Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #8202 - 05/30/15 at 03:54:47

That's a great one. "Never Will I Marry" comes into my mind every time I see that cover. Great version of that tune.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8203 - 05/30/15 at 14:00:33

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8204 - 05/30/15 at 14:56:25

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8205 - 05/30/15 at 15:41:35

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8206 - 05/30/15 at 16:29:37

One of my favorite Texans

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8207 - 05/30/15 at 18:01:50

In the Cave after a long absence, Monday was my last listening session. This is one of the Mono LPs from the Dylan Mono Box Set I bought.  Vinyl is flat and quiet.  This was never a "warm" recording...the Harmonica always is rather piercing but otherwise very nice...

Next week will be June and I'll be bringing the HR-1s back into the Cave.  I do want to try another pair of speaker cables before doing so but I'm so pleased with the Nanotech speaker cables that I haven't been able to bring myself to take them out.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8208 - 05/30/15 at 18:32:40

This 45 RPM Analogue productions reissue...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8209 - 05/30/15 at 18:42:08

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8210 - 05/30/15 at 18:43:10

Theres a 90 min docu on Bluenote this evening ( "A Story Of Modern Jazz")7:00 on BBC4. Should be a good`n, it starts at the beginning of the Bluenote story. I  really want to listen to some albums that arrived today though so will watch it on catch up later on.

Maybe RVG will be on in person.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8211 - 05/30/15 at 19:01:46

A little blasphemy...

gia.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8212 - 05/30/15 at 19:11:20

Syd,  I've never watched that but I think I've seen the DVD in the store in the past.  It's not on here in Dallas but I do think I found it on you tube for anyone who wants to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20SGyhLuSc

Lon,  Sun Ra is something else.  He can sound like an ordinary Big Band from the 60's or some wacky intergalactic hodge podge of noises.  I've got a couple of CDs of his music but haven't listened to it in years...not a favorite.  I wish there was more John Gilmore outside of his playing with Sun Ra.

This LP reissue now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlhwPXpfSoc

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8213 - 05/30/15 at 19:35:09

I probably have 100 Sun Ra discs. Smiley

Right now, last disc before heading out to Lucy's and off the net.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8214 - 05/30/15 at 20:05:45

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8215 - 05/30/15 at 20:16:01

Thanks Mark, I watched 30 mins and thought it wasn`t a BBC made docu, still it looks good.

Side one of this so far. Interesting and dense...ish

I saw Sun-Ra at a fest. Cant really remember him but think he laid down some blues riffs.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8216 - 05/30/15 at 20:43:41

This original 1964 Stereo issue...Sounds great

PS...So Syd, you've taken out those ribbon speaker cables and put in the WE 16g wire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlRsvurx3UI

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8217 - 05/30/15 at 21:06:23

I`ve got the WE16g speaker leads in Mark. Quite enjoying them, theres not a difference where you think " They really sound different" And if they did it wouldn`t be better or worse. They sound right, kinda tubey. For about $30 and 5 minutes with a pair of snips to strip the sheaths off you cant go wrong.
The ribbon cables are on a coat hook in my cupboard. And they still have their `film can` cannister.

Digging this one of the bat.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8218 - 05/30/15 at 21:32:41

Syd,  I might have to try the we wire.  Are you trying the interconnects with Belden wire?

I have that album on CD.  Haven't listened to it in years but with those two headlining you know it's good.  It also has one of my favorite pianists...Tommy Flanagan.

Time for Mingus....an 80's reissue of this album...Mingus is quite vocal on this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaM-XSA_m0s

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8219 - 05/30/15 at 21:54:13

I cant find Belden wire anywhere Mark, not the two that are reccomended in the Belden thread. I`m going to make a pair of i/c`s with the WE. Oh, if you get the wire it`s cloth covered so just a bit trickier to bare the wires. I ended up buying a pair of adjustable wire strippers. Grip`n`rip lol
I might hold fire on the i/c`s and have another look for the Belden.

This is lovely. Beautiful recording. ojc

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8220 - 05/30/15 at 22:21:15

Syd,  early on I read some of that wire thread then did a search for reviews and found some disparaging comments so didn't look further.  But all the raves from Deware folks have me wondering.  I've only had a handful of listening sessions with the Nanotech cables loaned to me by another Decware member...for purchase if I like them.  Well, I've really enjoyed them in the Cave.  I have a different pair I need to try before the Omegas are sent to the bench and the HR-1s brought back in to play.

So Syd, you like the $30 WE wire more than your expensive cables?  Is your description of the WE as warm but detailed with good bass?  I'd like to hear people who try double runs per speaker.  That's how the Nanotechs are constructed.

This Music Matters 45 RPM Blue Note reissue now...wonderful...

IP Logged
Dave1210
Seasoned Member

Reply #8221 - 05/30/15 at 22:41:09

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8222 - 05/30/15 at 23:11:14

Dave,  I don't think I've heard that one.

Now another recent HPB&Rs purchase.  This is an album I owned when about age 13.  This was back when BS&Ts and Chicago were both popular...I still like the horn laden pop/rock sound.  Especially the Laura Nyro tune. Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ym7_dmP9j8

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8223 - 05/30/15 at 23:31:34

Mark, Wills` trying a double run on the Belden thread. I have 25ft more of the WE coming any day so could try it as a double run. However I have found so far that a pair run in parallel is how I like the single pairs, so have each pair  joined along their length with small pieces of heat shrink every 4". I can still put a twist in them if I want but have found that untwisted they sound best. As an afterthought I imagined a double run configured as a double helix....+ve`s twisted....-ve`s twisted and then twist both together. It`s easy to get overcomplicated.
At the moment they sound well balanced. Bass in not lacking, treble is not lacking and mids good. They have good presence. Records with good stereo are a touch better...more width. Detail is good  but not dry. All in all you dont think too much unless you notice them doing something better. Albums sound involving.
Detail again. I was listening to side two of Bitches brew and I heard a conversation which went on for 20 seconds. I havent heard that before. It was around 9:30 so could have been someone in the garden next door but I imagined it to be on the album.
I heard some other details as well.....Hendrix E. Ladyland 1983 I could hear the way his guitar was using a spacial recording technique by the air it was in.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8224 - 05/31/15 at 00:00:04

Well Syd,  I'm thinking I might buy 40 feet of each the Black and Red so I could try single and double runs of 10 feet for each terminal.  That'd still be under $100 at his increased price. Just thinking out loud.  For now I'll stick with Steve's DSR II interconnects but I'll be listening for impressions on the Belden wire.

Listening to this 1976 reissue.  I almost bought the Speakers Corner reissue of Ella's Cole Porter and Rodgers & Hart Songbooks but decided not to when I read a review that said both had significant sibilance.  Listening now I can hear how if this got the "Audiophile" hyped up detail/treble that this might happen.  The 70's/80's reissues all sound pretty good.  I have some originals but they are much noisier.  The CD reissues are OK too.  The other thing was each two LP set would cost $70...why pay that if sibilance would irritate me.

I bought 16 reissues from Speakers Corner, MFSL, Music Matters and Pure Pleasure. I took advantage of the Memorial Day sale to get a 12% discount.  Mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdg8dI5nWFI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrhhoHNQ8d4

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8225 - 05/31/15 at 00:56:27

Getting Monk-y with this Impex reissue...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zriS77PCaTk

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8226 - 05/31/15 at 01:25:58

Another Impex reissue...LP #1 of this 2 LP set...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdhGk7gKuZxaKrgmV430SCgOLKeaoIKSQ

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8227 - 05/31/15 at 02:16:09

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8228 - 05/31/15 at 02:46:03

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8229 - 05/31/15 at 03:02:14

Pulled this one out after watching a bit of the HoF ceremony for SRV.

jm.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8230 - 05/31/15 at 04:20:37

And now cranking it up a bit.  :)

srv.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8231 - 05/31/15 at 13:12:22

One CD before "Sunday Morning" on CBS...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8232 - 05/31/15 at 17:27:50

Now the 4th CD of this box...only two more than I'll start on the Keystone Box...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8233 - 05/31/15 at 20:09:16

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8234 - 05/31/15 at 21:08:14

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8235 - 06/01/15 at 00:38:34

Hard soul..

alshakes_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8236 - 06/01/15 at 15:06:58

This box set has great sound, is really well compiled, and has an awesome booklet. The music is timeless, Fats was one of a kind and remains one of the giants.

Disc 3

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8237 - 06/01/15 at 19:49:39

Fascinating sound to this album, and this new Japanese reissue cd delineates this further than other cd releases I've heard. Wow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8238 - 06/01/15 at 20:35:58

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8239 - 06/01/15 at 21:29:53

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8240 - 06/01/15 at 22:46:43

Crank the volume on this one!

crack2.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8241 - 06/01/15 at 23:37:11

I love this set, transcriptions of Beethoven symphonies for piano. So much to hear each time I spin this.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8242 - 06/02/15 at 00:57:12

Nice unfamiliar artists spinning tonight.

Wtopley.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8243 - 06/02/15 at 01:09:14

Great sound on this "Best of" disc. It hardly gets better than Ella and Gershwin.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8244 - 06/02/15 at 02:47:05

In the Cave until 10:00.  This is LP#1 of three from a recent ebay purchase...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8245 - 06/02/15 at 03:21:56

LP #2 of this...Saturday Night...

PS...Wyton Kelly and Hank Mobley are wonderful on this... wish this setet recorded more...sextet

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8246 - 06/02/15 at 13:44:29

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8247 - 06/02/15 at 19:19:56

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8248 - 06/03/15 at 00:36:09

A few LP's last nite...

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8249 - 06/03/15 at 21:06:17

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 165 166 167 ... 512
Send Topic Print