Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/17/24 at 13:14:10 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
Swiss Digital FUSE BOX (Read 98123 times)
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Re: Swiss Digital FUSE BOX
Reply #650 - 07/03/24 at 08:30:01

I was not expecting this so soon, but within the last two hours or so, the initial Graphene bass bloat has tightened up considerably. Detail and soundstage are working together now, not fighting the low end. Things are sounding pretty great!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/Reed 3P arm & Benz Micro Ebony cart; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm & ZYX Ultimate Exceed Airy cart or Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Lightspeed Attenuator; Space Tech Labs STR 1004 & 104; Sorcer X4+; SDFBs; Graphene Sluggos in all
  IP Logged
verafi
Seasoned Member

Reply #651 - 07/03/24 at 14:07:54

@bloodlemons

Good Morning

My own experience with Graphene is this - 40 hours gets you 75% of the way home - 150 hours and you reach 90 percent - 300 hours you get the full deal

WHY

This is the ONLY Sluggo that using a Vacuum Depositing methodology to produce the end result. There is an actual CURING PROCESS involved here.

Graphene may not be for everyone - I get that...

I like the net results with Graphene (for my system)...

I am in contact with several of you re Graphene and I am enjoying the back and forth. I will hafve less time aftert today for about a week as wer prepare to ship Mainstream and SnubWay back orders. As new(er) products emerge there is always an information need

ENJOY ALL

Happy 4th

Best wishes

Mark

PS - cool new ad on Tracking Angle found here (Main Stream)

https://trackingangle.com/

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #652 - 07/03/24 at 15:45:16

Thanks for the info and thoughts, Mark. Have a great 4th of July!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/Reed 3P arm & Benz Micro Ebony cart; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm & ZYX Ultimate Exceed Airy cart or Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Lightspeed Attenuator; Space Tech Labs STR 1004 & 104; Sorcer X4+; SDFBs; Graphene Sluggos in all
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Reply #653 - 07/08/24 at 01:28:20

Hey Will, you’re right—the amp’s fuse holder is certainly more accessible compared to the source gear.  Since I hold your and Lon’s ear in the absolute highest regard, I will certainly end up playing around with it in the near future.  

In the meantime, some other tweaks and changes are taking up my time and attention.

And I am also planning on getting my 4th SDFB  ;D

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #654 - 07/08/24 at 01:38:03

Kam: a fourth SDFB

To be honest, I could easily imagine that being a further improvement. Just can't see affording another proper power cord and SDFB in the near future.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Reply #655 - 07/08/24 at 03:25:30

LOL Lon!

Thank God I had already downed my sip of soda before I saw your post, otherwise, I’d have spit it out!

Yes, I’ve meaning to add it to my Phoenix Net for quite some time, and have been biding my time. I also wanted to try out Mark’s super piggy as well, which I plan to get with this order.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #656 - 07/08/24 at 16:20:23

FWIW, I'm running most of my gear without individual SDFBs into SDFB-protected Sorcers... Since the the fuse box itself doesn't add or detract from the overall sound, it seems like a reasonable compromise to me. I can definitely verify that the fuse boxes work -- it's a very careful game of power cord Jenga to figure out how many is too many into any one Sorcer...

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #657 - 07/08/24 at 16:22:41

I should add that whatever misgivings I initially had about the Graphene Sluggos are now completely dispelled. I just realized a moment ago that I haven't thought about the change in Sluggos in days. Everything sounds great now!

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #658 - 07/08/24 at 16:51:20

“Great” is not a particularly helpful description. The question is specifically what does it sound like absolutely or relative to the other sluggos, in terms of tonality and other characteristics.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #659 - 07/08/24 at 17:03:01

My take: when fully seasoned the Graphene is set apart by "resolution" I suppose is the best way to describe it. I hear just a bit more of the piano soundboard in solo piano recordings, a bit more of the cymbal resonance in well-recorded drum solos, a bit more room presence. It's easy to get used to and noticed when absent with other Sluggos.

I'd say that the Graphene is not at all warm. Accurate, not bright or etched.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #660 - 07/08/24 at 17:46:39

Good point, highstream. I am pretty busy with work today but I will try to supply some more detailed impressions when I have a minute for myself (and you)...

IP Logged
verafi
Seasoned Member

Reply #661 - 07/08/24 at 23:09:55

Not wishing to offend - but this was a fine read today

Thanks

Mark

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/graphene-sluggo-unlocking-sonic-scenery#2...

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #662 - 07/09/24 at 00:55:37

That is a truly excellent write-up! Congrats, Mark!

Also, "Fuse Box Max?" What is this? I can't keep up!

IP Logged
verafi
Seasoned Member

Reply #663 - 07/09/24 at 01:16:45

@bloodlemons

Current SDFB can only service up to 12 amps

MAX can do 32 amps. Chassis about 50% bigger with all major parts (MicroP, Hall Effect Sensor and Relay) up to the task

I will post some pictures soon

Thanks - Mark

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Reply #664 - 07/09/24 at 01:45:51

Geez, Gladmo continues to receive so much doubt on Audiogon. He should join here instead. Great write up!

IP Logged
verafi
Seasoned Member

Reply #665 - 07/09/24 at 02:29:03

@Kamran

I can share with you that @gladmo is one of the m ost astute listeners I have EVER known - this goes back to my Infinity Days, Genesis, Alchemy etc etc.

He's also a very nice fellow Smiley

I hope he is invited to join

Thanks

Mark

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #666 - 07/09/24 at 04:11:14

About an hour ago I placed an order through the Verafi site for a few more Graphene Sluggos (which might tell you something about how they are settling in with my system), and about three minutes later I got a call from the man himself! Yep, Mark proves time and time again that he possesses one of the most congenial personalities in the audio world. There was really no reason to call me about my order, but he did anyway, just to say thank you. Kinda made my night!

He also filled me in on a few new developments on the horizon. I am SWORN TO SECRECY, but I will say Mark was talking about bold new products, more-or-less unlike what we're used to seeing from Verafi of late. I really don't know how he does it, but the beat goes on...

IP Logged
verafi
Seasoned Member

Reply #667 - 07/09/24 at 14:05:14

Good Morning...

@bloodlemons - many thanks. Always enjoy our spirited conversations.

Best wishes

Mark

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #668 - 07/09/24 at 18:42:52

Quote:
the initial Graphene bass bloat has tightened up considerably.

Huh, when I had the graphene in bloat was the last thing on my mind when listening to it. It was super clean tight and precise. Mark, Did the processing change? or is it only of those anomalies?

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
verafi
Seasoned Member

Reply #669 - 07/09/24 at 20:06:03

@GroovySauce

Yes indeed - after the feedback you and others shared... I did complain and changed two parameters dealing with the Graphene Sluggo

Coatintg Thickness and Vacuum Deposting mentodology (time and more)

Many thanks as always

Mark

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #670 - 07/09/24 at 20:14:50

In all my years of reading this forum and another audio forum I've come to the conclusion that each component, tube, fuse, etc. can sound different from person to person and room to room etc.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #671 - 07/09/24 at 20:16:48

Oh, absolutely. Also, my room is untreated. I have a pretty busy decorating style, so there aren’t really a lot of reflective surfaces to worry about, But I have been putting off, trying out some first reflection panels for quite a while.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #672 - 07/10/24 at 16:02:12

@Verafi Mark-
Hi Mark, Can you clarify what fuses you can replace with Sluggos and have your component protected.  My understanding is the SDFB  is only intended to protect the power input fuse not the internal fuses of the component.   Wouldn’t replacing internal fuses  with Sluggos leave the internal component exposed to damage in a failure or am I off base here?  Thanks

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
verafi
Seasoned Member

Reply #673 - 07/10/24 at 16:04:42

@Hereafter

While many people advocate using Sluggos in "other areas" we ONLY advocate using SDFB and Sluggo on the Mains

Our instruction state this as well...

Many thanks

Mark

IP Logged
verafi
Seasoned Member

Reply #674 - 07/10/24 at 16:12:43

Good Morning All...

After some healthy back and forth this will be my last post on these forums

I'm a guest here - and we are absorbing way too much bandwidth and time in a place that's not our own.

I respect and fully endorse this.

There are two ways to contact me easily

my e-mail is verafiaudio@gmail.com

my google voice for calls or text messages is 818.584.6870

Thanks to Steve for extending the courtesy he has.

All is well... here via the above if you need me

Best wishes - Mark

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #675 - 07/10/24 at 18:01:57

Thanks Mark. For those who have any interest in offerings and updates on Vera-Fi products, I suggest following Mark Shifter on Facebook. All the latest news on products, etc.

Peace out on the Decware Forum Mark.

Best wishes,

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart & Modwright PH 9.0XT phono preamp OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > SRA & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #676 - 07/18/24 at 11:03:22

Well Kam, have you ordered a fourth SDFB yet? Cheesy

I just replaced a headphone amplifier in my headphone only system with a Schitt Juttenheim 2 and freed up another (.5 m) matching power cord to those in my main system. . . . I'm not ready to afford another SDFB. yet, but if I sell my Bottlehead preamp now gathering dust I might for my ZROCK2. . . . I think that might bring another level of cool to the system with another Graphene Sluggo. . .

It never ends, the journey of curiosity.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Reply #677 - 07/18/24 at 11:17:26

Yes, ordered and delivered — but I’m on vacay this week so I won’t have access to it until Sunday.

Agreed, the curiosity never ends.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #678 - 07/18/24 at 11:23:06

Those irresistible rabbit holes!

IP Logged
hifimark
Verified Member

Reply #679 - 07/30/24 at 23:37:32

Hi all,

Just joined up and wanted to chat about a method that @will might appreciate.  It's Taguchi arrays that allow you to test multiple variables quickly without doing all posssible combinations.  As Im new I cant post a link to the video but its a nighthawkinlight video on youtube called "Test Multiple Variables at Once to Optimize Anything"  It would allow you to quickly find the which sluggo in which equipment in which direction works best.  Have a look!  [smiley=icqlite20.png]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #680 - 07/30/24 at 23:56:05

Welcome!

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #681 - 07/30/24 at 23:57:35

Hmmm... This method is very interesting...

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #682 - 07/31/24 at 00:05:51

Were it only so...I don't know about Will's set up, but as a practical matter changing fuses or sluggos in many pieces of gear is not quick and sometimes not easy. Plus, my understanding of the Takuchi method is that it assumes consistency, e.g., copper will have the same sonic effect no matter which piece it's put in. In my experience, that's not the case with sluggos.

IP Logged
hifimark
Verified Member

Reply #683 - 07/31/24 at 00:42:11

"Plus, my understanding of the Takuchi method is that it assumes consistency.."

Not quite.  You can assume that one copper sluggo is the same as the next. Unless you have evidence to the contary thats a reasonable assumption.   As variables, you would have a set for the different sluggos, a set of the different pieces of equipment and a set for the direction of the sluggos.  Look up the tables for 3 sets and how ever many permutations in each set and voila it tells you how to test the variables

IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #684 - 07/31/24 at 00:57:20

I wrote from experience. Starting with the first SDFB and bronze sluggo in a Lampi dac and a QSA red-black in a VAC preamp, within several days there was a bit of warmth that I could (and did) listen for hours w/o being aware of the time. Upon adding the SDFB with bronze to the preamp, that warmth was gone and hasn’t returned, If tonality is unimportant to the listener, it may not matter; otherwise, it seems to be piece to piece.

IP Logged
hifimark
Verified Member

Reply #685 - 07/31/24 at 01:21:53

Ah OK, I see what you mean.  That sounds like a burn in issue to me.  So its true that all equipment being tested would need to be burned in.  

If its not (a burn in thing), then the array method would take it (and properly so) into account, and find the optimum, thats its utility!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #686 - 07/31/24 at 02:13:11

Interesting video. But when it comes to refined and resolving audio, I agree with Highstream. Unless we are using exactly the same metal, draw/anneal methods, and gauge, then it seems we would first have to apply the Taguchi method to the different, say "copper" slugs.  I have repeatedly heard differences is different coppers, and silvers, and plated things, like Rhodium, Gold, or different silver plate on copper. And given the same broad name like "copper," whether slugs, or wires... different dielectric, metal purity, draw, annealing, stranded or not... all effect the sound for "better" or "worse."

With copper slugs... Marks, ±5mm High Purity Copper, and those I polished using somewhat soft annealed copper ground wire that is ±5.2mm... These have some general "copper" similarities, but are to me notably different... way enough to make choices for sound quality. My guess from experience is that the sound differences are the copper itself, in purity and how it is drawn and annealed, as well as smaller or bigger gauge sounding different. And all these no doubt effect the directional differences I hear pretty clearly.

And it does not matter what it is... being broadly the same material, constructions, and having the same "measurements." Like "metal" resistors, try three well liked resistors from different makers that measure the same, I hear differences enough to choose. Or caps that measure the same but use different damping, films, wires, etc ...huge differences.... or OFC copper wire versus the same gauge of UPOCC... Or tubes!!!

My experience implies that measurements can definitely be useful, but electron activity, as defined by all the complexes of things that make our systems, and how these hundreds of variables effect one another, and what we experience from making recordings into music.... it is logarithmically more complex than our usual "batch" titling and measuring systems.

This is why I finally use my very complex measuring device, my body and mind, to "measure" things.

This leaves me a little baffled about how to apply this Taguchi array to our very complex systems, especially when just trying things shows so many tendencies of given metals, or tube makers and vintages, or wire makers or connector makers, or cap makers..... I prefer. Still within these knowns, the variability is way too big for me to consider things as constants unless individual choices ... So, for me experimenting and listening is the only way to really start to "know" what I prefer toward an ultimate sound I seek...

For years I thought mil spec silver on copper was a little off sounding, even with a nice blend of the two metals done just so and making a really nice speaker cable for many... like Decware Styx. Yet still they had a silver on copper "sound," the silver clarifying and awakening the copper, and speeding up the very large gauge.... but still they could sound a little hard along with warm and full... thinking I was hearing the metals as separate to some degree. Then I started making speaker cables with a conglomerate gauge that sounded "right" to me (a lot less gauge than Styx), and using mixed metal, but with individual pure copper and pure silver strands in oversized teflon, along with WE 16 gauge tinned copper... so quite a blend, and with the right gauges of each, I can only hear beautiful music with all its qualities in relative balance.

Around the same time, needing some more resolving and fast power cords, I started to make up the conglomerate gauge for the cable with multiple gauges of mil spec silver on copper wires with teflon dielectric, and got some of the most resolving and musical sounding power cables I have heard. Whereas, I had a cable that was made of what I believe to be the same silver on copper mil spec, large gauge wires as Styx, braided, and liked it at that time, but found it too bold and full. This was when I started to notice how much gauge mattered to balance. I was able to make this cable more resolved and nuanced with filtering and really good ends, but my overall lower gauge experimental cables made of several wires to make up the total gauge are to me way better sounding in terms of giving all there is in the music with speed and relative neutrality. And just this, presents loads of variables beyond my aversion to cables that are too big a gauge to allow balanced and subtle information for my needs.

So I don't doubt I may be missing something, but for the levels of complexity and balances I am seeking and hearing, with the smallest parts effecting the whole, I am not sure how to apply the Taguchi arrays to my experiments except as an academic exercise.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
hifimark
Verified Member

Reply #687 - 07/31/24 at 02:26:53

To clarify how this works, and how it would applicable to hifi, I shall draw some comparisons to the video and the firework example.  In the vid, he had 4 ingredients, KNO3, S, lampblack and charcoal.  Each one of those parameters had a low normal and high amount.  So he had a 4x3 array (see this point in the vid https://youtu.be/5oULEuOoRd0?feature=shared&t=1043)

In a hifi setting the ingredients would change to say for example, DAC, source, preamp, amp, power conditioner.  Next the internal variable would change from low, normal, high to sluggo type ie copper, gold plated copper, graphene, rhodium.  So in that example you would need a 5x4 grid (in jargon there are 5 factors with 4 levels).  Simply google the grid and off you go.  Hope that clarifies!  :)

IP Logged
hifimark
Verified Member

Reply #688 - 07/31/24 at 02:37:45

So in my example, if you tested every single possible combination you would have to do 120 tests.  No one is going to do that.  However using the Taguchi array, you narrow it down to 16, quite an improvement!

Heres a doc with the common arrays calculated for you https://www.me.psu.edu/cimbala/me345/Lectures/Taguchi_orthogonal_arrays.pdf

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #689 - 07/31/24 at 03:02:12

My experience in not the same, but similar to Highstream's. I have definite preferences with different slugs in different pieces of gear.... Which ties back to my recent post... each part and wire changes how each piece of gear sounds and performs....making each piece very complex, before even considering variables in what the piece is intended to do, which is also highly variable. Like what a good DAC does, is way different than what a regenerator does. Or what one pre does sonically is quite different from another in most cases. So the quality of the power these are fed, being altered differently by different slugs, one slug could be really good for one, and not another.

I think I get how you could make an array based on our subjective sonic analysis of each piece of gear, as well as sonic analysis of different slugs. But I guess trial and error would be more telling and efficient for me.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
highstream
Verified Member

Reply #690 - 07/31/24 at 03:09:23

My understanding of the Takuchi array is that it’s a continuous process, hence the idea that sluggos are quick tovmove around. If the process of listening is more extended, hours or perhaps a day or two or longer, then it doesn’t seem to apply, even in the best of circumstances.

IP Logged
hifimark
Verified Member

Reply #691 - 07/31/24 at 03:29:12

Kind of, yes.  The first result you get is an improved result, but not necessarily the global maximum in the landscape of possibilities.  Further tests can refine things.  But you search more of the landscape more efficiently using this process

IP Logged
hifimark
Verified Member

Reply #692 - 07/31/24 at 03:41:30

@will.  Yes, there are lots of variables and combinations in equipment setup.  We are agreed.  This system is a scientific way to efficiently search the landscape of possibilities.  You can score it for whatever you are trying to achieve.  I have given the example of finding which sluggo is best where.  

What does "best" mean you may ask?  Well, whatever you like, you are assigning the score!  So it might be quantity of bass, quality of bass, airiness, stereo imagery, life, detail, anything you want or as many of these as you want.  In the firework video, he uses the size of the first stage sparks, the size of the second stage sparks and the quality of the final stage, and sums them together to give an overall score.  You can see I hope how the same approach can be used to give whatever is the best sound for you.

"But I guess trial and error would be more telling and efficient for me."  Um, actually it wouldn't unless you got lucky.  Thats the whole point of the method, to be efficient.  Heres the video link if you would like to see it again https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oULEuOoRd0

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #693 - 07/31/24 at 17:13:13

Yes, I agree this is a cool idea. And "trial and error" was not a clear way to put what was in my mind, that being the end phase. Before that, for me, the only way to best guess how a certain slug will work in a certain component, is to know both the slug and component qualities well. Having to go through slug burnin, that is a lot of listening time to identify the slug's basic sonic qualities and balances. And even if I were listening to give it a value grade for all, or some aspects of the sound, once more-or-less burned in, I then know all of that slug's fundamental resolution and balance tendencies as revealed by my system. Same for all the other slug choices...Each slug having notably different sound qualities and balances, to be able to make the best decisions for me, the burnin process is needed for each, revealing and teaching me the sonic qualities of each.

At that point, knowing my overall room sound, and each component, and each slug, as far as I can tell, the information needed to set up a Taguchi Array, and what it might reveal, is already done without the array. Then, optimizing with certain slugs based on the system balances first, and equally, within individual components, a given slug helping, and others not, is pretty easy to predict for me.

Reminding me of another important variable I have talked about earlier.... the overall original balances with fuses as the starting point. Already having carefully optimized balances in this room, I had to tune my system to be more open, less balanced toward bass, and faster. This compensated for how the slugs increase weight, density, fullness... and with these, not exclusively, but especially with my tube gear, leaning more toward bass in the balances... just by replacing fuses with SDFBs and slugs. Since I gradually got that sorted out, I can now use a number of slugs without overwhelming the sonic traits they bring to the system, and have not experienced unpredictable results like Highstream... where, adding a given slug in one component to warm and increase engagement for the whole system worked, and adding another of the same in another component canceled that.

Really hard to guess with so many variables, but I wonder if this was in part what I first experienced, that a slug added to a system already having been optimized with the beneficial qualities the slugs can add, more slugs were too concentrating, too dense and full here. Also, here, direction can be a pretty big deal, one way more open, resolving and balanced, and the other less resolved, more concentrated, dull and homogeneous. Makes me wonder a bit if part of this might have been the direction or the slug in the Lampi being "right" for the desired sound, and wrong in the Pre???

Anyway, my results seem pretty predictable now, each slug having characteristic values that convey into adjusting a component sound. But also, my components, cables, power, and all, are intentionally sort of consistent in sound qualities and balances, chosen and tuned to have pretty similar and complimentary sonic signatures, and avoiding more notable compensations that can confuse the whole for me. So though each piece of gear uses the same slug sound qualities based on its individual makeup, a certain set of sonic influences from a given slug can be expected, no matter the piece of gear, making the various slugs nice tuning devices.

This is not luck, it is applied perception, discernment, and knowledge. And knowing the components and the slugs individually makes it pretty easy to put them together optimally here. But in system tuning, all else pretty optimal, I can stumble on some special qualities with a given slug in a given component (or tube, cable... whatever), or alternately, find that another slug with variations of similar sound balances might be more musically complete in that application.

All the slugs having different balances and revelation signatures, seems those who have explored more fully find many can work well in a lot of systems in general. But this can be refined, leading to more specific choices overall for a given system/room, and then within that, finding the better choices for a given component as part of the whole. And finally, for me, especially as a "fine"-tuning device, trial in a given component (including verifying the direction of the slug) is the only way to get the most refined and complete results.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #694 - 08/01/24 at 21:08:36

Well, I got my full set of Graphene Sluggos in the mail today, as well as two shiny, new Decware DHC3 power cords, so I have a lot of burnin' in to do!

I also talked to Mark on the phone for quite a while yesterday. I can assure you that I do not tend to have personal conversations with other audio gear builders, but he is just such a pleasure to chat with. You never know when or how you're going to make a good friend in this world! Also, he gave me a few teasers on new projects in the hopper that will be out on the market before we know it. Really cool stuff. Always something new to look forward to with that guy...

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #695 - 08/01/24 at 21:44:15

👍 Snub Station Zero sounds interesting…just posted a nice update on their Facebook site today.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #696 - 08/01/24 at 22:50:25

I don't do FB, but maybe I should poke around there once in a while for stuff like this.

So I swapped in the Graphene Sluggos; now they're in every component with a fuse. I also swapped out DHC2 power cords for DHC3 on my ZP3 and CSP3. All I can say is that everything is sounding HUGE right out of the gate. There is a ton of new low end, which I experienced as a negative thing when I initially put Graphene in the Sorcers, but this time it doesn't sound bloated. Maybe a little dark, but mostly just very full and tangible. Spatial imaging is in full-effect. I can't wait to see how things progress as everything seasons in.

For posterity, I add the following:

SorcerX4 (two) - Graphene Sluggos with SDFB and Super Piggies into Furutech wall outlet

ZMA - Graphene Sluggo with SDFB and DHC3 into Sorcer

CSP3 - Graphene Sluggo with DHC3 into Add-Powr Bar into Sorcer

ZP3 - Graphene Sluggo with DHC3 into Sorcer

STL STR-104-Mk II-Super - Graphene Sluggo with Super Piggy  into Add-Powr Bar into Sorcer

STL STR-1004 Mk II-Super (on its way back to me soon) - Graphene Sluggo with Super Piggy into either Sorcer or Powr Bar (depends on if I end up tripping anything with either combo; it's a delicate balance...)

As you can see above, both Sorcers are protected by SDFBs, so the only individual component beyond those I have a SDFB on is the ZMA. I wasn't sure how all of that was going to work out, so I have an extra SDFB in one of my gear drawers right now. Maybe I'll need it for the STR-1004. Not sure at the moment.

I'll report back in a week or so when things have settled in, if not before.

Happy listening!

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #697 - 08/02/24 at 00:08:21

Bloodlemons-  Very nice!  Did you review your set up of using Sluggos only in your Sorcerers with Mark?  In theory you should be protected from external surges such as lightning strikes or utility line surges.  You could be at risk for a power cable failure/short or a rectifier failure.  Internal fuses should blow in most cases or your Sorcerer shut down. Overall, I think the risk is low.  I have never had a power plug fuse blow.  I do something similar where my entire system is protected for surges by my power conditioner.  I use unprotected Sluggos in all my components except any that have rectifiers.  Those have either a SDFB or audiophile fuse and  I never replace internal fuses with sluggos.  As an additional precaution I do not leave my system on unless I am present just in case. I realize this may not be a risk everyone is comfortable with.  🤞🤞

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #698 - 08/02/24 at 00:43:56

Seems a bunch of you use some type of power conditioner or regenerator. I've not gone down that road, maybe someday. I'll bet most of you had one before Snubway. Curious now that you guys are using Snubways and Mainstreams if your choice of conditioner or regenerator would be the same or if you would go a different direction.

On a different note, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere but I may have missed it. What about using something like graphene enhancer on any of the non graphene sluggos? Again, a curiosity.

Technics 1210G, Phasemation PP-500, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, UFO25, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #699 - 08/02/24 at 01:13:31

Sean, Correct for me I started with my conditioner from the beginning prior to Snubway, Puron and Mainstream.  I use a power conditioner for surge protection, isolating components from each other and adding more protected outlet receptacles.  I like mine as it doesn’t color or restrict the SQ.  As a bonus I thought it actually cleaned up and improved the SQ a bit.
I tried a while back using High Fidelity Cables Q45 graphene sound enhancer on Sluggos and couldn’t distinguish a difference.  🤔Time to try it again!

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15