Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1815841 times)
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7100 - 02/25/15 at 18:41:33

Morris ? You might be thinking Storage Wars Texas, Mark
Thats funny as well.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7101 - 02/25/15 at 18:49:11

Syd,  exactly.  

I'm looking into these tubes...Quad Russian 6P3S-E coin base tubes...ever heard anything about them.  They are power tubes similar to 6L6GCs.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7102 - 02/25/15 at 19:11:46

They look interesting Mark.   Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7103 - 02/25/15 at 19:31:45

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7104 - 02/25/15 at 19:37:25

Lon,  I bought that one on 45 RPM vinyl by Music Matters, I haven't listened to it yet.

That Basie Live I just played was incredible...

Now some Standards Trio Live in 1986...CD #1...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7105 - 02/25/15 at 19:41:51

It's a great date. This one is the new Japanese SHM-CD that has bonus tracks added.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7106 - 02/25/15 at 20:12:00

Easy night tonight, just relax

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7107 - 02/25/15 at 21:46:10

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7108 - 02/25/15 at 21:52:19

So Lon,  what's the verdict on the new mastering of that Led Zep?  I almost bought the 2 LP version yesterday but pop market was only taking $3 off retail.  I decided to wait and read some reviews.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7109 - 02/25/15 at 22:08:53

The CDs are very crisp and modern sounding, no mud or grunge. . . sounds a bit weird at first, but overall no disputing these are great masterings. Tons of dynamic range, these can be cranked up HIGH.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7110 - 02/26/15 at 16:30:38

Last nights listen...

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7111 - 02/26/15 at 19:20:52

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7112 - 02/27/15 at 00:10:23

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7113 - 02/27/15 at 16:23:21

LP sounds good as ever...

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7114 - 02/27/15 at 20:09:17

I`m really diggin this. With just the three piece Reggie Johnson the bass player reminds me of S L Faro with B. Evans

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7115 - 02/27/15 at 20:15:54

Reggie Johnson is a great player. I really enjoy his recordings with Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and especially his work with Bobby Hutcherson.

Right now I'm watching and listening to the DVDs that come with the new English releases of the Pretenders albums; I got the first three and Isle of the View. . . I may get the other four as I love this band. Before I left Ohio for Texas I think I saw them about four times, whenever I could--I sort of had a crush on Chrissie. I'm over that, for sure, but I do love the music. The DVDs are short for the first three albums, 20 to 30 minutes, but had videos I had never seen before, and the sound is better than where I have some of them elsewhere.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7116 - 02/27/15 at 20:56:45

Thanks Lon. I did a quick recce and nearly took a flier on the "Marion Brown Quartet" (another new name) but theres two bass players. I`ll check out the ones you mention.
Pretenders, thats cool. Bit like 10cc, you think pop band but when you see them live they are/were really good, not just a singles band.

This again

vinyl

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7117 - 02/27/15 at 21:43:57

Marky, Marion Brown is an acquired taste. Smiley More outside often than inside. . . if you know what i mean.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7118 - 02/28/15 at 00:39:44

In the Cave with the heat turned up.  Playing this with the treble control all the way up with the 10 ohm resistor in the HR-1...so about a 8 dB cut.  Sounds very sweet.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7119 - 02/28/15 at 00:54:13

I bought this at HPB&Rs, it's pretty warped, may have to return it next week, after I play it a couple times...sounds nice...no change in settings...

PS...I don't remember owning this. This is from a 1970 Concert with the Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra.  This is a single LP but was originally a 2 LP set...that's the one I'll be looking for.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7120 - 02/28/15 at 01:46:32

Another HPB&R buy today.  This isn't really my bag these days but I was listening to RTF back in college.  Thought I'd take a trip down memory lane.  I even saw them live in the mid eighties in San Antonio, TX.  Mark

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7121 - 02/28/15 at 02:15:08

Now this Music Matters 45 RPM reissue...another Hot one with the blue note cymbals on the right channel.  Treble control all the way down...so about 14 dB cut.  Sounds nice otherwise...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7122 - 02/28/15 at 02:32:45

Next a Little Dan...treble control at 0 so about 11 dB cut.  Sounds great...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7123 - 02/28/15 at 03:18:02

Santana next...treble control at max...so 8 dB cut.  This copy is a little warped and a little noisy.  I may have to get that reissue...Sounds incredible.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7124 - 02/28/15 at 12:58:59

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7125 - 02/28/15 at 13:46:56

Listening to the SACD of this Living Stereo release. Wow. Excellent sound, indeed!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7126 - 02/28/15 at 15:37:02

Disc 3

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7127 - 02/28/15 at 15:58:35

I just finished watching a 1951 movie on TCM..."Kind Lady" and now have entered the Cave for an extended session.  To start, another Music Matters 45 RPM reissue I hadn't opened yet.  Again, the Right Channel Drums/Cymbals but with the 10 ohm resistor and treble control down all the way...very tolerable...a 14 dB cut.  I need to pull out some reissued Blue Notes from the 70's and 80's to see if they too have this emphasis of the high end.  Is this a trait of Kevin Gray's mastering or on the original Van Gelder tapes?...or just a trait of my system...tubes, cables, power cords, speakers, etc?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7128 - 02/28/15 at 16:09:56

Mark imo it's a combination of the way Van Gelder recorded with his really revealing microphones, the emphasis on transparency that the Decware systems produce, and other system and room factors. The truth of the matter is that the recordings are "hot" and the reproduction is "hot." I listen to a ton of RVG and similar recordings so I am always chasing the right balance of frequencies in playback, or was. . . I think I've found it. . . and don't want to start the chase again. Also I think that this is an inherent problem in recording some instruments, that we get less than the full picture on tape or bits and the way that is interpreted by systems can result in very bright (or in other cases very muddy) aspects being given slight emphasis.

What has really helped ME is using tapes I made of instruments and players in my own living space from the past. . . I know the reality, and the tape, and can then evaluate the playback and tune.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7129 - 02/28/15 at 16:41:21

Lon,  thanks for your thoughts.  I think I too am getting close to an acceptable compromise.  The 10 ohm resistor doesn't quite tone down the high end as much as I'd like but since I have a CSP3 I could always turn down the voltage/gain in the offending channel for the Blue Notes.  Playing other LPs especially those recorded since the 70's, I'm finding that even with the treble control up all the way and the 10 ohm resistor in place, the playback is not too hot...not surprising because I never had a problem with them in the first place.  Now the Columbia Miles Davis recordings have always been a bit hot, not as much as these Blue Notes but still the cymbals and Miles' trumpet had a bit too much bite...edge for me. With the 10 ohm resistor in place and the treble control at 0, I find these recordings greatly improved...Miles' sharp trumpet has the edges smoothed a bit.  I don't have an 8.2 ohm resistor yet but think that value may be the one.  I will try the 15 ohm value tomorrow just to be complete and rule it out.

The below Blue Note LP is one of those Blue Label reissues from the 70's this one released in 1977 of a 1958 session.  For the record,  the treble is no where near as hot as on the Music Matters 45 RPM reissues.  Next I'll try a 33 RPM Music Matters reissue that was made after the cabling at Coherent Studios was changed out and Kevin Gray was doing the Mastering without Steve Hoffman on board as with the 45 RPM reissues.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7130 - 02/28/15 at 17:06:03

Sounds like you've almost got it narrowed down and dialed in. Good news.

Next up

Then I'm headed home and then out into the woods with Lucy.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7131 - 02/28/15 at 17:28:37

Next, this Music Matters 33 RPM reissue.  The first track, "Idle Moments" is very laid back and it's hard to judge the cymbals but the second track is up tempo and it seems the Cymbals aren't as hot as the 45 RPM versions.  That'd be great if it were only the older 45 RPM versions...I'd just not buy anymore of them.  Now the 33 RPM versions...there are another two more released this month.  I listened to "Out To Lunch" on spotify and just can't get into it...that's one that was released last month by Music Matters on 33 RPM vinyl.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7132 - 02/28/15 at 17:59:14

I need to cleanse my palate from Blue Note with a bit of 70's Joni...sounds fantastic as usual...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7133 - 02/28/15 at 20:00:16

I`ve seen this label before somewhere

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7134 - 02/28/15 at 20:07:25

Yes, isn't it strange to be mimicking Afred Lion and Francis Wolff's label?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7135 - 02/28/15 at 20:33:07

It`s a strange album. Not often I hear cats catawailing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7136 - 02/28/15 at 20:40:51

What??????????? Smiley

Doesn't seem a strange one to me. I really like it.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7137 - 02/28/15 at 20:45:53

I've fallen behind...listened to these...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7138 - 02/28/15 at 20:52:50

I dont know Lon, seems like he`s singing out of tune a lot of the time, like he`s semi conscious. Side two`s better. I guess I`ll find the right key to appreciate it all with more spins but it`s a tough one.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7139 - 02/28/15 at 21:07:16

I'm with you on this one Syd,  I listened to a couple tunes from that Dylan LP on you tube and it wasn't my cup of tea.  I wonder if they had to licence the label from Blue Note?  Or is it a blatant rip off? Mark.  

This one now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7140 - 02/28/15 at 21:47:24

As much as I hate to, I may have to move out to my second system because there is a Fed Ex delivery on the truck that requires a signature.  In my Cave I can't hear a knock on the front door.  Some Herbies products and more Amperex 7308s in the package.  Mark.

I got the Fever and the only prescription is more Cowbell!...no wait...make that more Dan!  Note the head nod to Horace Silver in the opening tune, "Rikki Don't Lose That Number"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7141 - 02/28/15 at 22:21:19

A Pink Floyd reissue...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7142 - 02/28/15 at 22:24:14

Wow, you have roast chestnuts as well. The chestnut man in the winter with his brazier. I`ve had a good look for a Columbia Blue Note connection and even though it`s a spiders web with Blue Note and Columbia I cant find a Columbia link.
Ricky dont lose that number it`s the only one you have.....you might need it if you get better....
Fill us in on the Horace Silver link Mark, I`m all ears.
I`m not going to be over critical on Bob yet. The title is Shadows In The Night and it could be the key. The nether world of things that go bump.
Syd

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7143 - 02/28/15 at 22:34:00

Syd, why use words when we have music...Just listen.  Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWeXOm49kE0  Silver released in 1965

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfZWp-hGCdA  Steely Dan released in 1974

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7144 - 02/28/15 at 23:07:21

Third time this afternoon... Art Pepper´s "Living Legend"... Luis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7145 - 02/28/15 at 23:25:50

Luis, that's a good one.  The first Art recorded during his "Comeback" of the 70's, 80's. But there are so many good Pepper albums, why play it three times?  I'll follow your lead with "No Limit" from 1978 also on Contemporary.  Mark.

PS...I just realized everyone who played on "Living Legend" is no longer living...mmmm

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7146 - 03/01/15 at 00:10:15

Good point Mark, not sure why, I jut do it... sometimes it is something I thought I missed, others times it is that solo I want to listen again... well who knows... "Darn That Dream" now. Luis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7147 - 03/01/15 at 00:15:23

Luis, I understand how Art Pepper is addictive.  I'm a bit of a Pepper fanatic myself.  Next, this was recorded live the same year, 1975, as "Living Legend".  Just love Jarrett's improvised solo work of the 70's and early 80's but I have to be in the mood for it...I am tonight...heavenly.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7148 - 03/01/15 at 01:32:21

This Charles Lloyd LP next.  Micheal Petrucciani  convinced Lloyd to come out of "retirement" and I know of two albums with this same quartet. This one on the Electra Musician label and another I have coming in the mail released by Blue Note, pictured second. Both were recorded at Jazz Festivals the first in 1982 the second in 1983. Mark.

PS...I had forgotten that they do a wonderful version of Bill Evans' tune, "Very Early" on this LP.  Maybe Lloyd is a bit more "outside" than I would expect with this tune but it works.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7149 - 03/01/15 at 02:10:00

Next this Analogue Productions 200 gm Mono reissue of "Coltrane" on Prestige...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 143 144 145 ... 512
Send Topic Print