Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
06/26/24 at 06:45:22 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived! (Read 13251 times)
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Re: Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived!
Reply #200 - 06/13/24 at 02:37:31

CAJames…Very nice looking unit. Al’s black oak 1002 cabinet is my favorite. I am starting to regret getting the runt of the litter 🤔….but man this Str 104 has blown me away with its SQ improvement.  You should be amazed with your Str 1002!

Al is the man and his service is impeccable …. Amazing how he builds units while responding to email question interruptions.  Hope he did’t forget or misconnect  any parts  with all my distracting questions and trouble shooting interruptions! 😳. Enjoy the Music!🕺

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #201 - 06/13/24 at 04:32:10

I'm... ummm... seriously considering ordering a STR-104 to use with the ZP3. I literally don't know if I have space for it, but I just emailed Al asking for dimensions on one of the sideways units.

Like so:

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #202 - 06/13/24 at 08:58:55

I started messing around with things tonight and ended up with two Sophia Aqua II 274Bs in the STR. I immediately realized that I've been so i infatuated with the whole concept of mercury vapor that I hadn't really considered giving more familiar rectifiers a spin in my new toy.

That was a mistake. These sound great! I put an old GE 5R4GYA in the ZP3 to take the place of the 274B I swiped for the STR, and apparently it is no slouch. I'm going to leave things like this for a while, at least until I get the 866A adapter from STL.

My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but at least she always knows where I am...

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #203 - 06/13/24 at 16:31:27

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:32:10

I'm... ummm... seriously considering ordering a STR-104 to use with the ZP3. I literally don't know if I have space for it...I immediately realized that I've been so i infatuated with the whole concept of mercury vapor that I hadn't really considered giving more familiar rectifiers a spin in my new toy.

That was a mistake.

Ummm. So I've been thinking too . I have a pretty nice collection of rectifiers I've accumulated over the years and, assuming the STR works out, which I'm confident it will, I'll have a surplus. I was thinking I needed to start selling them off, and you know, have money coming in. But recently it occurred to me I could buy STR-104s for my UFO25s and deploy 2 rectifiers where I'm only using 1 now, i.e. spend more money. For me space isn't a problem, but filtered outlets are. Although that could be solved with even more money .

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 00:58:55

...My girlfriend thinks I'm crazy, but at least she always knows where I am...

LoL. I tell my wife (often) that this is better than me cooking meth.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #204 - 06/13/24 at 17:06:18

"But recently it occurred to me I could buy STR-104s for my UFO25s and deploy 2 rectifiers where I'm only using 1 now"

It's rectifiers all the way down!!

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #205 - 06/13/24 at 22:16:02

Well, I just sent Al payment for a STR-104.

I'm somewhat relieved that my ZMA doesn't have tube rectification.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #206 - 06/13/24 at 22:18:35

Right on! Are you getting any adapters?

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #207 - 06/13/24 at 23:53:05

I am!

I already have 845 to 300B and 3008 to 5U4G adapters, plus the dual 300B to 866A adapter on its way to me. With the 104 order, I also ordered 845 to 5U4G adapters so I can run that type in the 1002 without having to stack adapters.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #208 - 06/17/24 at 20:28:40

845 to 866A adapter arrived today. This rectifier combo sounds amazing, btw.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #209 - 06/17/24 at 21:10:31

Wow we will have to call you Elroy…thats an amazing set up.  
I love those mercury tubes they sound great!  Enjoy!

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #210 - 06/17/24 at 23:17:42

One more thing: I didn't like how tubes were kind of loose in the STR sockets, so I've been adding a layer of electrical tape to the base of my tubes, just above the guide pin. Now they are sitting nice and tight and straight.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #211 - 06/18/24 at 04:03:30

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 12:28:40

845 to 866A adapter arrived today. This rectifier combo sounds amazing, btw.

So, sounds like you aren’t into the 10V transmitting tubes. My STR shipped today, and AL sent instructions including how the bayonet mount works. Smiley

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #212 - 06/19/24 at 00:24:08

CAJames --

The only 10v tubes I have so far are the Psvane 805A pair that came with the STR. Honestly, they sound pretty good. I just love experimenting with more esoteric stuff. I'll probably try some more big tubes sooner than later.

So far, the Sophia Aqua II 274B plus the two 866s is the best combo I've found. I have some RCA JAN CRC 5R4GYs coming my way, and a couple of Chatham JAN-CAHG-3B28s. The experiment continues!

I am looking forward to hearing how you like yours once it arrives. I suspect you'll be pretty happy!

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #213 - 06/19/24 at 01:02:06

I was just looking to mail out a package and found this on the USPS site. Whoops!

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #214 - 06/19/24 at 02:16:28

Bloodlemons-  Yikes on the Mercury…I was kinda wondering if that might be the case.

I really like the RCA JAN CRC 5R4GYs. I bought an unused pair ST bottle, brown base, white lettering 1958 and they have been king of the hill in my Supratek Preamp. Just such a full, warm SQ that checks all the boxes for my preamp.

I just received a pair of RCA 3B28 Xeon tubes today and they sound very good.  Not quite as good as the 866A/300b or 83/300b combos.  Still need more time to get them settled in and also try some additional combo’s with them. The permutations of all these STR tubes is going to require a  spreadsheet🤪.

Look forward to hearing your take on these tubes.  Fun toy!

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #215 - 06/19/24 at 04:23:49

I have a bunch of 5V rectifiers I can “double adapter” with the 300B adapters: 53KU, U52, GZ33 & 34, WWII RCA 5R4GY double D getters and various USA 5Z3 and 80s and I’m sure others that have slipped my mind ATM. Plus 300B tubes and 211 and 845 transmitting triodes. So I’ve got plenty to keep me busy without worrying about mercury tubes.

And re: mercury tubes in the mail. I’m very much a “rules guy” but people have been mailing those tubes for forever, so that isn’t something I’m going to worry about. But I would do a double extra good job packing them.  JMO/FWIW and all that.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #216 - 06/19/24 at 06:01:48

I haven't mailed a mercury tube yet, but I have received several already... They've all been fine!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #217 - 06/19/24 at 21:54:10

CAJames, Your Cossor tubes say LinLai? My Cossor 845s say PSVANE. So bizarre.

Funch, Do you mean a STR-104 MK2 or a STR-1004? When I spoke with Al he said the only advantage the 1004 has is you can run the 875A rectifiers (shipped with) which the other STRs cannot run.

Bloonlemons, Love the photos! Those 872A are cool looking tubes.

Hearafter, I like the wood trim.

I’m still blown away with how much changing the tubes in the STR changes the sound. I

There are some similarities. Clean, low noise and detail galore are a few of them.

Even in the same family they can sound wildly different. 845s do seem to have the most space and air. I have only tried 1 pair of 211s and 2 pairs of 805s.

I Borrowed my brothers Linlai E-845 the most holographic tube I’ve tried in the STR so far!

Dana, along the same thoughts as CAJames. The STR will give you a change in a different facet vs the change going from UFO to UFO25.

The 805A that are shipped with the STR-1002 are very rich and lush compared to other 845s I’ve tried.

I’ve read other places that the 4 pin jumbo and the xenon and mercury tubes can take 150+ hours to fully open up and show what they can do.

I’ve noticed this with the jumbo tubes I have. The first 10-20 hours are not what they will sound like at 150+

I’m optimistic that I’ll get to try my amp with 4x jumbo tubes in the next week or two when my brothers STR-1003 and STR-104 arrive.

I think there is something to BIG or jumbo tubes. Linlai 6SN7, KT170s and PSVANE KT150s all sound really good. All have an expansive sound stage.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #218 - 06/19/24 at 22:05:15

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 13:54:10

CAJames, Your Cossor tubes say LinLai? My Cossor 845s say PSVANE. So bizarre.

Technically the box says it, not the tubes, but yes LinLai. And they are clear glass where yours are smoked, yes? I don't think it is a big deal, my guess is whoever pays the licensing can use the name.

I got a tracking update that my STR landed in LA this morning, so hopefully only a couple more days. I'm getting excited!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #219 - 06/19/24 at 22:22:09

They are probably both Shuguang. Cheesy

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #220 - 06/19/24 at 23:50:44

I meant to type 104. I blame my hyperactive finger for the extra zero. I assigned it to the zero 'cuz it is one, but it still messed up the job.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #221 - 06/20/24 at 02:47:06

What amps are you guys running KT170s in? Will any Decware amps handle anything in that category over KT88?

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #222 - 06/20/24 at 22:21:04

CAJames, yes, mine are smoked. Odd and makes sense at the same time I guess. Exciting that it's almost to you!

BL, I've been running KT170s in my DAC. I don't think any Decware amps can run the KT170s.

Funch, gotcha.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #223 - 06/23/24 at 04:05:29

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My STR landed this afternoon and I'm totally blown away!

I think the word Groovy used was transformative, and that is exactly what it. As big an improvement from a single piece of gear as when I got my UFOs back in 2020 (technically that was 2x the same piece of gear, but same difference). I went with the stock 805 tubes, and after warm up the sound stage just exploded! It is huge, gigantic, awesome. And my room might get a gentleman's C- from the treatment authorities.

Since Decware and my Omega speakers I've felt like "big" music e.g. a symphony orchestra sounded great, where small ensembles or solo instruments was magic. I figured that was life with 6" stand mounted monitors and I was totally happy. But that changed today. Now the orchestra (or big band or whatever) isn't just filling the room, it sounds like it is filling the whole house. I could use any number of Steve-isms but I'll just say it wrecked me. I've had more goosebumps in the last 4 hours than I have since that trip to the Russian Arctic (long story, don't ask).

The sound itself is pretty much what it was pre-STR. Just a little warmer, maybe a little slower and rounded off in the transients. Pointed in the direction of the Space-tech 300B amp, which isn't unpleasant, but I don't think that will be my final destination.

Next up will be the 211 tubes. Much more later.

IP Logged
Hearafter

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #224 - 06/23/24 at 04:29:19

CAJames - 😂😂 Good to hear you are amazed and I am not surprised.  I had the same reaction 🤯 with mine. Were you the one wondering if the STR would make much of difference since your system already sounded good or was that someone else?🤔 Al is the Man.  I’m thinking DAC now with built in STR even though I don’t have space for it…Ughhh down another rabbit hole or cavern should I say!

What component do you have plugged in to?

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #225 - 06/23/24 at 05:29:55

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 20:29:19

...Were you the one wondering if the STR would make much of difference since your system already sounded good or was that someone else?

Yep, that was me.

I have it plugged into my pre/headphone amp. And the UFO25s are tuned for maximum transparency so they let the upstream components shine.

Quote:
...I’m thinking DAC now with built in STR even though I don’t have space for it…Ughhh down another rabbit hole or cavern should I say!

Grumble grumble. After I got my UFOs I had to upgrade my digital. It wasn't cheap but I'm really happy with it. But, I can totally imagine one of ALs DACs with a builtin STR being yet another transformation. I have space for it, but I don't have the money and I'm telling myself I don't have the need either. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

IP Logged
Kamran
Seasoned Member

Reply #226 - 06/23/24 at 06:01:45

James, I don’t recall seeing this much emotion from you previously—that speaks volumes (no pun intended).

Congrats!

Innuos Pulse Streaming Transport and Phoenix Net Switch-Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC-Ic0n4 Autoformer Passive Pre-Sarah 300B SET Amp-ZBIT-GIK Room Treatment-Caintuck Audio Magnum Baffles—Li Audio Fast 15 Drivers-P.I. Audio MajikBuss & Puritan PSM 156 Conditioners
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #227 - 06/23/24 at 11:46:51

Why is it that I'm feeling sucked into a dark hole vortex after reading this thread? Do I really need yet another component for my system?

Well I'm considering a STR-104-Mk2-Super to pair with my CSP3 that has 25th Anniversary modifications now. I just received a 3 amp SDFB to use with the CSP3 and haven't even been able to hook it up yet due to travel.

I'm just going to have to take some rack measurements to make sure the STR 104 MkII will fit nicely next to my CSP3 and there will be enough headroom for the tubes. I'm currently running a Cryotine 5U4G-WC rectifier in the CSP3. Something tells me a new Butcher Block Acoustics Rigid Rack is in the not too distant future.

So I'll be shooting an email to Al with some system and room information shortly. Plan to start out with some 845 tubes (as long as they fit with my rack height limits). I will probably order one with a wood base, hopefully Al can match my Decware cherry base after I send some pictures.

I currently have a power cable loom that primarily consist of Zenwave & Snake River Audio power cords (damn you Nigel & Jonny). Based on current STL tube rectifier users, how important is an after market PC with the tube rectifiers? Does it have a similar importance factor as compared with an amp or source equipment?

You guys are just a terrible influence. Thanks.😉

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #228 - 06/23/24 at 13:04:16

CAJames, Yahoo! Your description sounds similar to my experience.

The way you describe the 805As that shipped with the STR is also spot on with how I would describe them.

I’m looking forward to more reports as you get more time and try some more tubes. The jumbo tubes can take 100-150 hours to settle and show you what they can do. Some are much faster than that.

HK, More like a vortex of sparkling light that takes you a new plane.

I haven’t tested with aftermarket PCs with the STR. I do have a SRA cable on it, only because I have an extra one. I haven’t compared to other PCs.

The STR-104 MK2 isn’t compatible with the 4 pin jumbo tubes (845, 805, 211, etc.) The STR-1002 is.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #229 - 06/23/24 at 14:42:52

Thanks guys. And double extra thanks to GroovySauce for taking the plunge and sharing his experience with the STR.

If I sounded excited yesterday its only because I was. I guess (for me at least) there is always a little fear of the unknown, esp. when you spend 4 figures on something as funky as an external rectifier. And to have it pay off, and so handsomely, is both really satisfyingly and a bit of relief. Like when I got my first Decware amps. But unlike the amps the STR didn't need hours of breakin to slowly reveal the magic. It was just BANG! I'm here and your system is way better than you thought it could be.

I let the 211 tubes cook overnight. I don't necessarily recommend running tube gear while you're asleep, but I'm not a patient person so I do it occasionally. I'm going to let it cool off for a few hours while I do other stuff and then start listening, so another update later. Finally, in case anyone is interested, the dimensions of my 1002 with the big tubes are:

8"W x 16"D x 12"H.

So the footprint is pretty similar to a UFO25. It also got a bit warm running the big transmitting triodes for 10 hours.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #230 - 06/23/24 at 17:43:40

CAJames --

Awesome to hear that your mind is blown, as was mine. I literally not understand why more audiophiles aren't using some form of outboard rectifier. People will spend hundreds of dollars on rocks to put on top of your components, but somehow scoff at Al's designs. Like you said, the STR is the biggest upgrade in the sound of my system since getting the Decware amps themselves. And it is so simple to integrate. Pretty much just plug it in and you're off to the races.

As for cost, the STR-1002-Mk2-Super I got cost approx 1/3 of the ZMA, 2/3 of each the CSP3 and ZP3, 1/2 of a Sorcer, 2/3 of my turntable cartridge, 1/3 of my tonearm, etc... The STR is hardly a huge outlay in comparison to the rest of the system. I'm not saying it's inexpensive, but there are people with $100K speakers out there (not me)...

IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #231 - 06/23/24 at 20:35:28

CAJames,

Have you tried it with headphones? Is the change as dramatic as with speakers?

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #232 - 06/23/24 at 20:53:19

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 09:43:40

...As for cost, the STR-1002-Mk2-Super I got cost approx 1/3 of the ZMA, 2/3 of each the CSP3 and ZP3, 1/2 of a Sorcer, 2/3 of my turntable cartridge, 1/3 of my tonearm, etc... The STR is hardly a huge outlay in comparison to the rest of the system.

For sure, as a "component" it is perfectly reasonable. As a "tweak" like a cable or fuse or rock it is a lot of money. But whatever you call it for what it does it is a screaming bargain.

Quote:
Posted by: funch      Posted on: Today at 12:35:28

Have you tried it with headphones? Is the change as dramatic as with speakers?

Yes and no. There is certainly a bigger headscape, but not as dramatic as with speakers. This is consistent with my experience through the years: speakers are much more revealing of spatial effects than 'phones. It is a nice upgrade but I wouldn't have spent the money just for headphones. That is what I expected going in.

Early returns on Cossor/LinLai 211s are very positive. The sound is faster and more dynamic than the 805A and if not exactly warm, it has a very solid low register. The soundstage is huge, but not as huge has the 805A. Will it get even better with more hours? Almost certainly, but I also want to hear the 845s so I'll listen to the 211s through tomorrow than swap in the 845s.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #233 - Yesterday at 00:49:45

Here's something that's most-definitely a "your mileage may vary" type of thing, but I was using a Verafi Super Piggy (without SDFB) on my STR-1002 to check out an unrelated question I had, and the Super Piggy sounds notably better than the much larger "audiophile" cord I was using before. I'm not going to name the manufacturer of the other cord because (again), YMMV. But let's just say I was surprised. The Super Piggy produced a slightly wider soundstage, but the main benefit is a substantial increase in holographic depth. The Super Piggy is a little too short for my setup, but it's long enough to make the connection so I guess it's staying put for the foreseeable future.

I also swapped Copper and Super Sluggos in the STR fuse position and Copper sounded good, maybe even a little more heft, but the Super Sluggo won out for clarity and detail (but it was fairly close, truth be told). I haven't swapped in a Super-Duper Sluggo yet, because I can't decide which component to remove one from for the experiment, but that will happen soon enough. Also, I have two Graphene on the way, so that will probably free a couple of spots up for a more comprehensive comparison.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #234 - Yesterday at 02:43:54

So the 211 tubes sounded pretty much the same after 30+ hours as they did after 10 so I put them away to get a head start on the 845. I liked the 211 a lot, it had a really solid, "tactile" tone with tons of detail and dynamics. Downside was the sound stage was compressed compared to the other tubes in the STR or my favorite conventional rectifiers. The center image was great, but it ended at the edge of the speakers and I'm used to it extending well beyond. I've seen NOS or good used 211s at decent prices so that might be something I'll look at down the road.

I've got about 6 hours on the 845s and I don't want to say much. Right now the soundstage is certainly big and airy, but too airy and the sound is a bit thin and/or veiled. But we'll see how it sounds tomorrow.

FYI/FWIW I also tried swapping my decent power cord with the throw away that came with the STR and didn't notice any difference. So if you need to go cheap on a PC the STR would be a good candidate.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #235 - Yesterday at 08:22:52

CAJames --

It's interesting that you would say that about the PC on the STR, because my experience was so different. Now I'm wondering if I should try a generic PC and see how it compares to the Super Piggy. Maybe the STR just doesn't like big thick power cords? Counterintuitive, but like I said above, I was very surprised that the PC I swapped in just for a minute to test something ended up being unquestionably preferable to the much more expensive cord it replaced. You never know in this hobby!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #236 - Yesterday at 16:25:57

Bloodlemons,

Roughly speaking I am thinking it is like adding a sluggo, compared to fuses... I think a sluggo increases power supply push and all beyond. To a point this can enhance the signal in balance. But after that point, it can push the power supply hard enough to cause the rest of the component parts to load enough to consolidate the mids, reducing finer information that supports a good soundstage and a real music feel.... while beefing bass up too much, the bass thicker, darker, and more muddled... and leaking into the mids, masking finer textures, ambient info, etc. A balancing act that reveals differently in different setups and components.

Power cables are the same, perhaps especially with our tube gear. Don't know as I have not used solid state amps for a very long time. I am guessing they are effected, perhaps as much, or perhaps they are a little more tolerant...But in my experience, with simple circuits in tube components, wire size is a big player in sound qualities... not just at the power cord.

So I suspect what folks who prefer the stock cable with super rectifiers are hearing is likely less the cable quality, and more the cable quantity. Associated, I am guessing a cable with the same gauge and really nice wires and ends would sound better. Have not looked to verify, but memory says a lot of these stock cables are about 14 gauge??? a lean sounding cable in comparison especially to a 10-8 gauge cable that many "audiophile" cable makers think are "better" ...which can be true, but not necessarily. Also some audiophile cables are intentionally made to be "warm" and euphonic in the right setups, but if not right, the affects applied in design to make them warm and euphonic can go too far, and darken/thicken/slow/mask.

I am guessing in your comparison the Super Piggy covers both toward a more revealing sound from the super rectifier... likely a lighter gauge than your other cable, while being designed/made to read neutral and transparent...

It could be one or the other, or both you are liking, pushing and/or coloring the super rectifier parts less, including tubes, and letting the super rectifier do its thing without consolidation and thickness. Worth checking out I think.

Will

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #237 - Yesterday at 19:19:18

Will --

That all makes sense! Yes, the Super Piggy is considerably thinner than the cord it replaced. I may have to seek out a longer cord of similar gauge.

Thank you for your thoughts on that one!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #238 - Yesterday at 19:59:06

You are welcome. I think for many of us it is well known different power cables have different sound, but how much gauge can effect this, not as much....  it definitely does in my systems... gauge and materials, and geometry all effect the speed, revelation, and colorations of the sound for better or worse. Power cable rolling, finding the best one for a component in the matrix has been a big thing here to get the most complete and musical balances all together and without sacrifices. I find internal wires the same, and ICs, and speaker cables in my systems.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #239 - Today at 03:49:48

So neither my 211 nor 845 tubes are a homerun at this point (30ish hours in). The 211 has a gorgeous, solid tactile sound but a compressed sound stage. The 845 has a huge 3D sound stage but a thin, veiled sound. So I put one of each the STR, and adjusted the tubes in my (non-Decware) preamp, to which the STR is connected, and the system sounds really good. Not the best of both tubes, but a good combination of the strengths without much of the weaknesses. I might have liked the 805As a little better, but I was so overwhelmed on first listen I'd need to hear them again to get a fair opinion and I want to give the 211+845 (I'll call it 1056) a full 150 hours and then re-evaluate.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print