey Mark, I've been using a pair of "unbranded" NOS 7308s in the two spots in my CSP2+ (actually, both of them) and they are working so well I'm just letting them be! I made so many changes last year this year I'm just going to try to leave as much be as possible in the main system!

Acetone, I really enjoy some TV and I know I watch too much, but there are some excellent shows. This afternoon I got caught up on "Better Call Saul," and "Black Sails." I have pitifully few hours to myself so I have to split between TV and music sometimes, and the DVR sound is amazing through the DirectStream and the Torii.

Ended up putting my Eddie Vaughn modded "C" amp into the system at my fiancees in place of the DAL Audio chip amp that had been in there. When I tried this before the amp didn't seem to like the speakers but I put better cabling in and wow, it sounds good. So does the DAL Audio amp, it surprises me how well this gain clone copy sounds, actually more solid tonal balance than the Decware, but not holographic. Finishing up the night back home with this one:

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7094 - 02/25/15 at 10:40:21

Back to back Storeage Wars. Great show. I`ve seen a few Pawn Stars, they get some interesting stuff. I had to take a reality check when he bought a mortar. I thought okay....fireworks or something. He fed it with bowling balls. He was freaking out. Chumlee rules.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7095 - 02/25/15 at 13:19:23

IP Logged
bvictor
Verified Member

Reply #7096 - 02/25/15 at 14:06:15

Bertini's Mahler series

image_028.jpg

DECWARE: SE34I.2, HDTs; CSP2, TABOO, Zen Styx, RL 1.5s; Mystery Amp, ZDAC-1, Klipsch KLF-30s; Bridged Raches with Klipsch Forte IIs and Monoliths
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7097 - 02/25/15 at 15:10:37

I've got CD #5 locked and loaded for later today.  Mark

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7098 - 02/25/15 at 15:15:09

Really Syd,  Storage Wars and Pawn Stars?  I can say I watched one episode of Storage Wars but it was only out of curiosity since one of the Buyers is a Podiatrist I've worked with several times in the past....Morris Prigoff.  Mark.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7099 - 02/25/15 at 16:23:24

LP's last night...one extreme to another..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 142 143 144 ... 512
Send Topic Print