Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1820627 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7650 - 04/10/15 at 12:02:59

Well,  I was left wanting more from Fred Kaz, so I clicked on the preview button on CD Baby and to my surprise, full songs played.  This album is solo piano with him speaking/singing lyrics.  I'm not that fond of the vocals but after one tune I started to dig it.  I'll listen to the other two albums later.  Mark.

PS...not bad for a man with 8 fingers.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/fredkaz2

Fred Kaz is perhaps most widely known as the longtime musical director for The Second City, where his extraordinary musical talents were for almost 30 years utilized to accent, illustrate and direct the onstage work of the casts of improvisational actors, a considerable number of whom were destined to become luminaries of stage and screen today.

Fred Kaz was a consummate musician. He was playing complex pianoforte pieces at age 3, performing publicly at 13 and earned a degree in classical music and composition while still in his teens. Before the age of 16 he developed what was to become a lifelong passion for jazz, inspired and encouraged by time spent at the Paris Club with the legendary Chicago trumpeter King Kolax from whom Fred learned "The only way to a man's jazz is through his blues" - a haunting truth that was made only too devastatingly clear when a factory accident in Fred's early 20's resulted in the loss of two fingers from his left hand.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7651 - 04/10/15 at 13:01:50

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #7652 - 04/10/15 at 14:29:45

In response to the Fred Kaz post:

Quote:
PS...not bad for a man with 8 fingers.

Good grief! And the whole time I was listening I kept thinking, "this guy must have more than 10 fingers!" lol

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7653 - 04/10/15 at 16:34:29

Been spinning vinyl on this rare morning off. I probably shouldn't do this because the excellent sound of vinyl spoils me.

Reissue

Rega to ZP3 to Torii MK III to HR-1 = KILLER SOUND

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7654 - 04/10/15 at 16:41:13

Hey Lon,  what's the sound like on the Atlantic Mingus Anthology? I've been thinking of buying it.  Mark.

PS...I guess that's not the one I was thinking of...is that a compilation of Columbia recordings?

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7655 - 04/10/15 at 16:52:12

LP's...felt like some Kinks last nite....

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7656 - 04/10/15 at 17:17:55

It's a two lp set that has Mingus Ah Um and Mingus Dynasty in what I think are original mixes.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7657 - 04/10/15 at 18:38:42

I still have this Fred Kaz reel to reel - his family stumbled into my For Sale post here in the forums, but never followed up with me. So it is, unfortunately going to go up on eBay. Maybe someone who appreciates him will get it, if his family doesn't.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7658 - 04/10/15 at 22:44:46

No laptop tonight...great session on the vinyl ( removed my cd player from the room so I could take out the 5 shelf rack from the corner to open up the soundstage, and make sure the right speaker didn`t have the rack behind it.)
Islands K Crimson 200gm reissue

Speakers Corner 180gm reissue

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7659 - 04/10/15 at 23:42:11

Syd,  I like all 3 of your spins....

It's been awhile since this LP got a spin....good one to kick back with.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7660 - 04/11/15 at 00:10:01

So Syd,  when did you get the Speakers Corner Santana reissue.  How's it compare to the original?  I've been meaning to get a copy.  The last Buy I made, the online seller was out of stock for that one.  A couple vendors have 10% off right now...time for another buy...besides there are 4 new Music Matters Blue Note 33 RPM reissues I need to buy...these aren't discounted by anyone though.

This one is kicking off my extended listening session in the Cave tonight.  Sides 3 and 4.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7661 - 04/11/15 at 00:34:04

Syd,  I had to do it...the original bought at HPB&R.  Let's see what the Deep Hemp Sub can do with this one.

PS...Ah...that's more like it.  A bit more bottom makes things really Pop.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7662 - 04/11/15 at 01:38:42

A Pepper LP...Charlie Haden's Bass is Bodacious on this 1979 recording.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7663 - 04/11/15 at 02:50:27

Joni...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7664 - 04/11/15 at 03:29:25

This one is fantastic...a Music Matters 45 RPM Blue Note reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7665 - 04/11/15 at 03:48:33

Time for a bit of Frank and Nelson Riddle.  This is a MFSL reissue...

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7666 - 04/11/15 at 10:08:52

Ray Charles "The Genius After Hours" sweet! Luis

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7667 - 04/11/15 at 11:57:12

First music of the day.  An album from Spotify via Audeze Cans and Taboo Amp...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7668 - 04/11/15 at 12:05:24

Mono copy from the Japanese Blu-Spec 2 CD box.Via headphones.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7669 - 04/11/15 at 12:59:00

Well Lon,  you got me thinking of Miles.  I had to dig around a bit but I found my Miles Mono CD box under about a foot of other CDs.  This one first...still with the Audeze Cans and Taboo but now with the Jolida 100 CD player.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7670 - 04/11/15 at 13:44:35

This CD next.  Chet Baker in an intimate Trio with Bass and Guitar is one of the few times I enjoy the New Lucid mode on the Taboo MK III with headphones...incredible.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7671 - 04/11/15 at 15:22:29

This 1977 recording next.  I left the Lucid modes on...the guitar is soaring and the Bass popping...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7672 - 04/11/15 at 15:44:38

This CD next.  The lucid mode had to go. It exacerbates the tape hiss on this recording from 1963.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7673 - 04/11/15 at 18:39:08

I'm going to spend a while in the Cave spinning Vinyl...this first...side c and d.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7674 - 04/11/15 at 19:13:37

While listening to Gary Clark Jr., I got an urge to pull out some "Velvet Fog"...don't ask me why...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7675 - 04/11/15 at 19:54:40

Next, LP #3 of 4 of this Dead reissue...songs "Dark Star" and "The Other One"...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7676 - 04/11/15 at 20:47:31

Time to get Monk-y.  LP #1 of this wonderful 1961 2 LP Live Set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7677 - 04/11/15 at 21:46:25

Some Charles Lloyd live in 1982...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7678 - 04/11/15 at 22:35:37

A Neil Young LP...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #7679 - 04/12/15 at 01:58:15

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7680 - 04/12/15 at 12:27:17

First CD with Taboo, Audeze cans and Jolida 100 CDP...

PS... this one is notable to me because it includes Gary Peacock who is now in the Keith Jarrett Standards Trio.  It also has Paul Motian on drums who played in the trio with Scott LaFaro.  Jack Dejohnette the other member of the Keith Jarrett Trio, played briefly with Bill Evans and can be heard on drums on the album "Bill Evans at the Montreux Jazz Festival".

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7681 - 04/12/15 at 13:42:27

That Bill Evans CD was so good I had to listen to it twice.  Now a little Mingus...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7682 - 04/12/15 at 17:29:03

Next, a little more Rock then back to some Jazz...

PS...This is another LP that really shows what the Deep Hemp adds...especially the track "Your Gold Teeth"...Tight punchy bass and some snappy percussion too.  "Show Biz Kids"...Tons of Bass.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7683 - 04/12/15 at 18:04:01

Well, this isn't really Jazz but Fusion.  One of my favorite Ponty LPs...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7684 - 04/12/15 at 18:31:54

OK...I can't stop playing Rock.  I started thinking, what would "The Weight" sound like with the Deep Hemp.  So out comes the MFSL reissue of The Band's "Music From Big Pink"...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7685 - 04/12/15 at 19:37:22

Now some Jazz.  This is a Music Matters 45 RPM Blue Note reissue I hadn't listened to yet.  I still have a few more I've yet to open.  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7686 - 04/12/15 at 20:03:49

More Bill...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7687 - 04/12/15 at 20:41:10

This original LP...I've been thinking of getting a remastered reissue but this copy sounds fantastic...maybe I shouldn't bother.

PS...I've always loved this album...the Omega Deep Hemp adds so much...punchy kick drum and Bass, and more pop in the percussion?  I think so.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7688 - 04/12/15 at 22:06:00

OK, I've gotten behind...been having too much fun with Lon.  This one now and the bottom one before...Art Pepper and Miles Davis...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7689 - 04/12/15 at 23:33:14

Disc 2

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7690 - 04/13/15 at 00:59:06

From the Reiner CSO box set. Getting near the end!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7691 - 04/13/15 at 03:42:55

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7692 - 04/13/15 at 12:30:20

Wish I could stay home and listen to jazz. But. . . this Reiner with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra does sound great. So dynamic!

The Reiner box set uses the XRCD24 mastering for this one.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7693 - 04/13/15 at 13:59:57

The music on this one is so beautiful. Part of it is included on the Living Stereo SACD "Spain" which is a favorite.

IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #7694 - 04/13/15 at 18:44:11

Earth Wind & Fire is one of my favorite groups, all genres, all periods, all planets.

Listening to the SACD of That's the way of the world

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7695 - 04/13/15 at 19:17:13

A few LP's that were nice, very nice this weekend...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7696 - 04/13/15 at 21:18:11

Jose James, No Beginning, No End

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7697 - 04/13/15 at 22:13:23

Hit my fave used LP store at lunch today...Got this TEST LP for  $1.00 in mint condition...Nice!!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7698 - 04/14/15 at 00:22:33

Klien and Mozart are a fascinating combination for me. Love this stuff.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7699 - 04/14/15 at 01:48:22

Spinning in the Cave.  This Music Matters 45 RPM Blue Note reissue...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 ... 512
Send Topic Print