Reply #7750 - 04/18/15 at 19:35:13

Now Basie with his Orchestra

Front1_002.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7751 - 04/18/15 at 21:59:54

Well Luis,  you figured out how to post a pic.  You're doing it the way I did at first before learning how most here do.  You'll learn the other way later...with it you can post multiple cover pics.

I moved the HR-1s out and the Omega Alinco 6XRS speakers into the Cave and my back is ruined.  They won't be moving any time soon.  I hooked them up and put them about where the HR-1s had been and put on a  new Rhino Vinyl CSN reissue.  I thought the Deep Hemp was up too much but when I went over to turn it down, it wasn't on...LOL.  These Omegas with down firing ports have a lot of Bass...at least with this LP.  So far they sound nice after a couple songs.  More to follow.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7752 - 04/18/15 at 22:21:19

After one side of CSN I've put on the 2nd LP of the new Jarrett album I just got.  Less Bass but still more than I'm used to from the HR-1s alone.  The high end is pretty sparkly as I expected.  I've turned the treble control on the Torii down as far as it goes but I think that's only a 3 dB cut...not enough.  The high end isn't as bothersome as with the HR-1s though.  Maybe some different input tubes might help.  The Amperex 7803s seem to exaggerate the highs in my 2nd system with the Omega Alinco Super 7XRS speakers there.  I'll try some Amperex white label 6922s or Bugle Boy 6DJ8s...both tame the high end of the Omegas in my 2nd system.

Damn, this is sounding "Forking" good! Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7753 - 04/18/15 at 23:02:35

These Omegas definitely do not need a sub.  In fact,  I may take DBCs suggestion and buy a pair of Sub Dudes to tighten up the Bass by decoupling the speakers from the floor.  These things have very sharp pointy spikes that probably go right down to the concrete below my carpet.

This LP now...sounds great.  Mark.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7754 - 04/18/15 at 23:20:41

Looks like you are having fun Mark! I´m trying but I just don´t get the other way to upload pictures  :-?

I remember Carmen McRae in a doc saying that she had two copies of this one, just in case one could brake.

image_030.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7755 - 04/18/15 at 23:33:16

Luis, I like Billie Holiday but don't find myself listening to her much.  I like all periods.  That album was late in her career, not too long before her death.  You can hear the age and drug abuse in her voice.  Some don't like this period Holiday...I do.  It's very special and emotional.

This LP now...it's a little rough...lots of snap crackle pop.  Mark.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7756 - 04/18/15 at 23:41:51

I love her no matter when!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7757 - 04/18/15 at 23:59:12

OK Luis, here's a post that explains how to post a pic.  Where he talks about up loading pics...you don't need that part.  Just get the copy of your album cover off the internet via a search for the album then follow the directions.  I find that sometimes when I put the URL on the post it has a long column of gibberish.  You need a URL copy that is relatively short for it to work.  Hope this helps.  Mark.

PS...when you have the photo, you just right click and pick the "Copy image URL" choice and put it between the two [img] things that you got from clicking on the picture frame...three boxes to the right in the first row of icons at the top of the post page.

Here's the link since it wouldn't copy.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1311380616/6#6

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7758 - 04/19/15 at 00:15:52

Listening to this one.  A 45 RPM Analogue Productions reissue.

Even though these Omegas have extended highs they're not as annoying as the HR-1s could be.  Maybe it has something to do with the whizzer vs Ribbon tweeter?  Anyway,  these speakers are starting to grow on me.  Mark.

PS...there's nothing like new toys and new Vinyl in the Cave.  This album is simply mesmerizing with these Omega Alincos.  I guess I'm lucky there's no Bigamy law against being married to multiple speakers.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7759 - 04/19/15 at 01:37:36

This one's nice with the Omegas...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7760 - 04/19/15 at 02:09:32

This is one of the new batch of Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissues and as is usual on these MM reissues, the treble is way too extended.  I swear they must be remastering for old farts with bad hearing.  This is the first LP today that I've used the Deep Hemp with but it doesn't really help...there's still very little bass.  But the Music's fantastic.  Mark.

PS...the second track is better ...more bass, less treble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B1oIXGX0Io

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7761 - 04/19/15 at 02:43:41

This reissue now...turned the Deep Hemp way down...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMi_fh6PumE

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7762 - 04/19/15 at 11:29:00

So far this morning via Spotify, Audeze Cans, Taboo MK III...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7763 - 04/19/15 at 12:03:59

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7764 - 04/19/15 at 13:51:13

I`ve forgotten the  `how to post` instructions. I just google the album, go to `allmusic` and drag drop their photo between brackets of the [img][/img] ( found above left on our compose page). If it`s got cd on it I go to the discogs entry, click on the photo which then enlarges and drag/drop as above.
dicogs has all the versions as well, cd...vinyl...rem...and special rem`s.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7765 - 04/19/15 at 13:58:20

Syd,  I do a google search with artist and album names, then click images that usually gives many choices.  If one has the long gibberish pick another.  Then I right click and chose the "Copy Image URL".  Next go to the picuture frame three boxes from the left on top row on the compose page...click on it.  This will give you two [img]s...put your cursor between them and right click again to paste the URL.  Simple.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7766 - 04/19/15 at 14:00:03

I have split screen mode on my browser which makes stuff easier. Just have to drag accross. I dont know anymore if split screen is on all browsers.
So I do all the googling and drag/dropping from split screen.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7767 - 04/19/15 at 14:04:58

What browser do you have?  I've never used a split screen.  I use google chrome currently.  Mark.

PS...what kind of speaker wire/cable do you use?

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7768 - 04/19/15 at 14:10:29

Oh no, I knew you`d ask Mark.  :)
I use the Maxthon browser. Have used it for
a couple of years now. Easy to install and user friendly.

Funny you ask about sp/cbl. I was going to pm you to look out for a used pair of Townshend Isoldas.
There, 2 ads and I dont do ads  :)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7769 - 04/19/15 at 14:26:07

Ok,  I'll look at those.  What do you look for in your sound.  Do you tend to want more detail and extended highs like many here or do you prefer a warmer less detailed...less extended treble.  I didn't ask about bass because I think everyone wants good bass but what that means is obviously different for everyone.

I've never heard of that browser...I'll stick with google chrome.  Mark.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7770 - 04/19/15 at 14:40:09

Thank you all! Smiley

This one now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7771 - 04/19/15 at 14:50:16

Luis, you did it!!!  I knew you could.  And that is an amazing LP.  The vinyl I have was a Japanese only release.  That is also in the Complete Art Pepper on Galaxy Box Set that every Art Pepper fan should own...Lon,  this is an opinion...hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7772 - 04/19/15 at 15:07:50

Mark I could write a thesis on why I dumped Chrome.....creeping, insidious... but I wont. Maxthon is just cool. All your goto sites on top of screen, full-page, split screen, recent sites, magnification, choice of search engines, just one click.

What I look for in sp/cbls is neutral. The detailed highs, exensions, warmth, bass, macro/micro is all down to the front end, amps, i/c`s and speakers. Tubes and vibration control, room treatment and speaker placement all make a difference as well. The Isoldas I can forget about.

Just seen your sp/cbl thread Mark. I`ll post there maybe in the future.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7773 - 04/19/15 at 16:28:48

Gene Ammons now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7774 - 04/19/15 at 16:37:57

I'm back in the Cave...this OJC reissue now...too much tape hiss otherwise not bad for about $15.  Bill Evans on Piano.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7775 - 04/19/15 at 17:18:50

Ike Quebec

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7776 - 04/19/15 at 17:30:22

Luis,  you're not going to believe me but before I saw your post, I put on that LP...another Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissue from the new batch.  Grant Green's guitar sounds amazing on the Omegas...

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7777 - 04/19/15 at 17:46:32

:-) Amazing! same music at the same time thousands miles away! I like it!

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7778 - 04/19/15 at 18:03:02

Blue Mitchell

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7779 - 04/19/15 at 18:14:42

Another of the Four Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissues I just bought from Acoustic Sounds.  This is my favorite lineup for the Jazz Messengers...Lee Morgan,  Wayne Shorter,  Bobby Timmons and Jymie Merritt.  I also have this one on an XRCD...sounds great...for a CD.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7780 - 04/19/15 at 19:27:13

Big band version of Porcupine Tree tunes by their best drummer. Great sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7781 - 04/19/15 at 19:30:59

This next LP is one of several 200 gm Classic Records Blue Note reissues I bought recently.  Prior to this I hadn't bought any because people liked the Music Matters reissues better but when I read into the reviews...it was the more "detailed" remastering of the MMs that they liked.  I rather like the more laid back, less detailed (read less treble extension) mastering on the two I've listened to so far although the cymbals can be rather splashy on these.  I guess when it's on the tape, you can't do much about it. Mark

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7782 - 04/19/15 at 19:50:31

This LP is an Analogue Productions 45 RPM reissue.  This is one of three LPs from the same sessions.  Analogue Productions didn't use the prior covers....Japan had different covers than american versions.  These reissues all use similar photos with different titles in red print. You've seen them in the past few days.  They all sound fantastic.  I turned off the Sub.  This has plenty of Bass without it.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7783 - 04/19/15 at 20:00:16

Fired the amps up and straight into heaven. Love playing this one, cant see how the MFSL re can improve on it.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7784 - 04/19/15 at 20:26:09

Thought I`d play side 3 of this. Tracks with with S. Winwood, Delaney & bonnie and Bobby Keys.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7785 - 04/19/15 at 20:38:38

SHM-CD

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7786 - 04/19/15 at 20:46:00

Another Classic records reissue...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7787 - 04/19/15 at 21:12:28

side one was better, live SOY Love and Crossroads.
I`ve made some positive changes in my room in the last couple of days. Taken the bricks out from under my platform and relaced them with 3x3" 2ft long timbers. 8 lengths doubled up to give 4 pieces,6" high. This meant I could put the power conditioned under the platform so clearing the corners of the room. Now the speakers have nothing but the corner traps behind them. Also got my arse off the floor cushions by bringing up a nice recliner from the garden. Now I`ll have to get a leather exec recliner !

Still in a guitar mood so 4 sides of this will see me out tonight.
The jimi Hendrix concerts

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7788 - 04/19/15 at 21:50:32

Syd,  I haven't been in a Jimi mood for a while but when I am, I've got lots of reissued Vinyl maybe four or five albums not to mention the big Box Set of Winterland live recordings that sits in the Den unopened.

I have come to the conclusion that these Omega Alinco Super 6XRS speakers won't be leaving my house.  Where their permanent place will be is yet to be determined but until the end of May they will remain in the Cave.  I think I'll get a couple more Sub Dudes to put them on.

I can't honestly say they are better than the Alinico Super 7XRSs because I can't remember what they sounded like in the Cave.  I do recall that the Zu Souls had a bigger more dense sound and the Bass was better partly because they had more space around them to let the bottom port breath and do their thing.  You can't really expect similar performance going from a 25 WPC to a 2.3 WPC amp...two totally different and satisfying experiences each having their special qualities.

Anyway, this is the "what's spinning" thread...so, a little Miles.  This is a 45 RPM MFSL reissue that sounds very good.

PS...this will be it for me.  Until tomorrow...happy listening.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7789 - 04/20/15 at 00:52:50

SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7790 - 04/20/15 at 04:09:28

From the mono box set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7791 - 04/20/15 at 15:01:14

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7792 - 04/20/15 at 15:52:49

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7793 - 04/20/15 at 19:12:14

Nice couple

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7794 - 04/21/15 at 01:36:37

A favorite.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #7795 - 04/21/15 at 02:00:27

Two Kings can certainly beat a full house at times........

cover.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7796 - 04/22/15 at 16:43:10

No diffusion panels or absorbers needed for this one to sound great!

There is so much on this recording. . . I just love it and when I finish hearing it I want to hear it again!

I also have this on a Brazilian Philips cd and it sounds even better, which is not usually the case.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7797 - 04/22/15 at 18:20:00

A few LP's lately....

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7798 - 04/22/15 at 18:37:52

Lon, I didn´t know José James before you said it, playing this one now, I like it

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7799 - 04/22/15 at 19:10:06

He's cool, glad you are digging it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 156 157 158 ... 512
Send Topic Print