Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #9301 - 10/15/15 at 14:05:39

New Japanese cd resissue

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9302 - 10/15/15 at 16:02:34

SACD

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9303 - 10/15/15 at 18:03:00

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9304 - 10/15/15 at 18:44:37

SHM-CD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9305 - 10/15/15 at 21:29:42

New Japanese cd reissue

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9306 - 10/15/15 at 21:54:25

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9307 - 10/15/15 at 23:17:13

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9308 - 10/16/15 at 01:21:06

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9309 - 10/16/15 at 14:10:09

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9310 - 10/16/15 at 19:58:39

Saw a nice review of this one on Computer Audiophile today......
Very nice recording.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9311 - 10/16/15 at 20:16:12

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9312 - 10/16/15 at 21:16:33

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9313 - 10/16/15 at 22:06:25

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9314 - 10/16/15 at 22:07:25

followed by

Both from this set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9315 - 10/16/15 at 23:55:12

Now Ellington Indigos from the same box set.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9316 - 10/17/15 at 13:45:27

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9317 - 10/17/15 at 15:26:43

I don't have time to get the photos but I have listened to these this morning...got to run now..

Bill Evan's from the 1980 Live at the Vanguard CD Box

Art Pepper from the Live at Ronnie Scott's Box

Joni Mitchell's "Court And Spark" from the Box of her Studio recordings from 1968 to 1979.  If you like Joni even a little this is a cheap set every one of her fans can afford. Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9318 - 10/17/15 at 15:44:52

"The Herbie Hancock Trio" (Carter, Williams) from the Complete Columbia Albums box set

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9319 - 10/17/15 at 21:52:43

Started snowing. . . then raining. . . then sleet. Time for some sunny music.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9320 - 10/18/15 at 13:15:05

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9321 - 10/18/15 at 13:34:17

Good morning Lon, I listened to the Evolutions in the Cave last night but wasn't happy with what I heard. I think the problem was the RCA 5U4G I recently put in the CSP3...I just don't like it as much as the Valve Art 240B.  The RCA lacks bass performance in this position compared to the Valve Art also it's not as warm...more sterile and constricted...if that sounds right.  Even turning up the Omega Deep Hemp Sub didn't help...made things worse.  I was trying the 5U4G because the Valve Art has been making tube noises for quite a while...rush and other weird sounds when volume levels are low and in between songs.  I know you've used a Cryoed version of the Valve Art...have you had any problem with weird tube noises...this has occurred with both my Valve Art 240Bs that came with Decware gear.

Anyway, I'm listening with the Evolutions in the den with the Zen Signature Monoblocks and I don't think I'm imagining the improvements there, that I described earlier.  I'll pop a Valve Art back into the CSP3 and give them a try again later.

PS...what's that later era Hancock like?  I enjoy his Blue Note and Miles Davis stuff but of the later era...Headhunters is the only album I have...or I should say that I remember having...that is a bit much for me now...too fusion.

This now ...CD 4 of 6...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9322 - 10/18/15 at 13:50:10

Oh you wouldn't like Sunlight, it's a very electronic album with electronic keyboards and even processed vocals and a pop/disco feel--a lot like the George Duke albums of the 'seventies and 'eighties but with a bit more of a mainstream jazz sensibility. I think you would like all the acoustic oriented Hancock albums (the trio above, the VSOP ones, etc.) and wouldn't like those with electric and electronic instruments, he had a sort of split nature going on then. I'm considerably more a fan of music with electric and electronic music than you. I grew into loving it over the years.

Sorry to hear that the RCA is not quite cutting it. I haven't had problems with noise from 274B Valve Arts that I can remember. And I would have classified the RCA 5U4 that I've used (I've stuck with bottle type the last ten years or so) as actually warmer. So maybe you just don't have a good pair or they need to burn in some more? Glad you hear those improvements in the second system, and I suspect you will in the other system too, probably more so, or perhaps the cable is letting you hear more of the tube's qualities, the flip side of great resolution from cables. . . those are two good sets of cables!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9323 - 10/18/15 at 14:21:19

Lon,  you know me well.  I just don't like most electronic keyboards on jazz.  But I really like electronics on Pop/Rock  and even some jazz albums...just depends.  I was looking at Hancock's All Music Guide discography and noted his album "River: The Joni Letters".  It has the longest review I think I've read on the Guides site.  It sounds very intriguing....I'll have to check it out on Spotify soon. Love Joni.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/river-the-joni-letters-mw0000484971

Maybe you're right...might be that individual  5U4G tube that has a problem.  I love the 5U4Gs, as you know, and have them in all my Amps. Another thing I discovered last night was that unknowingly I'd been listening with a pair of Zu Audio Gede interconnects between the CSP3 and the Torii MK IV.  This may have been why I had reached such a level of satisfaction before putting in the 5U4G, of course.  In the past I'd been doing A/B testing with the Grover Huffman, Decware with the X Shadow connectors and the Gede interconnects.  I'm able to have two connected to the Torii and just toggle between the two to compare.  I thought I had ended up with the DSR but it was actually the Gede, a shielded copper interconnect that I bought for less than $60 that I'd been enjoying so much.  So one big discovery for me is that I need to use cabling with primarily copper to get the sound I prefer.

Now watching "Sunday Morning"...Until later,  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9324 - 10/18/15 at 14:43:16

The Joni Letters is a good one. . . you'd like the electric elements of that I think. I enjoy that cd a lot.

The Evolution I think succeeds for me because it has the best of both the copper and silver in its construction, and using the Ohno Continuous Cast metal as well, which I find has a great quality to it. I think the Decware interconnects are a good value for the money, but I'm sold on VooDoo Cable.

Anyway, try the Evolutions anywhere you can and let me know what you think.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9325 - 10/18/15 at 15:01:07

Listening to this one while it snows and sleets. Lots of funky guitar.

From this set. Really nice mastering on this set.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9326 - 10/18/15 at 15:19:53

Lon,  after you pointed out that my Nanotec speaker cables had the Ohno Continuous Copper (OCC), I did some more reading about that copper and specifically about my speaker cables.  The cables I have, use Oxygen Free Copper wire for the negative/Black lead and the Ohno CC for the Hot/Red lead...both in a shark oil colloid impregnated with a mixture of Gold and silver particles.  It's got me thinking...why not use the Ohno CC wire for both leads?  It couldn't make things worse could it.  Nanotec has replaced the Red Ohno CC wire with  a Purple wire that uses the newly-developed Japanese copper from Hitachi, called HiFC; this copper incorporates a small amount of titanium into the alloy, which binds to any impurities, such as oxygen, hydrogen an other metals. (https://www.hitachi-metals.co.jp/e/products/auto/el/purecopper_hifc.html)  I have not been able to find any reviews of the sound performance of this new wire compared to the Ohno CC wire...let's say I'm a bit skeptical but they are charging a little more for the new wire.  I'm thinking of using speaker cables using both legs of the Ohno CC or one leg of each the HiFC and Ohno CC for each speaker.  What do you think...I need to get Will to weigh in on this since he has more experience than us with Nanotec speaker cables...I'll copy and email this to him.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9327 - 10/18/15 at 15:33:23

Hey, experimentation is good. I don't have any experience with Nanotech speaker cable wire (I do have a cryo'd coaxial digital cable that uses that wire and is superb), and I've been so so surprisingly happy with my Mapleshade speaker cable that I'm just letting them stay put and not experimenting. . . but if you have it on hand I'd say try out and see.

I bet the new wire is great. . . but so much is in the implementation of what wire is used. We can always chase after the latest and greatest, but if we find something really satisfying, we can also stand pat. That's the lesson I finally learned: synergy and satisfaction are the road to musical listening happiness. OCCC wire really works for me in all the cabling I've tried it in, and I've found the right cabling for my system after a lot of trial and error. My goal, and challenge, is to leave things alone in my system now!

PS: Just read that titanium is not a very good conductor of electricity.   Undecided

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9328 - 10/18/15 at 15:38:35

Since FUNKY Hancock seems to be helping me deal with the sleet and snow I moved on to another from this set.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9329 - 10/18/15 at 15:51:41

Lon,  about the conductivity of titanium.  The link I gave you outlines some info about the wire.  It doesn't say how much Titanium is added just that "Trace" amounts were added.  The features of the wire does include an overall High conductivity (> 101% IACS).  But of course I'm more concerned about how it is different from the Ohno CC version sound-wise.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9330 - 10/18/15 at 16:55:54

I've moved to the Cave for some serious listening.  I'm starting with CD #5 of 6 of this set using the Denon DCD A 100 player using the Decware DSR to the CSP3...I'll use an evolution cable later but for now it's on the ZP3 which is warming up.  The Denon has been running a CD continuously for more than 6 days straight and I must admit...it doesn't sound any different.  So maybe it was broken in when I got it.  Still a bit bright for my tastes but I'll try different interconnects with it besides the Decware Silver Reference.  I've got three others to try... the Grover Huffman ZX+ uses ribbons of copper, silver and aluminum, a Zu Audio Gede is a shielded copper cable and the Voodoo Evolution I'm currently auditioning in both my systems in various positions.I just remembered, I'm also using only a stock Decware power cord with the Dennon...later I'll take the Zu Audio Mission power cord from the Jolida CDP and use it with the Dennon.  Enough...back to the Music!  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9331 - 10/18/15 at 17:22:00

Next I've decided to see what the ZP3, as I have it tubed and with the Evolution cables, sounds like with some Vinyl Keith Jarrett.  Much better in regards to warmth...the drums are still very prominent as in all his trio recordings but not as hot or bothersome as with the Denon CD player...no surprise here. Very nice. Oh by the way...the Valve Art 240B is back in the CSP3.  Mark.

PS...I think I have come to the conclusion that the Valve Art 240B is what should stay in the CSP3...every attempt to use a NOS rectifier has failed. I had hoped to find a wonderful NOS tube for that spot...at a reasonable cost... but I guess I'll throw in the towel and buy a Cryoed version from Ron at Cryoset...maybe a few so I can try them in the Torii too...Lon, do these work in the Torii?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9332 - 10/18/15 at 17:32:30

Mark, I've never used the stock cord with the Denon, do try others; I felt it SANG with the PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 I used with it. And the Evolution interconnects as well.

Yes, those Valve Art rectifiers work well in the Torii Mk III (and even better in my Mk II). . . they just fit. And. . . I found I preferred the cryo'd versions that I got Ron at cryoset to stock.

But. . . I don't like it myself in the ZP3, but everything revolves around the whole tube complement I think. I'm using a 'forties RCA 5Y3GT in the ZP3 that just trumps any other rectifier I've tried, and works really well with the Raytheon and TAD tubes I have been alternating in the ZP3.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9333 - 10/18/15 at 17:33:47

Right now this, as Lucy and I are going to get busy in the kitchen making a stuffed cabbage and pepper casserole.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9334 - 10/18/15 at 17:45:58

Lon, unless you die and leave me your PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-12 cords, I don't think they'll find their way into my system...hehe.

In the ZP3 I bought a NOS, I think 50's, RCA 5Y3G Coke bottle rectifier from Mike B. and have never tried anything else.  It was this type of tube that Steve originally used to voice this amazing product and I've not felt a need to experiment at that position. I'm using the 50's RCA OA3 without experimentation but the three small tubes have been rolled countless times...it is one of my greatest pleasures.

I do think I need to consider buying a few better Power cords. I'm happy with the three Zu Audio Mission Power Cords I use.  I have been meaning to email Mike B. to see what these are that he sent with the Zen Signature Monoblocks...they seem much better than stock although I can't tell who manufactured them from their markings.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9335 - 10/18/15 at 18:06:57

It just struck me...I haven't listened to Ella recently!!  This 1986 double LP reissue of Ella singing Irving Berlin's songs...LP #1 of 2...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9336 - 10/18/15 at 18:21:57

Mark,

Interesting idea on the Nanotecs. I am a little confused. I thought I remembered yours having all the same kind of wires? Are different numbers marked on the insulation? If not, I am thinking it may be that yours are already all OCC with gold and silver particles?

I have experimented with a thin strand of titanium wire in a multi wire size/metal-type speaker cable I made. After burnin I liked how a small dose of titanium brought out the top, but judging from your issues with the top, I just can't say if this is a good idea for you or not.

Like Lon says, if it is good, why change. But on the other hand, experimentation can be really good.

Also, the area of the top that is offensive to you may be lower than the titanium helps bring out, so you may find you are like me, where bringing up the very top information actually softens the top by filling it out with more textures and air...less rigid. Who knows...so many anomalies are room and gear/cable/vibration/synergy issues.

The purity factor they talk about in the new wire sounds interesting, presumably helping them get a smoother structure and slightly softer wire. I know I like soft annealed silver and not harder, and guess the smoother sonic characteristic translate to copper... part of why OCC is popular? Just brain storming...Though the different metals have family qualities, I know from listening to different cables that silver is not silver and copper is not copper so to speak. All the variables count...gauge, purity, softness/hardness, twisting, insulation, solder, connectors.....I have heard copper I really like, and copper I think is hard...same with silver.

With your wires, the twisting was rather amazing, once right, causing more definition, particularly lower down, and without losing friendliness and warmth...To me it made a cable with potential become one I really liked, bringing its good qualities out more completely. Who knows, it may be that the titanium in the new wire will cause the untwisted cable to be similar to what yours twisted sound like???

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9337 - 10/18/15 at 18:35:17

EDIT PS Mark,

Just saw you are using a 5Y3G (I assumed 5Y3GT but then noticed you said coke bottle???) in your ZP3. But who knows,,,,so many variables. Not to confuse things, but since you have some RCA 5U4G-STs around, could be an interesting experiment. May or may not be a help. Though I have liked qualities of the 5Y3GT in my amps and CSP3 (also originally voiced with 5Y3s I think, but not sold with them now), they never stay in. To me they sound seductive at first, but finally sort of unnaturally "smooth" the sound. I prefer the more open dynamics of many other rectifiers. This may not be the case for your ZP3 and system, but it would not take long to find out....a few hours of listening while adjusting to the differences....

Now I am wondering if the tube from Mike is a 5Y3G or is it a 5V3G, a totally different tube.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9338 - 10/18/15 at 19:04:56

Will, the Black/negative wire is Oxygen Free copper (OFC) not the Ohno Continuous Copper that Nanotec calls PC-OCC as is found in the red/hot wire.  I've given you a PDF of their literature...the boxes with features quickly points out the wire used.  Both use the same colloidal mixture of Gold and Silver.

http://jaguaraudiodesign.com/store/Nanotec%20SP-SR%20Speaker%20Cables.pdf

The Nanotec cables in the Cave ain't going nowhere...hehe.  I can't even bring myself to put them in my second system to see how they do there.  What I'm thinking is for my second system, to order a 3 meter set using the Red Ohno CC wire for both legs and also buying two 3 meter lengths so I could try the new purple wire in combination with the other two types...black or red...OFC or OCC.  I would use them unterminated with bare wire until I decided what I prefer. Good connectors cost as much as the wire itself...or so it seems.

My thinking on the Titanium is that as it is only a "Trace" amount that the effect on the wire's sonic character should be negligible.

Just saw your other post...after getting to the ZP3 with a flashlight...it is definitely a 5Y3G per it's marking.  Rolling that tube will have to wait until I decide on new interconnects. Or who knows, maybe I'll get ambitious one day and do it. So much to do...so little time...Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9339 - 10/18/15 at 19:12:09

I listened to this Speakers Corner reissue last night.  It sounded so bad with the 5U4G in the CSP3, I thought I was going nuts.  I've listened to this album several times with several different iterations of tubes and cables...It has Never sounded bad! Now I'm back to bliss...a wonderful album...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9340 - 10/18/15 at 19:16:10

Well Mark, I do have power cables to sell. .. I have two Burly power cords listed, and I also have some Analysis Plus and PS Audio xStream Statements that I will probably end up selling. . . . Smiley

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9341 - 10/18/15 at 19:29:29

Lon, I read about the Burlys and they seemed too big, heavy and expensive.  I don't recall what type of metal they used.  I'll read about the two others you've listed.  I've been watching for used Zu Audio Mission Power cords since the three I use have done well in my main system...I think they are all copper.  I'll have to look.  Also another variable in my sound I hadn't thought of is the Decware DHC-1 I have on the ZP3... silver plated copper as I recall...could this be adding a little to "Hotness"?  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9342 - 10/18/15 at 19:52:42

This Music Matters Blue Note reissue...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9343 - 10/18/15 at 20:34:51

Sent you an email Mark about power cables. The Burlys ARE heavy but man they are really good cables. I honestly think that the little bit of silver-plating on the Decware and other cables are not really contributing to "hotness."

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9344 - 10/18/15 at 20:51:21

Last jazz cd today (probably). A nice one.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9345 - 10/18/15 at 21:07:49

Getting behind.  Finished the first, started the second LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9346 - 10/18/15 at 22:03:36

This one for 25 minutes then have to go...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9347 - 10/19/15 at 13:53:42

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9348 - 10/19/15 at 17:17:11

I found this when looking at some clutter on my Bar.  This CD was released in 2008 and recorded in 1967. I must have bought it since my reentry into Hi Fi but can't remember listening to it...it is fantastic.  A Quartet with Chick Corea, Ron Carter and Grady Tate.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9349 - 10/19/15 at 17:48:19

Have to listen to this Stan Getz cd again...this time with the Voodoo Evolution interconnects instead of the Decware DSR IIs...ahhh.  Really like this album.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 187 188 189 ... 512
Send Topic Print