Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1822791 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #8100 - 05/22/15 at 01:03:44

Another HPB&R purchase.  I have this on CD and have the vinyl of Vol. one too...not my favorite music of either of these musicians but worth a listen occasionally...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8101 - 05/22/15 at 01:13:31

Sorry, but I had no choice but to get funky...

ewf.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8102 - 05/22/15 at 02:11:14

No apologizes needed to play a little EW&F.  I've got some of their LPs in a box somewhere and I saw them live in Omaha in the Mid 70's.

This next LP was spinning when I was 13 yo or so.  This copy from HPB&Rs...sounds great.  I may pick up a couple more America LPs that were there, tomorrow on my way home from work. Again, I have them but where they are is a mystery.  Easier to buy another copy than find the box that contains them.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8103 - 05/22/15 at 02:39:51

Next this LP from my recent buy...definitely not a favorite Brubeck album...there are many better.  I think I have this in the Complete Studio Recordings of the Quartet on CD.  I don't know, this one may be going back to HPB&Rs...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8104 - 05/22/15 at 03:55:14

The next and last LP before bed.  Have to get up early for work...well I get up early anyway...usually between 4:30 and 5:30.  It's very rare for the alarm to wake me.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8105 - 05/22/15 at 04:08:16

Well, just one side of this before bed...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8106 - 05/22/15 at 13:09:44

Music played on the Titanic. .. a fascinating cd . . . Dad really likes it. Nicely recorded.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8107 - 05/22/15 at 13:53:03

Lovely disc.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8108 - 05/22/15 at 16:34:30

This

From this Blu-ray audio disc

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8109 - 05/22/15 at 20:57:16

I must get the original or good reissues of these two albums one day.
These are DMM by VP. Not sure of the source but mighty good.
I cant hold out much longer before I get the Miles `58 live album with the KOB line up. It`ll be on MOV or DOL

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8110 - 05/22/15 at 22:06:43

Only have time for one CD before leaving.  This is a favorite from the Dead...

Syd,  did you see that I put my RFT/Seimens EL-34s back in the Torii on Monday?  With the Nanotec speaker cables I'm trying out currently, the painful treble I occasionally was getting with some recordings has been much improved...so I thought I'd see how my old friend the EL-34 would do with the Nanotecs...very nice.  Giving the Russian Photons a rest.  Mark.

PS...Syd, I think I bought a couple Coltrane reissues by Rhino Vinyl..."My Favorite Things" and "Coltrane Sound".  I'll listen to them this weekend and let you know what I think.  I've actually been very pleased with the Rhino Vinyl reissues I've bought in the past...they are surprisingly good.  But specifically the Coltranes...I have to listen again.  I think I've got an Org Coltrane reissue that seemed to have some Boomy Bass...I'll have to revisit it now that I've made so many changes for the better to my system.  Later...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8111 - 05/22/15 at 22:38:50

I have the Rhino box set of all the Atlantic Coltranes on LP. They sound pretty good. I once heard an original "Plays the Blues" and did a shootout with the owner. . . there's no question that the original sounded a bit better, but it was just a bit.

Right now, a nice compilation cd

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8112 - 05/22/15 at 22:45:16

That's good to hear, Lon.  I may pick up more.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8113 - 05/22/15 at 23:47:12

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8114 - 05/23/15 at 00:15:52

I did see you`d put the EL34`s back in for comparisson while you`re running new speakers and sp/cbls in Mark. I`ve done the same while I settle some new sp/cabls in. I actually put them back just before and noticed some extra shimmer and of course the bass got more weight behind it. Now both those attributes seem counter productive.
The new cables could do with a bit less of both so the Fotons should fit back in with great results. Having the EL34 bass back is kinda nostalgia so I wont miss it. The Fotons are great.
I`ll have to look at the different label outputs for Coltrane and others.
"Dakar" is on it`s way and I dont know what label it`s on. I hope it has him playing in a not to frenetic stage of his career.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8115 - 05/23/15 at 00:56:31

"Dakar" is actually a 1957 recording of Coltrane for Prestige Records, a very hard bop Coltrane that hadn't yet become the aritst he would for Atlantic and Impulse.

"Dakar" has an interesting front line of two baritone saxes and Coltrane, so it has a thick and rich and dark shimmer to it. Personnel is:

John Coltrane - tenor saxophone
Cecil Payne - baritone saxophone
Pepper Adams - baritone saxophone
Mal Waldron - piano
Doug Watkins - bass
Art Taylor - drums

This is part of a series of dates that Waldron sort of straw-bossed and arranged for Prestige that featured Coltrane and other horns and guitarists of the label in interesting combinations. I think you'll like it. It's one of my favorite Coltranes on Prestige.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8116 - 05/23/15 at 01:02:32

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8117 - 05/23/15 at 03:13:01

Syd, "Dakar" was originally on the prestige label in 1957 before he went to Atlantic records...it's probably an OJC reissue.  I've had some good and some not so good OJC vinyl.  This was recorded about the same time he was recording with Miles Davis and Thelonious Monk and others.  I have a huge CD box set of his Prestige output, much of it with him as a sideman.  I think some of the recordings were with Coltrane as a sideman but later issued with him with top billing after his popularity with Miles.  I found it on you tube if you want to sample it.  Mark.

PS...now I see Lon already told you about Dakar...oh well, I  just got home and hadn't refreshed the forum yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pnlt7h8vIE

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8118 - 05/23/15 at 09:49:52

Listening to it now. I`m gonna love this one. Smooooth.
John Coltrane ‎– Dakar
Label:
Prestige ‎– PR 7280, Universal ‎– 0888072351172
Series:
Back To Black –
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Reissue, Remastered, 180 Gram

The baritone sax has just kicked in...v/nice

I`ve just bought a nice unit for my albums. It`ll dwarf my collection....I can put all the knick-knack on it as well. The lava-lamp is languishing....dont think it`ll make the cut.   Smiley

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351404728690?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=S...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8119 - 05/23/15 at 12:42:16

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8120 - 05/23/15 at 13:54:05

This CD...

Syd, I had written a long post about Dakar and the Back to Black label and had included multiple links but before I was finished my computer gave me one of the frequent Blue Screens and crashed... everything was lost. I don't want to go through it again but I would suggest to seek out a review of each Back to Back reissue you consider buying.  From the Hoffman thread on Back to Black, which is really a Marketing Slogan for Universal Music Vinyl product, it is hit and miss at best for quality. B2B vinyl isn't available at any of the 4 New Vinyl vendors I use so it's unlikely I'll buy any. But of course, let your ears be the judge.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8121 - 05/23/15 at 14:45:12

IP Logged
Guillaume Bougard
Verified Member

Reply #8122 - 05/23/15 at 19:03:32

Sly & Robbie - Dub Rockers Delight

Typical sound of Channel One in the 82-84 years.

and now Sly & Robbie - Money Dub

slightly earlier stuff, about 79-80, faster, bouncier

Both are heavy as lead.

I use a Torii IV amp and Omega 7XRS speakers and the system doesnt need subs to make my furniture and cabinets shake. The snares are crips, the delays and reverb effects are beautifully detailed. Bass doesnt rumble.

Perfect way to spend time while my wife isnt around. She can't take music at loud volume, especially monotonous, repetitive drum and bass!!!

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8123 - 05/23/15 at 21:02:20

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8124 - 05/23/15 at 22:33:42

Syd,  sounds like you're having fun.

In the Cave.  Will play this LP purchased at HPB&Rs on Friday on my way home from work...less than 4 bucks in excellent condition.

PS...this one's better than I expected...the sound really pops...the acoustic guitars and flute...wonderful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI0yw8mFuoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvdZUzMjH7E  the whole album

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8125 - 05/23/15 at 23:20:50

This Rhino Vinyl Coltrane LP reissue.  I love the music but on the Atlantic recordings the Bass just sounds indistinct and muddy, sort of like a low drone...I turned the Sub way down to decrease this effect.  I'd have to listen again but I recall this on an ORG reissue of Coltrane Jazz and this one...can't remember if it occurred with Coltrane Sound but since it was the same sessions...I'd bet it's the same.  I have a non-audiophile version of Coltrane Jazz...I'll listen to it soon too.  To be clear I don't think it's the remaster but rather the  original tape.  By contrast...I remember the Impulse Quartet Box set having excellent recordings...including the Bass.  Mark.

PS...the Bass on the second and third tunes is a bit better...clearer.  Maybe I'm being a little critical

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8126 - 05/23/15 at 23:33:25

Certainly am Mark. I dont often have sounds appearing in front of the speakers let alone above my head. It`s all gone bonkers. I always pictured total envelopement as the goal and some albums are delivering.
I might dip my toe in the water with a Tull album. Never seen them but a couple of their albums used to be on the scene. Thick as a brick and another one. Very popular here.

ps The bass on my "My Favourite Things" is drony as well. I cleaned it up with a 12AU7 in the ZP3. A TFK. Made a lot of difference. The bass got more tuneful. Also the EL34`s pump it out but with the tube change it was ok.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8127 - 05/24/15 at 00:00:18

Syd,  I don't recall a problem with the Bass in my current setup with other LPs.  I did just switch to the EL-34s but I think I perceived the same thing with the Russian Photons.  I'm probably just being overly critical...except for the title cut the Bass is better...not as Drony as during "My Favorite Things".  The tubes I've got in the ZP3 include a RCA Black Plate triple Mica 5814 in the 12AU7 spot and a pair of Sylvania Black Plate triple mica 5751s in the 12AX7 spots.  I'd be reluctant to try a Telfunken since they extend the highs...the description given by Joe of Joe's Tube Lore sounded exactly like what I want to avoid.

I never owned any Tull LPs or CDs until I recently bought a 3 LP bundle from Pop Market...I really liked them and plan to buy a few more...Aqualung, Thick as a Brick and Songs From The Wood are on my list.

This LP next.  Another from HPB&Rs.  I've had some Roberta Flack albums in the past but don't recall having this one...I always liked her soulful voice.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8128 - 05/24/15 at 00:32:21

Syd,  I just remembered that the Torii MK IV has a bass switch that is supposed to tighten up the Bass.  I couldn't remember which one it was so back to the Owners Manual I went.  I'm playing the 45 RPM ORG reissue of Coltrane Jazz and think the switch helped.  Mark.

PS...much, much better with the Bass Tightened up a bit with the switch.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8129 - 05/24/15 at 00:54:52

OK, enough Coltrane for tonight.  Now another from HPB&Rs.  I enjoyed the America LP I bought Monday so much that when I went back Friday, I bought two more...again, I already have them but this was easier than finding them...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8130 - 05/24/15 at 01:30:56

Now this Analogue Productions reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8131 - 05/24/15 at 02:09:26

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8132 - 05/24/15 at 02:38:22

This will be the last LP tonight.  A 1974 reissue of this album originally released in 1959...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8133 - 05/24/15 at 02:40:47

Brand. Been a while since I've spun this band.

cracker.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8134 - 05/24/15 at 14:08:54

Floating away in Dallas.  I think we're close to breaking records for rainfall here...

I listened to this via spotify with the Taboo MK IV, Jolida 100 and Audeze LCD Cans.  I wasn't too sure about this one at the beginning but by the end I'd grown to like it...I'll listen to another soon.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8135 - 05/24/15 at 16:40:46

Syd,  you have to get some of these Evans' Trio recordings from the Vanguard in 1980...superb in every way!  If you have a half decent CD player you could buy the whole 6 CD box cheap...Lon was saying he was buying them for $30 as presents...maybe he'll share where he purchased them.  

Currently CD #3 of this set...wonderful stuff...

PS...Syd,  I think this is the full title of the box...maybe set up an email alert from e bay if amazon or other vendors don't have it cheap.  I found a seller who had it used through US Amazon for $36.

http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Out-The-Stars-Recordings/dp/B000002MYU

Turn Out The Stars: The Final Village Vanguard Recordings. June 1980

And $50 on US ebay... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Evans-Turn-Out-The-Stars-6-CD-Set-The-Final-Village...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8136 - 05/24/15 at 17:59:05

Hey Lon,  I see you're on now...got a question.  Do you have any Dylan on Vinyl?  Original or reissue.  What would you say is your preferred way to listen?...the Stereo or Mono versions?  I'm listening to the MONO CD box right now and I'm trying to decide if I want the Mono Vinyl box too...very tempted.  Mark.

Well Lon,  you failed me...hehe.  You must be otherwise occupied.  I read about the Mono Box on the Hoffman thread...lots of love for this set over there.  I went to Pop Market and bought this Daily Deal before it was sold out...this has happened before when I dilly dally.  Good deal at $145...that's 16.11 per slab of Vinyl.

It's 177.26 on Amazon...

http://www.popmarket.com/features/117446666?cid=nl%3A1129481485&utm_medium=email...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8137 - 05/24/15 at 19:17:46

CD # 2 of this double album...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8138 - 05/24/15 at 19:22:24

I thought I had all the Vanguard records Mark, but on second look he took a post Le-Faro trio into the Vanguard as well. I shall get round to them, I bet they`re great.
I`m trying not to buy cd`s. 1, My rotel is temperemental and likes to cut out on one channel. Tilting it up and dropping it doesn`t work anymore.2, My ancient backup player sounds grainy and from the Ark.
I reckon Lons got about all Dylans released.

I think you`re ready to stock up on R. Wyatt albums Mark.
Cool

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8139 - 05/24/15 at 19:50:40

I didn`t realise this was an unnoficial album. The band with Le-Faro and Paul Motian. It`s re-released as the Birdland sessions which should be better. The sound quality is v/gd. The tracks tend to cut off just before the ends. Nardis is great.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8140 - 05/24/15 at 19:57:12

Syd,  I don't know that I've heard R. Wyatt.  How would you describe his music?

Bill Evans played many many times at the Village Vangaurd during his life with many different Trios but the only three that were officially recorded and released were those in 1961 with Scott La Faro and Paul Motian, some in 1967, "California Here I Come" with Eddie Gomez and Philly Joe Jones and then the 1980 recordings with Marc Johnson and Joe Labarbera. I recommend them all.  There is a Fan recorded box called "Secret Sessions" released by Milestone, has 8 CDs worth of Vanguard recordings from 1966 to 1975.  You can pass on those, the recording quality isn't as good as the offical releases.

On CD players.  If you'd like a cheap and very Musical player, I would recommend a used Jolida 100. It has two 12AX7 tubes in it...I changed mine to a pair of Raytheon/Baldwin 12AX7s...sounds great. You can get one for about $500.  I have two and love them (one black face one silver).  When ever I see one come up for sale, I'm tempted to buy it as a back up. Mark.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/jolida/jd100.html

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0304/jolidajd100a.htm

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/digital-sources/cd-players/jolida/jd-100a/prd_321...

This CD next...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8141 - 05/24/15 at 20:18:00

Robert Wyatt. I`d say an acquired taste but once you hear him you`ll think this is good. Really does justice to an audiophile set up. I suppose the genre would be avante garde progressive. His chord progessions are based in choral modes, which he studied. The music weaves. His lyrics are observational light humour to red politics, which is his want to be fair, and they`re not pushy, more humilty than anything.
It`s the layering of textures and unexpected paths that delight. Expect the unexpected. A u-tube clip wouldn`t do justice to the atmosphere and low down power. He is unique.
Piano, sax, bass, drums, some guitar, but not in a rock`n`roll way. More jazz than rock.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8142 - 05/24/15 at 20:26:16

Syd,  sounds interesting.  I'll listen to some on Spotify next time I fire up the Taboo Amp.  There are 11 albums on spotify, the most recent released in 2009.  What albums would you recommend I sample?  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8143 - 05/24/15 at 21:02:59

I think I have 5, and his Comic Opera on cd, Mark. Cuckooland is a double and is very good indeed with some guests on. Old Rottenhat.
Ruth is stranger than Richard.
You could dive in anywhere as his tracks vary and I`d have to play the albums to know what was on what.

I`ll keep my eyes open for a Jolida cd. None on e-bay at present.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8144 - 05/24/15 at 21:38:01

Thanks Syd,  that gives me a place to start on my introduction to Robert Wyatt.  He looks like a rather crusty old fellow.

I have never deleted my ebay email alerts for Jolida CD players...so I'll keep an eye out too.  They come up on Audiogon occasionally too. Be careful not to buy the prior model a 601, I think...it was a piece of crap.  You want a Jolida 100 or 100A... they are the same thing.  Also since Jolida stopped selling them the Chinese factory where they were made has begun selling a new version without a headphone jack.  I don't know how this one is but I'd stick with the ones Jolida marketed and sold.  The one Jolida sold was actually a model sold in Europe...Germany? under another name but they looked identical right down to the remote...the cost of them was much higher under the European Brand.  I've forgotten the name of the one Jolida copied...maybe that's why they stopped selling them.  Don't know but the new Jolida model is like $2900 and requires more tubes, has a DAC, etc.  I'll stick with my simple Jolida 100, thank you!  

Now a little Monk...I'm trying to decide if I want the Speakers Corner Vinyl reissue of this one for $35.  Mark.

PS...I found the reference to the similarity to another CD player in this article...a quote..."Haven't I Seen You Somewhere Before? The JD-100A may look familiar to some readers, especially those in Europe. Cosmetically, it is identical to a machine marketed by Lua of Germany, the Cantilena.  I asked Michael Allen, President of JoLida, to clarify the matter for me. His comment? "No comment"."

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/jolida-jd100_e.html

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8145 - 05/24/15 at 22:04:05

Sorry Mark I was only on for a minute earlier. The mono cd box is excellent. I haven't heard the vinyl, I"m sure you'll enjoy it.

Syd, When "Turn Out the Stars" was reissued a few years back you could find it for about 30 to 35 dollars and I did buy a few and give away at Xmas and made a few new Evans fans. Haven't looked for it since then. Consider the Fantasy box sets "Consecration: and "The Last Waltz." They may not sound quite as audiophile, as they started out as unofficial recordings, but the playing is top notch. IMO better by a few hairs.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8146 - 05/24/15 at 23:50:54

No problem, Lon.

This CD now...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #8147 - 05/25/15 at 17:31:04

I can't believe I am just discovering this music now…it's absolutely beautiful!  I suppose better late than never.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8148 - 05/25/15 at 17:54:54

Listening to this via Spotify...Taboo MK IV...Audeze LCD Cans.  I'm trying to decide if I want the MFSL 2 LP version of this Live Concert recording from the early 70's...prior to the "Last Waltz".   Anyone have an opinion on this one?  Mark.

PS...I've been reading and Jan. of 2013 new remixes were made of the songs of the original LPs and the 2001 remastered 2 CD set.  A two CD set or 4 CD set with the last two CDs being a complete concert are available.  Now I have a lot to think about and research.  Apparently the 2013 remixes have greatly improved sound.  I know I want the music just not sure which form...Maybe the 2 LP MFSL Vinyl of the original Mix and then one of the remixes...2001 or 2013...on CD which more than doubles the tracks compared to the Vinyl.

PSS...to save others time, who may want this music...my conclusion is that the original Tape/Mix used for the original LPs and by MFSL was not  great.  The new 2013 mixes are the best they've been so no MFSL vinyl copy for me...I've added Live At The Academy Of Music 1971 [2 CD]  ($15) to my Amazon Wish List and until a vinyl copy of these mixes is released, these will have to do. A Hoffman thread on this below.  I read lots more but they all pretty much reach the same conclusion.   By the way what I just finished listening to was the 2 CD 2001 mix...the Music is fantastic...the 5 man Horn Section adds a lot.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-band-rock-of-ages-vs-live-at-the-acade...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8149 - 05/25/15 at 19:19:55

This next...

Sorry Syd,  not digging it.  I even tried another album.  I'll come back to him again in the future.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 ... 512
Send Topic Print