Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1818233 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7300 - 03/13/15 at 12:22:17

Archie and Syd,

I've been looking for a mint copy of "Animals" for years on vinyl...someday I'll find it. I enjoyed Endless River but have only listened to it twice. I know I'm in the minority of PF fans but I also love the Final Cut. Gunner's Dream is one of my favorite songs of all time.

JD

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7301 - 03/13/15 at 16:57:44

JD, Love the Final Cut!  I find there are two PFs.  Sort of the Waters PF and the Gilmor/Wright PF.  Waters got wordy and introspective in TW and FC and post Waters I feel that PF got their original sound back.  I was amazed to hear how important Wright was to the PF sound.  He was not on FC.  I had dismissed PF once Waters left and I am only recently rediscovering them having collected MLOR, DSOT, PULSE, DB and ER.  IMO there is no bad PF!

Give ER about 5 to 10 more listens and then tell me what you think.  It took a while to sink in with me.  As did FC and DB.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #7302 - 03/13/15 at 17:29:43

I miss Steve Barrow's "Blood & Fire" label. He was THE example to follow for the rest of us small independent Reggae labels.

I am listening to the absolutely moving, wonderful Junior Ross & The Spears "Babylon Fall" album, which came out on this double CD

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7303 - 03/13/15 at 17:54:33

I liked FC a lot. I wont get ER as they are 12min sides. Could have just made a single album. I have  MLOR on cassette and the beginning with the row boat is cool. Got the live double.
I really missed Waters on the albums, his presence was allways felt as the `boss` like an invisible force allways there and in control and calling the shots. If you listen carefully he is very good at putting in some `floydy` touches on bass.
Floyd became a vehicle for Gilmours guitar and I reckon thats where the rift started, he wanted to overule Waters.....but then Waters was getting too much up his own arse with the lyrics so I guess there was the inevitable tempramental artiste syndrome waiting to happen.
Waters made some v/g albums on his own.
Gilmours albums try to use floydy lyrics, he`s not floyd.
Masons album is garbage.
Rick Wrights album is enjoyable.
I love A Nice Pair, Saucerful, Piper. Ummagummas cool if youre in a receptive mood  :) and the live half of the double is good.
I`ve got the Barrett albums, the one with the backing musicians is really something. +++

ps Masons book `Inside Out` is a great read. Written before Wrights death and yes Archie he enters the floyd tracks almost invisibly.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7304 - 03/13/15 at 18:08:32

I was disappointed in how short ER is but I find that the sides tend to hang together thematically.  My gripe is having to flip so soon.  If I didn't have everything else on vinyl I'd go with a cd for ER.  ER came mostly out of DB and I kind of listen to them together.  PF is something that should never have been split into pieces.  I'd prefer to listen to the coherent whole but that choice was beyond my control.  

I guess it's inevitable that things don't last when so many hyper creative forces collide!

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7305 - 03/13/15 at 22:38:27

Yes it`s sad. Gilmours all grown up and the Floyd roots are a thing of the past.
Waters is probably still touring the Wall after 33yrs.
Still, the albums are the legacy. I saw them 8 times.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7306 - 03/13/15 at 22:49:23

One day maybe I'll enjoy Floyd again. Floyd was played way too much in the late 'seventies and early 'eighties period when I was exploring jazz and really bored with pop and rock, and Roger Waters' angry and down concepts and words were really the straw that broke the back at that time. I just never have wanted to revisit the material, when I hear one of the albums played I shy away. I'm a fan of Gilmour's playing but that alone is not enough for me. We're all different. I went from progressive rock into African American music and I have stayed there more often (jazz, blues, r&B etc.) I'll take an Ohio Players album over any Floyd, that was the kind of music I wished I could hear played at parties but alas it was more often Floyd.

Right now.  . . not my favorite Karrin Allyson session but a nice listen.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7307 - 03/13/15 at 23:10:23

Still, I was surprised how much I have come to like Endless River.  Maybe a top 5 PF album for me.  Although I hear threads of old Floyd, it seems more like a pallet cleanser at this point.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7308 - 03/13/15 at 23:24:14

Having really enjoyed Walter Klien playing Mozart's piano pieces, I bought a very cheap set of his Brahms piano pieces. I like his playing and this is good music.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7309 - 03/13/15 at 23:32:17

I dont play them much now Lon. Back in those days every Floyd album was cutting edge with the latest gear and the gigs were like going to the theatre. They spared no expense.
I`m listening to Deads `72 Oregon set (side one) and it`s awsome in it`s quality. K. Crimson have launched some huge box sets of live material, each one containing just one albums tours. I cant believe Floyd dont have similar tapes gathering dust. Give the fans what they want...warts and all.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7310 - 03/13/15 at 23:40:28

Yes, I know, the lps sounded good, and I saw the Animals tour, an event. Still not my cup of tea though really, and the film of The Wall sealed the tomb for me, just awful images and misogynistic ideas. I never approached them with relish after that.

I have the King Crimson box sets and have been puttering my way through them. Another band that I'm not crazy about after a certain point but those are amazing documents of tours and albums!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #7311 - 03/13/15 at 23:48:54

Okay, so much for mining the old stuff.  What's new that's exciting?  I really enjoy Yann Tiersen.  Especially Dust Lane.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7312 - 03/13/15 at 23:59:36

I found Bob Dylan's, Andy Bey's, Lucinda Williams' and Mondy Michiru's latest to be exciting. The T-Bone Burnett project "Lost on the River" and his production of Rhiannon Giddens' new one are exciting. Like Chrissie Hynde's "Stockholm" and Steven Wilson's "Hand.Cannot.Erase" as well as Opeth's last one. And I'm really looking forward to Cassandra Wilson and Eliane Elias new releases in the next weeks.

And I'll confess to liking Charli XCX "Sucker."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7313 - 03/14/15 at 02:16:10

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7314 - 03/14/15 at 16:42:16

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7315 - 03/14/15 at 17:25:44

In the den with the Combo of Taboo MK III, Zu Souls and spotify trying to decide on some music for a buy from elusive disc.  First listening to this one that I might buy on MFSL Vinyl.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7316 - 03/14/15 at 18:12:38

Next this wonderful LP with 5 of 6 cuts from a 1979 session with Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins and George Cables.  The sixth is from another session with Hank Jones, Ron Carter and Al Foster.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7317 - 03/14/15 at 19:17:11

Now this LP.  All cuts are from a session with Hank Jones, Ron Carter and Al Foster in 1979.  I'm contemplating picking up a few more Art Pepper LPs.  I actually have an original of this but will pick up an audiophile reissue.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7318 - 03/14/15 at 20:04:53

G. Deads `Dark Star` is sounding very intimate right now. From the Sunshine Daydream 4x lp
Ordered a couple Sonny Rollins Blue Note reissues today including the to be released Vol 1

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7319 - 03/14/15 at 20:22:18

Syd,  I love the live Dead especially when Garcia would get into his trippy jammin' mode.  I haven't listened to the Dead in a while...have lots of the live stuff on CD...several on vinyl.

But right now I'm in an Art Pepper marathon.  Soon I'll be pulling the trigger on 6 45 RPM reissues.  Funny, because today started trying to pick some vinyl from elusive disc...these are not.  Can't even remember how I stumbled on this seller.  

This one now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7320 - 03/14/15 at 21:20:20

Next in the Pepper Marathon...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7321 - 03/14/15 at 22:11:07

OK,  a break from Art.  Another favorite for a while...may pick up some vinyl versions but the ORG versions are $60...I don't know.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7322 - 03/14/15 at 22:46:15

Some Trane...this one has never been a favorite although I have the CD. And it's probably in the Quartet Box...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7323 - 03/14/15 at 23:59:02

Now...Van the Man...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7324 - 03/15/15 at 01:01:48

Next...

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #7325 - 03/15/15 at 01:06:36

VINYL NIGHT!

Starting with Joe Jackson - Body and Soul

What a great recording plus the Music...... .

Room Treats-M.Green & mine
Sony TPort
Illuminati D60
Shunyata Z-Alpha DigPcord
Decware ZDSD DAC
Kimber Select KS1030
XLOProPcord
Decware ZMA/25th Mods
Kimber Select KS6063
Acoustic Zen Adagio/Modified
Kimber PK10 Palladian from wall
to PS Audio P3
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7326 - 03/15/15 at 01:33:13

Next...another try for this one...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7327 - 03/15/15 at 02:01:16

Next, a MFSL reissue of this LP that arrived today...

PS...I moved into the Listening Cave for some vinyl.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7328 - 03/15/15 at 02:59:13

Another arrival today.  A Music Matters 33 RPM reissue released in January...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7329 - 03/15/15 at 03:43:02

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7330 - 03/15/15 at 12:05:14

first album of the day...a bit of Sweet James...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7331 - 03/15/15 at 12:50:35

Next...Charlie Rouse and Kenny Barron...nuff said...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7332 - 03/15/15 at 13:47:33

Next...

IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #7333 - 03/15/15 at 18:28:10

Just finished mixing this cover of Gregory Isaacs' "megahit "Rumours" by Bunny Rugs. Couple of tweaks and we'll be done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zol2eZuN-o

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7334 - 03/15/15 at 22:12:48

Sonny Stitt "Sits In The Oscar Peterson Trio"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7335 - 03/16/15 at 10:31:41

first music today...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7336 - 03/16/15 at 12:30:55

More Parlan...with Booker Ervin and Grant Green...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7337 - 03/16/15 at 13:32:09

Next...again with a serving of Grant Green on the side...tasty

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7338 - 03/16/15 at 14:08:44

Just picked this up on ebay and I've been refining other retail buys...right now they are far too large.  The hard part is always narrowing down the list.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7339 - 03/16/15 at 16:24:17

I cant find Sphere listed on discogs Mark.
Played 2 sides of Floyds double live DSOT and it all souded a bit lumbering though the sound was impressive with the big panning drums.
JD`s search for a new Animals had me looking as well as I`ve heard it on a system many years ago ( a Quad 33/303 ) where Gilmours guitar took on a sinister, powerful growl on dogs, and with new power tubes in place I wanted to see what it now sounded like.
There are 2 new on e-bay. Coloured vinyl, Sony, made in the Philipines. Discogs say they are unnoficial. mmm

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7340 - 03/16/15 at 16:49:02

Syd wrote on 03/16/15 at 16:24:17:
I cant find Sphere listed on discogs Mark.

http://www.discogs.com/Sphere-Four-In-One/release/3214599

:D

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7341 - 03/16/15 at 16:50:22

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7342 - 03/16/15 at 18:42:21

Syd,  I see Lon gave you the discogs link. This LP has a bit of a back story.  Charlie Rouse, Thelonious Monk's Sax player for over a decade, and Ben Riley, once a drummer for Monk, were joined by Buster Williams and Kenny Baron in the studio on the day Thelonious Monk died, February 17, 1982.  This album came from that session...all the tunes are Monk compositions. This group would play and record together until 1988 when Charlie Rouse died.  They reformed with Gary Bartz in the Sax spot in 1998. I also have their other Electra Musician release from 1983..."Flight Path".  There's not enough of Charlie Rouse out there...aside from his work with Monk.  Mark.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7343 - 03/16/15 at 19:29:36

Syd,

The one for sale in New Jersey sounds promising although for 40 I'd want to know it's original/mint  and an official release.

Let me know if you ever find one or how it sounds if you purchase.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7344 - 03/16/15 at 20:40:49

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7345 - 03/16/15 at 21:25:40

Been playing this one often lately. I have come to a new appreciation of this session. Duke Pearson really anchors it well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7346 - 03/17/15 at 01:32:51

Lon,  I've been thinking about picking up a reissue LP of that Donald Byrd Blue Note.  I haven't heard it in over a decade and can't find my CD but I'll listen via spotify before pulling the trigger.  I have to see how his playing a pocket trumpet on this album grabs me.

I'm in the Cave for a couple hours.  A batch of ebay LPs arrived today.  This 1981 Japanese reissue of a 1956 recording is first.  Nice and mellow...can Getz be anything but mellow?  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7347 - 03/17/15 at 01:54:54

This one is why I made a purchase from the ebay seller.  It's a session recorded in 1957 and released by Blue Note in 1981 after Art's comeback and Autobiography.  The music is wonderful but  the recording of the drums is not good.  I think I've got this on CD but I don't remember the drums being a problem.  If you're not a Pepper fanatic, pass on this one.  Mark.

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7348 - 03/17/15 at 01:55:42

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7349 - 03/17/15 at 02:13:17

Next will be this British Manufactured Columbia/Clef release from 1957...the US version was on Verve...not sure how this happens.  Syd, what's the deal with the paper thin LP jackets from the UK?  The Carmen Mcrae LP is the same.  I'll add a bit after a listen.  Mark.

PS...the music's nice but there's more surface noise than I like.  But this vinyl is older than me...so for $8.50, I don't think I could expect better.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 145 146 147 148 149 ... 512
Send Topic Print