Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #8550 - 07/08/15 at 04:28:04

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8551 - 07/08/15 at 11:52:53

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8552 - 07/08/15 at 13:33:52

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8553 - 07/08/15 at 19:10:20

Lon wrote on 07/08/15 at 13:33:52:

Working on through this Powell box set. I used to think it sounded thin but that's not how it sounds on the system now. Even "controversial" Powell is great to hear. Love the power and majesty of his playing.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8554 - 07/08/15 at 21:04:21

Very interesting using a tuba for the bass.

bw2b.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8555 - 07/09/15 at 00:39:54

In the Cave for a while.  this Speakers Corner reissue first...very nice...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8556 - 07/09/15 at 01:01:31

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8557 - 07/09/15 at 01:11:06

Next...

ks.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8558 - 07/09/15 at 01:19:38

This Speakers corner reissue is the last of my recent purchase from Sound Stage Direct...I have to say speakers corner is a great reissue outfit.  The seven LPs from them in this batch are all well done in all respects.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8559 - 07/09/15 at 02:25:58

This is Art Pepper live in an LA club in the summer of 1981...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8560 - 07/09/15 at 03:18:39

Last one tonight. Fourth concert from this box set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8561 - 07/09/15 at 20:07:30

Excellent 3 cd set sampling ten years of great recordings on the Adventure Music label.

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8562 - 07/09/15 at 20:48:47

A few LP's last few nites...

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8563 - 07/10/15 at 01:21:50

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8564 - 07/10/15 at 01:25:36

Next...

pidgeon.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8565 - 07/10/15 at 02:36:40

And an old favorite..

strawbs.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8566 - 07/10/15 at 12:21:43

IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8567 - 07/10/15 at 17:29:14

last nites LP's

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8568 - 07/10/15 at 22:45:57

lreed.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8569 - 07/11/15 at 01:11:42

In the Cave.  I popped a pair of Sylvania gold brand triple Mica Gray plate Gold Pin 5751s into the ZP3, replacing a pair of Sylvania Triple mica Black Plate 5751s.  The 12AU7 spot is filled by a Triple mica RCA black Plate 5814.   When these showed up in an email, I thought they couldn't be what I thought they were...they each had a starting bid of 29.99 and had failed to get even one bid on two prior auctions.  I have bought numerous times from this same seller.  These tested strong, most of the print is gone and the gold pins only have a hint of gold left.  In her description she didn't mention they were gold brand nor that they have gold pins,  maybe that's why they didn't attract attention.  Regardless the price was right for these wonderful tubes that normally go for more than $100 ea. NOS.  Here's Joe's Tube Lore description...

Sylvania Gold Brand grey plate gold pin - OK, this is the legend. When people talk wantonly about the famous Sylvania Gold Brand 5751 gold pins this is the tube they are referring to. Does it measure up to the hype? Well by and large, yes. To my ears it is the the 2nd or 3rd best 5751 ranking up there with the Sylvania & GE black plates. Its strength is its midrange, but it may also be its weakness. The mids here are full, lush, tangible and maybe (just maybe) a trifle overblown. Occasionally i find the lush full vocals obscure just a bit of detail and reduce transparency slightly, but the mids are so lush I could understand how you might not care. The tube also has a measure of life and vibrancy, similar to the Sylvania's black plates and it also has a bit of the forwardness that's seems to be endemic to Sylvanias in the 5751 family. I've lived with this tube enough to know I could use it quite happily, though that would be in the context of a fairly neutral system where its own colorations would not go over the top.

They sound great in the current setup in the Cave. They seem to be a bit more warm...less edgy with less emphasis of treble compared to their black Plate, steel pin brother.  The difference isn't huge but is very noticable and pleasing...these LPs have been played...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8570 - 07/11/15 at 01:25:21

This Speakers Corner reissue...mmmm...I think next it's time for some Frank...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8571 - 07/11/15 at 02:00:33

I decided I needed some Bill... opened this sealed baby...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8572 - 07/11/15 at 02:40:53

This next a MFSL reissue...my battery is almost dead, so this will be my last entry...good night.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8573 - 07/11/15 at 12:13:41

Decided to drink my Coffee in the Cave since it's already cool...air conditioning for the bedrooms is on all night.  Starting with side 3 of the Mosaic Shorty Rogers Box...which is this...nice west coast players...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8574 - 07/11/15 at 12:23:27

Continuing with music from this LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8575 - 07/11/15 at 12:45:30

Next, a little Van the Man.  I really like the Sylvania Triple mica Grey plate 5751s I put in the ZP3 yesterday.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8576 - 07/11/15 at 13:26:37

This now...an OJC Vinyl reissue of a 1960 session...The new 5751s make the guitar just gorgeous.  I'm emailing the seller to see if she has anymore she hasn't listed.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8577 - 07/11/15 at 14:21:38

Just had to see how these new 5751s treat the Velvet Fog...nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8578 - 07/11/15 at 15:17:06

Next is this original purchased from my Decware friend, Mike, who's been so helpful in countless ways during my audio journey.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8579 - 07/11/15 at 18:33:51

Back in the Cave until about 4:15.  Everything is sounding so good today.  The new tubes love Keith Jarrett... The seller is going to look in her tube inventory to see if she has more.  I'd like at least one backup pair for the ZP3. The number of 12AX7s and 12AU7s and alternatives I have is getting a bit crazy...well, I passed Crazy a longtime ago.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8580 - 07/11/15 at 19:16:41

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8581 - 07/11/15 at 19:55:04

Next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8582 - 07/11/15 at 19:58:46

Hey Syd,  I just won a NM copy of this on ebay...$9.95 plus $4 shipping.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8583 - 07/11/15 at 20:01:40

The new tubes sound good Mark. I`ve been up and down the hospital all week since my mum took a tumble. She`s ok and the rest is doing her good. Should be back early next week. So I`ve not been having a play, preferring to sit in front of the telly in the few hours I have.
I`ll have a play this evening, about an hours time after I watch the cricket highlights.....

ps
How did you do that Mark. I`d posted and you...... Smiley
The Int/play sessions is one I`ve been on the trail of....

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8584 - 07/11/15 at 20:15:03

Syd,  I have email alerts set up for some of my favorites...Bill Evans is one.  So each morning I get a list of newly listed auctions for Bill Evans Vinyl.  I rarely spend much time hunting anymore.  I just save interesting items to my watch list and try to bid at the end of the auction.  If it ends when I'll be asleep, I put in a bid and usually don't win.  This particular item, I was the only bidder.  To tell you the truth though,  most times I forget to place a bid.  Mark.

PS...hope your Mom feels better.  "How did I do that?"...I saw you were on the site, so I posted my find.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8585 - 07/11/15 at 20:34:42

Next LP #2 of 2...this is Jim Hall and Bill Evans only...it's actually the Verve album "Intermodulation", of which I have an original but it's rather noisy despite receiving a high grade from the seller...a recurring problem.  This one was sealed and is still noisier than I expected.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8586 - 07/11/15 at 21:14:26

I have some  albums arriving next week Mark..all new and not my usual fare.
Warming the amps up with el carlos.

Keep It Hid - 2 DISC SET - Dan Auerbach (2009, Vinyl New)
Round About Midnight - Miles Davis (2013, Vinyl New) 180gm Vinyl
In Session - Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan  (2011, Vinyl New)
American Beauty - Grateful Dead (2011, Vinyl New) 180gm Vinyl
Empyrean Isles - Herbie Hancock (2015, Vinyl New)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8587 - 07/11/15 at 21:17:52

A nice reissue of this one...

PS...Syd,  I finally bought the Speakers corner reissue of Santana's Caravanserai...it's better than my original copy.  I'll play it next to see how the new tubes like it.

PSS...Syd,  just noticed your list.  I have all but the first on CD and/or Vinyl.  I think you'll be pleased.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8588 - 07/11/15 at 21:35:48

Had to end Monk after one side so I could listen to all of this...have to vacate the Cave in 40 minutes...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8589 - 07/11/15 at 21:40:34

I got this one new/sealed v/nice

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8590 - 07/11/15 at 21:47:35

Syd,  when you mentioned that album not long ago, I looked for my CD copy with no luck.  Too many boxes full of music...I need Lon to come unpack and organize my "Collection".  I use that word loosely since it implies some semblance of order...hehe.  I haven't heard it for over 15 years, what's it like.  Is it worth picking up a vinyl copy?  Mark.

PS...When that fourth Santana track starts...aahhh...like being on a warm beach feeling the breeze wash over me...the new tube loves this one too..

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8591 - 07/11/15 at 22:37:45

It`s a nice album Mark. There are 3 or 4 slots where Bill gets to solo. I remember the last one which was typical Bill. Trickles and nearly double note stops. The last solo made it all worth while. The rest of the band flow along just fine.
I`m going to cue Caravanserai up after this and call it a night.
I can hear the crickets (cicadas even) calling me.  8-)

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8592 - 07/12/15 at 01:12:08

Nice quiet listen..

emma_Nic.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8593 - 07/12/15 at 03:55:14

Next..

er.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8594 - 07/13/15 at 02:29:47

No music posted today?...Really?  Well I'm in the Cave for an hour maybe a little more.  This Art Pepper LP first...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8595 - 07/13/15 at 04:13:11

Just finished sides 3 and 4 of this one...it has Chuck Israels in place of Scott LaFaro on Bass.  This music is just lovely.

While listening, I've been driving myself a little Crazy reading the Torii Jr. thread.  Somehow I feel like I've spent the better part of two years trying to get less resolution, transparency and detail from my system.  I feel like I'm almost there. The words in the Torri Jr. thread all sound wonderful but I wonder if increased "resolution" might be just what I've been trying to rid myself of in favor of more warmth, less treble and an overall pleasant musicality.  Plus, where would I put it...I guess it could replace the Zen Signature Monoblocks...nah...forget it...they aren't ever leaving my house.  I have to get up early for work.  I hope I don't have Decware nightmares...hehe.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8596 - 07/13/15 at 12:37:18

I hear you Mark. On top of that I have to divest myself of a lot of equipment I love and I feel sad about it. I'm in between dwellings right now. I wish Steve all the success with the new amp but it seems moving in a direction that I don't need to go.

No music for me today other than the classical music station in the cargo van.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8597 - 07/13/15 at 14:46:12

Lon,  with me, I like just listening and the Gear and changes are a necessary evil...if i'm honest, I really don't enjoy it.  So the years of very slow incremental changes and the current gains are something I don't want to give up.  Starting over makes me cringe.  If I had a good place for a third system then I would go for it but I don't.  

When you begin to unload some of your gear, let me know and I'll try to help.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8598 - 07/13/15 at 15:46:44

I too really only want incremental changes to one evolving system, and I wish it would stop evolving. . . .The resolution thing I see as a non-issue with Redbook via my sources, I find the flexibility and innate refined sound of the Torri Mk III to reveal more and more as cabling etc. improve. It's at a point where listening is a joy and that's a great point to be in.

I think in the past I was seeking from a new amp what I get now with power treatment and excellent cabling.

Unforntunately when I set all my components up on my Samson V. 3 rack and before I plugged all cabling in yesterday I turned on my PS Audio P5 and it wouldn't initiate. So I'm going to have to send it in to the shop and I'll have to put my Power Plant Premier back in and it's going to be a while before I sit down with my system. But I have about three more days of hauling stuff around in a cargo van and cleaning up to do so I am just going to have to suck it up and continue without the solace of tunes. I set up the TV and Blu-ray and DVR, and with AC-12 cables and PS Audio Power Bases even the TV sound is excellent and the picture is out of this world. So Lucy will be happy and I'll get through til I can get the system back up, maybe this weakend.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8599 - 07/13/15 at 21:34:59

Mark, I too have been following the Junior thread with great interest. Every post Steves made has been ticking my boxes to the point where I wanted to beat Stone to No 1 model. lol in my dreams...
I`m pretty sure I`ll be ordering one. New skool UL trannies. It`s happening.
Of course the Rachaels will be there for many sessions. They are sweet, punchy, detailed ( I`ve yet to hear another Decware p/amp ) everything I yearned for in p/amps. I`m a very happy camper but I do believe the Junior is going to let me have another piece of Decware heaven.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 170 171 172 173 174 ... 512
Send Topic Print