Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1831413 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #9550 - 11/14/15 at 03:11:57

Now this favorite...The Cave is sounding scary good...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9551 - 11/14/15 at 12:36:06

For the rest of the day, the TV is off...maybe a movie on TCM later.  For now I have the Taboo MK III fired up to listen to albums I'm considering buying...this first...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9552 - 11/14/15 at 13:02:36

mark58 wrote on 11/14/15 at 00:46:22:
Lon, no doubt you've got the "Vinyl" sound with the PS Audio Combo.  When I got back into Hi Fi a couple years ago I already had thousands of CDs and LPs...many/most I have yet to listen to.  So I'm actually wed to both formats.  I originally intended to only buy reissues on Vinyl that weren't easily obtained as originals.  I started my love affair with 50's and 60's jazz after I'd stopped buying vinyl in the late 80's early 90's so I had it all on CD.  Anyway, as you can tell any plan to limit my Vinyl reissues went out the window rather quickly.

It's all about the Music...we all get there differently.  I'm pretty much "there" now and think rolling tubes in the ZP3 and input tubes in the CSP3 and my Zen Signature Monoblocks will satiate my desire to tinker.  I do want one more pair of the Voodoo Evolution interconnects to use when I play the Jolida 100 or Denon 100 A in the Cave.  Over the last several weeks I bought about a half dozen Zu Audio Mission  Power Cords so I've got upgraded power cords every where except on the omega Sub...so I'll buy one more when it pops up.  

This Yes album sounds amazing...  

The Wilson remix of the Yes Album sounds amazing on hi-res and cd! Wink

I love vinyl but it comprises about ten percent of my listening. The big thing that moved me away from vinyl is that so little of what I want to hear is available easily, much not at all. That was what drew me in to cd collecting, and my appetite has become voracious, I love to experience new listening and so much is available on cd! Live recordings, alternate tracks, sessions never released on lp in the past and not released in the present, new looks at old material, I just am amazed at how much is out there. I can listen to an album a few times and have an aural memory of it, and then move on to revisit the first in due time. . . My friend Dave says "How is there any room left up there?" I don't know how but there is and I need to feed it more. So many genres: classical, Brazilian, blues, jazz, rock, soul. . . I can't diet on recordings, I've tried. When I can get cds for a dollar or less in big boxes etc. paying for audiophile vinyl is just flat out of the question for me.

And I'm now entering my third decade of having tube amps as my only listening amps. I've tired of seeking out tubes to try and paying high dollar for rare things that some guy on a website describes like it's a vintage wine. I've actually tried to find new production tubes that are excellent because then I can get them at low cost and with little effort. Rolling tubes was fun years ago. . . and has become progressively less so. I'm also now not trying to find "the perfect sound" which fleetingly slips away recording to recording but rather an overall great sound that serves almost anything I throw at it well. This is not the usual audiophile goal and I've been sort of trail-blazing it on my own and finally after a decade or so seeing some real results.

Anyway, we love music, and you and I love a good chunk of the same music, so I love the companionship we have on the road of our listening life. Thanks for all your contributions on and off the board.

Right now

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9553 - 11/14/15 at 13:59:09

Well Lon, you've posted too many Barney Wilen albums for me not to check him out.  There aren't that many on spotify but I'm listening to this one...very nice.  He has a beautiful tone and style here.  I think this may be a compilation of older recordings from the 50s 60s?  I'll investigate.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9554 - 11/14/15 at 17:29:55

Yeah, that album hasn't previously existed on cd or lp to my knowledge and I don't do Spotify so not sure what's on it, but you are probably right.

A lot of Wilen's stuff has been very hard to find and I spent years in the beginning of this century locating his material, and found some unreleased collector's material too. He was a very interesting person, he was the son of a wealthy American and a French woman who grew up in Europe and was a teenage prodigy on saxophones. He recorded with Miles for a French movie soundtrack while still in his teens, and he was independently wealthy as an adult and so did not pursue gigs and recordings the way that a "hungrier" artist would. But he had a great command of soprano, alto, baritone saxes as well as the tenor he was most known for and played most, and he combined a Sonny Rollins thematic improvisation sense with a Lester Young like rhythmic feel and lighter sound (my interpretation and thoughts of his style). He has a strong lyrical sense and understands how to play ballads.

I like his work of the eighties and nineties best, he really became himself more fully and freely as an artist.

Right now, last cd for a while (running errands and then dinner with my future mother-in-law) . . .

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9555 - 11/15/15 at 12:57:59

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9556 - 11/15/15 at 14:47:09

These two CDs in the den...

this one has Sonny Stitt on Sax...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9557 - 11/15/15 at 17:19:19

CD #1 of 3...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9558 - 11/16/15 at 15:01:20

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9559 - 11/16/15 at 19:00:54

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9560 - 11/16/15 at 21:16:51

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9561 - 11/16/15 at 22:54:15

Followed by

(Legs of producer Alfred Lion and his wife Ruth)

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9562 - 11/16/15 at 23:50:02

Remastered - 2015...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9563 - 11/17/15 at 00:27:54

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9564 - 11/17/15 at 00:46:51

In the Cave for a bit.  This is an original copy purchased from ebay...very nice...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9565 - 11/17/15 at 01:34:34

Another ebay purchase...a 1984 mono reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9566 - 11/17/15 at 01:42:58

Next...this may have been a mistake...another ebay purchase...

PS...Yup, definitely a mistake...I'll try to make it through side one...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9567 - 11/17/15 at 01:59:37

This is more like it...another ebay LP...

That last one reminded me of the torture of sitting with my Grand parents watching The Lawrence Welk Show when I was a little kid...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9568 - 11/17/15 at 18:15:00

SHM-CD. ..  best I've heard this on cd.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9569 - 11/17/15 at 21:44:05

SHM-CD. Sounds so good.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9570 - 11/17/15 at 21:44:35

Quote:
That last one reminded me of the torture of sitting with my Grand parents watching The Lawrence Welk Show when I was a little kid...

What? Don't like that Champagne bubble music? Or a Polka or two?
LOL...A one and a two...

I have this one on the original vinyl but I played it so much back in the '70s that I can practically see through it.  :)
So from Tidal it is...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9571 - 11/17/15 at 23:26:51

Listened to CD #1 of three of this set and then this CD...part of a recent ebay purchase...

PS...called Music Direct to have them send me a replacement KOB disc #1...no problem except they won't have any until a week or so. I was too tired to try to get them to send disc #2 of "Brother In Arms".  I was awakened before 4am by severe weather sirens.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9572 - 11/18/15 at 00:51:30

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9573 - 11/18/15 at 01:00:52

Next...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9574 - 11/18/15 at 20:14:01

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9575 - 11/18/15 at 20:49:40

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9576 - 11/18/15 at 20:57:13

Just in from Europe, the new 2 cd / 2 DVD set from Opeth, remasters of the two albums Deliverance and Damnation.

Damnation is my favorite Opeth album. I'm listening to the 96/24 stereo remix and it sounds f'in' great.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9577 - 11/18/15 at 22:21:55

Metal Lon? Wow! Never figured it..  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9578 - 11/18/15 at 22:29:29

I like a lot of different types of music. I like Opeth because they don't seem typical metal to me. Damnation certainly is NOT a metal album, it's my favorite.

I just hate American pop music like America, Bread, Eagles, and I'm really tired of some bands such as Pink Floyd. But I like music from all over the world and from the present through the past.

This remix of Damnation really is something!

Right now

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9579 - 11/18/15 at 22:35:41

The one I posted above is a collaboration between Jean-Luc Ponty and Jon Anderson.
Quite a spin on some YES material, plus new stuff, and I think they are actually touring as AndersonPonty Band now.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9580 - 11/18/15 at 22:39:37

Core, Lon is an International Man of Mystery.  He even surprises me sometimes....hehe.

Lon, I didn't listen to Pink Floyd when it was issued...I was into other things.  I did have the first few of the America LPs.  Recently I have picked up some of both and love them via Decware Gear.

I'm going to get to the Cave at 6pm CST for a Vinyl Session.  I picked up some used vinyl from ebay I've yet to spin...some duplicates really cheap.  Mark.

PS...Core, that Ponty Anderson album looks interesting.  I'm a fan of both artists.  I'll look for some samples.

PSS...Lon, I had never owned an Eagles LP before this year...I like them...much of it is new to me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9581 - 11/18/15 at 22:52:30

We all like what we like and that's cool. I don't think I'll ever like the Eagles, or America. . . . Just not my thing.

Really enjoying this Miles, been some time since I last heard it.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9582 - 11/19/15 at 00:20:38

This is a reissue of music recorded in 1954 and 1955 by Ben Webster on a Verve double LP set called "Ballads"...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9583 - 11/19/15 at 00:29:33

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9584 - 11/19/15 at 01:02:39

Ella singing Gershwin...mmmm...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9585 - 11/19/15 at 01:54:16

This is a double verve set of Charlie Parker recordings 1950 to 1951...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9586 - 11/19/15 at 02:47:40

Somehow I had managed not to play this new 33 RPM reissue from Music Matters.  Too much vinyl arrived too quickly.  mmmm too much vinyl?  Anyway, this will be the last LP then off to bed.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9587 - 11/19/15 at 14:17:48

David Bowie, "Tonight"

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9588 - 11/19/15 at 23:27:14

SHM-CD
(aka Curtain Call)

The more I hear Sonny Clark ("featured" on this one, for example) the more I hear the very powerful Bud Powell influence in his playing.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9589 - 11/20/15 at 00:07:51

A few hours in the Cave...this LP first...a little live Pepper...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9590 - 11/20/15 at 00:59:34

Next an ORG vinyl reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9591 - 11/20/15 at 01:46:25

A Speakers corner vinyl reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9592 - 11/20/15 at 02:32:00

This is a Music Matters 33 RPM reissue...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9593 - 11/20/15 at 11:45:44

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9594 - 11/20/15 at 20:04:25

The second disc of the new three cd set of all the masters of A Love Supreme. Highlight for me is the sixth take of the sextet version of Acknowledgement.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9595 - 11/20/15 at 20:29:29

Saltwater Sun, Wild EP....

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9596 - 11/20/15 at 20:57:30

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9597 - 11/20/15 at 21:10:39

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9598 - 11/21/15 at 20:40:08

Now listening to the first disc of this set, to the album as released. This edition sounds very good. . . perhaps the best Redbook version I've heard.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9599 - 11/21/15 at 20:58:59

I've been listening to CDs recently acquired from Ebay.  I started with the Grateful Dead that I already owned to warm the tubes up...I put in another recent ebay purchase of a couple of Amperex 6DJ8s (1961 and 1964) into the Zen Signature Monoblocks...they have sounded better than I remembered this tube type paired with the Zu Audio Souls...

2 CD Set...love Mel..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 192 193 194 ... 512
Send Topic Print