Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1817451 times)
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7200 - 03/04/15 at 19:44:26

I've been listening to this in the car.
It has Footstompin' Music but I don't like that song very much. It is the one on the CD that gets airplay.  I believe Mark Farner played an SG on this one which is probably why his guitar has a thicker sound.  Also, the distorted bass is unreal.  I don't think I have heard another album which actual distortion coming from a bass like this.
This is the remastered/reissue version with added live cuts from their Shea Stadium show.  I think Grand Funk still holds the record for selling out Shea Stadium the fastest; faster than The Beatles.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7201 - 03/04/15 at 20:31:32

A few other observations about Hand.Cannot.Erase.

It's probably inevitable, because of the extensive work Wilson has done with the Tull and Yes remixes, but there seems Tull and Yes influences/hommages here even more than in the last one.

And. . . I wish he would explore a whole 'nother path with lyrics. I'm so tired of his Debbie Downer shtick.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Matchstikman
Seasoned Member

Reply #7202 - 03/04/15 at 20:39:54

Animals As Leaders.
Anybody listen to these guys?
Lots of technical skill which is to be admired.
Lacks musical content, I feel.
Goes great with lots and lots of wine, ha!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7203 - 03/04/15 at 20:40:50

Yes,  I also hear influences from Genesis to Gentle Giant etc. Album is very clean sounding..polished. I've had two serious sit down listens. There's a lot of arrangement complexity to chew on. If you like PT and Wilson you'll like this LP. At the moment 'Raven who refused to sing' is still my fave.

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7204 - 03/04/15 at 20:56:53

:) That's the one I like the least. But I don't really like Grace for Drowning much either. I like this one more. . . still not something I'll play as often as Insurgentes. I fear he'll not top that one for my tastes.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7205 - 03/04/15 at 21:00:10

When I bought  'Fear of a blank planet' 2x LP it included the insurgentes tracks on it...nice bonus.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7206 - 03/04/15 at 21:02:50

Cool!

I like the live material he's put out with Grace and newer stuff on it, like that material better live. He's an odd duck.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7207 - 03/04/15 at 21:11:42

Odd yes! Seems most creative people are somewhat odd. I agree the Live shows are stellar. Saw him a few years back with the Incident tour. gonna see the hand.cannot.erase show in June.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7208 - 03/04/15 at 21:16:39

Lon,  Correction..the blank planet LP has 4 trks from Nil Recurring....not Insurgentes. My 60 year old mind has too many holes in it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7209 - 03/04/15 at 21:21:02

Ah, that makes more sense that it was those sides.

I'm half a year away from a 60 year old brain. . . oh what to look forward to. Wink

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7210 - 03/04/15 at 21:26:38

Right now
Anything is possible. . . .
With the Power of Soul

Years ago I didn't much care for this one but I like it now. Idris is one bad mofo of a drummer, I love him on so many records. One drummer I know told me once "All these people think Cobham was the best drummer for fusion, they must not have heard Idris Muhammad!"

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #7211 - 03/04/15 at 21:34:57

Big fan of Insugentes and prior Porcupine stuff.  The Raven That Refused To Sing not so much, I do spin it some times, but (for me at least) Insurgentes is far superior and at his "trippy" best ... I just like the timing and pace of that album.  Can't wait to hear the new one though.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7212 - 03/04/15 at 23:51:23

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7213 - 03/05/15 at 00:15:18

My turn for this one. Lon I agree with you 100%. I'm tired of the downer stuff, but that's his thing I guess. I immediately thought "YES" as soon as this album started playing, though a little less dynamic. It's a good album for sure. I'm about half way through it now. I think it's a must have for well recorded prog-rock with that little folky influence.

24/96 sounds good. I may have to pony up for the Blu-Ray.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7214 - 03/05/15 at 00:19:49

It's 24/96 on the Blu-ray too, the 2 channel is and I think the other two surround modes (96/24 5.1 LPCM & DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1---I guess theoretically the DTS may be 192, but I would be surprised).

It's a good one, a promising return to form.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7215 - 03/05/15 at 01:55:07

Well, this sucks. I set up everything with the Taboo and my Souls to listen to the "Cancer Blows" concert tonight at the Myerson Hall that's streaming live but it was buffering too much.  I signed off and now the link won't even load.  

I'll keep trying but for now I'm listening to spotify through my Taboo and Souls...Donald Fagan's "Morph The Cat"...sounds damn good for just a laptop hook up.  Mark.

PS...It's up again but still the buffering.  It's with the Dallas Symphony Orchestra with Jeff Tyzik conducting. The first tune had Arturo and Doc together. It was sold out when I checked but the weather is bad here in Dallas...freezing rain...so I'm sure there are plenty of empty seats.  Maybe they'll have a rebroadcast later.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7216 - 03/05/15 at 02:13:52

Listening to this one again (and again and again). I keep coming back to this album, and with the DirectStream Pikes Peak OS, and my Blue Zu finally starting to break in, WOW, this is the best I've ever heard this album! And that's honestly probably the 3rd time I've said that since getting the DS; it just keeps evolving.

Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #7217 - 03/05/15 at 06:00:25

Scientist = Jah Life In Dub

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7218 - 03/05/15 at 13:42:52

Last night, even though it was choppy with lots of buffering, I watched the "Cancer Blows" benefit held at the Myerson Symphony Hall...it was three hours long. The list of participating Trumpeters was incredible. I'm sure all participants that planned on getting out of town this morning...won't. I went out to get the paper...not there...and to get something I'd left in the trunk of my car but it has a thick layer of ice covered with 5...6 inches of snow...no luck.  The ground has 6 or 7 inches of fluffy snow cover...I'm reminded of when I lived in Western New York.  Luckily I don't have to work until tomorrow morning but there will be a refreeze tonight.  All schools are closed and many other things.  The last few weeks have been unusual weather for Dallas.

But I digress,  I hope the "Cancer Blows" Concert is rebroadcast somewhere...if it is, I'll post it here.  The first half was with the DSO the second half with the One O'clock Lab Band from UNT.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7219 - 03/05/15 at 14:14:50

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7220 - 03/05/15 at 15:04:35

Weird tie-in story to "Hand.Cannot.Erase."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joyce_Vincent

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7221 - 03/05/15 at 15:38:58

BIG sound on this BIS SACD. (I have all 9 Symphonies in the series in a box set).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7222 - 03/05/15 at 18:50:48

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7223 - 03/06/15 at 00:16:35

In the Cave.  I'll be playing familiar LPs tonight to figure out what's going on with the 15 ohm resistor in the HR-1s.  This will be the last time with them because they are a little too much attenuation.  The current Miles' LP sounds best with the treble control up all the way...and it's usually a relatively hot recording.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7224 - 03/06/15 at 00:36:06

This Music Matters 45 RPM reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7225 - 03/06/15 at 01:05:06

Next LP...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7226 - 03/06/15 at 01:06:41

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7227 - 03/06/15 at 01:39:24

Next LP...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7228 - 03/06/15 at 02:13:21

Reminds me a bit of modern day "There's a Riot Goin' On"...analog recording…crank it up...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7229 - 03/06/15 at 02:17:36

Battery is almost dead.  See you tomorrow.  Next LP...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7230 - 03/06/15 at 03:47:15

Jeff Beck: Live in Tokyo

nough' said

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7231 - 03/06/15 at 16:42:49

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7232 - 03/06/15 at 16:44:40

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7233 - 03/06/15 at 16:54:13

Feeling a little Petty this afternoon, "Wildflowers" now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7234 - 03/06/15 at 18:06:09

Cool playing. Crappy sound. The only known recording, and perhaps even performance, of "Who Can I Turn To?" by Miles.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7235 - 03/06/15 at 18:27:08

Where was Ron Carter?  Maybe he was sick?  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7236 - 03/06/15 at 18:40:54

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7237 - 03/06/15 at 18:58:11

He was out of the band for a while in '66. Richard Davis was his replacement.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7238 - 03/06/15 at 19:01:28

Next...an album with Charlie Rouse in the group "Sphere"...Tasty...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7239 - 03/06/15 at 19:54:08

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7240 - 03/06/15 at 20:03:33

One day I`ll be able to put on a jazz album and know whats on it.
With no lyrics....

The homeworks rewarding though.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7241 - 03/06/15 at 20:50:50

Syd,  I think that album may have been the first with the first "Great" Miles Davis Quintet with Coltrane.  About 5 or 6 months later they would enter the studio for a marathon session to complete music owned to Prestige to finish out Miles' contract so he could move on to Columbia Records.... resulting in the LPs  Steamin', Relaxin', Workin' and Cookin'.

I was going to listen to that LP on spotify then I saw this one and had to play it.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7242 - 03/06/15 at 21:05:40

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7243 - 03/06/15 at 22:57:47

Thanks Mark, I`ve just placed an order for the Cookin` Relaxin` 2fer Miles Davis-Miles Davis. nm £11 inc post. RVG rem.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7244 - 03/06/15 at 23:31:20

Syd, you'll love those.  I bet before long you'll have the other two. All the output of this quintet is worth owning.  The Columbia albums always get the press but these Prestige sides are wonderful. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7245 - 03/06/15 at 23:45:14

Word Mark, Miles on Prestige is the bomb. Most of the sessions before the Quintet too.

Right now

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7246 - 03/07/15 at 00:25:35

Man I love this album - just female voice and cello. And decently recorded. Worthy of demo material.

http://youtu.be/TWTel-Puy3w

Luis

Reply #7247 - 03/07/15 at 09:53:48

Ben Webster“s "At The Renaissance"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7248 - 03/07/15 at 13:23:44

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7249 - 03/07/15 at 13:56:03

I've got about an hour before a seminar begins.  Hooking up the Taboo and Souls to my computer has been a revelation.  Listening to a concert by the Avi Cohen Trio...very nice while I sip the Java...

Avishai Cohen - LIVE @ Cully Jazz (Suisse/Switzerland) - (Full Length Concert) - 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhz_0yTavE

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 145 146 147 ... 512
Send Topic Print