Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1831657 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #9600 - 11/21/15 at 21:12:41

Next a CD remaster done by Larry Walsh in 1991...It's hard to beat Sinatra and Nelson Riddle...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9601 - 11/22/15 at 11:31:48

I put in a pair of 1965 Amperex white label USA 7308s, one newly acquired, into the Zen Signature Monoblocks. I'm trying to give tubes I've bought at least a couple hours in the gear to make sure they work.  I've bought far too many as spares without doing this.  I'm also putting them in white boxes and writing info on the boxes.  As time goes by I forget the info on the tubes and  the info once on ebay disappears. It's helpful to have all the info and test data for the future.

PS...one thing, among many, I like about these monoblocks is that matched pairs are not required as in the Torii.  It allows me a lot of flexibility when buying.  When recording data on boxes, I found one 7308 is not really a 7308 despite the tube being labeled in white print as a Government Contract Amperex 7308.  The etched code revealed it is actually a 1965 Amperex 6922.  I ran it for a long time in the past with another 7308 purchased from the same seller and was none the wiser...so I guess with the Monoblocks I can get away with running different tube types as well.

Anyway, this is a CD of Sessions Benny Carter did with Oscar Peterson...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9602 - 11/22/15 at 11:49:39

This one was so cheap, I bought it even though I already have it.  Would I buy a third copy...mmm...playing CD #2 of 2...

PS...Lon, I see you're online...I have a question.  I have all the Ella songbooks in the latest remastered versions but I've always wondered how the old versions stack up to the newer ones, knowing that newer isn't always better.  The red box set, I would assume, has the first CD versions...do you have that box?  

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9603 - 11/22/15 at 12:47:42

Next is CD #3 of 3 of this Mosaic set. This was another incredible deal...No Box or Booklet...but who cares?...$6

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9604 - 11/22/15 at 14:23:49

Next CD...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9605 - 11/22/15 at 14:45:31

This CD is a reissue of some 1962 recordings originally released by Impulse...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9606 - 11/22/15 at 14:49:54

Playing a 3 LP set that was my Dad's. Perfect music for a steady snowfall.

Really like the cryo'd TAD 12AU7 and two 12AX7s in the ZP3.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9607 - 11/22/15 at 16:30:15

This is the 1st CD edition of Ella's Gershwin Songbook...playing CD #1 of 3.  I also have the newer set with 4 CDs...the fourth CD being alternate takes and remixes.  This one sounds fantastic...I bought it for...get ready...3 bucks!!

I've been busy for the past 40 minutes or so bidding on LPs...lost 3 auctions but won a dozen LPs...a couple more in an hour...a very productive Sunday morning...I just realized, I forgot to watch my Sunday morning TV programs...it's probably best...I know what they'd be talking about...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9608 - 11/22/15 at 16:40:30

Interesting. ..  I just finished listening to the first lp in the Ella Gershwin lp set (from my Dad's collection, an early pressing, in great shape).

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9609 - 11/22/15 at 17:01:47

Lon,  this music in any format continues to amaze me.  I have bought lots of vinyl versions since buying the Rega RP6 TT and ZP3...both originals and reissues but none of the original complete sets.  The Gershwin complete set issued in 1959 was 5 LPs is that the one you have?  Speakers Corner has done a reissue that costs over $500...if I remember correctly...in case you're wondering what to get me for Christmas...hehe

Lon, are the new CD versions of the songbooks better than the old...do you have the red box set?  Mark.

Next CD...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9610 - 11/22/15 at 18:27:54

Next CD...

PS...this has some very nice playing...I'll have to look for more Flip Phillips.  I'm not sure that I've purchased an album of his before.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9611 - 11/22/15 at 20:47:16

Next cd...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9612 - 11/22/15 at 21:20:27

Mark, just went into Dad's collection (that I have now at my place) and turns out I was listening to a box which has a 1959 Verve date on the back, and also 1982 Polydor date. It is in really nice shape and has five lps. I thought it was older than that but it sounds great.

Dad's favorite singer was Ella and his favorite composer is either Gershwin or Beethoven, depends when you ask him.

I like the sound of the newest cds of the Ella songbooks. Others prefer the earlier ones, I can't say that I do. I have had most of the early ones and now have all the newer ones, but not the red box set. I bought the individual sets/single discs as they were released.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9613 - 11/22/15 at 21:26:30

mark58 wrote on 11/22/15 at 18:27:54:
Next CD...

PS...this has some very nice playing...I'll have to look for more Flip Phillips.  I'm not sure that I've purchased an album of his before.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0000/717/MI0000717085.jpg?partner=all...

Most of the Flip that I have I have within the JATP discs. I bought the ten disc set that came out about 20 years ago, man that set ROCKs.

IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Reply #9614 - 11/23/15 at 11:20:29

Took a double-take on these. Kinda cool really.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Overlord-Nos-Nib-Match-Pair-12ax7-HD-ecc803s-Ultimate-...

The future has arrived ? No...1965 !   Smiley

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9615 - 11/23/15 at 20:06:18

Been too long since I played this favorite!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9616 - 11/23/15 at 22:06:42

This is the SH*T. 'Retha is the one that really gets to me, on Columbia, on Atlantic, whatever.

Listening to the mono.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9617 - 11/23/15 at 22:45:23

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9618 - 11/24/15 at 00:50:56

I've rolled different input tubes into the Zen Signature Monoblocks.  When I bought them in a lot of 5, these two were said to be unmarked Holland made Amperex 6DJ8s... The pictures weren't good enough to see the codes though and the price was low so I took a chance.  What they are after inspection is a pair of 1959 6DJ8s made by La Radiotechnique in Cinchy, France. I assume the tooling is from Phillips/Amperex since there are seams on the tops. I've only played one CD so far and they seem to have more "Sparkle" then the Holland made Amperex (Bugle Boy) 6DJ8s...in other words more high end and less bass. They probably need more time to sound their best but my guess is they won't spend a lot of time in the Amps.

Finished the first and started CD #4 of this box set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9619 - 11/24/15 at 02:00:17

CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9620 - 11/24/15 at 12:27:45

Starting the day off with a BANG. This is the Japanese SHM-CD which I strongly prefer to the US versions.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9621 - 11/24/15 at 13:57:33

On to cooler sounds.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9622 - 11/24/15 at 20:17:00

I forgot how good this one is, I'm listening to the SHM-CD. The "ETC." on the cover is McCoy Tyner; he was under contract to Impulse at the time and was not allowed to be shown on another label's front cover.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9623 - 11/25/15 at 00:53:02

The 2013 remaster with the new alternates. Love this session.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9624 - 11/25/15 at 13:24:43

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9625 - 11/25/15 at 14:18:32

So Lon,  what's the verdict on the Ellington Box, the Art Blakey Box and the live Monk box? I plan on ordering them on Black Friday. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9626 - 11/25/15 at 14:37:20

They're all good boxes. I think I really didn't need to have the Ellington and the Monk as they didn't offer much in the way of new mastering. . . though the Monk does have about a half an hour of material added to the second disc of the Newport two cd set that I only had on lesser sounding bits here and there on other cds. The Blakey offers a lot of new mastering for me and is good material. I have this problem because I have been buying cds from Ellington and Monk obsessively all my adult life, others will probably get more "newness" from these box sets.

Right now

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9627 - 11/25/15 at 16:38:18

A little too mellow for me normally...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9628 - 11/25/15 at 18:02:31

More of Szabo's Martin with a pickup installed. . ..

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9629 - 11/26/15 at 00:06:22

I put a pair of recently acquired but untested by me, RCA Black Plate triple mica 5751s into the ZP3 tonight...sound nice

Playing a Japanese Vinyl reissue of this LP from a recent ebay purchase...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9630 - 11/26/15 at 00:41:23

Another recent ebay purchase...a 1975 reissue of this album originally released in 1960...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9631 - 11/26/15 at 02:29:14

OK...I got behind a bit.  Listened to the first one, a Japanese reissue and started the second, a OJC reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9632 - 11/26/15 at 03:13:52

This LP next...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9633 - 11/26/15 at 12:23:05

In the Den listening.  I'm trying a Mullard 6DJ8 tube manufactured at the Blackburn plant in 1958 or 1968...not sure...more likely a 1968.  Since I only have one Mullard, I have paired it with a 1964 Holland made Amperex 6DJ8 that I picked up for $10 but hadn't tested yet.  I've listened to the below CD with my Zen Signature Monos tubed this way and it sounds great...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9634 - 11/26/15 at 12:28:18

From the new box set. If I have a chance I may compare to the same disc in the old box set.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9635 - 11/26/15 at 12:29:55

This next.  Tim Buckley was an interesting musician.  Like many, his life ended way too soon... then his talented son met a similar fate.  I like this double CD Live performance...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9636 - 11/26/15 at 12:39:29

Mr. Turkey is on the Big Green Egg and I am chillin to this...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9637 - 11/26/15 at 12:48:05

OK...Core, now translate...on the Big Green Egg? Is that a grill or smoker?  My Turkey is thawing on the counter and my Mom will pick it up this morning.  I'll go to my parents home this afternoon and do my duty...eating my fill of the goobler and all the fixin's.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9638 - 11/26/15 at 13:32:29

CD #1 of 3 of this set recorded live in 1983.  I think this first CD is mainly the Stan Getz Quartet with Chet Baker joining on the last tune or two...the other two discs have more of Chet...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9639 - 11/26/15 at 13:59:08

Probably last disc of the day, or at least til evening. . . . Man, Aretha is IT.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9640 - 11/26/15 at 14:14:06

Hey Lon,  is that out of the Atlantic Box Set that has her Atlantic albums through about 1972...19 CDs? I'm not familiar with many of the albums.  I thought about getting it but I don't listen to the CDs I have much and this is a bit Pricey at $90...at least for me...I know it's less than $5 per CD.  Mark

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9641 - 11/26/15 at 14:25:01

No, I haven't bought that set as it is not remastered and I have all the cds within it. A great deal for someone who doesn't have it. . . a few weeks about it was on sale at amazon Italy for about 30 dollars, I know a few people plucked copies then.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9642 - 11/26/15 at 14:28:51

Actually, from marketplace sellers at amazon.com you can get that set for about 60 bucks. . . .

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9643 - 11/26/15 at 14:47:19

Mark, It's both actually. One of the best gifts my wife ever gave me, but I think her motives may have been self serving....  :)

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/sizes/

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9644 - 11/26/15 at 14:53:05

Lon,  30 bucks is my speed...I'll see what comes up on black friday...cyber monday.  I have only about 5 or 6 of her early Atlantic albums and a compilation box...not sure where it is, so this box would be a nice way to explore this period of her career more thoroughly.

Now this favorite...CD #4 of 6.  It's amazing how good the two mis-matched tubes sound (one 60's Mullard and one 60's Amperex)...I paid about $17 total for them.  Getting good sounding old tubes doesn't have to be expensive.  Mark.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9645 - 11/26/15 at 15:02:34

Very cool Core...I would guess you have a large or XL to do a turkey....

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9646 - 11/26/15 at 15:49:06

Well, nineteen discs of Aretha is worth sixty bucks! I'm just biased in that I love her, over time I've come to see her as an amazing force in music, and even grown to love her Columbia albums (the box set of those, not n print long enough at all, is excellent) as much as her Atlantic. Fall and winter I tend to play her music to get some spice into the air.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9647 - 11/26/15 at 16:27:01

Lon,  I admit I haven't given Aretha the attention I probably should.  Playing one of my favorite female vocalists now...

PS...I love Laura Nyro's albums. I just wish they had been recorded better.  I'm not sure if even the best engineers could make the original tapes sound as good as this music deserves.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9648 - 11/26/15 at 17:28:22

This CD now.  This was the LP I carried around when I was auditioning speakers in 1980.  I would drop the needle on side one and crank it up.  It seemed in every store there would be at least one person who would ask me who is that?  I ended up buying a Demo pair of ESS AMT 10 B monitors...loved those speakers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaPOya_8T88

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9649 - 11/26/15 at 17:48:42

And now for something completely different...CD #1 of 2...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 193 194 195 ... 512
Send Topic Print