Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 ... 512
Send Topic Print
What's spinning? (Read 1833205 times)
mark58
Seasoned Member

Re: What's spinning?
Reply #9900 - 12/25/15 at 21:22:32

This CD now...a little Joni for my soul...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9901 - 12/26/15 at 03:04:34

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9902 - 12/26/15 at 04:21:25

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9903 - 12/26/15 at 09:33:07

Woke up at 2:30 am...so I'm starting a bit early.  this wonderful set again...I'll go backwards this time...CD #6 of 6...

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9904 - 12/26/15 at 11:17:09

I dug this gem out from the bottom of a huge stack of CDs and will make my way through the 8 CD set in the near future. I recommend the recordings in any format.  Just get them and listen. These recordings can be hypnotic, mesmerizing, there really aren't adequate words to describe them. I'll start, of course, with CD #1...

PS...for anyone who wants to listen before purchase, this whole set is on spotify under "John Coltrane Quartet" as the artist.  You young guys have no idea how good you have it.  In the "Old Days" most of my purchases were done without sampling.  Often bought because I liked the artists on the LP or instrumentation  or tunes.  Now between you tube, spotify and other streaming services you can usually listen to all tracks on a particular album you are considering. I'm sure many don't even purchase individual titles and use streaming services as their "Music Library".

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9905 - 12/26/15 at 12:32:48

CD #3 of 3 of this set...very nice indeed...

Lon, listening to some of Nina's RCA albums, I've found them sort of hit or miss.  There are usually several tunes I like on each album but on the same album I often find overly orchestrated tunes or tunes with lame back ground vocals...these tunes sound dated. So I won't be getting the RCA box and probably  not most of the albums.  Now the Coplix output I have enjoyed with the exception of the Ellington album which was a big disappointment.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9906 - 12/26/15 at 12:50:21

mark58 wrote on 12/26/15 at 11:17:09:
I dug this gem out from the bottom of a huge stack of CDs and will make my way through the 8 CD set in the near future. I recommend the recordings in any format.  Just get them and listen. These recordings can be hypnotic, mesmerizing, there really aren't adequate words to describe them. I'll start, of course, with CD #1...

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/beta3-uploads/pins/2014/12/big/ad83f31b4451e2...

This is essential music in my listening world, I've been listening to these albums since the 'seventies. I sold many of my LPs in the 'nineties and wish I hadn't as I've chased digital versions all around, finding various Japanese issues to be the best. I have that box set but haven't listened to it in a looooong time. . . . Great music.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9907 - 12/26/15 at 12:54:30

That's pretty much how I feel about the Nina Simone material too. The RCA set was cheap enough that I bought it. The Philips material is more consistently better imo. The Colpix is the top of the heap, as well as the Bethlehem material. She's a talent but she was a commercial entity in ways that other "jazz" talents weren't and that shaped her work, especially her later work.

No music for me for a long while. I'm trying to finish up a Blu-ray set of Season 1 of "The Leftovers" so I can mail it off to my best friend in Texas to enjoy. Love this show! (Sounds good on headphones). And the rest of the day will be family events where some Xmas music may be played through my brother's little mini-system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9908 - 12/26/15 at 13:34:21

CD #3 of this Ella set...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9909 - 12/26/15 at 15:08:54

Now this CD which is one of two included in a 2 cd reissue by Concord...

http://www.allmusic.com/album/new-york-scene-mw0000187860

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9910 - 12/26/15 at 15:31:42

Next CD from the Mono Dylan box...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9911 - 12/27/15 at 01:44:38

CD #2 of 8...

I came home early because of severe weather.  North Texas has had several Tornadoes touch down in the last hour or so.  My neighborhood escaped any significant damage and the bad weather has passed further north east.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9912 - 12/27/15 at 10:20:45

Coffee and Paul Desmond...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9913 - 12/27/15 at 11:14:38

CD #5 of 6...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9914 - 12/27/15 at 16:51:22

In the Cave and beginning with LP #1 of 2 of this reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9915 - 12/27/15 at 17:52:07

Next this Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissue...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9916 - 12/27/15 at 19:01:36

This Music Matters 33 RPM Blue Note reissue...

I switched back to my standard ZP3 tube compliment so I can fairly evaluate the Zu Audio Mission Power cord I put on the ZP3 replacing the Decware DHC-1 that had been there previously...two Sylvania Triple Mica Black plate 5751s in the 12AX7 spots and a RCA Triple Mica Black Plate 5814 in the 12AU7 spot. I did this because I thought the Mullard 12AX7 and/or the RCA Triple mica Black Plate 5751 might be coloring my opinion since they are warmer tubes than the Sylvanias.

Well, even with this tube compliment, I do get the impression that the Zu Mission has taken some of the edge off the cymbals/Treble...a good thing...compared to the DHC-1 cord.  Could it be that the Mission is all copper and the Decware is silver plated cooper?  Also the Mission is shielded and the Decware is not.  And there's something more...I want to say the sound is cleaner or clearer...I don't know but I like it. It will stay put.  Now in the Cave all cords are the Zu Audio Mission Power Cords except from the wall to the RSA Jaco Power Conditioner where I have a Running Springs Audio Mongoose that came with the Conditioner.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9917 - 12/27/15 at 19:05:41

:D

Glad you tried it and glad that the results were positive.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9918 - 12/27/15 at 19:41:01

Yup Lon,  thanks for prodding me to try it. I'm set for cabling in the Cave but I would buy a couple 1 meter pairs of Voodoo Stradivarius interconnects for $300 each...should they pop up. I also want to try a different speaker cable in my second system.  I was thinking of trying a Mapleshade like yours if one pops up cheap.  I should try the Nanotech systems speaker cables in the second system but have been too lazy to take them out of the Cave...also I'd be without them for a while in the Cave... not a pleasant thought.  But today I'll just enjoy things as they are.  Mark.

Almost forgot...this from the S&G Vinyl reissue box...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9919 - 12/27/15 at 20:44:16

This now...

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9920 - 12/27/15 at 20:59:24

I haven't listened to this in a while...let's see how the changes affect it...
It's a Speakers Corner reissue and Man is it GOOD!!...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9921 - 12/27/15 at 21:04:47

I have NEVER seen Stradivarius (or at least legit ones) that cheap, cheapest I've seen is 500 or so for the very earliest ones in 1 meter length.

Still no music for me, just watched the Browns lose because Lucy likes to watch them; I'm looking forward to tomorrow, going to spin some vinyl; "Spincleaned" about 100 today. Wink

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9922 - 12/27/15 at 21:31:59

Nor have I Lon Wink.  But if I do, I'll buy them.  I have seen a Cremora for $600 ask  and the oldest Stradivarius for $500 ask.  We'll see.

Remind me of the model of your Mapleshade speaker cables and what you paid.  I saw one on ebay a longtime ago but didn't buy them for some reason...don't remember.  They are cooper with no silver right?  Mark.

PS...Man you are a Spin Clean Freak.  I've owned mine for near two years and it has yet to emerge from the box....hehe.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9923 - 12/27/15 at 21:57:04

Next LP...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9924 - 12/27/15 at 22:35:12

Mark, I use Double Helix Plus and I think I have a 12' pair and paid about 400 dollars.

Looks as if these are now just about to be "history" as they are in closeout (but seem to be the same price I paid a few years ago)(I don't think I have the "V. 2" still available but am not sure any longer):

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Double-Helix-Speaker-Cable-with-PLUS-Upgrade-Clo...

I thought that mine were all copper, these say copper that is silver-plated. Anyway, I love mine, they took a bit to burn in but when they did the Zen Styx went into my second system and then later to another home via the classifieds here on the board. Very cool cables imo. Too expensive? Probably. But they've stopped me wondering about speaker cables, I'm good. I'd buy them again for another system.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9925 - 12/27/15 at 22:52:06

Was able to sneak in an LP and chose this one. . . . Nice.

PS: The Spin Clean has been a big help to me. A lot of my records are from the early 'seventies to the early 'eighties and have quite a bit of history in the grooves. Spin Clean gets them nice and clean easily. I'm slowly going through all of them and spinning them clean when I have the time. ..  I'm about a third of the way through (about eight sessions or so).

IP Logged
darrwood

Reply #9926 - 12/27/15 at 23:10:39

Lon, I like the Pablo recordings they are affordable and sound real, like a group of great musicians got together and jammed.   I've never used the spin clean sounds like it should work well.. I bought a music hall vacuum cleaner through a local store at cost.  I clean everything new or old before I play it. It makes a big difference sonically and keeps the needle and everything clean with less static and less fuzz etc. less maintainance at play time!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9927 - 12/27/15 at 23:24:08

Cool, I'd like a vacuum cleaner one day. The Spin Clean is good enough for me, at least now. It's fun to use it.

Yes, Pablo LPs are good value. And this one is nice!

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9928 - 12/27/15 at 23:32:55

Thanks Lon,  I have left the Cave and I'm fixing some dinner.  I've been reading reviews of the Mapleshade cables and most like them but a recurring observation is that they lack "weight" this concerns me plus the fact that they are silver plated.  I think I want to get away from silver...the nanotechs that work so well for me in the Cave only have particles of silver and gold suspended in oil. Also on that closeout...all sales are final.  I may buy some used for much less than $400 if I see a pair.  I guess the smartest thing to do is try the nanotechs in my second system and if they work better than the Zu Libtecs, get another pair.  I found a place where I could buy a 10 foot pair unterminated for about $185.  Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9929 - 12/27/15 at 23:43:09

Cool. I will say the last thing I would say about these are that they "lack weight." They don't. And there's no hint of the problems I have found in some silver cables before. I'm really happy with them and am glad I found them. Definitely would recommend them cheaper. . . but I'd get the "Plus" version if you can.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9930 - 12/28/15 at 01:40:01

I picked up this promo copy at a Half Price Books and Records in 1997.  It has a 10 track sample from the 6 CD box set...

Lon, I trust your ears and will continue to watch for a set of the Mapleshades.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9931 - 12/28/15 at 03:48:44

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9932 - 12/28/15 at 12:09:35

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9933 - 12/28/15 at 14:31:33

Cafe Bohemia material

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9934 - 12/28/15 at 19:07:13

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9935 - 12/28/15 at 20:23:58

Teddy Wilson, Mosaic Records Complete Commodore Records Vol.1, record three.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9936 - 12/28/15 at 21:14:51

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9937 - 12/28/15 at 22:01:26

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9938 - 12/28/15 at 22:35:54

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9939 - 12/28/15 at 23:55:48

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9940 - 12/29/15 at 00:14:57

CD #3 of 8...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9941 - 12/29/15 at 01:02:53

The Culture Factory reissue.

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9942 - 12/29/15 at 01:05:39

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9943 - 12/29/15 at 01:58:30

CD #1 of 4 from this box...

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9944 - 12/29/15 at 02:46:48

Decided to stream this one after seeing Lon post the QSMS original..
Quite a different sound from this incarnation.

IP Logged
Luis

Reply #9945 - 12/29/15 at 10:52:01

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9946 - 12/29/15 at 15:30:08

Re-mastered edition....

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9947 - 12/29/15 at 16:15:23

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9948 - 12/29/15 at 16:20:35

IP Logged
Core32
Seasoned Member

Reply #9949 - 12/29/15 at 16:44:06

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 199 200 201 ... 512
Send Topic Print