Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1816846 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7150 - 03/01/15 at 02:51:57

Next LP...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7151 - 03/01/15 at 03:31:06

This will be the last LP.  A MFSL reissue...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7152 - 03/01/15 at 13:13:14

Well, yesterday was one Hell of a session in the Cave...12 hours...16 LPs, one double.  To start this morning in the Den with my trusty Monoblocks and Souls, a little Laura Nyro.  It's all good but I enjoy most the albums released in the mid 70's after her return from retirement...after her divorce.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7153 - 03/01/15 at 13:30:48

More Laura...I'm not sure why I thought this was recorded after "Smile".  It wasn't...it was recorded in 1970, six years earlier, and has Duane Allman and Alice Coltrane helping out.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7154 - 03/01/15 at 16:08:05

A morning of Tom Waits on vinyl,

The Heart of Saturday Night
Small Change

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7155 - 03/01/15 at 18:04:57

Back to music in the den.  Some Woody Shaw.  Within the last year I bought the Complete on Columbia box and each time I play one I am astounded how good Woody was.  I believe he was very underrated during his life. But we can say that about many Musicians...not just those that play Jazz.  Lee Morgan is another that came to mind yesterday.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7156 - 03/01/15 at 18:46:49

This next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7157 - 03/01/15 at 19:02:39

I love the Dylan album, a bit of out of tune singing (he's not really that much to my ears) doesn't bother me at all. I love the spare arrangeents and the steel guitar and his phrasing.

It's an hommage or a rip-off (will depend what side you're on as to which that is) of the Blue Note label. They can't really license it and I bet Blue Note is overjoyed, free publicity. Not sure why they did that, but it's fun.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7158 - 03/01/15 at 19:50:07

On the Dylan label I would lean toward Homage but it doesn't make sense.  This is supposed to be a crooner album harking back to those of Sinatra.  Why not use an old Columbia label from when Sinatra was on the label, like the one below...then no worries of trademark infringement. Mark.

PS...I'm watching the original "Music Man" on TCM...Love it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7159 - 03/01/15 at 20:05:32

I don't expect artists or art departments to make sense. I don't believe that Sony has to worry about trademark infringement--it doesn't say "Blue Note" which I think is the only thing "owned." And Dylan cds have had these old Columbia labels on them for more than a decade over and over. . .may just have wanted something different.

Though still not at all Blue Note related, Dylan hasn't directly said "This is a Sinatra tribute album"--yes, these have all been done by Sinatra but they've been done to death by others too and Dylan wanted to "resurrect" old songs for this album. I don't think of it as a Sinatra album, and anyway I am NOT a Sinatra fan. But I really like this one. The late night reminiscing and melancholy mood suits many of mine the last two years. . . which are improving with Lucy in my life now, so I can now listen to and revel in the moods.

Right now, disc 2 of Miles Davis Live at the Plugged Nickel.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7160 - 03/01/15 at 23:53:31

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7161 - 03/02/15 at 10:01:26

Bobs Bob I suppose, when he reaches for some notes you have to go with him. I think theres some comedic angle in the way he has no intention of conformality or sing-along-a-Bob. Big pinch of salt. Melancholic it is.  
The label ? Maybe theres a massive EMI/Sony/Columbia etc merger down the pipeline.
All the tracks are by different composers.
Theres no doubt that those old songs told a story in their day, great lyrics, naive chocoalte-box stuff in that post crash era. Stuff of dreams and hopes and boy meets girl under a full moon. Or as in one track doesn`t meet. Blues of the great songwriters. Bob seems to want to narrate the lyrics, strip them away. So he half narrates half sings. Yes it makes for a heavy dose of melancholy.
Syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7162 - 03/02/15 at 11:59:55

Well Syd, there are two reasons why this album speaks to me so.

One is the songs. I don't know these from Sinatra at all, but I know these songs and they've spoken to me just as I know they've spoken to Bob. He has stripped them down to basics and given his version of them, and what he sings is not exactly what I would (if I could sing!) but it is clear to me how his feelings are generating the singing. I'm an emotional person and emotions well-communicated reach me. I've also spent the last few years with my guitars doing the same thing with songs as far as stripping them down to what I feel is their heartbeat and played around with the melodic heart with countermelodies and rythmic modes and I find that the process brings out the emotions in me in reaction to the song and sound. So I get the process and I feel the results.

Also. . . the mood, that mood of looking back and melancholia. I'm just coming out of that sort of a phase now, so that mood, that aura, is very "visible" to me and familiar and I can inhabit it. Having lost my wife, now mother, having left behind my adult home and my friends, having said goodbye to a woman I adored and loved deeply just because we had responsibilities that kept us across the country from each other. . . I swam, I lived in that mood for too long. And the mood and the feelings themselves have shaped my life. It's moved me further away from the hip and the pop, from the new and the raw. Makes my obessions over sound and collections of recordings shrink in importance. Having the right people in your life is far more nourishing and important than a treated room or the perfect reproduction of high res material or the hottest act in the performance venues. These songs have communicated this to me via Bob. . . and this album invokes that melancholy and nostalgia and climb to hope for the new.

And it's also comfortable for me to listen to this NOW as I've been able to release myself from the control of the mood and I've found the next phase of my life through the blessed intervention of Lucy and our love together. I can let Bob inform me of the feelings and mood and relate to them and not have to turn around and inhabit them again right now. THAT is also an appeal to this recording, being touched and moved. . . and able to walk away.

So really this is an album that has fascinated me in a way that many others the last few years haven't. And I bet it has staying power in my library.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7163 - 03/02/15 at 13:35:38

This SACD is simply stunning in the material, the performance and the sound.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7164 - 03/02/15 at 15:49:45

I'm starting the music a little early today...out in the den.  I'm trying out some mid 60's White Print USA Amperex PQ 6922s that arrived Saturday.  

I haven't been in the Listening Cave since the long session Saturday but plan on a session tonight with a few changes.  I received some herbies products that I'll put in place...iso-cups and balls under the Torii, four larger softballs in a different kind of cup...not sure what it's called...larger metal cup with a rubber bottom...these will be under the TT and finally I'll move the soft tenderfeet currently under the Torii to the CSP3.  Oh, and I'll put 15 ohm resistors in the HR-1s but they may not stay there long.  

First CD...

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7165 - 03/02/15 at 16:22:31

Some of my weekend LP spins...

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7166 - 03/02/15 at 17:55:10

I love this cover...

I'm not sure I could tell that I had the 7308s or the 6922 in the Monos, if I didn't already know...very similar...very good. Which is odd because recently I had a pair of Orange Globe USA 1968 Amperex 6922s that I didn't like...maybe they weren't broken in. Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7167 - 03/02/15 at 18:28:19

I`ve learned 3 so far Dylan songs on guitar Lon, maybe more, oh yes the Byrds Tambourine Man, Down in The Easy Chair ? and My Back Pages. You come to love the lyrics. I`ve just learned the finger picker Dont Think Twice and found it so easy to slip into a key of C without trying. Lay Lady Lay in Am is easier if I try to impersonate Dylans voice. The lyrics are too much. Just pure blues.

I`ve requested to send the album back because of audible surface noise, not good, during each track but quiet in between. Do I hope they haven`t got any left ? lol thats a tough one. Mystery to me.
Syd

I can do Lily Rosemary etc but forget the story after 4 or 5 verses  :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7168 - 03/02/15 at 18:44:16

Next, another from Woody Shaw...

Lon,  since my Herbies Products arrived I've been reading about "Isolation"...currently a thread on Steve Hoffman's forum where you posted.  I am intrigued by a poster named Barry that advocates an equilateral triangle of isolation devices made from small blocks of wood with drawer pulls and 1/2" steel ball bearings...under everything.  What did you think?  Sounds cheap and I don't know enough to fault his reasoning. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7169 - 03/02/15 at 18:48:52

Well, Syd, you're likely a better guitar player than I! And my singing has been forbidden in two states now. Wink

I've seen elsewhere pressing problems with that lp. Sucks! I just have the cd.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7170 - 03/02/15 at 18:55:31

Syd, if you don't like the Dylan LP just ask for your money back or a credit for something else.  No need to get something you know will go unplayed.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7171 - 03/02/15 at 18:56:59

Mark, that system works well enough. I found better isolation results (especially after I added a Mapleshade Samson rack to the mix) with Herbie's Products among others and to be honest I learned to hate looking at the homemade isolation and at that time hearing my wife's complaints about the look of the homemade isolation! But it's fun to put together and experiment with, and the other options are expensive!

How did you miss this thread by palamino discussing his successful odyssey with this method?

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1423870876

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7172 - 03/02/15 at 19:04:43

I read some, probably not all, of that thread.  I see that the link in the first post is for the "Barry" I spoke of.  Now that I'm more interested, I may go back and read the thread more carefully. I'd consider trying the ball bearings with the Torii but not anything else...too dangerous...hehe. The Torii sits on a small table where I wouldn't be likely to bump it.  I won't be trying inner tubes either.  First I'll see how I like the new Herbies. But I'll keep reading...it's free! Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7173 - 03/02/15 at 20:07:49

New Order  sub title "Roses"

Hey who`s Marky ?   Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7174 - 03/02/15 at 20:56:56

Syd,  you changed your handle!

This next...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7175 - 03/02/15 at 22:55:41

Yes mark. It go too wierd lol
Marky signing himself Syd

I dont play this much, managed to get side one in this evening.
Theres a quote from Chopin inside the gatefold
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two...."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7176 - 03/02/15 at 23:30:44

I like that one and the second one is even better, played it last week. Need to open up my Bream box again and take some out.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7177 - 03/03/15 at 00:11:16

OK,  I've moved to the Cave, all the Herbies are in place but my back is acting up so I decided not to knell down to change out the resistors on the HR-1s...maybe that would be too many changes anyway.

A half dozen LPs from an ebay seller arrived today...this live Art Pepper session is the first.  I owned the first three of four volumes of these LPs, this is the fourth.  Also for fanatics like me there is a nine CD set with everything from the live dates that was recorded.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7178 - 03/03/15 at 00:54:57

Next LP...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7179 - 03/03/15 at 12:57:17

IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #7180 - 03/03/15 at 14:01:22

Sly & Robbie's "Dubrising", which came out last December, is the best dub album in ages, pressed on a double 45RPM

Exquisite mix and sound

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7181 - 03/03/15 at 14:03:24

Lon,  I tried the Herbies last night and I'm not sure I like the new sound.  I think what I'm hearing is mainly the result of replacing Tenderfeet for isocups with supersonic hard balls under the Torii MK IV.  What I am hearing I would describe as clearer or what many here seem to describe as "Tighter" bass and low mid range frequencies or more "Micro detail" but for me the effect is less warmth, less low end impact/density and as a result, more high end energy comes through...more treble.  Which is exactly what I have been fighting to reduce recently.  I'm a little perplexed.  I'll remove the isocups from the Torii tonight without other changes to see if I'm correct in thinking the isocup, super sonic hardball combo are responsible for the dramatic change.  Any input from others who have used these Herbies would helpful.  I think I'll copy this post to a new thread.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7182 - 03/03/15 at 14:09:20

Mark, you should be hearing more clarity and that can indeed lead to more treble energy with a number of tube choices.

The darned perplexity of these components is how much they show us of everything so remove one layer. . . there's more onion beneath. In my system, with my racks and platforms, the Tenderfeet definitely introduce a warm veil, a sort of shear. I tired of it as it was not showing me everything so that I can deal with everything. . . . And then I have to tune with the more that the Iso-Cups show.

One thing I did was I bought Deep Moss gemstones from Herbie's Audio Lab, I've never used the Super Hard Balls, so I don't know what they are like, I've used about six different types of Herbie's balls and the Deep Moss place a subtle emphasis on the lower frequencies, it's not exactly warmth, but it's a help towards a better balance. . . . I'm using the Deep Moss everywhere I have an Iso-Cup. I could mail you some Lampblack and Acrylic balls if you'd like to try those out. Also: move them around. If you get the Iso-Cups as close to the corners as possible I find that picks up the most lower frequencies.  . . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7183 - 03/03/15 at 14:29:15

Lon, Clarity is another word many have used. By the following statement do you mean it leaves more low end intact...so more warmth..."If you get the Iso-Cups as close to the corners as possible I find that picks up the most lower frequencies.  . . ."  Also you feel the Deep Moss Gemstones have the least effect on the lower frequencies and as a result less high frequency emphasis.  Am I correct?  I'm not sure I want to go down this rabbit hole.  I will say the effect was not subtle...I'd call it dramatic.Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7184 - 03/03/15 at 14:37:03

Mark, here is the page on the site for the Gemstones; I think his descriptions are accurate. The Jasper may also work well, I may have some of those in my toolbox too, I'll check this afternoon if you're interested in trying some.

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/isoball.htm

There were several other types, he's running out of these over the years.

I can see that this can be daunting. . . . It does change the sound and very noticeably and it will spark the urge to make adjustments if it reveals a signature you're not enjoying. In my case I think it revealed to me that the Decware interconnects were not the best fit for my system.
So you may wish to go back to Tenderfeet and avoid further changes. . . . . Though those further changes will bring you benefits in dynamics and soundstage I think.

What I mean about the location of the balls is. . . having them at the farthest corners seems to bring out the most low frequency sound, full and deep.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7185 - 03/03/15 at 15:02:39

IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #7186 - 03/03/15 at 16:45:07

I've been listening to alot of Eric Reed.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7187 - 03/03/15 at 16:48:59

That's a really good one. I first encountered Reed with Wynton Marsalis and like him a lot.

Right now

The immortal Fats Waller.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7188 - 03/03/15 at 17:32:50

the new Steven Wilson LP  hand.cannot.erase

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7189 - 03/03/15 at 19:43:20

First music today...CD #6 of this set, played on the Monos with the Souls...

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7190 - 03/03/15 at 21:09:51

LP was my other listen last night...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7191 - 03/04/15 at 01:25:40

I've been in the Cave for a while and played Stevie Wonder's "Innervisions" side two...no lack of Bass there.  Then next, another LP from an ebay seller that came yesterday...this one has Ron Carter on Bass...there's lots here too.  It was recorded in 1974.  I'm thinking what I may be experiencing is more upper mids and highs and the bass is about the same.  I don't know, I think I just need to listen more.  I'll put the 15 ohm resistor in the HR-1s tomorrow without further changes. I have to go back and read all that has been written...thanks everyone.  I think I'll try some absorption if I can find a couple tall sticks, maybe 2 by 4s to drape some comforters over, propped against the back wall...should give me a good idea of what something permanent would do.  I like the idea of something on a stand or leaned against my back wall.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7192 - 03/04/15 at 01:35:35

Next...LP#1 of 2

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7193 - 03/04/15 at 02:21:21

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7194 - 03/04/15 at 02:46:25

Next LP.  My battery will be dead soon so I'll see you tomorrow.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7195 - 03/04/15 at 03:29:37

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7196 - 03/04/15 at 17:35:06

Last nites LP's

Really digging this LP....

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7197 - 03/04/15 at 18:45:50

Acetone - how is that new Steve Wilson album? I haven't had a chance t listen to it yet - I have the 24/192 downloading. I hope to give it a spin when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7198 - 03/04/15 at 19:09:39

I like it . . .I was somewhat disappointed with the releases after Insurgentes til this one, this one is meatier, less plagued by what Steven seems to think is "jazz." (I have the Blu-ray).

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7199 - 03/04/15 at 19:42:47

That's good to hear, Lon. And I think I agree with you on his more current albums.

Pages: 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 ... 512
Send Topic Print