Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/20/24 at 16:22:37 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Q for Steve re CCE mod (Read 6419 times)
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Q for Steve re CCE mod
10/14/09 at 18:43:29

Sacrilege perhaps, but would this be applicable to non-Decware gear utilizing EL84/ variants & EL34 in either SET or P/P operation?

I'm not ashamed to admit that like many DIYers, I've "borrowed" more than a couple of ideas from a variety of sources, including Decware and Bottlehead designs.  

That Steve so freely describes in lesser or greater details many of his better ideas has certainly enhanced many a hobbyist's experience during the past 10 years.  

If I was a few hours drive from Peoria, I'd likely visit Steve directly; but being located on the Wet Coast of Canada offers some significant logistical issues, delays and expense when shipping products back and forth across the border for service or modification.  

Finally, have I missed a "what's new" announcement regarding the new ZEN-DAC that was apparently a big hit at the recent Fest?

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Q for Steve re CCE mod
Reply #1 - 10/14/09 at 19:41:58

I would think that if you knew how to wire it up th CCE mod would work in similar circuits in other amps.

As for the DAC. . . here's the thread that Steve started about it.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1249180404

Includes an article/paper too, linked.

I've already heard rumors about it.:)  Such as it will cost THREE GRAND! Smiley  That's far too rich for most of us cheapskate Decwarerers.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
chrisby
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 10/14/09 at 22:02:35

thanks, Lon

After reading Alan Hope's blog post on building of latest ZenKit,  the installation of this mod certainly looks simple enough, and unless someone was to get silly with Deuland or Mundorf caps, the cost would be minimal.

As to the ZENDAC, if the rumored price is correct, it would certainly be out of this cheapskate's budget any time soon.  

FWIW, I've had opportunity to audition  variety of moderate to very good USB DACs, and as an iMac user, based on a small sample group,  would probably lean towards a FireWire based unit.

not so easy, this giving it up thing ...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 10/14/09 at 22:14:09

I'm not sure the rumor is true, and even if it were Steve mentions he would eventually work towards a set of cheaper options.

I'm one of those guys who doesn't enjoy merging his computer with his music.  Yes I have iTunes and an iPod but I really enjoy my CD players and my amps and speakers.  I'm not going to look for a cool USB DAC for my main system. . . I have one for my bedrooms system and that's fine and dandy there but. . . I'm going to remain terribly old fashioned with the main system.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 10/14/09 at 22:21:10

chrisby,
I think there is a post around here that CCE was done to a Dynaco ST70. EL34 tubes yep.

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/14/09 at 22:31:03

Resistance is futile.
  IP Logged
veryoldcat
Seasoned Member

dam*ed if you do,
and dam*ed if you
don't

Reply #6 - 10/17/09 at 17:03:45

Yes, well I shamelessly installed the CCE mod on my old ST70 after hearing the incredible effect  it had on my Decware Select.

The only drawback is you have to short the cap mod with clip-leads to set the bias voltage.

The improvement was tremendous, btw, and totally worth the minimal trouble and minor expense. The effect was as if you had used a bucket of boutique transformers, chokes and capacitors.

Karl

SE84CS (vcapped), CSP, zbox, Dec685, ZP 1.0, Sota tt/Well-Tempered Arm/V15XMR, Parker 98's, Parker Audio *Power Chords*, cat 6 wires, OSX; a garage sale of other stuff...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print