Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1829810 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #9400 - 10/25/15 at 23:03:42

Lon,  I have the CD set too.  It's unbelievable that Columbia hasn't given this set a proper remaster since the 1994 Columbia Jazz Masterpieces set. I keep hoping they'll put out a nice box of Live recordings like they did with the Quartet's Studio albums...I won't hold my breath.  Mark.

PS...with the extra 30+ minutes on the CD version, this would be a great 2 LP 33 RPM set.  Impex did a 2 LP reissue of "Straight No Chaser" where they restored full length cuts that were edited on the original LP and added material...it's great.

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Thelonious-Monk-Straight-No-Chaser-Numbered-Limited-E...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9401 - 10/25/15 at 23:12:33

This is an ORG 45 rpm reissue...

PS...speaking of Monk...Bill does a nice version of "Round Midnight" on this album...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9402 - 10/26/15 at 00:08:48

This is another superb Rhino Vinyl reissue...I still have a few other Joni reissues I've yet to get but the originals are so good there's no hurry.  This one was worked on by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray, then pressed at RTI on 180 gm vinyl.  It'd be hard to beat...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9403 - 10/26/15 at 00:20:00

Mark, your wish is fulfilled:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Columbia-Live-Albums-Collection/dp/B00YY03S10/r...

Remains to be seen if all the earlier releases are remastered, but I bet they will be. It's available from amazon.com US as well, but more expensive. Also released are a second Ellington box set, and an Art Blakey Columbia and RCA albums box set.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9404 - 10/26/15 at 00:49:17

Well I'll be, Lon.  And just in time for Christmas.  I'll buy all three boxes.  I'll wait for you to figure out the cheapest place...have you checked Germany yet?  I think that's where I bought in the past. Now I'll have to search for other reissues.  Mark.

This Music Matters 33 RPM reissue now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9405 - 10/26/15 at 01:12:03

Lon, a new 6 CD Bob Dylan Bootleg Series Box Set...a bit more than I can handle but I'll get the 2 CD best of set...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015JXIA4K/ref=s9_hps_bw_g15_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKI...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9406 - 10/26/15 at 01:28:22

Lon, there are a few more that I'm not intrested in like Miles on Warner brothers box, a three CD deluxe box of Coltrane's "A Love Supreme"...I'm still looking.  I was hoping to find some of the Miles Davis Columbia Live albums in a box...could be several boxes...please make the electric/fusion stuff a separate box.

This Vinyl reissue now...beautiful...

PS...ooo...a Pat Metheny Group live album from 1977...on Hi Hat?
and a live Art Pepper CD

PSS...still no Live Dave Brubeck Quartet albums box from Columbia?!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9407 - 10/26/15 at 02:07:18

This is an Impex reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9408 - 10/26/15 at 03:38:11

Lon,  you got me looking.  As a result I made a $125 Dusty Groove purchase...the first in a very long time.  I'd been buying vinyl reissues only for a while. I bought lots of Miles Davis CDs mostly live from the 1960 European Tours with Coltrane and Sonny Stitt, a couple Art Pepper live CDs and some Vinyl...Phineas Newborn, Monk, Lee Konitz, Ella and Miles' "Circle In The Round".   Would have been more but I ran out of time to look.  Mark.

This is going to be the last album tonight...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9409 - 10/26/15 at 11:14:44

Lon, here's one released last month that I'll have too pick up...

http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Concert-By-Sea/dp/B00ZJ5QXDO/ref=zg_bsnr_34_3...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9410 - 10/26/15 at 11:34:07

mark58 wrote on 10/26/15 at 00:49:17:
Well I'll be, Lon.  And just in time for Christmas.  I'll buy all three boxes.  I'll wait for you to figure out the cheapest place...have you checked Germany yet?  I think that's where I bought in the past. Now I'll have to search for other reissues.  Mark.

Mark, I ordered all three a month or so ago when first announced. I just ordered them from amazon.co.uk --- they were then cheapest there. They were at first to be released Oct. 6, but were pushed back to Oct. 30.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9411 - 10/26/15 at 11:39:36

You'll probably dig the Errol Garner, it's quite nice, I had pre-ordered it some months back, they cleaned up the sound.

I don't need the Miles Davis Warner brothers box set; have cds of the albums and don't listen to them much; the only thing I don't have here is the concert that was added to the Tutu Deluxe Edition I never picked up. Columbia is not likely to put out a collection of the live albums. They have included all the official non-fusion (not really the right word for Mile imo but close) in the respective box sets of the different Quintets, and the others will continue to be released via the Bootleg Series.

I have been following the news about the Dylan box set (there is also a 18 cd box set going for 700 bucks or so only available from bobdylan.com!) and have the six cd set on pre-order. I expect it to be fascinating.

I'm looking forward to the "Love Supreme" box--having more of the sextet version with Archie Shepp and Art Davis added will be great for me! I ordered the SHM-CD version from Japan.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9412 - 10/26/15 at 11:58:23

mark58 wrote on 10/26/15 at 01:28:22:
PS...ooo...a Pat Metheny Group live album from 1977...on Hi Hat?
and a live Art Pepper CD

PSS...still no Live Dave Brubeck Quartet albums box from Columbia?!

HiHat is just releasing bootleg concerts . . . haven't heard their versions of those that I would be interested in as I have earlier versions, and I haven't heard the Metheny or Pepper as I don't collect those artists.

I think that the Brubeck estate may be holding up a live box of Brubeck Quartet albums. Japan just released for the first time on cd "Jackpot" (came out Oct. 14) and will release "Live in Amsterdam" next month.

The box set I ordered recently was the new Glenn Gould box. I have the Original Jacket Collection and really shouldn't have. . . but this new one is all DSD remastered and has gotten great reviews as a step up from the earlier set, and I've become a big Gould nut, so. . . when Pop Market had it on sale a few days ago I went for it. I can always sell the earlier set, etc.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9413 - 10/26/15 at 12:00:33

Right now

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9414 - 10/26/15 at 12:33:42

Lon, sorry to hear that about the Columbia Brubeck Live Material...so the Brubeck estate has final approval on Columbia recordings...not sure how that works.

I saw that Gould set and was tempted but then I remembered I still haven't listened to the classical CD boxes I've purchased the last two years and passed.

Where do you get news of coming releases? Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9415 - 10/26/15 at 12:46:22

That is just my guess about the Brubeck estate. I know Jackpot was not released because Brubeck hated the out of tune piano. . . that and Amsterdam were the two official releases never released before on cd officially, would have been great to include those as incentive to buy in a box, but now they are coming out in Japan which I think may mean we won't see a box set. Just my guess.

I spend a lot of time on two music boards, Organissimo (a jazz board) and the Steve Hoffman forum. That's where I hear about most new releases. And I scour cdjapan as I love Japanese cds and their prices are so good.

I've done pretty good keeping up with my classical box sets, and my Gould one is one of my very favorites. . . getting the new 81 cd set for 130 was too much of a temptation for me. Comes with a 400 page book!

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9416 - 10/26/15 at 12:51:55

Next...

abair.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9417 - 10/26/15 at 20:25:04

Revisiting Ceu's first cd. She sounds as lovely as she looks.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9418 - 10/26/15 at 20:57:04

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9419 - 10/26/15 at 22:39:00

New budget reissue cd from Japan featuring 2012 mastering.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9420 - 10/27/15 at 00:28:27

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9421 - 10/27/15 at 19:25:49

Nice, Core, I`m just going up for a session and that album is great, there are many fine moments on it and K. Burrell plays some riveting solos. I`ll dig it out for a play tonight.

....K. Crimsons `Starless and Bible Black` is being re-released !!. Another of the 40th anniv 200 gm albums.   :)

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9422 - 10/27/15 at 20:25:13

Syd, I agree on the K. Burrell album.

Also, I picked up the CD/DVD of that KC release a while back here:
https://www.burningshed.com/store/kingcrimson/product/362/3218/

A great remaster for sure.

Next.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9423 - 10/27/15 at 21:57:47

The wonderfully dynamic sounding Blu-Spec 2 CD

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9424 - 10/27/15 at 23:32:17

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9425 - 10/27/15 at 23:45:24

New budget reissue from Japan

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9426 - 10/28/15 at 01:41:28

In the Cave for a couple hours...first LP...This was recorded in 1957 after Coltrane had been fired by Miles Davis for Drugs.  It wasn't long after that he began playing with Monk.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9427 - 10/28/15 at 02:16:53

Next a speakers corner reissue...another 1957 recording...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9428 - 10/28/15 at 19:07:15

One of my favorite pianists. . . on this album on vibes. Bill Evans on piano.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9429 - 10/28/15 at 22:09:05

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9430 - 10/28/15 at 23:24:52

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9431 - 10/29/15 at 21:41:53

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9432 - 10/29/15 at 22:17:50

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9433 - 10/29/15 at 22:59:47

Great sounding Japanese cd reissue.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9434 - 10/30/15 at 00:06:41

In the Cave for a couple hours. This is a MFSL 45 RPM reissue...
Has anyone here heard the MFSL 45 rpm reissue of "Kind Of Blue"?

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9435 - 10/30/15 at 00:53:08

Next LP...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9436 - 10/30/15 at 01:39:38

Next a Music Matters 33 RPM reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9437 - 10/30/15 at 02:23:48

Next an original 2 LP set...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9438 - 10/30/15 at 11:56:59

No, as you know I'm not buying audiophile reissue vinyl myself. Word on the Hoffman board is very good on the KOB 45 rpm though, and I have the Mobile Fidelity SACD which came out a few months before and it is excellent.

Right now

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9439 - 10/30/15 at 17:59:33

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9440 - 10/30/15 at 22:21:44

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9441 - 10/31/15 at 12:04:06

In the den sippin' coffee listening to this wonderful CD (20 bit K2 super coding)

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9442 - 10/31/15 at 13:07:13

Next is a 1964 recording with a stellar group...

PS...i was looking around audiogon and happened to pull up the old listing for the Monoblocks I bought 1 1/2 years ago.  I posted the link below for those who like to look at and read about audio bling. Except for the RCA OA3s, I've retubed the monos and I don't use the tube dampers...moved the two sets of steel dampers sent with the amps to my main system. Ironically the amps were not sold with interconnects shown but in July 2015 I bought a pair of Grover Huffman EX interconnects from the same Decware member...Mike B. I can't be sure but they look like the ones in the photos.  I was using Grover interconnects for the first two CDs this morning and am now listening to a pair of Voodoo Evolution interconnects I have in for audition with the above Lee Morgan CD.  To my ears the Evolutions sound a bit smoother...hard to tell with my horrendous audio memory.  Both are good... I'll compare further.

Mike recently sold his modified ZP3 with many great tubes...I was very tempted to add it to my collection of gear but couldn't see how I currently could put it in use in my second system...maybe in the future.

PSS...not sure why but when I post the link it doesn't work...I'll cut and paste the listing below.

Decware SE84ZSM Monoblocks with CKC mod, Jupiter Caps, upgraded plate resistors [Expired]

I’m downsizing to one system, and using the funds to purchase a better turntable, so for your consideration, I am offering:

Decware 84ZSM Monoblocks with walnut base, extra input jacks so you can use a preamp if desired, and later factory upgrades.

I originally purchased the Monoblocks in 2008.  They came with optional VCaps.  In 2011 I sent them back to Decware and added a Stepped Attenuator ($100 cost), and the now standard CCE modification.

In 2013 I had Decware do the new CKC modification, add Jupiter Beeswax/cryoed silver Caps, and upgraded plate resistors.  This work made a big sonic improvement over the VCaps they originally came with. The Monoblocks are more "gutsy", with greater sonic detail, yet natural sounding.  Cost of this upgrade was $500.

With the Amp, I will include two Furutech TF series Audiophile fuses ($100 value), and a nice complement of tubes.  1940’s military KenRad 5U4G’s, 1950’s RCA OA3’s, a NOS pair of strong, tightly matched Russian military 6P15PEV’s, and a new pair of 6N1P input tubes.

I also have several  additional pairs of extremely strong, tightly matched, military 6P15PEV’s to sell. These are not included.

I will pack each amp in it’s own box, and the tubes in a third box.  The Amps will ship by FedEx, and the tubes by Priority Mail. I will pay for shipping.

Please contact me with any questions you may have.

Thanks for looking!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9443 - 10/31/15 at 14:51:36

Next CD is this one...my favorite is the second photo that I can't find...lots of boxes of CDs are hiding this one...the second is a great collaboration with Quincy Jones...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9444 - 10/31/15 at 17:27:35

You got a great set of amps Mark! And a great deal from Mike B.

Glad you seem to be enjoying the Evolution interconnects.

Not a lot of time for music today so squeezing in. . .

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9445 - 10/31/15 at 20:46:01

Back to music.  This CD of Cannonball recorded in Belgium 1962...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9446 - 10/31/15 at 22:34:07

Three decades later in 1992 this was recorded live...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9447 - 10/31/15 at 23:05:26

This CD was recorded in 1985...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9448 - 10/31/15 at 23:49:07

Next CD...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9449 - 11/01/15 at 00:49:40

Now a little Pepper...CD #2 of 4...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 189 190 191 ... 512
Send Topic Print