Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #850 - 06/26/11 at 19:08:42

I often find myself reaching for Bill Evans music on Sunday.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #851 - 06/26/11 at 22:51:45

RVG edition

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #852 - 06/26/11 at 23:30:38

I wish I liked Jazz, you all look like you are having a wonderful time with it. I've tryed several times, my little brain just doesn't find it pleasing. I was raised around loud things, subtlety doesn't work for me.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #853 - 06/26/11 at 23:51:19

There's plenty of loud jazz too! I'm listening to one right now that's loud and raucous and discordant and silly and wild.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #854 - 06/27/11 at 01:12:10

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #855 - 06/27/11 at 19:55:12

More loud jazz. . . .

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #856 - 06/27/11 at 23:42:58

For some reason this plays real loud, no input voltage problems at all.
I might have to turn my Torii down for the first time since my ZDAC spit up blood and died.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #857 - 06/28/11 at 02:54:09

R-men I Thought About You. Amazing recording.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #858 - 06/28/11 at 13:18:49

On a music board that Foo Fighters cd is referred to as being one of the biggest "loudness war" salvos. Mastered as compressed and loud as possible according to some.  I haven't heard it.

Right now, continuing my Prince kick.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #859 - 06/29/11 at 00:05:28

I can remember the time in my life when "White Punks on Dope" was the coolest thing that there was. Now it serves just to remind myself of that time in the late 70's when a silly song seemed cool. And a certain girl named Cindy who I haven't seen in 25 years. Music is funny that way, full of what if's and why not's.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #860 - 06/29/11 at 01:50:51

I always hated the Tubes! I've been known to leave the room or party if one of their albums hit the turntable back in the day! Smiley

Right now, more loud jazz, and loudly:

The AMAZING Tony Williams!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #861 - 06/29/11 at 02:04:24

Lon,
That brings up a great question, What WON'T be spinning? My hatred of Led Zeppelin has no known bounds. And I haven't really heard but maybe 50 good albums since 1990.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #862 - 06/29/11 at 02:54:15

Well, I actually like Led Zeppelin, though probably not a majority of the catalog, but right now, this sounds great:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #863 - 06/29/11 at 03:24:17

I've heard hundreds of great albums made in the last twenty years, but not many pop and rock albums. I'm a fan of more African-American music that doesn't fall in those fields. Jazz, blues, soul. And I've become a big fan of Brazilian music. One example of an artist whose work from the last two decades I adore is Ed Motta, another Paula Morelenbaum.

I don't hate Led Zeppelin, I actually really like all of them through Physical Grafitti, but I don't listen to them much. Never did warm up to the last two or three albums.

Much of what won't be playing in my home is a lot that was on the radio from the eighties til now. My main collection is material not on the radio.

Right now, the former Mrs. Miles Davis.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #864 - 06/29/11 at 12:09:51

Challenging stuff, but worth the effort. Nice sound compared to previous issues; these inexpensive European box sets from BS/SN all sound excellent.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #865 - 06/29/11 at 18:19:26

Lon, your post has me intrigued. Betty Davis flew right under my radar. So, how do you like that album? Any others you would recommend?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #866 - 06/29/11 at 18:53:34

Betty Mabry is a beautiful beautiful woman who started as a model and became a singer/songwriter and came to Miles Davis' attention and he married her and they were happy briefly. She was on the cover of one of his first "electric" albums, and there's a tune on that, Madamoiselle Mabry, named after her. She became known as Betty Davis after her marriage, I guess they figured no one would mistake her for the movie star. Smiley

There's a lot of hard to verify information about the breakup of their marriage out there, I don't know what the truth is. She was friends with Jimi Hendrix and his crowd of NYC girlfriends like Stella Davis and Collette Mimram who were fashion mavens and boutique store owners and dressed Jimi and then Miles in the hippest threads. She turned Miles onto Jimi's music, supposedly, as well as other music such as Sly Stone that became big inspiration for Miles' electric period that followed. Rumor is that Jimi and Betty were doing things together that Miles didn't approve of, but I don't know the factuality of that. Miles had a bit of a hand in Betty's first release though, which was made after the marriage, so it wasn't a severely acrimonious break up.

There were only three officially released in the seventies, and one released a few years ago finally officially for the first time.

This is the first one, probably the best in some ways. Better produced, arguably better material. Very funky and in your face lyrically.

the second one featured her road band which was a cooking raw and funky unit. I really like the guitarist, who definitely took the Jimi style into funk territory and got down hard with it. This album is rawer and raunchier.

The third was her 'seventies swan song, a slicker, more produced album that still has a lot of grit and sex oozing out of it, most of the same band with others on board, I like it a lot.

Finally a small record label called Light in the Attic put out the first two as cd reissues and they're sonically superior to any other release and beautiful digipaks. They then a few years ago put out Nasty Girl and this nnew one, the first time it was released, though it had been bootlegged several times in the eighties and nineties:

This one is most like the third one, probably the weakest but still something I like to listen to.

I think she's a fascinating woman, who remains a beauty though she dropped out of the limelight at the close of the seventies, disillusioned with the music industry and not wanting to become the victim of this or that. She was strikingly beautiful during her career and with a huge presence. If you're interested in checking her out I'd recommend the first one, and the Light in the Attic lp or cd version.

This photo is from Jimi's funeral, Miles with Betty on his left and Jimi's gal Devon Wilson on his right.

Betty photos

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #867 - 06/29/11 at 19:01:42

Light in the Attic page for Betty:

http://lightintheattic.net/artists/6-betty-davis

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #868 - 06/29/11 at 19:09:20

Wow! Mother lode. Thanks Lon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #869 - 06/29/11 at 22:34:13

You're welcome.

Now

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #870 - 06/29/11 at 23:48:48

Southside Johnny. I've got the fever tonght, fellow babies!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #871 - 06/30/11 at 01:35:09

Just like the sun, the Rainbow Children rise

(Prince)

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #872 - 06/30/11 at 01:59:57

Holy crap! How many Prince albums are there? I only have a couple. But then again I have everything from C. W. McCall, why? I have no idea.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #873 - 06/30/11 at 02:04:44

There's a lot of Prince albums, he's been recording since the late 'seventies. I like a lot of them an awful lot. I just love the irreverence in his music, and the fact that he's like a historian of black music. And one of my favorite guitarists.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #874 - 06/30/11 at 12:01:42

Fantastic session! From the new Black Saint/Soul Note box set from Europe. Long live amazon.fr

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #875 - 06/30/11 at 14:02:52

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #876 - 06/30/11 at 21:36:55

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #877 - 07/01/11 at 12:39:21

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #878 - 07/01/11 at 21:04:13

HDTracks just released a snootful of hi-res albums, including Hotel California, Running on Empty, No Secrets, Tutu, Chicago II and others. I have most of these on DVD Audio, but their availability as downloads is encouraging.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #879 - 07/01/11 at 21:49:32

Cool. Glad those of you that like to download have some more quality choices.

Right now, the cd from this book/cd combo that I got for about six dollars total. . . . Quite a deal. My Prince exploration continues.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #880 - 07/01/11 at 22:52:16

For some reason this is playing. I guess I put it on, but for the life of me I don't ever remember buying it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #881 - 07/01/11 at 23:18:43

I forgot how good this cd sounds. I haven't heard it in a while, and now that the PS Audio Premier seems broken in and the ERRs have quite a few hours on them. . . well I was astonished at the deep bass and the crisp and fast guitars, and the clarity of Cassandra's lovely mid-rangey voice. The Muddy Waters tune just sounded so so good I played it three times in a row.

Then I moved onto this, which is like a breath of mountain air at the end of a perfect day. This cd, partly recorded in Jobim's home studio, is a beautiful chill pill. The music is just so lovingly recreated. It may not be entirely jazz, but it has elements of jazz, and chamber music, and it's all Jobim to the hilt, and it just seduces me every time. I love the sound of Paula's voice with Jacques' cello and Ryuichi's playing of Tom's piano and the guitar of Paulo Jobim, Tom's son. There's even a harmony vocal by Ed Motta, who should be better known worldwide. Recommended, big time.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/morele...to-casa-w99842

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #882 - 07/01/11 at 23:59:18

Ok this is more like it. I at least remember buying this! Gregg sounds old and grizzled in this, not a bad thing in my view.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #883 - 07/02/11 at 00:11:33

Donnie, thumbs up on just about anything Allman, and Lon, thanks for both recs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #884 - 07/02/11 at 00:39:35

You're welcome.

Boy, the audio quality is a step down on this one, but the music is rockin' awesome.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #885 - 07/02/11 at 14:40:07

Blood on the Tracks. 'Nuff said.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #886 - 07/02/11 at 15:37:36

Yes. . . one of my big reissue wishes would be for an "official bootleg" of all the Blood on the Tracks sessions.

Right now

I'm telling you, one week in. . . I'm not sure how I lived without my PS Audio Power Plant Premier. OMG, it has really shown me what my system can do.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #887 - 07/02/11 at 19:22:33

I've been tearing apart my 1949 BSA racebike in my garage listening to this. The neighbors might be a little pissed at me, I'm playing it pretty loudly. The only real problem with that is that most of them are Lawyers, I had best turn it down a little.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #888 - 07/03/11 at 01:51:41

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #889 - 07/04/11 at 14:58:29

I woke up at 4:30 this morning and listened to this 3 times.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #890 - 07/04/11 at 16:04:39

You have my condolences. Smiley

Right now
SACD

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #891 - 07/04/11 at 19:36:52

And Lon you have mine.
Washed the fleet while listening to this. Again I"m not too sure that the neighbor's approve on my garage stereo's volume. I guess I'll know when Johnny Law shows and tells me to turn it down and a gun battle ensues.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #892 - 07/04/11 at 21:30:04

Just don't be the first to open fire!

Right now
Best I've ever heard this session sound, I have all the 24 bit lp facsimile Parker cds that Denon put out.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #893 - 07/05/11 at 23:58:53

I'm starting to really like these guys.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #894 - 07/06/11 at 14:15:15

Recorded the afternoon I was born!

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #895 - 07/12/11 at 09:00:32

Man they made Charlie look white on that album cover Shocked Huh

And:

on LP's ofcause.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #896 - 07/12/11 at 12:24:02

Such fantastic music!

I'm a Monk nut.

Right now

On expanded cd of course!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #897 - 07/12/11 at 22:24:35

I'm sitting on the beach on Dauphin Island Alabama listening to The Drive By Truckers. Life isn't too bad. The worst thing is that I'm listening to my Ipod through my Sennheiser ear buds. Shitty.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #898 - 07/13/11 at 12:38:46

Not a great recording, but great music!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #899 - 07/13/11 at 14:09:51

Such a great record!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 512
Send Topic Print