Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 21:12:02 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTB: Tang Band W8-1808 Drivers (Read 5020 times)
tlarwa

WTB: Tang Band W8-1808 Drivers
10/12/14 at 02:26:59

Starting a new ZOB build, and would like to use these drivers, per Steve's evaluation in Part V.  Would like to find a used pair that have already been broken in, if possible.  Contact me via PM or at softrideguy <at> gmail <dot> com.

Thanks,

Tom

IP Logged
davisoly
Verified Member

Re: WTB: Tang Band W8-1808 Drivers
Reply #1 - 10/20/14 at 03:40:24

I have no speakers for you any longer. I sold mine about six months ago to help finance a pair of Steve's FRX drivers. Yes, I built a pair of ZOBs a year ago, and mounted the Tang Band speakers.  There was a waiting list for the FRX speaker. Rather than wait, I bought the TBs from Parts Express and mounted them. I was shocked at the outcome.
First, the speakers actually worked. Next, they worked wonderfully! I promise that you will not be disappointed. The speakers have a marvelous voice, and express detail and dynamics like few others I have been able to afford. The FRX seem to smooth things out at the high end. Are they worth it? I guess maybe, but I think a sub-woofer adds more.
I compare them favorably with my other speakers, a pair of Gallo 3.1. The gallos have a special ribbon type of driver for the highs that makes them as transparent as electrostatics. In this area they beat the ZOBs. However, I pulled the Gallos in favor of the ZOBs and then employed the bass speakers of the Gallos as a sub system for the ZOBs. I have never enjoyed my music so much.
The are amped by a pair of Decware Super Zen Triodes. The result is a richness and as detailed presentation as I've ever heard, balance from the lowest lows to the highest highs. I tell you all of this so to prepare you for the pleasure your building experience will ultimately bring. I hope you can find a pair of TBs for your project. Keep me up to date on your progress, if you think of it.
Lynn Davison

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #2 - 10/21/14 at 04:21:44

Thanks, Lynn.  It's always good to get some confirmation of a plan before plunking down cash on a bad idea!  I'll be starting the build soon, but am in no hurry, so I still have time to find a set of TB's.  If not, I'll buy a new pair and break them in for a few weeks while I finish the cabs.  I will be using 1 1/2" hard Maple butcher block for the baffles, and 18mm MDF for the cabs.  I plan on spraying the cabs in gloss black and finishing the baffles in clear poly.  I have some F11 acoustical felt for the baffle/cabinet seal and the inside surfaces of the side panels.  This will be my 2nd speaker build, having built a pair of Frugelhorns a year or so ago.  So I'm looking forward to a new project.  Any other advice or suggestions is appreciated, as is some pics of your ZOB's, if possible!

Thanks again,

Tom

IP Logged
tlarwa

Reply #3 - 10/28/14 at 00:20:52

Bump in' it up.  No one out there upgraded drivers to the FRX2 and wants to unload their 1808's?

IP Logged
tlarwa

FOUND: Tang Band W8-1808 Drivers
Reply #4 - 11/06/14 at 17:30:18

Got a minty pair of the 'bay for ~$125 less than I could've from P-E.  Yeah!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print