Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 19:51:51 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WTB new rectifiers for my Torii MKIV (Read 17716 times)
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

WTB new rectifiers for my Torii MKIV
02/16/15 at 04:22:04

Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking a while about trying new rectifiers on my Torii and came across a thread in the Torii support forums in which Lord Sloth said just this.....

"Or if you want to cut to the chase, just get a pair of Brimar 5R4GY rectifiers for slightly more than the Philips 5R4GY .
You will never have to look over your shoulder for the next best rectifier."  ;)

That sounds like my cup of tea, but I haven't been able to find a pair of them.  I did research the Phillips rectifiers at upscale and wonder how much more the Bimar's will cost.  $200 is an investment and I'm willing to make it, but unfortunately my pockets can only go so deep.

Does anyone know where to locate a pair of Bimar 5R4Gy's?  Could anyone tell me what I might expect to pay for a pair of them?  

When I think of how wonderful the Torii sounds, I almost cannot imagine how much better it might sound.  The only tube changing I have done to it was to find a pair of Amperex 7308's for the inputs.  How lovely that was!

Thanks for having a read.  I appreciate any and all help and guidance.

Dan

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Syd
Seasoned Member

Re: WTB new rectifiers for my Torii MKIV
Reply #1 - 02/16/15 at 10:52:03

Dan, I have a pair of those Brimar 5R4GY`s CV 717. It may have been Lord Soths mini rec shootout that put me on their trail. I may have been lucky that a pair were available. Long time ago and e-bay records wont go back that far but the figure of £67.00 comes into my head. Single or pair ? Probably pair.
The "Potato Masher" thread has had me looking for this tube as well and I cant find any ( Lord Soths thread gets thrown up on google as well ).
There seem to be some variants with the print on the tube.
My ones have 2 bottom vertical `O` getters, black, ribbed with an angled support rod.
I cant give you an evaluation as to what they sound like as they have been in my Rachaels for over a year....but because of the "Potato Masher thread I have pulled them out, replaced them with a pr RCA`s and just put one in the CSP2+. Immediate difference from the tube pulled is positive, not massive, just the incremental feeling that the sound is more of what you like. More solid in all departments.
Lord Soth waxes lyrical and I wouldn`t talk in those terms of audiophile heaven and slabs of honey. I can bliss out on the Decware SET mid range when a guitarist lets us into his tone secret weapon.
V/n tube Dan. They will turn up, and maybe a batch all at once.
Syd.

Edit :
I`ve just pulled my 2013 e-bay bought list down Dan.
I paid £135.00 for the pair. So £67.00 ea. Hey my memorys holding up.
Cant access the actual page so no pics.
So that looks to be around $200.00.  2013.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, C. SP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s Michell Orbe + SME V + M.Benz LP s, Arcam CD33, Nakamichi LX5, Lowther acoustas DX2`s, WE 16g sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains substation, M & K subwoofer, Belden 8402 interconnects.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/16/15 at 19:22:28

I never have been able to "get" the Upscale Phillips 5R4s. I find them exciting at first, but then a bit dullish, lacking inner dimension (at least after all that talk of being the best of the best). And I like the National 7DJ8s he waxes about, but they are not by any means my fav PCC88/7DJ8. But maybe I just have different tastes and system.

Rectifiers can be powerful tuning tubes, so if you love your sound now, it is important starting place. What are the qualities of the current Rec and where would you like to go. If you have Ruby/Shuguang rectifiers now, they are a pretty open and bright tube, and shifting to many others will be warmer, and usually more complex. The Chatham 5R4GWYs (potato mashers) are really good sounding tubes, powerful, balanced, open and slightly warm, warmer than RCA 5R4s, but if you are using KT66s they don't fit very well and it may crack the base. Or if you would like to go more open than the Rubys, yet still extended, the RCA 5R4GYs might be a good choice. But if a system is on the edge of too clear, this very nice tube can sound sterile...It all depends on everything else.

My old standard is 50s RCA 5U4G-ST, and if you can find some with top/side D getters, they will likely not be far off the tonal balance of the Rubys.... warmer, and more complex with greater inner detail. But some RCAs can be darker...fine if that is what you want, right. These show up for 60-80 at times. With KT66s, I have been loving GZ32s lately. The ones I like most (Mazdas I got from a seller in Georgia) are sort of between 5U4G-ST and GZ34s. I usually find GZ34s a bit much...open and dynamic with a push. But bringing in a touch of that quality can be really nice, the GZ32s being powerful and open with some mild warmth. They just do a great balancing act in my system anyway....revealing, dynamic and musical, somehow getting timbre really right, at least with Genalex KT66 and nice PC88s.

Everyone has different rooms and sounds. Or even in the same room, with one speaker you may want to darken and warm the sound with tubes...or the opposite. You can do a lot with tubes, and that is the beauty of the MKIV, there are five sets to tune with and they all matter! So picking up where Steve left off is a real thing...you can continue the voicing to your room and tastes.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
miller88

Reply #3 - 02/17/15 at 23:49:38

I have tried them all and really think the Chatham "potato masher" is the best.
Everybody likes their own thing though:)

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/18/15 at 00:17:05

I really liked those in the MKIII too, though I have more difficulty not loving others with different tubes sets. They are a hard fit in the MKIV. Great tubes though.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/18/15 at 03:14:34

Thanks for chiming in guys.  I get pretty distracted when remembering all the characteristics of each tube.  I should make up some sort of spread sheet....  Anyway.  Right now I'm using stock rectifiers from Decware.  I am also using KT 66's (the ones Steve supplies if you get that option when ordering the amp) so I think I might have a problem with larger rectifier tubes.  I do think my system is a bit on the bright side right now, but I frequently feel that way- it seems that I'm treble sensitive.  I did buy a cheap pair of early sixties RCA 5R4GYB's.  They have brown bases and side getters near the top on the side.  I don't know if I will have any positive results but at least I've started to see if the sound changes in any manner at all.  Thanks so much for offering your input fellas.  If anyone sees a deal worth sharing, please send the news my way, I'm still on the search for a great pair of rectifiers.  I guess I should tell you what I'd fancy sonically.  Or perhaps not prefer.  I'd prefer that the rectifier not heighten any of the treble.  If rectifiers can enhance the bottom end, that would  be cool.  Right now, I get fantastic detail.  If that can get better, that would be awesome.  I love warm, full, and rich sounding music with as much inner detail as capable.  

I hope I haven't been confusing and once again, I sure do appreciate everyone's input,

Thanks guys,

Dan  

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 02/18/15 at 04:44:27

I don't know that particular tube, but RCAs tend to be high quality and will likely help in inner detail throughout...likely showing more complexity and a tighter sense of bass that might sound right to you. I find "bright" is often a case of less detail complexity, so there is more focus in certain frequencies without good detail texture and associated "feathering." I hope they are really right there. Please let us know how those sound to you after they burn in a while.

IP Logged
miller88

Reply #7 - 02/18/15 at 21:30:06

Dan,
You should contact Frank Summers on this forum. I'm sure he has any rectifier you would like to try. I'm sure he would let you try before you buy and give you a much better deal on anything you found you liked. We both have hoards of NOS tubes and are glad to share.
Mele

Monoblocked SE34i
CSP2+
ZP3
HDT MKII
Grover IC's and wires
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/18/15 at 22:16:21

Dan, I just read your thread.  You didn't tell us what rectifier you're currently using...also what kind of speakers do you have?  I'm not sure what your budget is but the sonic characteristics you describe are what 5U4Gs offer.  I also have the 7308s (Amperex) in my Torii and they have played well with inexpensive 50's RCA 5U4Gs.  Another pair that I paid $30 for on ebay arrived yesterday. But what's in my Torii MK IV currently are a pair of 1943 Ken Rad 5U4Gs that I can't honestly say sound any better than' the RCAs.

Today I have been trying some 1946 RCA Double getter 5R4GYs in my Zen Signature Monoblocks that I like but they aren't as warm and the Bass not quite as deep as with the 50's RCA 5U4Gs, I took out but they are a nice change...pleasant in this system.  I paid $54 for the pair on ebay.  You can, and many do, pay a lot more but I'm not sure how improved the SQ results would be.  Have fun.  Try cheaper versions of a certain tube type before jumping in the deep end with the $200+ tubes...you may find you prefer a 5U4G to the 5R4GY...sure sounds that way by your description of what you're looking for SQ wise.  Mark.

PS...I just noticed your speakers in your signature and looked them up.  Those look like monsters...how sensitive are they?  Do you get good volume with the Torii?  If they tend to be Warm and Bass heavy, maybe the 5R4GYs might be good.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 02/19/15 at 20:34:43

OK Dan,  here's a pair of 50's single getter 5R4GYs for $25 plus S&H. The code he gives doesn't make sense, the last two numbers are supposed to be the week number...the number he gives is 554...there aren't 54 weeks in the year.  Ask for the codes.  I would ask for the testing specifics before buying, I always do...or I don't buy from the seller.  This pair should give you a good idea if you like this tube type without much monetary risk.  I'm liking the pair I bought in my Zen Signature Monoblocks but the jury is still out...I think I still like the 5U4Gs a little better.  I haven't tried the 5R4GYs in my Torii yet...not sure I will. Or if you would rather bid in an auction...here's one for a 1952 and 1954 single getter.  I have bought two pairs of tubes from this seller..Amperex 7308s and Amperex 6922s.  Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matching-Pair-RCA-JAN-CRC-5R4GY-Military-specTube-Test-g...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-5R4GY-2-Units-NOS-/131433444855?ssPageName=ADME:SS:S...

PS...I just looked at 50's RCA 5U4Gs....people have gotten a little nutty on what they're asking.  You should be able to get a high testing pair for no more that $45,  I just bought a pair last week for $30.  Below are a couple single tubes priced appropriately. Also if you find tubes you like but don't like the price, ask the seller if he would take X dollars. Negotiate if you're up to the hassle. I do sometimes, especially when buying multiple tubes from the same seller. Mark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5U4G-VACUUM-TUBE-BY-RCA-BLACK-PLATE-TESTED-STRONG-VERY-N...  This is a 1954 tube

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221695489296?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STR...  I can't see the date code on this one and he didn't give it.  If you ask for It...PM me and I can tell you the year of manufacture.  If it's a three number code the first being a 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 just add 50 for the year.  If it's a 4 number code the first two are the year of manufacture.  Don't confuse this with the manufacture code which will be 274 for the RCAs regardless what company brand is on the tube.

"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted." William Shakespeare
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #10 - 02/19/15 at 20:43:22

I'm with Wil on the NOS RCA 5U4G-st coke bottle rectifiers.  Once you've settled on the input and output tubes you like, rectifiers, in my experience, are a very, very fine tuning knob... subtle – detectable, but subtle.  The RCA’s provide a smidge more tonal density, refinement, naturalness, etc. in my experience.  I like them – YMMV.  To me, the RCA’s are good enough to install and not futz with anymore.  Greater tuning can be attained with the input and output tubes.  In fact, I’ve been able to more-or-less settle on a specific input tube also, and I just vary the output tubes based on which of my six pairs of speakers I’m using.  

I bought a boat load of the NOS RCA's 5U4G-st's off eBay without much trouble about a year ago.  And at what I considered reasonable prices. Be aware, like nearly every tube ever made, these are not always labeled "RCA".  I have tried every one I've ever bought to make sure they were operational, and they all sound the same to me.  So I just picked a pair, installed them, and haven't removed them for several months now.

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 02/20/15 at 04:23:01

Thanks everyone, your experiences are really appreciated.  So I ended up rolling the dice and getting a pair of RCA 5R4GYB's.  They are straight sided, but who knows, maybe I'll like them.  I also bought a couple Coke bottle shaped RCA 5U4G's.  Wish me luck there : )     To answer a couple questions, as far as I know my rectifiers are Shuguang.. looks like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281119090362?lpid=82&chn=ps

I'm using Tung-Sol KT66 reissues- I like them a lot.  I have a pair of Amperex 7308's that confuse me a bit because they have orange print, say made in the USA, but do not have gold pins- however I love them.  I have only tried the stock input tube provided with the amp and a pair of 6DJ8's.  I found the 7308's to be very special.  Super engaging and providing splendors in the details.  

Will- I am hoping you are right about the my system's possible lack of ability to sort through complex high frequency passages.  I have noticed that the better my system gets at "clearing" the treble, the less likely I accentuate it.  Either that or I'm going deaf... But lets hope not   : )

Mele- how can I get hold of Frank?  I couldn't find where or how to reach him.  Talk about my inability to use an interface....  : (

Mark58- Thanks for the links, someone had gotten to the pair of RCA 5R4GYB's before I did.  Also, a different pair tested was asked about but only tested 70 of 100 (I know nothing of tube testing, but I figured it was like a C instead of an A)  I did buy one of the RCA 5U4G's you listed and another that looked exactly the same from what I could tell.  

About the Hartleys.  They are a very satisfying speaker.  I would like them to be more efficient, but I don't know how efficient they are.  Not necessarily for volume, but for headroom.  They get loud enough for my usual listening, but the knobs are a little closer to maxed out than I'd like.  They are an interesting speaker to me.  They have a crossover that sends to the woofer, mid, and tweeter.  After that there is a super tweeter that has a cap on its positive side.  The mid, tweeter, and super tweeter are in a box that makes no attempt at being sealed, there are two holes in it for the incoming wire, and the wire down to the woofer.  The woofer, located below, is how you would think of a woofer in many(all?) consoles.  It is mounted to a baffle, has the walls of the speaker cabinet, but there is no rear wall, there is however a roll of sound absorbent material.  It is near the exact diameter as the woofer cone.  I'm sure these speakers are not for everyone, but I find few faults with them.  Detail loss from many crossover networks is a real thing, and I've experienced it with other speakers, but I can't put my finger on it with these speakers.  They seem to provide as much or more of the signal than many speakers I've listened to.  Perhaps I'm imagining what ever sonic feature they lack, but that's OK with me, they just sound Very good.  One last thing before I stop blabbing about them.  The Mid in them is a special driver.  It is called a 220MSG.  Originally it was used as a full range driver, then later a wide range driver with a super tweeter.  I happened across a pair in an antique store.  The 220MSG does not provide the dynamics of the Concertmaster speaker, but it is a pretty convincing driver.  

Again, thank you everyone.  I guess I'm still on the lookout for a pair of GZ32's to complete the rectifier trifecta.  I appreciate the help and experience you all offer.  I'll let you know if I have any sonic discoveries.

Hope to see everyone in October.

Dan

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/20/15 at 12:36:15

OK Dan,  I just looked both 5U4Gs I listed have been bought but both pairs of the 5R4GYs are still there.

For anyone who wants to see the Monster speakers Dan has, below is a pic and a pdf...I can't find an effeciency rating though.

In regards to your Amperex 7308's...If they have steel pins, they aren't made by Amperex. All amperex made 7308s, without exception, have gold pins. The orange print replaced white print sometime in the late 60's.  I have a 1966 pair with white print and one 1968 with the orange print.  All these will also have the ridges on top, at least two of the four should be visible.  I think Sylvania made steel pined 7308s, maybe others...hope your's aren't counterfeits.  All of my several 7308s were made in the USA...New York State.  Part of the Military Contract they had required that the tubes be made in the USA, so a plant was opened.

This Joes tube lore link was helpful to me but remember that he has different gear, speakers and preferences  than we do.  Some tubes he doesn't rate highly or doesn't list, might be just the ticket for others.  There is a section at the very end on counterfeits.  Hope this helps,  Mark.

PS...Dan,  this is another site that I found helpful.  I haven't bought from Brent Jessee but the info he provides is priceless. The link I provide has a discussion on the 6922/7308 family of tubes.  I've only been into tubes for about a year and a half so you're not far behind me.  There's a lot to learn.

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7881544@N05/475006075/
http://p10hifi.net/planet10/TLS/downloads/hartleybrochure.pdf

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/20/15 at 15:28:32

Real Amperex or not, if you love them as special and engaging over stock tubes and some 6DJ8s, they are good tubes for your system. I have seen Amperex with the plating off most of the pins...hmmm. And hopefully, those 5R4GYBs will be just right....If like RCA 5U4GBs over STs they will be different, than the ST 5R4s but they could be great considering your sound wishes...perhaps warmer and deeper??? I will be interested in your impressions. The Ruby's have never been a tube I like to use once I got nicer rectifiers, and they have all been a step up for micro detail here.

Though we can pull off mixing and matching, the chances of getting good pairs that match structurally and electronically from different sellers....the same seller and the same tester seems worth a little more to me. We have a lot in our systems and music, and tubes are literally the heart of the systems. With time, you can always find nice matched pairs at reasonable prices. It is really good to look really closely at everything about a tube though, even from favored sellers, just to make sure they are made the same.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/20/15 at 16:06:20

Dan, listen to Will, he knows of what he speaks.  Maybe the gold plating has worn off your Amperex 7308's.  He's also correct that even if it wasn't made by Amperex/Phillips, it still is probably better than newly manufactured tubes .  I have reproduced a section of Joe's tube lore below that will give you some pointers to determine if what you have is an Amperex.  If you have a good camera you could post or send me a pic...bet I could tell you.  What numbers are on the tubes?  If you bought from ebay, see if you can post the link to the old listing.  Mark.

Danger Will Robinson!
Be careful when you chase these guys. The reputation of Siemens & Amperexes precedes them and they are frequent targets for counterfeiters. How do you know if a tube in question is the genuine article? Well, fortunately there are a few basic checks you can perform to differentiate true Siemens & Amperexes from relabeled Sylvanias and Tungsrams.
First, check the top of the tube in question. Siemens & Amperexes always have small ridges in the surface of the glass on top of the tube radiating outward from the nipple. These tubes will have 4 ridges, though sometimes only two of them are easily visible. The concept here is to look down on the top of the tube. The 2 or 4 ridges should divide the circular silver top of the tube in half or into quarters. No ridges? No genuine article pass on it.

Second, check the metal shield above the upper mica spacer. On Siemens & Amperexes it’s circular with two raised rectangular sections on opposite edges of the shield. On most fakes that shield is a perfectly flat disc.

Third, about 90% of Siemens tubes have a 1 or 2 digit number molded into the inside bottom of the tube glass centered between the pins. It can sometimes be very hard to see but it’s usually there. Remember, not all Siemens have it, but if your tube passes test one & two and has the number(s), it's a Siemens.

Fourth, familiarize yourself with the shape of the glass bottle on your stock Sovteks. Note that the top is smooth (no ridges) and rather rounded and the tube is short & large in diameter these traits are common to all Russian tubes in this family. Siemens & Amperexes are only about 80 to 85% of the diameter of the Russian versions and tend to have squarer shoulders on top rather than the rounded top of the Sovtek. You should be able to spot the difference between a Russian and a genuine NOS tube just by the shape & diameter of the glass pretty easily. One warning though Sovteks often (always?) have a number molded into the bottom of the tube between the pins like a Siemens, so know all the checks and don’t depend on just one to verify the tubes origins.

Fifth, if it’s a Siemens or Amperex 6922 or 7308 it will always have gold pins. So will some cheap counterfeits, so gold is no guarantee. But if they aren’t gold its not a Siemens or Amperex, so pass on it.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/20/15 at 18:17:14

Quote:
I guess I'm still on the lookout for a pair of GZ32's to complete the rectifier trifecta.

No telling exactly with different systems/room, but one of these is like it is made for the MKIV, at least in my system.

I have tried a number of GZ32/5V4Gs, but certainly not all. Though all I tried are good tubes and interesting, the ones I Love are Mazda's. And interestingly, my Mazda straight bottles are quite good too, though I prefer the ST a little. They are a touch more solid, warm and refined without being in the face, though both are balanced, powerful, open/natural mids, extended and musical. The straight bottles are great though, and would be better in some settings, a little less warm with slightly more open detail.

For me the STE/Brimars are seductive, but a bit too big and powerful...forward. RCA-STs and GE fat/straight bottles, both are a bit thick down low and a little lean mids up for me.

All have a nice open midranges and could fit really well in the right settings, but here, the Mazdas do something nothing else I have tried can...they are just right. Solid bass, fast, open, revealing and musical...ways I might describe a lot of good rectifiers. With these it is the way it all works together that is different. The slightly pumped up power and speed is the thing.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #16 - 02/20/15 at 18:46:50

Hi Dan,

The market rate for Brimar/STC 5R4GYs ( D getters) is about US$100++ each.

The Philips 5R4GYS were only selling for $50 a piece when I did my rectifier shootout.
From my own experience ( and also from the numerous positive reviews at Upscale Audio), the Philips rectifier should sound good in 90% of any tube amp out there.
I tested this in my Decware CSP2+, CSP3, Torii MK4 and ( Non-Decware)Yarland Tube amp.

One needs to exercise a lot of patience with rectifiers, at least 100 to 150hrs of burn-in are required before they settle down and reveal their sonic character.

Some websites whereby they are still available are over here

http://tubes.tw/shop/product_info.php?products_id=350

http://tubes.tw/shop/product_info.php?products_id=349

http://valvetubes.com/5r4gy-cv717-stc-brimar-rectifier-valve-tubes-british.html

http://www.altofidelity.com/link4.asp

This sounds counter-intuitive but it is actually cheaper to get the best sounding rectifier at the onset.

The older "D" getters always sound better than the newer "O" getter tubes and this applies to the small preamp tubes too.

Hope you have fun with tube rolling, this is a really expensive hobby if you choose to go down that path.

PS : One thing we can all agree upon is to ditch the original Chinese rectifiers coz they will make your system sound too bright like a solid state amplifier.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/20/15 at 19:03:51

Dan,  if you really want the Brimars, the last link LS gave is a British seller and at 45 pounds each that's $69.30 USD...if you find out what shipping would be...share it here.  I've never tried the GZ32/ 5V4G but Lon has and likes them...not sure which brand or vintage. Mark.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #18 - 02/20/15 at 19:07:46

I'm using RCA bottle-shaped in my newest Torii Mk III, not sure what year but 'fifties. I've also used RCA straight-shouldered in my Select years ago.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/21/15 at 17:31:05

Wow guys,

So much great information here!!  Thanks. I've got quite a bear of a weekend to deal with, but maybe some of the rectifiers I've ordered will come in and I can take some pictures to show.  I did look at the 7308's and they have the 4 ridges on the top.  The bottom number imprints are very hard to read on one.  Perhaps it is not a number imprint.  However, the other 7308 definitely has an 8 printed on the bottom.  As the rectifiers come in, I'll do a show and tell.  As listening becomes possible, I'll let everyone know impressions.  Thanks everyone, thanks so much.

Dan

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/21/15 at 17:50:06

Dan,  I don't think the ridges can be replicated easily so if they're there it's an Amperex.  I sometimes try to decipher the etched codes if the painted date codes have worn off.  It's not easy and I usually have to do some google searches to find an answer.  An asterisk in the etched codes tells you it was made in the NY USA plant. On the one 1968 orange globe Amperex 7308 I have I can't even see any etched symbols but it has all the other characteristics of the real deal.  Mark.

PS...another easy test to know if you have an Amperex is check the metal shield above the upper mica spacer. On Amperex tubes it’s circular with two raised rectangular sections on opposite edges of the shield. On most fakes that shield is a perfectly flat disc.  You can easily see these on the Dumont labeled Amperex 7308 on the left in the photo below...should be easily seen on your tubes.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/21/15 at 19:21:38

Quote:
Dan,  I don't think the ridges can be replicated easily so if they're there it's an Amperex.
I don't know...Lots of older inputs have the ridges and notched/stepped riser plate, and from many companies and countries...Right?

I have been thinking further about the track of my system, tube exploration and preferences, especially with the MKIV. I hope this might be useful to some folks.

I understand consensus about the more revered NOS tubes. I seem to need rarer inputs to get the most from the CSP3, though with a dirt cheap (but great sounding) GE labelled 5R4GY with double bottom D getters.

But the MKIV circuit....I find with the levels of revealing complexity it is capable of, the amp itself can make some decent tubes quite beautiful, and some of the "best" tubes can be a bit overstated for me.

I think how well the MKIV can bring out tubes, and its amazing flexibility for tonal variations are remarkable design accomplishments. To get its best, we need very good room, source, tubes, cables, speakers etc, but then the amp's complex, revealing, and refined signature is capable of amazing variations of tonal synergy from a wide variety of tubes.

I inadvertently took this trait further with regular system tuning. This process revealed that my DAC was better than I thought, drawing even more musical complexity from it. And the Oppo was sort of even, fine for DVDs, but the comparison indicated it was not up to the MKIVs potential.

My MKIV needed over 600 hours to start showing its potential fully, and like source, all the system/room parts need to rise up to the amp to hear it fully (not hobbling it). This process taught me some about cables and power too! But finally, the amp circuit is so good, once the system is tuned to use it, ....not all, but many quality tubes can become extra good in my experience.

And this suits my preference well. I really enjoy changing things up now and then, helping to re-awaken my perceptions while pulling the beauty of the music in fresh ways. So for my love of exploring variations of beauty, the MKIVs capabilities and a nice variety of tubes are ideal.

I also understand more single-minded refinement.

I just like having a number of very good sounding rectifiers with different traits for fine-tuning. And with patience, most of mine were quite cheap, some ridiculously so. I could probably narrow this down to three rectifiers now if I had to, but then I also enjoy amazing bargains, taking exploration deeper. But I am in no hurry. I have plenty of nice tubes.

In this context, I found my Mazda GZ32 coke bottles on one of these exploratory tracks, and they are likely my current favs. BTW, they have horizontal (they look level), large, bottom D getters on both sides. Best I can tell from this not so good pic they look like the Mullards from a seller LS linked above. http://valvetubes.com/gz32-mullard-british.html

But my pair was about $78 delivered from Georgia! Not the one in the southern US.

AND LASTLY. My matched pair of Upscale Phillips 5R4GYSs have the original boxes (not perfect having a few dents and tears as I received them, but very clean otherwise). The tubes are in excellent shape, burned in, but not much more than that. I think less than 300 hours. I would take 130, my paying shipping to US addresses. PM if interested.

TUBES SOLD

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print