Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 06:35:38 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question of SE84UFO25 with Volume Control (Read 5293 times)
sz66panzer
Verified Member

Question of SE84UFO25 with Volume Control
06/14/21 at 13:25:18

Hi! I'm new here and havn't got a Decware engine yet.
I read that SE84UFO25 could choose to have Volume Control or not. My question is that if choose to have Volume Control ,could this SE84UFO25 be paired with a Preamp ,such as paired with Decware's own Preamp?
Thanks in advance!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Question of SE84UFO25 with Volume Control
Reply #1 - 06/14/21 at 13:33:00

Yes, definitely--having its own volume control would not in any way mean a preamp could not be used as well.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/14/21 at 14:50:25

I chose to go with the "Smooth Action Volume Controls" on mine.  I have the "20 Position Stepped Volume Control" on my CSP3.  I have found this combination to be very versatile.

I have found that infinite adjustability of the SA controls gives me just that bit of volume adjustability that from time to time is nice to have.  When I sent my CSP3 in for the Anniversary mods the UFO25 became an integrated and I still had music.  In case your wondering... although it was very good (understatement) as an integrated, I would not give up my CSP3-A!

The system is SO good that I don't even give the choices I have made a second thought.

IP Logged
sz66panzer
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/15/21 at 03:25:26

Thank you @Lon,@JOMAN
I now understand. My own taste prefer more to "20 Position Stepped Volume Control" Smiley

IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/20/21 at 13:58:07

Mine is without the volume control(s) as I drive the unit with a preamp.  Steve must have set the output of my amp at 75-90% (I am not sure) of its full volume, and I am very happy with the simplicity...

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/25/21 at 23:10:27

i have the stepped volume control but have never used it really.  I have it pegged wide open and adjust volume via zbit or dac acting as a pre.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/26/21 at 00:55:49

Pal, I question the logic of putting the amp at 100%.  I do the opposite.  I push as many volts into the amp as I can and use no more that 1/4 of the amp's volume control.  I do this for weight/density.  I presume you've tried this?  You may not be able to push as much voltage since I see you aren't using a CSP3 like I am.  Maybe this makes a difference?

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/26/21 at 01:06:15

It’s been well over a year since I experimented so maybe I should try again but I thought my current setup worked best back then.  I also thought that was how Steve was running his.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana Studio, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio/DIY Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, Lii Audio P10 based OB speakers
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #8 - 08/26/21 at 01:16:11

I also pump max voltage into the SE84UFO25 via ZSTAGE25th and have my stepped attenuators set in the lower range.

"riding the gain"

The ZSTAGE manual has a detailed explanation in it.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/26/21 at 01:38:04

Well I thought I’d just head down to my room and give it a whirl.  Then I remembered that I am tri-amping and I’ll need to tweak all three amps. So I just sat down and started listening to music.  I’m curious though and will give it a shot some time when I have the patience.

I listened to all rips today versus streaming and I forgot how much better the rips are.  I also realized how much better my system sounds than it did back when last I listened to rips.

IP Logged
__Jon__
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 12/20/21 at 21:21:05

I wonder if Steve would consider a different stepped volume control, with 40 or 50 steps, as a custom option? I have the stepped on my ZMA and like it, but the volume changes are substantial between stops.  If I didn’t have finer control on my DAC, I might feel differently.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print