Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #950 - 07/27/11 at 02:51:36

There are parts of this atypical funky cd that sound like Chick Corea and Return to Forever were joining Walter Becker and Donald Fagen on stage on the Ipanema beach as twilight falls. And even moments that sound as if they were recorded at 4 a.m. in a basement Montmartre joint. Ed Motta wears many hats, but the funky Rio fusion ones he wears for this recording fit him very well. Sort of the unpretentious black sheep cousin of the Morelebaum2/Sakamota cds. I love Ed Motta's music.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
a1p4a
Ex Member

Reply #951 - 07/27/11 at 10:55:58

Saw Sherman and his band last night at the Edinburgh Blues Festival - really enjoyed - some nice guitar

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #952 - 07/27/11 at 14:18:05

Bill Evans on piano, Eddie Costa (also an excellent pianist) on vibes. . . it hardly gets better than this.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #953 - 07/27/11 at 14:59:53

Okay I confess: I'm a huge fan of Pee Wee Russell. The man Louis Prima called the most amazing musical mind he'd played with. Russell just had a unique way of thinking and playing.

This is a great lp that has Pee Wee with some of his best "dixieland" (Chicago style is a better description, but few know what that mens) associates playing Pee Wee Russell compositions. I have this in both mono and stereo versions, and am playing the stereo right now. I most often play the mono. There's a "gray market" cd out that has the stereo version paired with another Pee Wee Russell album with many of the same players called "A Portrait of Pee Wee."

This lp is like a great pair of well-worn shoes, just a comfort to slip into.

Wish I could find a bigger photo of the mono lp cover I have:

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #954 - 07/27/11 at 15:04:35

I'm also a big fan of this excellent modern session by Bobby Gordon honoring Pee Wee and his music. Think I'll put this on next.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #955 - 07/27/11 at 16:47:30

Right now it's Wardel Gray's Memorial 1 and 2 as I found the original Prestige vinyls for not a lot of $ very very nice, Al Haigs piano playing on Sweet Lorraine is excellent imho.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #956 - 07/27/11 at 18:50:56

That Wardell Gray material is so good. It's so sad we lost him so young!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #957 - 07/27/11 at 23:07:28

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #958 - 07/27/11 at 23:47:20

Pre rehab SRV. I saw him in concert for the second time in this time frame, his playing wasn't as good as it had been. I then saw him after he cleaned up, much better.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #959 - 07/28/11 at 03:20:47

When you're in the mood, if this doesn't get your motor revving, I don't know what will:

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #960 - 07/28/11 at 13:16:15

Been listening to 'seventies and beyond jazz today, as opposed to the forties and fifteis material I was listening to yesterday.

I don't always like a lot of this stuff, but there's a place for it in my listening world!

Right now, Herbie Hancock and VSOP, Live Under the Sky, the expanded US release.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #961 - 07/28/11 at 16:26:26

Moved from seventies jazz to fifties big band swing so to speak. Wow. The ERRs just fill every crevice in the room with this huge sound, and not strident or muddy, just clear fullness.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #962 - 07/28/11 at 19:01:50

A little Sarah Brightman, this particular recording mastered in 24-bit/100kHz, which seems like an odd rate to me, but sure sounds great:

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #963 - 07/28/11 at 22:41:38

Clapton tonight.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #964 - 07/29/11 at 04:25:03

It's late in the AM so right now:

Cool

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #965 - 07/29/11 at 12:28:49

Claire Austin sounds very much like Lee Wiley, on this and her only other album, but that's not a bad thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #966 - 07/29/11 at 16:54:31

The Japanese RVG lp facsimile version. Funny that this still hasn't appeared on cd in the US because of the title (at the artist's request).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #967 - 07/29/11 at 21:37:28

Listening through the newly arrived and installed PerfectWave Transport and DAC combo from PS Audio.

Out of the box a bit electtronic and tizzy but that's already changing, With new cables and new components (and with the CSP2 also removed from the system) it's going to take a while before this is "all it can be" but I'm already impressed.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #968 - 07/30/11 at 00:47:33

I'm out in the garage working on some stupid old British motorcycle that should be rusting in a junkyard somewhere. Joseph Lucas is the prince of darkness.
I listening to Robert Earl Keen on my Garage system (Onkyo, NHT, Velodyne)
I can't believe how crappy it sounds now that my Decware stuff is fully run in. I just wish my ZDAC was here.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #969 - 07/30/11 at 01:10:42

Cor Blimey I know what you mean about those Lucas electrics; I spend many an evening with a friend of mine in Ohio back in the 'seventies working on his Trimph cars AND bikes and more than half the time the problem was with Lucas electrical components!

It's really funny how we expect greatness out of stereo systems when we get used to a Decware system!

Right now, I'm spinning this (Japanese 20 bit lp facsimile version) because I know how it "sounds' very well and I'm trying to evaluate the new PS Audio transport and DAC. (Which is silly because the combo will sound differently later tonight, tomorrow morning, tomorrow night. . . . etc.)

]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #970 - 07/30/11 at 15:17:09

The RVG remastered Deluxe Edition

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #971 - 07/31/11 at 03:12:33

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #972 - 07/31/11 at 13:37:43

I'm beginning to think this is the best release of the year so far for me. Allen Lowe is a denizen of a jazz bulletin board that I haunt and quite a goofball in posts. He's an excellent pop culture historian, having written an excellent history of jazz and one of blues and one of rock, and he's a jazz alto player and guitarist who has released some offbeat recordings in the past.

This one is a blues three cd set that has him in great company with blues and jazz players, and they approach the blues in many open-ended ways,  adding a sort of Ornette Coleman "harmelodic" approach to much of it. It's wild and whacky and very enjoyable and challenging as well. My one gripe with the proceeds is that he seems to use a drummer who is playing drums off a low-fi drum machine. That doesn't quite work for me, though it does make the sound and feel of the recordings different, which was the intent I'm sure. I have an electronic (Roland) and an acoustic (Sonor) drum kit, and I just wish either type of kit was used as the clarity of the drumming would be so much better, not to mention the swing. (But I think Allen Lowe was particularly going for an entirely different texture, he sure got one).

Anyway, anyone who loves the blues and is feeling adventurous, check this out, it's not that expensive. I got mine directly from Allen Lowe for 25 bucks including shipping.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #973 - 08/02/11 at 23:47:49

A new European import two-fer.

The new PS Audio PerfectWave Transport and DAC are beginning to sound fantastic.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #974 - 08/03/11 at 00:03:55

This is what I am playing on Tuesday 8/2/11!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #975 - 08/04/11 at 00:34:21

I stopped off and bought this on the way home tonight. So far so good. My wife and John Hiatt share the same birthdate. August 20th, 1952 has been a pretty good day for me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #976 - 08/04/11 at 02:30:34

Awesome, another August birthday! I share the same "day" with Louis Armstrong and Barak Obama, which is very cool times two, and I'm the exact same age as . . .Billy Bob Thorton. More's the pity there. . . not a favorite.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #977 - 08/04/11 at 23:28:06

Happy Birthday Lon! I'm playing the closest thing to jazz I have in my inventory in your honor.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #978 - 08/04/11 at 23:34:52

Thanks Don!

Just got back from seeing Cowboys and Aliens with my girlfriend and enjoying a little music (and rectifier tube rolling, will and Greg got me into that) before we go out to dinner.

I've fallen in love with this album, produced by Prince, and with some of the greatest electric bass grooves on the planet.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #979 - 08/05/11 at 14:06:30

The lovely lovely Ms Monday Michiru (daughter of jazz greats Toshiko Akyoshi and Charlie Mariano) . . . one of her best, the second of the two discs.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #980 - 08/05/11 at 17:51:29

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #981 - 08/05/11 at 23:13:54

It is going to be a Zevon night around here. Some friends and I have been sending Zevon lyrics back and forth on emails all day. Good thing that I'm the boss.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #982 - 08/06/11 at 03:31:02

A boss that loves Warren Zevon. I now have an extra criteria for my next workplace. Smiley Hope I find a boss like you soon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #983 - 08/06/11 at 13:08:04

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #984 - 08/06/11 at 14:23:46

Disc 2

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #985 - 08/06/11 at 14:33:24

I'm going to see "Here Come the Mummies" tonight at the local "Fest".

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #986 - 08/07/11 at 14:44:43

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #987 - 08/08/11 at 10:32:23

Right now:

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #988 - 08/09/11 at 00:51:45

I'm really starting to like this. He reminds me a lot of James McMurtry. I must like the "Texas" thing.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #989 - 08/09/11 at 00:59:35

Man, there's some blistering stuff on this!

IP Logged
yamyam
Ex Member

Reply #990 - 08/09/11 at 14:47:05

Wow Good I Love U. baby!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #991 - 08/10/11 at 00:38:22

I've always been a sucker for this album. I must have been the right (or wrong) age when this came out.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #992 - 08/10/11 at 00:51:25

Doesn't do much for me. I heard it way too much in the 'eighties and I didn't start out liking it, hearing it everywhere didn't help.

Right now, I've been listening to this box set, fantastic music I've loved since the 'seventies.

Just can't believe how I still find new things within.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #993 - 08/10/11 at 01:12:14

Lon,
I started thinking about your comment about "Hotel California" and wondered how much we like or dislike a certain piece of music has to do with what time the music was introduced to us. The mid 70's until the early 80's was a pretty good time in my life, getting out of HS, getting a real job, becoming a successful motorcycle racer..... I really like music from that time period. The 90's sucked for me, worked 6-7 days a week, lost my father, didn't get to race much, the music sucked. Now that I am 50, things ain't too bad, I have money, don't have to work too much and I'm liking music a whole lot more. I'm finding music all over the place that I like. Music that I wouldn't have listened to before, even Country, a form of music that I thought that only morons liked. Time must of mellowed me. Or times just got better.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #994 - 08/10/11 at 03:38:19

Yes times change, we change, music changes.

I never liked the Eagles though, and probably never will. They represented a sort of slick music that I just never could relate to. At the time I was collecting all the Jimi Hendrix bootlegs I could find and discovering the jazz of Ellington, Armstrong and Parker, and the Eagles just seemed like a bunch of white boys with big belt buckles rolling in money and girls. They didn't have soul. I needed soul in my music. And they were so popular, I just sort of resented how popular they were and being (in my opinion) so empty.

I'm sure that's a very inaccurate assessment, but it's the one that "felt" and it colored how I felt about that music.

Just got back from dinner with my girlfriend and I've got the Miles Davis box set going again. Can't get that one out of the player today!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #995 - 08/10/11 at 22:19:08

Sounding scary good.

IP Logged
Rap
Ex Member

Reply #996 - 08/12/11 at 10:19:27

Right now:

Johnny Hodges's solo on the "Star-crossed lovers" is heartbreakingly good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #997 - 08/12/11 at 23:09:44

Yup. Lots of good Hodges and Terry on that one.

Right now

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #998 - 08/13/11 at 00:02:44

I sure do play a lot of Zevon.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #999 - 08/13/11 at 13:40:15

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 512
Send Topic Print