Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1829938 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #9350 - 10/19/15 at 18:30:22

I remember Lon uses this one to evaluate changes.  So in it goes...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9351 - 10/19/15 at 19:38:50

This is a Silver CD reissue from MFSL...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9352 - 10/19/15 at 21:06:07

Yes, I have heard that cd and lp on so many systems that it's a good measure for me to use, I also use recordings I made of bands I rehearsed with, performed with and recorded in the 'eighties.

Right now, on an Ellington kick

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9353 - 10/20/15 at 15:50:36

From the new Billy Cobham box set of Atlantic recordings.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9354 - 10/20/15 at 18:15:05

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9355 - 10/20/15 at 20:44:02

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9356 - 10/20/15 at 21:18:47

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9357 - 10/20/15 at 21:59:41

I'm a big fan of this 75th anniversary SHM-CD series from Blue Note, and this is one of the very best ones in the series. Perhaps it is the perfect tempos they choose for these tunes, but each instrument has a rich presence and the balance among them is just right. Hancock's piano certainly sounds great, and his playing here, from 1961, shows why he was to become a superstar--he has a tremendous musical mind, especially shining here so early in his career.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9358 - 10/21/15 at 00:14:12

Starting with the 2nd side of this.  I had ended with the first side during my last Vinyl session Sunday evening....love this album...may have to listen to side 1 as well....

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9359 - 10/21/15 at 00:50:34

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9360 - 10/21/15 at 01:48:32

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9361 - 10/21/15 at 02:49:07

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9362 - 10/21/15 at 03:34:03

next...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9363 - 10/21/15 at 17:55:10

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9364 - 10/22/15 at 00:55:04

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9365 - 10/22/15 at 12:50:47

Starting the day with some Stan.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9366 - 10/22/15 at 14:47:53

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9367 - 10/22/15 at 18:44:46

New budget reissue from Japan. Sounds great.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9368 - 10/22/15 at 20:16:46

Another great sounding new budget cd reissue from Japan.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9369 - 10/22/15 at 20:53:05

New budget reissue from Japan. . . first time on cd? Never managed to hear this lp before.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9370 - 10/23/15 at 00:38:12

In the Cave for a few hours...this LP first...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9371 - 10/23/15 at 00:52:31

Next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9372 - 10/23/15 at 01:39:58

Next LP...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9373 - 10/23/15 at 12:47:43

Next...

Sibelius_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9374 - 10/23/15 at 15:30:10

Listening to Dave Brubeck Quartet "Jackpot" again. The piano is out of tune enough to be an irritant. . . if you let it or if you're really really sensitive to that. But otherwise a great performance from these four.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9375 - 10/23/15 at 20:38:34

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9376 - 10/23/15 at 21:03:02

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9377 - 10/24/15 at 00:36:19

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9378 - 10/24/15 at 13:44:46

Found this 2 CD set of Joni Mitchell with orchestral backing released 2002.  This is very similar to the 2 CD set called "Both Sides Now" released in 2000.  Very lovely...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9379 - 10/24/15 at 14:21:26

Time for some John Zorn. This CD entitled Zevulan from a two CD set called "Circle Maker" features the Bar Kokhba Sextet: the Masada String Trio plus drummer Joey Baron, percussionist Cyro Baptista, and guitarist Marc Ribot. Superb...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9380 - 10/24/15 at 15:18:08

Yes Mark,  I need to listen to those two Joni releases again soon.

Right now
Ella Fitzgerald "On the Air Vol. 3" rare French Masters of Jazz CD that features AFRS and other on the air broadcasts.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9381 - 10/24/15 at 15:52:03

Lon, that Ella looks interesting.  I've seen several CDs that you've listened to recently from this French Label.  Were they all bought from Dusty Groove?  How's the sound quality? How much did they cost?  My favorite Ella is from the mid 50's to mid 60's but I'd give these a shot if the SQ isn't too painful. Ditto on the Ellington CDs.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9382 - 10/24/15 at 15:59:49

This 2 CD set was bought when I needed to add enough to an amazon order to get free shipping. My favorite Sinatra is what he did with Nelson Riddle but these are nice...one CD directed and arranged by Neal Hefti the other by Quincy Jones.  These were recorded when I liked Sinatra's voice the most...about the mid 50's to mid 60's.  These were recorded in 1962 and 1964.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9383 - 10/24/15 at 17:34:54

mark58 wrote on 10/24/15 at 15:52:03:
Lon, that Ella looks interesting.  I've seen several CDs that you've listened to recently from this French Label.  Were they all bought from Dusty Groove?  How's the sound quality? How much did they cost?  My favorite Ella is from the mid 50's to mid 60's but I'd give these a shot if the SQ isn't too painful. Ditto on the Ellington CDs.  Mark.

https://cdn2.dustygroove.com/images/products/f/fitzge_ella_ontheairv_101b.jpg

Mark,
These Masters of Jazz cds have perhaps the best sound for these early sides that are available . . . but the sound is not "good" by any stretch of the imagination in comparison with the sound of the "tape" recordings of the 'fifties on. Masters of Jazz took great care to use the best commercial sources and did careful remastering and restoration and didn't use "No Noise" or "Cedar" software to remove noise and deaden the sound. They also had good notes with a few photos, extensive personnel pages, and they were unique in that they featured recordings chronologically both commercial studio and any "air checks," film performances or private recordings available. Most cds of early jazz either do the commercial studio OR the live recordings, don't mix them up together, don't present them chronologically. In some cases such as Basie and Ellington and Lester Young and Charlie Christian the Masters of Jazz series had "air checks" or rehearsal studio material or film or private recordings that I have still not seen on cd elsewhere.

They were expensive imports when they were in print, but worth it to me, and then they went out of business. Not a huge amount were ever printed so they became quickly hard to find and even more expensive. Now and then I find a few I haven't bought for sale reasonably. Dusty Groove seems to have bought someone's collection which included a dozen or so, and recently I found some on ebay at decent prices. I paid between five and twelve for these, but these are rare low prices.

The Ellington ones I posted here sound very good for disc-recorded 78s and early film recordings. As do the Holiday. The Ella ones. . . well they are rough recordings to begin with, recorded onto home disc recorders off the radio. They don't sound good, but they sound as good as they can in the Masters of Jazz series.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9384 - 10/25/15 at 02:49:01

Thanks for the info Lon.  I'm going to end the day with a couple LPs in the Cave. This is a Music Matters 33 rpm Blue Note reissue...very nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9385 - 10/25/15 at 03:10:25

Next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9386 - 10/25/15 at 11:58:03

I decided to try a pair of Grover Huffman ZX+ interconnects in my second system this morning.  I haven't listened to this CD in a while so can't make any judgments just yet.  After things are warmed up I'll play something more familiar.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9387 - 10/25/15 at 13:18:24

CD #4 of 6...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9388 - 10/25/15 at 13:53:24

CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9389 - 10/25/15 at 17:02:34

Done with the morning shows and now in the Cave. I've put a pair of Sylvania Black Plate Triple Mica 5751s in the ZP3 replacing their gray plate siblings. These tubes are a bit more focused than the gray plates...I'm thinking they'll be a better match with the Voodoo Evolution interconnects I'm auditioning now.

Warming things up with a little Velvet Fog backed by just piano and bass, recorded and released in 1983...excellent...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9390 - 10/25/15 at 17:33:39

This Speakers Corner reissue is simply stunning...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9391 - 10/25/15 at 18:20:27

This is a music matters 45 RPM blue note reissue.  Soon I should be receiving a 33 RPM reissue of this.  Love  Wayne Shorters early Blue Note recordings...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9392 - 10/25/15 at 19:05:02

This is a rhino vinyl reissue.  It has a lot of bass...I flipped the bass switch on the Torii MK IV forward and turned down the omega sub....sounds good...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9393 - 10/25/15 at 19:47:58

Followed by

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9394 - 10/25/15 at 20:13:53

Next an ORG reissue of this album...I've got a reissue of "Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus" on it's way from elusive disc...

PS...Lon, I have the Mosaic set "The Complete Vee Jay Lee Morgan & Wayne Shorter Sessions" that I think has that shorter album...It's one of the many purchases I haven't listened to.  I make it a point to listen to all the vinyl reissues I buy now before ordering another batch.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9395 - 10/25/15 at 20:41:59

Yes, that album is on the Mosaic set.

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9396 - 10/25/15 at 20:48:12

About time for a Trip...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9397 - 10/25/15 at 21:48:48

This is a Rhino vinyl reissue.  I like all the recent Rhino Vinyl reissues I've bought...cut from the original analogue tapes by top notch experts...this one by Bernie Grundman, I know Doug Sax and Kevin Gray do some too...and pressed at RTI on quiet 180 gm Vinyl.  To top it off, they are much cheaper than the "Audiophile" reissues.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9398 - 10/25/15 at 22:24:19

This is not an original, probably a 70's or 80's stereo reissue, red label no eyes.  I have an original Mono copy...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9399 - 10/25/15 at 22:46:37

Love that record, and the additional material on the 2 cd set.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 188 189 190 ... 512
Send Topic Print