Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1821964 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #7950 - 05/10/15 at 17:41:59

Just finished this CD and will move to the Cave, now that the storm has passed.  

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7951 - 05/10/15 at 18:04:11

I had ended with side one of this during my last session in the Cave...so first up is side two of this Steve Wilson remix Vinyl reissue...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7952 - 05/10/15 at 18:39:24

Now this Pure Pleasure reissue of "Chet Baker and Crew" this is a 2 LP set that expands the original 8 tracks to 14...Below the Pic is a review...

Chet Baker – Chet Baker and Crew – Pacific Jazz 82671/ Pure Pleasure Analogue PPAN PJ1224 – Mono 180 gm vinyl – 1956 (2-LPs) ****:

[Chet Baker, trumpet and vocal; Phil Urso, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jimmy Bond, bass; Peter Littman, drums. with Bill Loughbrough, chromatic tympani on “To Mickey’s Memory” and “Pawnee Junction”]

Pure Pleasure Analogue, the audiophile LP company based in England has gone “all-in” with their issue of Chet Baker’s album, Chet Baker and Crew. They have expanded the original Pacific Jazz-issued album from its original eight songs to the full fourteen recordings made over three sessions in late July, 1956 at the Forum Theater in Los Angeles. (A 1993 CD issue matches this 2-LP set, but the LP issue’s acoustics far exceed those of the CD!)

Chet and his band had just returned from a triumphant tour of Europe. There were bittersweet feelings, however, as Baker’s close friend, the amazing young pianist Dick Twardzik, had died the previous October in Paris from a heroin overdose, an issue that also plagued Baker throughout his years. Nevertheless, Baker’s band retained bassist Jimmy Bond and drummer, Peter Littman. Added to the group was the brilliant pianist, Bobby Timmons, and cool toned tenor saxist, Phil Urso, with whom Baker matched well.

“To Mickey’s Memory” adds tympanist Bill Loughbrough, and his inclusion here changes the West Coast laid-back vibe to one with Caribbean overtones, and seems to inspire Baker, as his solo here is much “hotter” than typical Chet. Bond’s bass is caught effectively by remastering engineers, Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman. Their remastering of this set is first rate.

Urso’s solo on “Slightly Above Moderate” is moody and atmospheric in a mournful manner, aided by Timmon’s accents.  Urso wrote, “Halema” for Chet’s wife at the time. It is a gorgeous ballad and Urso and Baker blend seamlessly. Urso was a perfect partner for Chet, as their softer “sweet” tones had much in common.

Al Cohn’s “Something for Liza” livens up the proceedings as Baker shares fours with drummer, Littman. Timmons, one of the best blues piano players of the ’50s and ’60s, shines on “Lucius Lu,” and Urso shows he can leave the cool school aside and play funky. “Worryin’ the Life Out of Me” is the best evidence of how Baker and Urso paired so well. Their light swing on this Miff Mole chestnut is the epitome of West Coast cool music that remains so popular today with Baker fans.

Loughbrough returns on the tympani again for his tune “Pawnee Junction,”
and his drum adds that little bit of extra percussion that kick starts the quintet. Its chromatic conga-like rhythm is a nice touch. The one Chet Baker vocal on this 2 LP set is found on Gerry Mulligan’s, “Line for Lyons.” Chet’s inimitable soft voice added to his matinee idol looks. This appeal made him both Metronome and Downbeat’s No. 1 trumpeter, much to the disgust of East Coast fans of Miles Davis..

Chet Baker and Crew comes highly recommended for audiophiles, fans of early period Baker, and those – like me – that have a special place in our jazz hearts for the West Coast jazz scene that came and went from the early ’50s till the mid ’60s, when the LA jazz scene briefly rivaled the Big Apple for jazz supremacy.

TrackList:

Side 1: To Mickey’s Memory, Slightly Above Moderate, Halema, Revelation
Side 2: Something for Liza, Lucius Lu, Worrying the Life Out of Me,
           Medium Rock
Side 3: To Mickey’s Memory (alt take), Jumpin’ Off a Clef, Chippyin’
Side 4: Pawnee Junction, Music to Dance By, Line for Lyons

– Jeff Krow

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7953 - 05/10/15 at 19:34:35

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7954 - 05/10/15 at 19:42:25

An OJC Vinyl reissue from 1988...actually sounds very good...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7955 - 05/10/15 at 20:01:08

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7956 - 05/10/15 at 20:31:02

This is the last of three Tull reissues I bought for $50 from Pop Market...the label says it's cut from the "New" 2008 Remix...not sure who did it but I'll add the info if I find it...sounds good though.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7957 - 05/10/15 at 21:20:44

I played a couple tracks of Led Zep and decided I wasn't in the mood.  This is spinning now...so fine...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7958 - 05/10/15 at 21:44:16

Sides 5&6  of `B.Evans Top of the Gate` on 45rpm
Now this one, a Verve reissue.
I`ve turned the volume down 10% and it sounds just as loud.
Maybe when it gets to a certain level you just get near clipping or the amps have a level which is just right. Headroom and loudness...increase and the loudness gives way to headroom.
It all equates to zero hum and splendid music. Another 2 Evans albums on the way and I`ve just been checking out his "Interplay Sessions"

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7959 - 05/10/15 at 22:10:26

Syd, the Interplay Sessions is another Milestone twofer I need to pick up.  I was sort of hoping that my complete riverside 45 RPM reissue box would be restocked but it's been over a year...maybe two since I ordered it.  As I recall that set has the LP "Interplay" with a very different lineup...a sextet with Jim Hall, Freddie Hubbard and Zoot Sims.  The second LP is from some later recordings with most of the same personnel.  All of it is in the Complete Riverside Recordings Box Set that I have on CD.  I have been eyeing the vinyl set when I see it, though I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

This LP now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7960 - 05/10/15 at 23:18:57

Japanese LP facsimile reissue edition from Toshiba. Has the first 8 tracks that Carmen recorded for Bethlehem, plus 4 from Julie London added on, the first recordings Julie made.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7961 - 05/10/15 at 23:46:18

Mark, you will like this. See if it's on Spotify. Awesome music that's right up your alley. Quite reasonable box set via amazon.it

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7962 - 05/11/15 at 00:46:37

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7963 - 05/11/15 at 09:31:59

Theres a reissue of "Interplay" due out later this Month Markhttp://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/66116.htm. So I looked and found the twofer. The new one has an extra track or second take of a track which the double doesn`t. Same line up but the second album has Zoot Sims.
http://www.discogs.com/Bill-Evans-With-Freddie-Hubbard-And-Zoot-Sims-The-Interpl...

...and they are still advertising the 22 record 45rpm Riverside box. I dont know why if they cant deliver it.
http://snvinyl.co.uk/epages/eshop943300.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop943300/...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7964 - 05/11/15 at 11:48:02

Syd,  I went back and found my order for the Box set was placed 5/27/2014.   I don't think it's happening.  I will buy the Milestone twofer when I see one in good condition...in fact I'll pick them all up when I can.  That reissue of "Interplay" is by the current owner of the Fantasy catalog, Concord.  I'll have to investigate and see what I can find out about the quality of their vinyl reissues.  I have some of the CD Jazz reissues from them and they're good. Mark.

PS...Music Matters next batch of Blue Note Reissues will begin shipment the end of this week...4 albums this month.  I'll be placing my next vinyl buy this coming weekend.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7965 - 05/11/15 at 12:47:04

More from this excellent box set.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #7966 - 05/11/15 at 16:26:55

Lon, did you listen to Paolo Fresu with Uri Caine (I know they recorded for Blue Note, but I don´t know if it is in your box), it is quite good, I think they really get along together. Luis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7967 - 05/11/15 at 16:46:50

Yes, it's in the box. . . and I had heard one of them before, great stuff!

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #7968 - 05/11/15 at 16:49:40

LP's that stood out this weekend...

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7969 - 05/11/15 at 17:11:19

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7970 - 05/11/15 at 18:16:44

IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #7971 - 05/11/15 at 20:05:56

Burning Spear = Marcus Garvey (Jamaican mono mix)

OUCH!!!!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7972 - 05/11/15 at 21:04:15

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #7973 - 05/11/15 at 21:28:31

Kamasi Washington...The Epic

kamasiw.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7974 - 05/11/15 at 22:33:29

Syd,  I can see I've had some influence on you...both Jean Luc Ponty and Bill Evans in one sitting,  So how do you like "Aurora"?  That Evans is great late Trio...I think Vol. 1 is even better.  Note how differently he plays "My Romance" compared to the early 60's versions with La Faro.  I like both but his later playing was more aggressive...different.  Mark.

PS...sorry,  "My Romance" is on Edition One...if you don't have it, you need to get it.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7975 - 05/11/15 at 23:24:49

Aurora is very listenable Mark, and It`ll go on my rotation. I haven`t played "Enigmatic Ocean" yet, different guitarist onboard. Having too many albums you want to play is a mixed blessing. I also got record one of the Mingus x3 lp "great Concert" in this evening. That was v/gd as well.
Now as for Bill Evans Paris concert edition 2 I only played side one ( a new ploy to get through a load of new discs) it was staggering. The first 2 tracks are solo and his piano was just enormous and miked perfectly. I havent heard him play so dynamically. The band comes in half way through track 2 and it is just great. Looking forward to side 2 which has a 17min `Nardis`. Edition 1 is a must, though I nearly bought Montreux11. I didn`t have my password handy. Glad in a way because I can get carried away once I get going on record sites.
Yes Mark, I`m walking about with holes in my shoes since you got me hooked on Bill Evans.   Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7976 - 05/11/15 at 23:54:55

I've got that Mingus triple LP set too and a 7 CD set from Mosaic Records that has all that material and many more live performances during this very productive two year period...1964-1965.  Yes there is more Music than time.  Such is Life.

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/prodinfo.asp?number=253-MD-CD

In a few minutes I'll enter the Cave.  On the agenda tonight is listening with one of two pairs of speaker cables a generous Decware forum member sent me to try and buy if I like them.  He thinks some of my Treble Trouble might be caused by my Zu Libtec speaker cables. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7977 - 05/12/15 at 00:36:03

After finishing the LP still on the TT, I played this.  The last of the most recent batch of Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissues.  I figured I should listen to it before 4 more arrive next week.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7978 - 05/12/15 at 00:36:51

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7979 - 05/12/15 at 01:28:10

So Lon,  did Steve Wilson remix all of Tull's studio work?  I really enjoyed the three Tull LP reissues I recently bought. Wilson remixed two...not sure about "This Was".

Next, the Sony Mono reissue of this album...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7980 - 05/12/15 at 01:36:26

So far he has remixed the third LP up to this one. Not the first two.

So

Benefit (1970)
Aqualung (1971)
Thick as a Brick (1972)
A Passion Play (1973)
War Child (1974)
Minstrel in the Gallery (1975)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7981 - 05/12/15 at 01:50:49

Thanks,  I think I'll get Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Minstrel in the Gallery.  All Music guide didn't rate War Child as well as the others, would you agree?  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7982 - 05/12/15 at 02:11:00

Next LP, a MFSL reissue...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7983 - 05/12/15 at 02:34:56

I like 'em all to be honest. Benefit and Thick As a Brick are probably my two real favorites, then Aqualung, and Passion Play, War Child and Minstrel in the Gallery I like about the same.

Not that crazy about those after that but if Wilson does them I'll check them out.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7984 - 05/12/15 at 02:43:27

After reading about them, "Heavy Horses" and "Songs From The Wood" sound like two more I'd like to get. I may listen to them on Spotify first...they're all there. Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7985 - 05/12/15 at 03:03:57

This is a Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissue from last year's series...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7986 - 05/12/15 at 21:09:19

Made some purchaces today, some pre orders but it doesn`t say when they`re coming out. Hope it`s not long because I think they wont ship until they`re all ready.
*Eric Dolphy - At the Five Spot Vol.1 - 200g LP Analogue Productions
*Gene Ammons - Boss Tenor - 200g LP Analogue Productions
*Miles Davis - My Funny Valentine Miles Davis In Concert - 180g LP Mobile Fidelity
Kenny Burrell - God Bless The Child - 180g LP Pure Pleasure
Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin - Love Devotion Surrender - 180g LP Speakers Corner
Bill Evans & Jim Hall - Undercurrent - LP Mobile Fidelity

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7987 - 05/12/15 at 23:46:28

Syd,  that Ammons will be available next month.  The Miles and Dolphy are both TBA...which means ...who knows when?  The Miles has been on preorder for over a year.  I considered the Bill Evans/Jim Hall LP but I recall something about the original recording being defective in some way...can't remember exactly what it was but I passed.  I do have that album on CD though and recall the music is good.  I'll try to find it to see what was wrong with the recording...I think there was some distortion on the tape.  Mark.

PS...Syd, here's a Hoffman thread on the MFSL "Undercurrent" reissue.  It talks about the problems as well as other versions of the album on other labels.  

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/mfsl-undercurrent-lp-bill-evans-jim-hall.3...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7988 - 05/13/15 at 14:05:36

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7989 - 05/13/15 at 14:49:57

The last comment on that thread gives it a thumbs up Mark. I`ve got more than a few albums where there is an intermittant distortion on a track somewhere, as well as some quiet ticks and even a surface noise kind of distortion can occur sometimes. Apart from wonder how they get out of the plant theres not a lot I can do. I have returned new albums that are taking the p.
Which leads me on to Bill Evans Paris Concert. I requested to return it. It was listed as ex+ but falls a way short. The other three albums I won, all listed ex+ were ex+.
Then I saw that the Paris Concerts 1&2 are on release as 2x lp 45rpm each. Label ORG.
Theres also a new Kind Of Blue 2x45rpm due out on MFSL.
I can wait till the date for release gets nearer before I swoop. They could be awesome.

I`m getting stuff through the post I forgot I ordered. Today I received.
Bill Evans Trio `65 and a double Rollins ; " The alternative Rollins"
Syd
Oh I ordered another one last night....forgotten it now.
Coltranes `Dakar` 180gm new back to black Prestige.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7990 - 05/13/15 at 15:19:21

More from the Paolo Fresu box set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7991 - 05/13/15 at 15:44:05

Early Corea

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7992 - 05/13/15 at 19:31:45

I should like Jean-Luc as he was with the great Mahavishnu Orchestra.
This albums well good.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #7993 - 05/13/15 at 19:34:14

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7994 - 05/14/15 at 00:54:46

In the Cave for a while.  First LP, a little Art Pepper...Live.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7995 - 05/14/15 at 02:30:27

I'm so wrapped up in the sound, I almost forgot to post...this Rhino Vinyl reissue is finished... this 45 RPM Music Matters Blue Note reissue is playing now...

This is the second listening session with a new/different set of speaker cables and tonight I have added Sub Dude isolation platforms under the Omega Alinco 6XRS speakers. I already had a Sub Dude under the recently acquired Omega Deep Hemp Sub.  

The combined effect of these changes is pretty amazing.  The new speaker cables have greatly reduced the troublesome high end I was experiencing on some recordings. A warmer, more pleasant sound.  The Sub Dude's effect is more subtle.  The Bass is tighter, clearer, cleaner and better defined than with the Omegas' bottom ports firing directly into the carpeted floor.  Overall, definitely a change for the better.

DBC, you were correct in your assumptions. Will, you were too...I'm currently using the Nanotecs.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7996 - 05/14/15 at 03:04:02

Yeah this is the sound...time for Frank and Nelson Riddle...

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7997 - 05/14/15 at 03:09:59

Be careful Mark. Those Omega Alnico's will Screw With Your Head. LOL

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7998 - 05/14/15 at 03:18:59

DBC,  I've got another question for you.  When I move the HR-1s back into the Cave in June, do you think the Sub Dudes will have a similar effect as with the Omegas?  The HR-1s have a Plinth on the bottom with a fixed gap through which the Bass passes, so it really doesn't fire directly into the floor as the Omegas do. By the way,  I'm having a Ball!  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #7999 - 05/14/15 at 03:34:03

Next LP...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 ... 512
Send Topic Print