Send Topic Print
Re: PS Audio P300 (Read 7885 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: PS Audio P300
05/20/14 at 04:08:49

Check with Palomino - I think he was still looking for one for his second system.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #1 - 05/21/14 at 14:16:52

PM sent.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/21/14 at 14:32:10

Palimino,  I see that the listing for this PS Audio P300 has been removed.  I assume you bought it.  You're lucky that you moved quickly because I had started doing some research on it and may have bought it.  I was slowed down yesterday with my purchase from Mike of his "SE84ZSM Monoblocks with CKC mod, Jupiter Caps".  

I personally like the old listings to remain on the site.  I'll do searches to see what things were sold and for how much...when I am considering something.  You paid what?  $475 for this? How old was it?  I want details...hehe.  Good Get!  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/14 at 15:31:49

Yes, I worked out a deal with 4K.

I don't know the age.  It's an earlier unit with a fan, but 4K installed a fan switch.

This is for a secondary system, but I have just found that a proper power foundation is required to get the most out of my Rachaels.  I have the Power Plant Premiere and will be interested in seeing how this unit compares.

I have found these units routinely go for $475 to $525 plus shipping.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/21/14 at 15:50:32

Palomino,  thanks for the info.  4krow had actually replied to my post via personal message.   I'd be interested in your experience with the PS Audio products specifically and your views on the Conditioner VS Regeneration debate.  I'm just now starting my research on this.  I'll copy my reply to 4krow below...It will save time and effort.  Mark.

4krow,  thanks for the heads up.  I'll start up my research later today.  I already have two Running Springs Audio Conditioners...the Jaco in the main system and a Haley in the second.  I don't know how good my power is...a few years ago someone told me my circuit breaker box had been hooked up wrong, using one trunk rather than two.  It's all Greek to me.  The bottom-line is that I had a new breaker box put in and the lines straightened out by a licenced electrician.

I am just starting my investigation of the whole regeneration vs conditioning debate but thought I might try one of the PS audio products if it cost less than $500.  I'd have to find out if my components total less than 300W...I'm sure the second does but the primary with the Torii, preamp, CD player, TT and ZP3 Phono Stage...I don't know.  That's 5 things to plug in anyway, so one would be left out.  Let me know what happens.  I'd also like to hear your experience with Regeneration with PS Audio Products.  Mark.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/21/14 at 19:51:13

See my thread here:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1394562824

I can't really speak to regen versus conditioning.  Raven brought his P10 over and I tried it with my Rachael and immediately started searching.  I ended up with a used Power Plant Premier.   It's had the biggest impact on my SQ over anything I have tried except my room treatments.  A true wow moment.

I didn't want a full blown (large, expensive) unit for my secondary system so I started looking around for a P300.

Lonely Raven did some research on regen vs conditioning.  You might PM him to get his perspectives...although you know going in he went the regen route.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/21/14 at 20:20:39

Thanks Palamino,  I've been very happy with the Running Springs Audio Conditioners and would only make a permanent switch if an A/B comparison with my own ears convinced me to do so.  What kind of money back trial do they come with when bought new?  At this point I've got bigger fish to fry and my interest will probably be limited to reading about them.  To use another over used saying...one (Audio) bird in hand is better than two in the bush. Or another one I like and use often...The enemy of "Good" is "Better". Mark.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 05/21/14 at 20:26:59

Just my quick take.

Good filtration/isolation *can* give you blacker blacks.

Power Regen on my ZMA was maybe a 5% improvement...maybe.

But on my little Zen amp, and Palomino's Rachels it was a WOW improvement. It give the Zen amp a sweetness like a very well seasoned amp, *and* blacker backgrounds, plus a little tighter bottom end. Like Paul from PS Audio says, it's like putting big caps on your gear (which the ZMA already has, which is why the improvement is minimal).

I really don't notice much, if anything on the Oppo or my video projector. Maybe blacker backgrounds. It's really the tube amps that I felt the regeneration makes a bigger improvement. I think the (quality) digital gear probably has it's power supplies well worked out so the improvement is pretty minimal.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 05/21/14 at 20:28:28

Mark, I do know that if you buy from Music Direct (a PS Audio dealer) you will have a thirty day trial period and be able to return them with no hassle before then if you wish.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/21/14 at 20:52:47

I would only add to Raven's accurate description that the unit really makes the bottom end work.  I went from slightly mushy to tight and musical.

Overall, I listen at lower volume now.  I don't know if it is louder or just better detail at lower volumes.

It got better with the AC12 feeding it from the wall and then another smaller improvement when I went with the AC9 from the PPP to the Rachael.

I'd really like to hear what filtration can do as well, but for now, its regen.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #10 - 05/22/14 at 22:06:36

First of all, thank you Palomino for working out a good deal for both of us, considering the sale of the P300. I am quite positive that you will be satisfied and more with it's performance. The 'cradle' that I included will be easy to assemble, and can make the unit available for use on carpets.
 Now, I read that you guys are discussing the changes in performance of units fed through the PS Audio regenerators. Specifically, I am a huge fan of balanced power, and have owned some kind of balanced power supply for the last 15 years. BPT puts out a tremendous product for just such a situation, and considering the size of the unit (it weighs 65 pounds!), I doubt that there is any problem with current delivery. Combine that with the beefy power cords, and I believe most of your current concerns are gone(Yes, pun intended). I think that if you address the situation at least from the breaker box onward, your chances of better sound will increase. As of now, I can't even imagine a better sounding system, and I have owned some pretty beefy brands in my time. POWER COMES FIRST (probably tied with acoustic treatment for the room).

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print