Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 19:54:22 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Decware Torii MKIII  w/black Figured base for sale (Read 10386 times)
CK722
Seasoned Member

Decware Torii MKIII  w/black Figured base for sale
09/17/13 at 19:27:36

Thinking of selling my Torii MKIII.  I will double check but I think it's about 1.5 years old or less. It has the stepped attenuator. The only thing different is I had the 2nd input wired to bypass the attenuator.

Selling to order a new MKIV.

*Included is approx. $700 or more worth of NOS tubes*

I will include any one pair of the following your choice:

One pair of RTF labeled (Amperex-Owned factory made) French Mazda made 7308 gold pin NOS tubes (sweet like the Amperex with better dynamics).

One pair of NOS Amperex USN-CEP-6922 (made for USA military I have several NOS pairs in the OEM box).

One pair of NOS Amperex PQ or SQ white labeled 6922’s (need to check my stock so don't hold me to this one.)

One NOS pair of Mullard E188CC’s (ultra- low noise, matched triode sections, standard military pins, nice warm sound).

Also included is any one quad shown below, your choice:

One NOS quad of RTF EL-34’s. (Very dynamic and generally long lasting. Sounds better than ANY current production tubes)

One NOS quad of Mullard made Westinghouse labeled EL-34’s. (Wonderful mid-range but not as dynamic as the RTF’s and a bit rolled on the top end). Some people like these better, but I prefer the Siemens / RTF.

Your one pair choice of voltage regulators (I have OA3 through OD3) and one NOS pair of OC2 (VR75).

I will include NOS rectifiers but need to see what I have in stock.

If interested, let me know if you need interconnects or a good power cable and I will see what I have left.

There will be at least two packages. The amp will be packed separately with the Pelican case. Buyer covers shipping cost.

Asking $2,600 + shipping. I will cover Paypal fees. I won't have this up for sale long. If no one buys it soon, I will end up sending it back for the upgrade. I can have everything ready to ship within a week or so.  

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: Decware Torii MKIII  w/black Figured base for sale
Reply #1 - 09/17/13 at 22:00:25

You have some great tubes to go along with the MK III.  It won't last long!

Mike

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 09/18/13 at 15:09:46

I changed the above a bit since yesterday. I will either list the amp on Ebay / Audiogon or keep it and send back for the upgrade NO later than the end of this weekend. With the price of the Torii IV anticipated to be well over $3,500 and several month wait, I am of the opinion the above is a very good deal. Due to the nature of tubes I will only warranty them for 15 days of receiving them. I do guarantee them to test NOS and will test them again right before packing.  No warranty from me on the amp (other than it's not DOA and sounds stellar) but you can contact Decware to inquire about transferring their lifetime warranty if they still have this option.  If so, I can ship directly to Decware if you like. You could choose to pay to have it upgraded at during this time too. This would leave the buyer with an approx. 3-4 week wait (one for me to get ready to ship & 2-3 at Decware), end up with a Torii IV with a compliment of tubes that transform this amp into another league that will probably out last any current production tubes for about the same price as a new amp before the new amp price goes up!

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/18/13 at 19:37:30

Thanks Mike! Not sure what other people think but to me, the right NOS tubes can completely transform audio equipment like nothing else. In fact, I can't stand to listen to any of my equipment with any current production tubes. Many times I have went back to various current production tubes in hope to save money. Each time I did this it took about 5 minutes to ask myself why I wasted more money buying these stupid tubes! Even the Russian 6H23's or Tungsram E88CC's that can be had for less than $50 sound better. Or I should say, in my opinion and in my gear.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 09/18/13 at 21:39:44

I totally agree with you.  The positive improvements created by the right NOS tubes, oftentimes are flat out amazing!

I'm thinking about purchasing new production KT66's for my Mk III to Mk IV conversion,  and I really hesitate to buy current production stuff.
Sonics aside, there is often the question of durability.

Mike

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 09/20/13 at 01:48:51

I am boxing my Torii up now. If I don't get an email by the time I can pack and take it up to Fedex Kinkos, it's no longer for sale. That will be okay too because I won't be without it for months. I may not need audiophile rehab this way!

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #6 - 09/20/13 at 02:28:27

I have tube rolled most EL34s - NOS variety.

If you ever get the chance to get metal based Philips EL34s, do not hesitate!

They outperform every other NOS variant including Mullards XF2s and Amperex DD brown base getters.
The transformative effect is 10x better by way of analogy from switching over to NOS from New Production EL34s.

I have also gotten hold of the GEC GRAYglass KT66.
Can't wait it try them out in my Torii MK4. Smiley

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 09/20/13 at 04:21:44

Thanks for the info Lord! I assume these are Holland made Phillips?

IP Logged
CK722
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 09/20/13 at 04:23:59

My Torii is no longer for sale! I got the goddess all packed up and she is now in the hands of Fedex. I already miss it!!  Steve, is my amp done yet??   Wink

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #9 - 09/20/13 at 06:02:31

Hi Roy,

Yes. My Philips Metalbase EL34s were made in Holland.
They cost around US$1 grand for a Quad ( and with luck) if you can get hold of them.

They have an inner resolution which surpasses every other EL34 out there.

They are so good that a NOS quad of those in a MK3 pitted against an MK4 with the GEC Grayglass KT66 would be akin to watching Mohammed Ali take on Mike Tyson!

If I had a MK3 too, I'll be able to conduct a fairer powertube shootout.

IP Logged
Boxertwin
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 07/29/14 at 16:09:34

What did you think of your MkIII once you got it back upgraded? What were the differences?

Csp2+, Torii mkIV, TeacUD501, Thorens 145, Adcom GCD700, Decware DNA speakers, Cornscala speakers, MG944's
  IP Logged
jorgen
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 07/29/14 at 19:32:46

Hi guys
A little off topic question for those of you who been into this game a.little.longer. Doesn't mean to hijack the topic, but...

I have at the moment a.minitorii and love it, but I am also thinking of getting an used Tori mk3/4 in the future. Here in Norway we have 240v power and there isn't a lot of used Tori s out there with 240 v..

Can I use some sort of adapter and buy a 110v? I know I can use them on other gear but this is a fairly delicate thing to mess with..

If I buy a used one what would you estimate decware would charge to convert it to be a 240

Thanks guys

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/30/14 at 07:42:37

Jorgen,

Since power cords and different power conditioners can all be heard with the Torii, I would hesitate to use a power convertor unless it was very clean power coming from it (is that even a possibility?).

You can email Steve and ask him specifically about the 240v conversion? It might take him a little while to get back, but he would know best what would be involved.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print