Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/06/24 at 09:58:42 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
Classical Music Thread (Read 51269 times)
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Re: Classical Music Thread
Reply #550 - 07/03/24 at 18:47:44

Everyone loves Chopin and he wrote so much instantly likable music it is hard to pick a favorite. But for me it is probably one of his less well know works, the Cello Sonata.

On CD.

Janos Starker and the Mercury crew do a great job, of course.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #551 - 07/04/24 at 02:30:13

Bach wrote the 2nd book of the Well Tempered Clavier some 20 years after the first. And, if it seems just a little less amazing than book one, that is kinda like saying Sandy Koufax's first no-hitter was a little less dominating than the other three. But, I think it is a little less extroverted, a little less (obviously) dramatic, and while I hesitate to say it is more "thoughtful" than one of the cornerstones of western art music, it's charms are more subtle.

On CD.

The always thoughtful Andras Schiff plays it, and everything else in this box, beautifully.

IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #552 - 07/04/24 at 05:34:38

Great description! Tomorrow I will have time for a listen, but tonight you get an "A" for descriptive writing ✍️ Loved the Koufax line.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #553 - 07/04/24 at 15:29:15

Quote:
Posted by: Tony      Posted on: Yesterday at 21:34:38

...Loved the Koufax line.

It wouldn't be July 4th without Stars and Stripes Forever.

On CD.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #554 - Yesterday at 02:55:44

One more bit of Americana for the 4th.

On CD.

Those of us who were around for early digital will no doubt remember the hoopla about the "Telarc Bass Drum" and Fanfare for the Common Man one of the recordings that made it a thing. Honestly, I'm not that impressed, and if necessary could prove mathematically that even 15" woofers just aren't going to hit you as hard as the 3 foot drum head beaten with mallet. But I digress. Mostly I'm interested Appalachian Spring and Rodeo, which are concert arrangements of ballets, and just about the most fun you can have in a concert hall.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #555 - Yesterday at 16:18:13

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. The legend (which I guess is mostly true) is Sergei Rachmaninoff rather (in)famously suffered a breakdown after the disastrous premier of his first symphony and stopped composing for over a year. It was hypnotherapy that turned him around and one of the first things he composed after his recovery was the Cello Sonata.

16/44 FLAC Download

Pretty much everyone loves the cello and it is hard to imagine a better vehicle to showcase the instrument than this piece.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #556 - Today at 00:18:17

New page, next Beethoven Symphony. The Ninth. The Big Kahuna.

DSD rip from Tower Japan SACD

There are many, many great recordings of The Ninth, but for me Ferenc Fricsay runs up the score on all them with his early stereo recording, with the Berlin Philharmonic made in the early sixties. The only possible downside is the DG stereo sound is not close to what RCA or Mercury were doing at time. Even Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (of whom I am no fan) is (mostly) on his best behavior. But really Fricsay is the star of the show. The way he highlights the woodwind parts in the ethereal first movement (which a lot times just sounds like a warm up exercise) to the absolute precision of rhythm and articulation in the 2nd to the way he coaxes the last measure of unutterable beauty from the slow movement, to the heroic finale which becomes a runaway freight train in the very best possible way.

There are a lot of really cool things about Beethoven, including that the very first chord of his first symphony is a dissonance. And the last 20 seconds of his last symphony, after the magnificent setting of Schiller's Hymn to a joyous  vision of humanity, is a bit of a shambles. Like Beethoven is saying there are no easy answers and even in the best case things are going to be a little messy. YMMV.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print