Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #9251 - 10/09/15 at 19:16:42

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9252 - 10/09/15 at 21:42:42

The system is just sounding amazing today. . . and I was starved to hear music today.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9253 - 10/09/15 at 22:27:09

Somehow I missed a few in the list.... #10

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9254 - 10/09/15 at 23:08:16

Number 5....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9255 - 10/09/15 at 23:42:55

Back to this one (latest Japanese reissue cd). So derivative of Coltrane, but has its own appeal. One of my favorite Lloyds outside of the Chico Hamilton group.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9256 - 10/10/15 at 01:14:45

Nunber 4......

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9257 - 10/10/15 at 12:26:03

Sippin' coffee and listening to Bill Evans and Jim Hall play..."Undercurrent" CD...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9258 - 10/10/15 at 13:45:54

Just played CD #1 of 2 of this...now I'll move to the Cave to spin some Vinyl...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9259 - 10/10/15 at 14:14:38

I ended my last session in the Cave with side two of this...starting today with side one of this wonderful LP still on the TT...

I have replaced the pair of Amperex 12AX7s I've been running in the ZP3 for a pair of Sylvania Gray Plate Steel pin Triple Mica 5751s...this is my second pair purchased...These have turned out to be my favorites...for now.  They are truly a bargain compared to the gold pin versions which are identical except for the pins and to the Black plate versions, which are a very close second favorite for the 12AX7 slots of the ZP3. These cost me $33 plus $4 shipping.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9260 - 10/10/15 at 14:24:45

This 45 RPM ORG reissue from the last Vinyl Buy...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9261 - 10/10/15 at 15:14:16

This LP next.  An original released in 1971...this copy from a recent HPB&R purchase.  I can remember playing this as a kid...I was 13 years old when it came out.  The multiple guitars and vocal harmonies really shine with Decware gear...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9262 - 10/10/15 at 15:39:25

This is the last of 6 reissue LPs recently bought from Elusive Disc, a Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissue...very nice.  It makes me want to find and play the Mosaic Box of Larry Young's Blue Note recordings which I bought and never listened to.  Mark.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9263 - 10/10/15 at 16:27:51

Number 3....

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9264 - 10/10/15 at 17:07:04

This is a Speakers Corner reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9265 - 10/10/15 at 17:17:11

Had to see what this old friend from 1978 sounds like with all the recent changes...fantastic.  I saw that ECM will be reissuing this album and some others soon on Vinyl.  I bought a Vinyl reissue of "Yesterdays" but that was previously only available on CD...I think.  In my opinion the Originals pressed in Germany or in the US by Warner Brothers are excellent and don't merit repurchase.  Stay away from the Polydor versions...I don't think the vinyl used is as quiet.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9266 - 10/10/15 at 18:27:12

This Music Matters 45 RPM Blue Note reissue now...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9267 - 10/10/15 at 21:00:46

Found two Masters of Jazz cds of Ellington I had been looking for cheap at Dusty Groove. Yay!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9268 - 10/11/15 at 12:32:01

Beginning my day with Coltrane.  I didn't realize until this morning, after looking at the booklet in this set, how many master takes are not included due to missing master tapes. I wish they had used the best available source rather than leaving important recordings off this set.  Anyway, I'm playing CD #2 which has mostly stuff from "Giant Steps" and a little from "Coltrane Jazz".  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9269 - 10/11/15 at 13:01:51

I'm not sure I understand (haven't looked at the booklet in years either). All the masterial is presented here. Maybe not from the very master tapes themselves, but the master takes are represented. The set sounds very good, I have it in both lp and cd configurations.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9270 - 10/11/15 at 13:58:54

Next, CD #5 of this Mosaic Live Basie set...

Lon, look at the booklet on the CD version of the Coltrane Atlantic Recordings.  The recordings are given in chronological order.  After each session a note is added stating what masters are missing from the set. For sessions covered by CD 2 there were 4 masters missing.  Now what I don't know is if the masters that ended up on the original LPs are missing or not since they don't tell us what masters were on the LPs and many of the tunes were recorded at more than one session.  All this music was recorded in less than two and a half years.  What I have is excellent....just wish I had it all...even the few tunes excluded because Coltrane didn't play on them. Mark.

PS...Lon,  it looks like I won't get the Denon player setup today.  I got a phone call from my Mom and it appears my day will be spent shopping and doing other odd jobs...oh well...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9271 - 10/11/15 at 16:08:03

Not sure I'll be able to locate and look at the booklet soon. . . but do you mean "masters" or do you mean "alternate takes", other selections recorded, etc. Anyway, what was released on lp originally is on the cds and lps on this set and though not my favorite Coltrane, it's awesome stuff.

Yes, I understand the changing of plans as all week what I planned for the day is not what happened in between Dad going into the hospital on Tuesday and this being the final week to get things cleared out of his house. But I did get to watch and listen through the amazing system Cassandra Wilson's Austin City Limits performance. HOLY COW. That was the best show I've seen in ages. Just a masterful performance and the sound was excellent as well.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9272 - 10/11/15 at 19:48:41

Lon,  wait a second...how come you didn't alert me to this concert?  When was it?  I may be able to catch it on line.

Well, as it turned out I didn't have to do the shopping and work that my Mom had planned for me.  She lives in one side of a duplex and rents the other side.  I was to go through the other side and see what light bulbs and other work needed to be done before a contractor could come in and make repairs prior to advertising for a new renter. It was no surprise when she called saying the old tenant had left in the night and had the utilities turned off.  She had just called all the utilities yesterday and was told that information could not be given about the account. Of course, now it is Sunday and she can not just have them transferred to her name from the tenant's name as she usually does.  The tenant was very secretive and when we went over last Saturday when he was supposed to be gone, we asked that we be allowed to examine the property for repairs that would have to be done, we were denied entry.  He told us we could do a walk through when he was ready to leave at which time he would turn over the keys and two garage door openers. Needless to say he hadn't paid any rent since August 1st.

Mom just called, she had gone through the house and there is a bunch of crap left, several doors kicked in, a kitchen cabinet door ripped off it's hinges, multiple burned out lights, damaged and non-working ceiling fans...and on and on...  I don't understand how people can be so irresponsible and do needless damage to other peoples property.

Oh well, at least I was able to set up the Denon player and I'm playing CDs in the Jolida and Denon.  So far I prefer the Jolida but I think the Denon is nearly brand new and needs some burn in.  It was spotless, the cord was obviously never unwrapped and used, the remote didn't have any fingerprints or marks on it...didn't even have batteries in it.  What kind of burn in time am I looking at, Lon?  The Jolida at this point is definitely a warmer player...yet very detailed...as detailed as the Denon, I think.  I have yet to play a SACD though.

This now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9273 - 10/11/15 at 20:04:29

Lon, on the Coltrane set...they list all takes with a master number.  If the tune is in the set they state in parenthesis if it is an alternate.  If it is not in the set all they give is a master number without stating if it was an alternate or not.

Moving on to some Dead in the Denon...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9274 - 10/11/15 at 21:08:22

OK. Well, to the best of my knowledge all the album tracks on the sets that are not alternates or unreleased orginally appeared on the original lps.

Rental properties are a real pain, and people who rent can be awful. Sorry!

As far as Denon breakin . . . I honestly think about 200 hours plus on Redbook and SACD each will get you a long way there, and after that it seasons still more. I love mine, though I don't see using it in the near future. . . a great transport in the machine and great as a DAC with other sources.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9275 - 10/11/15 at 21:11:53

mark58 wrote on 10/11/15 at 19:48:41:
Lon,  wait a second...how come you didn't alert me to this concert?  When was it?  I may be able to catch it on line.

Sorry, I didn't see it was going to be on til I visited her facebook page last night and set it up to record on the DVR. It is available online but if you can watch it on a tv screen and through the stereo via cable do it, it will be rebroadcast. . . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9276 - 10/11/15 at 22:07:46

Lon, I honestly was hoping this player had been used...broken in...but it's pretty clear this is a new unit.  It is definitely a quality unit, the CD drawer mechanism is the best  I've ever seen.  The Jolida's is loud and clunky by comparison. At this point I've got to watch the volume with the Denon...it's a bit painful otherwise...pretty sharp/bright.  But even without break in I can tell it's a nice sounding player but at this point the Jolida has it beat in smoothness and musicality.  I'll never get 200 hours Redbook on it in the Cave.  I'll have to move it to the second system in a few weeks where it will see more use.  It was almost unbearable to be in the Cave and not spinning Vinyl. Is there a way to open the drawer of the Denon with the remote?

I'll watch the concert on my laptop.  What cord would I need to use the DAC in the Denon A 100?  Another option would be to hook up the Taboo to my laptop as I often do and listen with the Audeze LCD 2 cans.

Rental property...don't get me started...  Mark.

Played this Joni CD followed now by the Bill Evans...CD #2 with the Denon...sounds very nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9277 - 10/11/15 at 22:26:01

Lon,  this is going to be a dumb question...If I don't have the Denon hooked up to anything and just play a CD/SACD on repeat for 200 hours would that break it in or do I have to have it connected to an Amp?  Do speakers or headphones need to be used?  How about if I put 8 ohm resistors across the speaker terminals on my Taboo and hook it up to the Denon and play at full volume with no speakers...would that work.  Anyone can answer my dumb questions.  Thanks in advance.  I'll read your answers later...I have to get ready to go out. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9278 - 10/11/15 at 22:32:37

My remote and the unit are fifty miles away in my climate controlled storage unit. . . I don't think you can eject a disc from the DCD-A100 using the remote. . . odd, but oh well.

That drive is a proprietary one developed by Denon, quite a work of art in comparison to off the shelf ones from Philips etc.

Can't you just leave a cd repeating in the unit for days? That'w what I've done to put hours onto them. I usually let a unit run a few days, turn it off a day, repeat a few times. The tonal balance will change for the better with hours.

I used to believe that coaxial digital was better than optical digital, but a well-made glass optical cable can even to my ears sound better than many coaxial ones. . . use whatever you have of the two into the "digital in."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9279 - 10/11/15 at 22:45:03

mark58 wrote on 10/11/15 at 22:26:01:
Lon,  this is going to be a dumb question...If I don't have the Denon hooked up to anything and just play a CD/SACD on repeat for 200 hours would that break it in or do I have to have it connected to an Amp?  Do speakers or headphones need to be used?  How about if I put 8 ohm resistors across the speaker terminals on my Taboo and hook it up to the Denon and play at full volume with no speakers...would that work.  Anyone can answer my dumb questions.  Thanks in advance.  I'll read your answers later...I have to get ready to go out. Mark.

Just saw this one. Yes, imo just running a disc on repeat will help get you through breakin.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9280 - 10/12/15 at 01:11:30

So Lon, to be clear...just running the CD Player without anything else on will break it in.  Correct?  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9281 - 10/12/15 at 11:20:10

mark58 wrote on 10/12/15 at 01:11:30:
So Lon, to be clear...just running the CD Player without anything else on will break it in.  Correct?  Mark.

Yes, in my ex[perience it works towards break in that way.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9282 - 10/12/15 at 12:02:47

Thanks Lon,  I just went into the Cave and started a CD in the Denon DCD A 100.  I find it odd that the complex remote does not have the function to open the drawer remotely but this is a very minor fault in a great product.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9283 - 10/12/15 at 15:50:14

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9284 - 10/12/15 at 20:16:30

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9285 - 10/12/15 at 20:25:02

Down to number 2.........

folder.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9286 - 10/12/15 at 21:18:40

And number 1, of course!
I'm not absolutely sure I would have voted this one number one, (it's possible) but it was probably THE prog album that got me started searching for more like it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9287 - 10/12/15 at 21:57:40

The Solid Records cd from Japan.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9288 - 10/13/15 at 00:25:06

Some from the same list that I could not find the first time through.... #40

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9289 - 10/13/15 at 12:38:30

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9290 - 10/13/15 at 14:51:17

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9291 - 10/13/15 at 20:10:34

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9292 - 10/13/15 at 21:47:39

Number 39 from the list......

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9293 - 10/13/15 at 21:57:24

Got another batch of Blue Note 75th anniversary SHM-CDs in from CDJapan today, thought I would be blue if they went OOP and I hadn't gotten them. I really like this series.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9294 - 10/13/15 at 23:49:10

The SHM-CD
I love the Duke Pearson tune "Say You're Mine" that opens this one up.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9295 - 10/14/15 at 00:33:31

Number 37....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9296 - 10/14/15 at 01:05:35

I found this as a Japanese reissue lately and love it. The amazing Hermeto Pascoal plays piano and flute and does the arranging.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9297 - 10/14/15 at 14:06:36

Next...

SM_fourth.jpg
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9298 - 10/14/15 at 21:56:05