Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #8050 - 05/16/15 at 15:20:32

Cool. Wish I were going to the symphony. Instead I'm taking my Dad to a "Life Memorial" of one of his neighbors who passed. . . a three hour thing. . . I guess it includes dinner. Sigh.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8051 - 05/16/15 at 15:35:13

I just went to Joni's official website...nothing new since the April 28th statement.  I wonder what's going on?  This CD now.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8052 - 05/16/15 at 18:19:25

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8053 - 05/16/15 at 19:10:04

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8054 - 05/16/15 at 21:26:18

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8055 - 05/16/15 at 22:15:29

LP 3 of this set. It gets out there but I love it.

2&3 of Bills` set @45rpm

Lovely recording left right and centre with good depth.
Always fascinating to hear the drummer play something and  get a drum to sound right across the stage.

My local music store is stocking more vinyl by the week. Only problem is I find I have to go through all of them. I dont know half the performers but still. Lord Hurons "Strange Trails" popped out and I bought it. It`s ok. Second listen was better. Sooner they start catergorising the genres the better. At the moment they`re all in together, just alphabetical.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8056 - 05/17/15 at 14:05:26

Hot coffee and Bill Evans, a beautiful way to start the day.  CD #2 of this 6 CD set... (using Zen Sig Monos, Zu Souls and Jolida 100 CDP)

PS...I had forgotten just how good these recordings are.  The live recordings with La Faro in 1961 are great but these made with Bill's last trio are different but just as good with much better recording.  This set and the 6 CD set of Jarrett at the Blue Note may be all I'd need on a Desert Island....and of course all my Decware and other gear...and the electricity to run it!

PSS...I may also need the Ella Fitzgerald Songbook recordings on my Deseret Island.  Now I'm starting to sound like Steve Martin in the movie "The Jerk" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSWBuZws30g

PSSS...and maybe the Complete Art Pepper on Galaxy

PSSSS...and maybe a dozen Chet Baker albums and....

PSSSSS...well on second thought, I think I'll need a second Desert Island to store my CDs and Vinyl...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8057 - 05/17/15 at 14:52:41

One more cd then off to Lucy's. Due to a memorial service I lost my day off with her yesterday, going to make up for it as much as I can today.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8058 - 05/17/15 at 17:17:18

I've been listening to things via spotify with the Taboo MK III and Audeze LCD 2.2 headphones.  I'm trying to decide on some new vinyl. The below was the first...I'll buy this Gil Evans LP reissue.  Next I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy the new 4 LP set of Bill Evans and Tony Bennett's recordings together...this is the first album I've listened to...next will be their Fantasy release, for which I'll move to the Cave to listen to my original copy...I think I'll put the RFT EL-34 Power tubes back into the Torii for this.  Mark.

PS...well, I've decided that I won't buy the 4 LP Evans/Bennett set.  I will buy it on a 2 CD set for $15 ...it's been added to my wishlist at Amazon.  In the end, I couldn't see paying more than a C note for what amounts to two albums plus two outtakes and multiple alternate takes.  I have both albums on CD and the Fantasy release on Vinyl.  The music is wonderful though and I may change my mind someday.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8059 - 05/17/15 at 18:00:13

Just Bought this Pop Market Mono Bundle of 4 Beatles LP reissues...75 bucks.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8060 - 05/17/15 at 18:21:47

OK,  in the Cave, RFT/Seimens EL-34s in place. Tony and Bill putting on a Concert for me...Sounding good so far...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8061 - 05/17/15 at 18:49:36

Enough Tony & Bill for now.  On to this 45 RPM Music Matters Blue Note reissue.  And I have to admit that the usually searing cymbals of Elvin Jones' busy drum work is smoother and less "painful"...well not painful at all...compared to in the past.  I think the foremost contributor is the change to Nanotec speaker cables from the Zu Libtec cables but also playing a role is the Omega Deep Hemp Sub.  So is it the Shark Liver Oil with a nano particle mix of gold and silver added with which the cooper wire is coated?...mmmm...all sounds a bit Voodooish to me but the alchemy does have an undeniably wonderful effect...Very nice!  Another confirmatory test will come when I move the HR-1s into the Cave in June.

For those who've been reading and posting in my "Cable Agnostic" thread....what's the verdict?  Yes, there is a difference between speaker cables and marked improvement can be had with some cable rolling.  Mark.

PS...I just realized that I don't have any treble cut dialed in on the Torii MK IV.  I turned the treble control down as much as possible and to be honest, I can't hear much, if any difference.  But so far I'm pleased.  Next up, some Tony Williams on the drum kit.  He can get pretty busy on the cymbals too.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8062 - 05/17/15 at 19:32:24

This Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissue is one from this year's batch.  There were two more released Friday and two more will be released May 26th, I'll order them today.  On this LP Tony Williams is very active on the cymbals and he's very prominent in the mix as you would expect with the Omega Alinco 6XRS's extended High End...a trait of both pair of omega speakers I own.  But again, as on the prior LP, where the treble is more than I'd prefer, it isn't objectionable or unpleasant as was my experience in the past.  It will be interesting to see if I'm able to further dial in the high end more to my liking with the HR-1s.  I currently have 10 ohm Mundorf Supreme resistors on them but have a bag full of other values of the next version down from the supremes so I can experiment if need be.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8063 - 05/17/15 at 20:04:39

Next, this is a Record Day Ltd Ed 10" vinyl issue of two songs from Charles Lloyd "Live At Slugs" recorded in 1965 released by Resonance Records.  Watching the Orange vinyl spin is very strange...don't know why.  I've only discovered Charles Lloyd the last year or so but I'm fascinated with the music he made in the 60's...especially that with Keith Jarrett in his group.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8064 - 05/17/15 at 20:34:37

Next is this often played favorite.  Gary Peacock's Bass is so powerful I had to turn the Sub down.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8065 - 05/17/15 at 21:20:11

Now this Mono reissue of the Beatles "White Album".  LP #1...I just had to hear "Blackbird"...it's on side two.  Love that song.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8066 - 05/17/15 at 22:29:32

Next is Vol. 2 of this.  A CD with both volumes on it has been living in my Car for months...this LP was picked up at HPB&Rs for 4 bucks...it's in great shape.  I am considering the two volume reissue by Analogue Productions on 200 gm Vinyl.  I feel there is an arms race to see who can use the heaviest vinyl.  In my opinion it only increases the incidence of defects due to longer cooling and there is definitely more warpage.  If I were to return all the reissue Vinyl that I own with some warp...I'd be returning at least 1/4 of what I buy.  I personally don't think heavier vinyl translates to better fidelity.  If anyone has some expertise in this area speak up.  I think 180 or 200 gm vinyl is just an excuse to charge even more for reissues.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8067 - 05/18/15 at 12:50:05

Back to classical basics, trying to get myself in a better mood. Disc 2.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8068 - 05/18/15 at 20:22:24

A little live today...

dglive.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8069 - 05/18/15 at 20:28:47

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8070 - 05/18/15 at 21:02:46

Now this for an interesting comparison.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8071 - 05/18/15 at 21:38:29

On Resonance label
2x 180 gm Ltd ed.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8072 - 05/18/15 at 21:42:13

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8073 - 05/18/15 at 22:23:19

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8074 - 05/18/15 at 23:39:21

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8075 - 05/19/15 at 00:50:38

In the Cave. Finished the Tony Bennett LP on the TT.  Now this Speakers Corner reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8076 - 05/19/15 at 01:30:38

Next, this LP from the "Riverside Tenor Sessions" box set from Analogue Productions...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9_WDV2RuE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR40qjgavq0

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8077 - 05/19/15 at 02:02:56

Sweet Melissa.

eapeach.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8078 - 05/19/15 at 02:04:25

Next LP...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8079 - 05/19/15 at 02:31:48

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8080 - 05/19/15 at 03:05:25

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8081 - 05/19/15 at 04:07:31

Played a little Dream and now off to bed...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8082 - 05/19/15 at 12:51:23

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8083 - 05/19/15 at 15:10:37

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8084 - 05/19/15 at 15:53:34

Beautiful music. Love cello and piano pieces.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8085 - 05/19/15 at 19:12:18

CD's sound so much better since mapleshade spkr wire upgrade!  Nice!    Morgan / Airbag  /  Big Big Train

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8086 - 05/19/15 at 22:30:13

Had a hankerin' for my southern teen years today......

skynyrd.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8087 - 05/20/15 at 19:42:26

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8088 - 05/20/15 at 21:21:49

I thnk I have all this material elsewhere but MAN it sounds great on this set. Even though some cds I have are used as a source for some of these tracks, they sound better here. And I LOVE this music!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8089 - 05/20/15 at 21:58:58

Played Charles Lloyd " Manhattan Stories " again and loved it. It`s quite, not trippy but stretches out in cool progressive solos.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8090 - 05/20/15 at 22:59:58

3 LP's last nite....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8091 - 05/21/15 at 00:14:21

Yes, I have the Lloyd on cd and really like it. But then I'm a Szabo fan.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8092 - 05/21/15 at 02:23:41

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8093 - 05/21/15 at 13:25:00

Disc 5

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8094 - 05/21/15 at 19:39:28

LP  40th anniversary edition...sounds great!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8095 - 05/21/15 at 19:49:57

Lon wrote on 05/20/15 at 21:21:49:
I thnk I have all this material elsewhere but MAN it sounds great on this set. Even though some cds I have are used as a source for some of these tracks, they sound better here. And I LOVE this music!

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/images/259.jpg

MORE Eddie and Bud. The shit!

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8096 - 05/21/15 at 21:04:42

You`re driving a hard sell Lon..... Smiley  
How can I not check them out...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8097 - 05/21/15 at 21:33:25

Yes, I have the four disc set of the Minstrel in the Gallery, the new mix is quite nice.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8098 - 05/21/15 at 21:49:49

Waiting for my darling Lucy to come home. . . spinning this. .. the modded C amp sounds great.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8099 - 05/22/15 at 00:31:39

Haven't been in the Cave since Monday evening.  This is one from a HPB&Rs buy Tuesday night on my way home from a meeting at work.  I remember playing this LP on my parents new stereo when I was about 13 or 14 years old...I know I still have it but who knows where it is?  This copy is in VG+ or maybe VG++ condition...a little dusty but worth the 10 bucks I paid.  Love this music.

Syd,  I have a Mosaic Eddie Condon Box...not the new one and also have a lot of his stuff on the first two volumes of the complete commodore recordings and single CDs.  I know what you've been listening to lately and let me suggest you sample some Eddie Condon on Spotify for Free before a purchase.  It's quite different than what you've been listening to and the recordings, many made prior to Tape, are not as "high fidelity" as those you're used to.  I don't listen to Eddie much but enjoy him when I do.  Mark.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 162 163 164 ... 512
Send Topic Print