Send Topic Print
Reflecting on Sarah (Read 45338 times)
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Re: Reflecting on Sarah
Reply #250 - 08/04/24 at 21:02:50

So the reason I’ve been MIA on this thread is because of two main reasons:

1) Struggling to spend time in the rig.  This is due to some healthcare concerns with my parents over the past two months plus the heatwave in NJ is making it exceedingly hot and stuffy in the basement.  It’s not atypical for me to do 30 min sessions and bolt.

2) I’ve been busy tweaking and evaluating the following:

AUVA EQ footers from Stack Audio
Teddy Pardo LPS for my first switch in the chain (Netgear) that is connected to my modem
SDFB and super piggy for my Phoenix Net
SmoothLAN Network Filter from Stack Audio

I first tried the AUVA EQ on my DAC and was very happy with the result.  Night and day difference from the isoacoustics Zazen Platform it was resting on.  I was so enamored with it that I ended up getting footers for my Phoenix Net Switch and Streaming Transport and they too, added further refinement.

After mulling, trying, failing, and then mulling for another year, I ended up getting a Teddy Pardo LPS for my Netgear Switch.  That too was a positive. More subtle than the AUVA EQ’s, but still there.

Getting my fourth SDFB and power cord from Mark for the Phoenix Net was yet another enhancement—that was a forgone conclusion based on the SDFB track record to date.

I also decided to checkout the Stack Audio SmoothLAN Filter and got some positive results there as well.

All in all, I’m getting much better bass, much more detail (I don’t know why that surprised me), better soundstage/layering (with a special nod to depth), more dynamics and increased resolution.  There is this sense of undeniable sonic mass in the notes, which I can’t get enough of and the vocals are even more intimate, clear, and in the room.  A lot of the recordings that I’m intimately familiar with sound new—and that can only be a good thing!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Reply #251 - 08/08/24 at 02:58:35

One thing I forgot to mention—-after my second Cryotone 5AR4 v2 arced, I reached out to Don and he is no longer recommending that particular rectifier for Sarah.  I am getting a replacement 5U4 next week, which I’m also currently using in place of the 5AR4.

In the meantime, I think undersold how amazing the music sounds with the AUVA EQ’s in my last post.  The first set of footers on my DAC added cavernous bass, more drive/slam with grip, the sound signature became just a tad rounder at the edges vs. being precise making it a touch warmer (which I dig), and the soundstage, while certainly a touch bigger, was not necessarily because the scale increased (which has happened before), but I was getting this sense of a hole being plugged.  Like there was missing pieces in the notes—that were now suddenly fully realized.  I don’t know how else to explain it.  And oh, better PRaT was also another positive outcome.

The additional footers added depth and detail, that I thought I had plenty.
However, over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been just awestruck at how much deeper I’m listening in to the recordings with so much more micro detail that I didn’t realize was there.

I’m slowly going to work my way towards getting AUVA EQ’s under all my gear.

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #252 - 08/08/24 at 15:16:46

Hey Kamran. Sounds like the Auva EQs are doing the right things for you. I find all the more worked out feet help in their own ways, but also adjust the sound differently...especially those with "compliant damping" seeming to be more difficult to work out with a high level of transparency and neutrality.  Though perhaps sounding great to a lot of folks, to me some I have tried were a little over damped. As a point of comparison, I wonder what feet you used before these?

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Sarah

Reply #253 - 08/08/24 at 16:13:24

Hey Will— Good to hear from you!

I would say there is definitely more transparency with the new footers. I’m hearing ever deeper into the recordings over the past couple of weeks and the difference over the isoacoustics platform that my DAC rested on is anything but subtle. The Innuos gear has really good anti-vibration footers to begin with, matched to the resonant frequency of the chassis, so I didn’t have aftermarket footers for them but after learning that a lot of Stack Audio customers had AUVA EQ’s underneath their Innuos gear convinced me to give it a shot and it was a homerun on both counts.

I would highly recommend you give them a shot. Josh @stack audio is a gem to deal with.

Cheers,

Kamran

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #254 - 08/08/24 at 16:34:43

Great to hear about the Stack footers. I read good things about them on another forum. One person replaced VooDoo Cable IsoPods (which I use) with them and said they were a little better. I ordered a set of 4 to try under my PS Audio P15.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #255 - 08/09/24 at 13:27:59

Thanks Kamran, I should just order some and try them, you are right!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print