Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1826079 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #8600 - 07/14/15 at 00:40:36

OK...Back in the Cave and I've put Grover Huffman EX interconnects in place between the CSP3 and Torii MK IV.  I also am trying the record stabilizer.  I'm playing sides 1 and 2 of the same set I ended with last night.  I've never heard it before so I can't make any judgement about the changes.  Plus my audio memory is horrible but I can say that what I'm hearing sounds nice.  I'll give them time to settle but at this point I honestly can't say they are better or worse than the Decware DSR IIs with upgraded connectors that they replaced....to be continued...

PS...Syd, I'm looking forward to hearing first impressions from Decware members once they get their Torii Jrs.  The introductory offer and additional 10% off is tempting to a bargain hunter like me but for now I'll pass.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8601 - 07/14/15 at 00:40:54

After Steve's comment about the trunk-open-Monte Carlo...I just had to put this one on..

stramp.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8602 - 07/14/15 at 00:59:08

Next is this Music Matters  33 RPM reissue.  This is one of the Hotter Blue Notes...Art Blakey's Cymbals sizzle.  I remembered that I have two stereo outputs on my CSP3 so I can connect the DSR II interconnects and do A/B comparisons at some point.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #8603 - 07/14/15 at 01:17:23

this one sounds wonderful!

20150712_105202.jpg

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8604 - 07/14/15 at 01:48:27

Next is this original LP I picked up at HPB&Rs on my way home from work today.  I already have this but where?...who knows.  In High School I had a few Kenny Rankin albums and loved his unique style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSRNm1KWeVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6OO11x2C6Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx2tcDivhhk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTPvEnU0dTY

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8605 - 07/14/15 at 02:56:58

This LP next...

I've set up both the Grover Huffman interconnects and the DSR IIs so I can a/b them with a flick of the Torii selector switch.  So far I can't tell any notable difference.  I'll continue to compare them this week and maybe this weekend put the Grovers between the ZP3 and the CSP3 where a pair of Zu Audio Gede interconnects now reside.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8606 - 07/14/15 at 03:06:11

This is another from HPB&Rs this morning...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8607 - 07/14/15 at 03:51:12

This is a Music Matters Blue note reissue...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8608 - 07/14/15 at 21:34:51

Is the Matador album good Mark? I haven`t played any G.Green for some weeks.

This is plenty good.

I didn`t know Albert smoked a pipe.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8609 - 07/14/15 at 22:00:44

"Matador" is awesome. Grant with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones of the Coltrane Quartet, and Bob Cranshaw, long-time Sonny Rollins bass player.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8610 - 07/14/15 at 22:10:46

Thank Lon.

This is the Columbia `6 eye` reissue.
Superb.
It says mono but is so full you dont realise it.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8611 - 07/14/15 at 22:15:53

Yes, Mono for this title is preferable to the "electronically re-channeled for stereo" Lps and cds of this title. Love the music.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8612 - 07/14/15 at 23:22:16

Syd,  about the Miles Davis and Grant Green LP...ditto what Lon said.  I think I've got all the Columbia Mono LP reissues with Coltrane in the studio and i also have all the 33RPM reissue from MFSL.  I actually prefer the MFSLs...they are a bit smoother.

The Music Matters Blue Note 33 RPM series is great at $35 each.  I buy them as they are released.  I haven't bought the Andrew Hill or Eric Dolphy yet though.  I need to convince myself that I'll enjoy them.  The three Grant Green reissues in the series are all winners...Idle Moments, Matador and Green Street, so far. Below I've given you their site to see what's available and what's coming soon. You should pick up the ones you like before they go out of print.  https://www.musicmattersjazz.com/

I have a lot of the 45 RPM but they probably aren't as good a value as the 33 RPMs...I bought most on sale.  I assume most of the titles on 45 RPM will be reissued on 33 RPM since this cheaper series is more popular and I think the sonics are the same or better.

Next, how many LPs do you clean with each bath of solution?  I haven't opened mine but as I recall the dirt is supposed to drop to the bottom.  

I'll try to get to the Cave later.  Mark.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8613 - 07/15/15 at 00:37:08

Next...

toad.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8614 - 07/15/15 at 01:26:31

In the Cave.  This LP first...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8615 - 07/15/15 at 02:12:16

This Rhino-Vinyl reissue...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8616 - 07/15/15 at 02:49:18

Mellow again...

ewen.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8617 - 07/15/15 at 02:54:55

this is a recent Music matters blue note reissue.  One of Art Blakey's best lineups...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8618 - 07/15/15 at 03:38:38

Next LP...

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8619 - 07/15/15 at 13:14:48

The Music Matters 33rpm series are a good price Mark, and I`d buy some. Postage costs though is where the deal falls through but I`ll check out a couple to see. I have a few of the titles on the Bluenote label so I guess MM are just making their own from the tape masters aka MFSL. Yes a good price and superior no doubt.

I make up a litre of solution and do around 20 discs before returning the fluid to the container through the gauze provided which catches the sediment. Then rinse with good quality purified water if you aren`t using a vacuum.  The rack holds so many discs so I`ll have a lot just leaning against the wall etc.
I`ll keep using the fluid, giving it a good shake up first. I love bubbles lol. I suppose a litre will do 100 but you might add a drop of concentrate just to get the bubbles back when you think fit.
The rinsing water always starts of good with no traces or streaks left.
When you notice some streaking it might be a good idea to change the water. After a while ( 4-500 discs )I had the vacuum idea which leaves no streaks every time. And it`s just handy for when you get graded records through the post which are a bit dirty.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8620 - 07/15/15 at 22:03:33

Next..

workofart.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8621 - 07/15/15 at 22:46:52

Syd,  I have vendors from which I buy new European reissues from ORG, Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure to name a few.  I pay no postage with an  order of $99 at a few and $49 at one.  Don't you have a UK vendor that imports US made reissues like MFSL and Music Matters? It would be a shame to miss out on these wonderful Blue Note reissues.  More when I get to the Cave later.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8622 - 07/16/15 at 00:38:01

In the Cave...put the Grover interconnects in between the ZP3 and CSP3.

I learned from further reading that Sylvania did make Steel pinned  triple mica grey plate 5751s that are more common than the gold pinned version.  With the black plates they are all steel pinned.  Whatever, they both sound great.  I do want to find out if the pins are the only difference.  It may be that the military ones got steel pins and consumer "Gold Brand" got gold pins...not sure. If I find out I'll share.  

After more reading, I've found that indeed, the Mil Spec triple mica Grey Plate versions had steel pins and the consumer "Gold Brand" had gold pins but otherwise are the same tube internally.  So I think the Grey plate mil spec version with steel Pins is a bargain compared to the gold pin grey or the black plate version.  I'll buy more when I see them.

The Herbies Record Stabilizer isn't as much of a PITA as I thought it'd be.  Not sure if it improves things though.

I need to cool the changes for a while.  My brain needs time to assimilate...or should I say catch up with the changes.

This first...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8623 - 07/16/15 at 01:04:35

This 45 RPM Music Matters Blue Note reissue...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8624 - 07/16/15 at 01:19:19

Next..

acohen.jpg
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8625 - 07/16/15 at 01:51:32

Whoa Cowboy,  this LP sounds incredible.  So is it the new Sylvania 5751 tubes, the record stabilizer, the Grover interconnects?  I can't remember if I played this since the Nanotec speaker wire was in place.  Regardless,  things are sounding fantastic in the Cave...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8626 - 07/16/15 at 02:35:17

Another 45 RPM Music Matters Blue Note reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8627 - 07/16/15 at 03:16:04

Next will be this rather hot recording,  Let's see how the recent combo of changes handle it.  My battery is near dead, so good night.  Mark.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8628 - 07/16/15 at 21:17:10

Bluenote reissue
First venture into Herbie Hancock music
Nice

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8629 - 07/16/15 at 21:57:22

Another excellent reissue.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #8630 - 07/16/15 at 22:22:16

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8631 - 07/17/15 at 01:22:38

I've been wanting to listen to the vinyl reissue of Joni Mitchell's "Blue" all week but haven't been able to find it.  So tonight I only have an hour to listen before I watch "Wayward Pines", a very strange series on Fox.  Anyway, I digress,  I'm listening to "Blue" out of the cd box set via the zen monos, Jolida 100 and Souls...lovely.

Syd,  I think you'll come to love the blue note Herbie Hancock and Wayne Shorter output...especially what they did around the same time they were with Miles.  Good Stuff.

And American Beauty is a good one to wind down with.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8632 - 07/17/15 at 01:37:59

A little more Joni..."Court And Spark".

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8633 - 07/17/15 at 02:25:00

Artist new to me...

hattie.jpg
  IP Logged
Ace-Tone
Seasoned Member

8+ years with
Decware gear and
Loving it!!!

Reply #8634 - 07/17/15 at 18:14:41

A few LP's last nite...

SE84UFO25, ZP3, Zstage, ZR2, ZSB, DM947, HERESY iii
VPI-Traveler2 +SS Zephyr MKIIIes.
Cambridge CXC. Schiit Bimby DAC
IC's Audio Envy, Decware, RAC-PC's, Mapleshade Dbl Helix+Spkr wires & jumpers
Blue Circle PLC FX2X0e, Herbies, GIK, PI Audio DIY treatment
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8635 - 07/18/15 at 13:59:22

So I saw the Brian Wilson movie - Love and Mercy the other night with friends. I've never really liked "The Beach Boys", their surf stuff being my only real exposure to them. But the night I saw the trailer for Love and Mercy (a few months back) I picked up Pet Sounds - which is also on the Rolling Stones top 500 albums. The album just blew my mind with what was going on there. After the movie my friends and I had a somewhat lengthy discussion about the movie, and the album SMiLE was brought up. They really didn't elaborate on that during the movie, and I'd honestly only heard about it in passing. So I grabbed a and sat down for a listen last night. I went through both the Beach Boys version and Brian Wilsons (not live) version. Again, blew my mind. The way he uses sound is amazing - I'm going to have to go back a few times and actually pay attention to the lyrics.

I've also had a fascination with this woman and the mountains of work she's done in the studio - someday I want to pick up one of the same types of amps she used to see what makes it tick.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8636 - 07/18/15 at 14:33:07

LR,  I have to admit I didn't know who Carol Kaye or "The Wrecking Crew" were until I did a google search of your image and read a little bit.  Over 10,000 recordings...amazing.

http://www.laweekly.com/music/carol-kaye-is-the-greatest-bass-player-you-probabl...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Kaye

https://www.carolkaye.com/

In the Cave and began with this original 1958 release...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8637 - 07/18/15 at 14:46:06

A real nice Pure Pleasure reissue of this Laura Nyro treasure...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8638 - 07/18/15 at 15:26:49

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8639 - 07/18/15 at 18:05:56

Another unfamiliar voice, Flo Morrissey...

flo.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8640 - 07/18/15 at 18:10:01

Alright. I can't seem to figure out how to attach more than one jpeg per post.
Any hints? Or is it not allowed?

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #8641 - 07/18/15 at 21:48:04

I assume while composing your post you are clicking on the "Insert Image" icon and and pasting your Photo URL between the img commands?

Repeat the process for each photo as below??

Main System: Oppo BDP-105D, SE84UFO amp, Omega Super Alnico Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 15's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
Room #2: Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CS amp, Omega Super 3i Monitors, Twin Custom SLAB 12's (Low Frequency Open Baffle).
DBC   IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8642 - 07/18/15 at 23:28:44

Actually I am posting them as jpeg type from the "Browse" bar and loading from my hard drive.
When I try and add the second it just replaces the first.
I suppose I can just add links instead though I can't always find a link to what I am trying to post.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8643 - 07/19/15 at 00:11:50

Blast from the past....

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #8644 - 07/19/15 at 01:33:11

And even further back...

Hard to believe I was listening to this in high school 45 years ago.
Music was changing rapidly during that time.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8645 - 07/19/15 at 14:11:56

It only seems to allow you to upload one image per post. But if you use the picture function or you can add more than one image.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #8646 - 07/19/15 at 16:45:06

Listening to some Isley brothers and Jimmy Scott's The Source.  I always listen twice when I put it on it's that good.

JD

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8647 - 07/19/15 at 16:50:10

This was recommended in the PS Audio forums - so I popped the $25 for the DSD64 copy. This hearkens back to a time when everything was recorded at once, they really didn't have multi-tracking yet. This sounds so good and personal, and good ambient cues. And I'm not even a real big fan of Elvis. It's good music though!

~Eric~

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8648 - 07/19/15 at 17:12:03

Time for one CD before getting ready to go to the musical production of "Crazy For You"...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8649 - 07/19/15 at 20:16:27

Re: The Source: yeah it is.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 ... 512
Send Topic Print