Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/29/24 at 00:16:11 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beethoven's last 3 Piano Sonatas No.30,31,32 (Read 659 times)
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Beethoven's last 3 Piano Sonatas No.30,31,32
11/29/23 at 16:08:32

I'm very happy to announce the UltraAnalogue Recordings release of a 2 tape set of Beethoven's last 3 Piano Sonatas, No.30,31,32 by Van Cliburn winner Vadym Kholodenko.
These are studio recordings made with our latest upgrades to the bypass caps in the microphone pre-amp. Together with our new WE300b playback amp for the Studer A80, the soundscape has reached new heights - listening to these is almost a spiritual experience...
Vadym is the ultimate poet on the piano IMHO.
https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/shop/tapes/musician/vadym-kholodenko/bee...
thoven-piano-sonatas-no-303132-op-109110111/

Enjoy

Ed

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Re: Beethoven's last 3 Piano Sonatas No.30,31,32
Reply #1 - 05/30/24 at 01:25:10

I just received this review from David Denyer of the Reel to Reel Rambler on this 2 tape set of Beethoven's Last 3 Piano Sonatas....

I felt these are the most beautiful solo piano recordings I've ever made & it's due to Beethoven's incredible music & Vadym's performances which bring them to life. I was just the messenger to capture these for all the hear...

Listening to the 3 is almost a spiritual experience...

I'm glad David here actually says many things reviewers never really say...

https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/2024/05/23/woah-on-being-blown-away-by-beethove...
ns-final-three-piano-sonatas-from-ultraanalogue-recordings/

Enjoy

Ed

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 05/30/24 at 17:50:48

So these are tape only, no download?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/30/24 at 20:46:44

Yes, tape only.
I'm sorry to say I've not seen really any download sales of my tapes, so I feel it's a wasted effort & besides, no format can sound like these tapes...

The magic is in the tape format. A download or LP will sound similar to the hundreds of LPs & downloads of this mainstream repertoire.

I was thinking of putting these out on vinyl, but it will lose it's magic in the transfer...

This is a bit off topic, but I just saw a post, on another forum, looking for the best Devil's Trill LP.... the answer came as a mono of Oistrakh....
It's a sad thing when everyone just chases these ghosts of yesteryears...
50-60 yrs from now, will people only want the players from the 1960's?? Sad state & hard for current violinists...

Ed

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - Yesterday at 22:04:50

Here's some interesting thoughts on these 2 tapes from tape guru Ken Swauger on WBF:
Sep 13, 2024
I recently had to do a slight modification to my Studer A80 RC deck, since I use the NextGen playback amplifiers the front chassis panel is left hanging down. With the NextGen boards the audio outputs are taken from the front of the plugin plates rather than at the rear of the console. This is done to provide a less contaminated signal and better fidelity. The result, with the front door down, is that in a quiet listening room the very slight ticking of the clock timer can be heard, especially with very low level detailed program material. I finally lifted the transport up, found the red and orange wires leading to the timer and removed them.
Now to test the result I began playing the second tape in this collection, part of No.31 and the complete No.32 which has the most detailed low level detail available and the widest dynamic range I know of. The result was pure sonic bliss, all of the delicate nuances of Vadym's playing during the pianissimo passages were there undisturbed. Then the dramatic forceful fortissimo sections were revealed in full, undistorted transient glory. Without the ticking there was just authentic wide dynamic range, not a hint of signal clipping or tape print through. For me this is a tape that every prospective tape deck manufacturer or tape playback preamp designer should have in their evaluation regimen. If there's any hint of distortion then the culprit is elsewhere, not the tape.

Ed

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print