Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1819552 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7550 - 04/03/15 at 22:34:01

Next CD...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7551 - 04/03/15 at 22:56:32

I confess I don't own any Doors material. I never got into them. I preferred the Dead to the Doors for acid bands. I keep thinking one day I'll love the Doors. . . has never happened whenever I tried them.

Right now, this lovely cd.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7552 - 04/03/15 at 23:37:37

Lon, I bought this box set in 2003 and I think this might be the first time I've listened to most of these albums.  I like them but not enough to get them on vinyl. I'm already buying so many reissues that I'm having trouble remembering what I have. I have a "Best of" on vinyl and if I see some originals in good condition for less than $15, I may pick them up.  This one now...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7553 - 04/04/15 at 00:11:14

Yeah, if you have the box set, I'd say you're good.

Right now, more Reiner and the CSO. Love the sound on this set. Before this was "Pictures at an Exhibition"--sounded awesome.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7554 - 04/04/15 at 00:51:55

This will be the end for now.  I have to watch my favorite movie on TCM..."The Wizard Of Oz"...Oh Yeah!  Did I mention the Flying Monkeys...you gotta love it.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7555 - 04/04/15 at 01:36:50

A bootleg with Janis joining the Dead on stage. Pigpen and Janis were an item at the time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7556 - 04/04/15 at 01:50:03

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7557 - 04/04/15 at 02:37:03

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7558 - 04/04/15 at 13:12:27

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7559 - 04/04/15 at 13:36:44

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7560 - 04/04/15 at 14:19:45

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7561 - 04/04/15 at 15:25:55

Interesting quote from one of the composers on this cd, the American composer Alan Hovhaness, who said in an interview in '71:

"We are in a very dangerous period. We are in danger of destroying ourselves, and I have a great fear about this ... The older generation is ruling ruthlessly. I feel that this is a terrible threat to our civilization. It's the greed of huge companies and huge organizations which control life in a kind of a brutal way ... It's gotten worse and worse, somehow, because physical science has given us more and more terrible deadly weapons, and the human spirit has been destroyed in so many cases, so what's the use of having the most powerful country in the world if we have killed the soul. It's of no use".

I've been feeling this way ever since the Reagan years, and ever since I read the book "The Roots of War" by Richard Barnett. Things have gotten better in my personal life, but that's how this works--the lives of some get better so we care less about the problems of others.

Sorry, just what's on my mind today.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7562 - 04/04/15 at 17:03:04

This is what I've listened to the past few hours...I played the Chet Baker twice...also I switched to my Omega Alinco Super 7XRS speakers...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7563 - 04/04/15 at 17:32:51

Yes I did. And I would do so again.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7564 - 04/04/15 at 17:43:56

This one now.  I couldn't remember what CD I left off with so I started from the end...CD #8. Just wonderful.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7565 - 04/04/15 at 18:20:34

The joys of television and newspapers.
How the social programmers will sell driverless cars is going to be something special.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7566 - 04/04/15 at 18:20:42

No, I helped avoid the mistake of more years of Cheney and who knows what McCain woudl have done. That's progress. But this is not the place to discuss this, and it seems discussion wouldn't accomplish much.

Right now, probably the last cd before I head off to Lucy's.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7567 - 04/04/15 at 18:31:08

Lon,  that is my favorite Dinah Washington album.  I have it on CD but can't remember where it is.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7568 - 04/04/15 at 18:51:23

This one next...this 2 CD set does something I hate.  It groups all takes of each song together so you get anywhere from 2 to 4 takes in a row.  I prefer the original album in the original order then the alternates or additional tracks afterwards....but who asked me?  The Music though...is marvelous.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7569 - 04/04/15 at 18:55:30

I guess I have a different set of glasses than you because I'd rather see here now what I do than what Bush's imperialist agenda and his lies have done and would have done if given more time. Enough years of greed and war-mongering and cheating the people.  I spent 28 years in Texas state government. I saw him mess that up and go on to furhter sully the country.

I'm not going to discuss this now but I bet our viewpoints couldn't be further apart and that's fine. I know my politics are not shared by many here and I don't care. That's all I'll say about it. Have a nice weekend, I'll probably be off line most of the time having fun with Lucy.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7570 - 04/04/15 at 19:07:26

We`ve got our own election in a month Mark and it`s all about which minority party pulls the strings as it`ll be a hung parliament. They join with the `nearly got a majority` party to form a government. Or join with he next biggest to form a  govmnt. Number crunching frenzy.Bonkers.
I cant believe our media pays so much attention to your elections. It`s incomprehensible your system. Why cant you just have a vote for a candidate in each ward ?
We thought the hanging chads was amazing. Chad translates as arse over here. All reported as very fishy. " Bush called in the big boys to win that one, no ?

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7571 - 04/04/15 at 20:06:44

Yes you`re more diverse than us Mark. The razzamatazz that goes with elections is something to behold, but not to criticise. It`s history and bringing like minded people together I guess. Party on.
My stay in the States was awesome. At the time of the Superbowl 2000, or a week before, we had snow in San Fran while there was a heat wave in Texas.

Playing some mellow sounds for no reason.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7572 - 04/04/15 at 20:22:28

Next...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7573 - 04/04/15 at 20:42:34

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7574 - 04/04/15 at 21:15:29

Townes Van Zandt "Live at the Quarter"
Jackson Browne's new one
JJ Cale Collected

Man I love me some JJ Cale, I saw Lon had it on earlier and jumped in...good listening.

I've replaced an early 50's 5u4g with an early 60's telefunken gz34 in my csp2+. Took a couple of weeks to settle but very pleased.  Took my telefunken cca out and replaced with seimens 7308 so now have all 7308's in my csp2+. I feel that teaming the surgical Telefunken's with open and airy 7308's is a delicious combo.

JD

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7575 - 04/04/15 at 22:54:30

Following Syd's lead...my most recent Bill Evans purchase, a two CD live set from 1968.  Mark.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7576 - 04/04/15 at 23:16:08

Though I'm a huge fan, James Mcmurtry's new album isn't grabbing me for some reason. Too depressing maybe?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7577 - 04/05/15 at 13:56:53

I wanted to try something before I watched "Sunday Morning" on CBS.  I Hooked up the Taboo to my Lap Top and put on my Audeze LCD 2.2s.  Listening to Steely Dan on spotify is much better than I would have expected...very nice.  I hadn't listened with headphones for 6 months or more.  Later, I may hook up the Jolida 100 CD player and compare it with spotify on the same album.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7578 - 04/05/15 at 16:47:42

In the Cave for a while.  I didn't manage to get any time on the Russian Tubes yesterday...I'll make up for it today with a little less than 5 hours.

This LP first.  These recordings from April 1982 with George Cables plus some more duo recordings in May 1982, would be the last time Art would be in a studio.  He'd be gone by the middle of June.  Mark.

PS...it's been a long time since I listened to this music.  This is the first time I've listened to this LP purchased on ebay some time ago.  His version of "Over The Rainbow" gets me every time.  Solo and Duo...Art pours his Soul out for all to hear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rafXSARZtSw

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7579 - 04/05/15 at 17:30:51

An original Mono LP released in 1966...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7580 - 04/05/15 at 18:19:34

Next LP recorded in 1981...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7581 - 04/05/15 at 19:00:34

This LP now. An original 1968 copy.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7582 - 04/05/15 at 19:40:55

Next LP.  An Original Mono 1962 copy.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7583 - 04/05/15 at 20:22:31

Listening to this Music Matters 33 RPM reissue again.  The first time I played it I thought I heard some defects...maybe non-fill/stitching and more than the usual clicks. Sometimes after a first play things get better...we'll see.  I really don't want to hassle with a return.  Usually I just keep an LP with minor defects if they were purchased online.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7584 - 04/05/15 at 20:47:05

I sent my Floyd "Animals" back cause of some surface noise and they sent the same one back, or might just have well done. I cant be arsed anymore. Side 2 is good, and side one is good when the music masks it. So much for dubious copies stamped up with CBS/Sony. I`d like to make a tie with the Dylan Blue Note copy but you`ll never get to the bottom of it.

I`m enjoying a 2hr trip now. Into side two. ( Just a cig and a cup of tea,honest )

ps I got a refund on Dylans " Shadows in the Night " and never had to send it back. Surface noise again. But the cd is ok. Win some lose some.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7585 - 04/05/15 at 21:13:38

Well Syd,  I may have to give "Bitches Brew" another try next week.  It's on Spotify...3 versions.  I have never been able to warm up to electric Miles.  It took a long time for me to enjoy and "Get" his second great quintet but it was well worth the time and effort spent.

That Hancock LP isn't bad enough to send back.  I'll play it again next week.  The truth is I've never sent an album back but believe me, that doesn't mean they're all perfect.

This Keith Jarrett Standards Trio LP now.  I know I own more on Vinyl but have only found three by the Standards Trio. ECM is reissuing some of their back catalog on Vinyl.  I have almost all on CD though.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7586 - 04/05/15 at 21:21:41

Do you have to pay per spotify track Mark
Bitches Brew is awesome Mark. 2 or 3 basses on the go and it`s one glorious brew up. Miles pops in and out from nowhere as per.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7587 - 04/05/15 at 21:36:24

Syd,  Spotify has a free service that is 160 kbps on computers and 96 kbps on mobile.  You have to put up with occasional commercials though.  The premium pay service is 320 kbps and no commercials for 99 cents per month for three months then $10 a month thereafter.  I use the free service but the premium service sounds like a bargain if I didn't already have so many LPs and CDs.

Not all labels or albums are available but there is tons of great stuff.  Check it out.  Won't cost you a thing. Mark.

PS...I might also add, I set up a fictitious Face Book Account so I could link it to spotify.  When I power up my computer spotify is automatically ready.  Also when you look on All Music Guide for an album, you can click on the streaming logos on the right.  There are also a few other free services that I can use if they have an album not available on spotify.  I spent 40+ years buying albums before knowing the music or artist.  This is much cheaper and easier.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7588 - 04/05/15 at 21:52:39

This 45 RPM reissue from ORG...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7589 - 04/05/15 at 22:23:47

TY Mark I`ll give it a try. I`ve checked out dozens of new sounds on u-tube but havent found anything I like. I listen to this sometimes on the jazz sax channel. I just put it on and Rollins is playing.

http://www.jazzradio.com/saxophonejazz

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7590 - 04/06/15 at 12:09:14

Syd,  I'm listening to that site...jazzradio.com, while I listen to CNBC and drink coffee before going to work.  Jazzradio.com is pretty cool.  I don't think I'd be interested in some channels but for an all jazz random stream it's great...if you need/want such a thing.

I tried the channel you linked but I think you'd really like the "Hardbop" channel.  But I really prefer complete albums...so last Century...uh.  Mark.

PS...jazzradio.com seems to play a lot more ads than spotify.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7591 - 04/06/15 at 12:56:27

You can almost time the ads Mark.....every 3 tracks I think. They actually play new tracks that aren`t listed on Discogs yet, artists that haven`t got albums out, or if they have I cant find them.
....meanwhile my local music store has started stocking vinyl. Just testing the water I think as only about 40 lps. I bought Mark Knopflers "Tracker". Little bit pricey but convenient.  They had all Zeps lp`s and some Beatles. I was going to buy Revolver but when I saw it had Yellow Submarine on it I passed.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7592 - 04/06/15 at 12:59:42

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7593 - 04/06/15 at 13:21:37

Man, dyamic and vivid mastering. There's a trumpet fanfare here that just leapt out of the stereo.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7594 - 04/06/15 at 13:33:00

Syd,  so now you're going to send your girls in for a make over?

Discogs is great but doesn't list all albums, even older ones, mainly on lesser known labels.  Don't forget Jazzdisco though, they have more complete sessionography for major artists, at least.  Mark.

PS...as good as the UFO sounds on paper, I'll wait for some first hand impressions from those getting the mod.  I think on my Zen Signature Monoblocks it would be two separate mods so $600 plus shipping two packages back and forth.  As good as they sound now with everything burned in for years, I'm unlikely to mess with near perfection.  As for the Torii, if the UFO becomes available, I'll think about it but again ditto on the above comments.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7595 - 04/06/15 at 13:59:06

The Reiner box set uses the XRCD 24 mastering for this title.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7596 - 04/06/15 at 15:07:59

Not a huge Mahler fan, but this one sounds really nice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7597 - 04/06/15 at 15:30:54

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7598 - 04/06/15 at 19:38:07

OK,  when I got home I hooked up the Taboo to my computer and put the Zu Souls back in...they are the only speakers that produce adequate volume with the Taboo MK III.  I started Miles Davis'  "Bitches Brew".  I really wanted to like it.  I made it through the first song and a half...about 30 minutes.  Now a little Steely Dan...I don't have this one, it's not a favorite...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7599 - 04/06/15 at 19:46:41

SHM-CD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 152 153 154 ... 512
Send Topic Print