Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/16/24 at 05:28:51 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived! (Read 18808 times)
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Re: Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived!
Reply #250 - 06/29/24 at 00:09:29

Bloodlemons-  Great info even for a STR-104er.  Interesting you like the smaller tubes that can be used in the STR-104.  You got me very curious how the STR-1002 compares in SQ to the STR-104 using the same set of tubes.  I still keep wondering if I made a mistake and should have purchased the 1002 even though I am extremely happy with my 104.  Maybe you could compare them using the same 5v tubes when the 104 arrives if it's not  too much of a hassle.

The 866a are my favorites paired with other tubes  or together but I do like running  2-3B28’s in an adapter with 1 300b.

Other combo’s that I like are: 1 Type 83 and 1 300b, 2-3B22 and 1 type 83, 2-3B22 and 1 300b, 2- 3B22 (stock set)

I haven’t really found that any of my regular 5 volt rectifiers sound  as good as the above combos. I seem to prefer the Mercury and Xeon gas tubes and 300b so far.  Time will tell with more hours of use.  Fun tinker toy!

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #251 - 06/29/24 at 00:30:36

Hereafter --

You KNOW I will be comparing tubes in both units. I don't even have a choice; it's a compulsion!

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #252 - 06/29/24 at 19:34:00

So this morning I listened again to the 845/211 combo, now with 100+ hours and it continues to improve. Then I put the 805As back in for the first time since my initial listening, and they win. Just a bigger, better and overall nicer sound. And it seems like after a week of almost continuous use some of the extra warmth has cooked out of the STR so they actually sound even better than I remember. I think I'm done rolling for a while and am just going to enjoy the 805As.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #253 - 06/29/24 at 21:41:17

CA James,

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like Al made a solid choice with the 805A tubes for the STR-1002. Such a wide variety of choices with tube options and SQ/build variations on these options.

I'm doing my research now and plan a discussion with Al as he has probably heard more different combinations in his tube rectifiers.  Looks like LinLai has different levels 805A tubes as well.

Enjoy, glad to hear it's sounding even better with more hours on the unit.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #254 - 07/01/24 at 19:24:04

After several incidences of forgetting to check tube voltage or turn components on/off in the correct order, I decided to have some more-explicit switchplates made to help curb my general haste and stupity.

how to download a photo on facebook

I am also concerned that a visitor to my home might be intrigued be the hi-fi and start poking around. So I whipped up some safety precaution plates and decals.

download high resolution images from google

I made enough for the imminent STR-104 as well. It might be overkill, but I feel a little better knowing that curious fingers should be on notice that this is not your typical Sony integrated amp. As for the instruction plates, hopefully they'll catch my eye a little more often before I start flipping switches and swapping things around.

I have four extra of the mercury decals if anyone wants one. 6 was the minimum order.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #255 - 07/01/24 at 19:34:48

After I made the voltage mistake and damaged 2 tubes, I have developed the habit of always flipping the v switch to the middle off position when tubes are removed.  Forces me to set the voltage and no harm is done if I forget and turn STR on standby.  Works for me so far🤞

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #256 - 07/01/24 at 21:21:11

I love the mercury vapor warning! I want one just for the aesthetics, but in California you'd need a Prop 65 warning as well and I don't want to get in trouble with the heat.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #257 - 07/01/24 at 21:57:43

Hearafter -- that is a good way of handling that situation. Good thinking!

CAJAmes -- If you want to make up a warning label that fits your state's requirements, I used SmartSign to create the labels:

https://www.smartsign.com/fod/che/custom-ansi-chemical-labels

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #258 - 07/06/24 at 17:28:57

I'm familiar with the idea that changing rectifiers can change the "synergy" (best single word I can think of) of the other tubes in your amp. But I wasn't prepared for the way the STR basically turned my tube caddy upside down.

I thought I had settled on the default 805 tubes, but after a couple days was feeling vaguely dissatisfied. So I went back and listened to the 211s and then the 845s. And then I started rolling the other tubes in my (non-Decware) preamp, to which the STR is connected. And ended up in a very different place then where I started. So, for now I'm running the 845s (I'm guessing LinLai DG series) with very different preamp tubes than I started with.

And the sound is glorious. I was listening to a recording (Juilliard Quartet playing the Mozart Dissonance Quartet) that I vividly remember listening to with the STL 300B and thinking it was "beautiful, maybe too beautiful" because the sound was so rich but seemed like it was missing just a little bite that violins should have. And now I'm thinking it is "beautiful, maybe perfect." But we'll see where I am next week...or month. Regardless, the bottom line is I'm still overwhelmed by the improvement the STR has made in my system.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #259 - 07/06/24 at 22:45:07

Very nice, CAJames! I'm glad to hear you're loving what the STR brings to your rig.

I also can't quite bring myself to quit with the tube rolling. A pair of Amperex 575-A mercury vapor tubes I found on eBay showed up today. My STL-supplied anode leads weren't quite long enough to accommodate the taller tubes, so I spent part of the morning repurposing an old mic cable to make longer leads. Turns out STL uses standard microphone wire, with each individual wire terminating together in a single twist, so I just unsoldered the shorter cables and resoldered the caps and plugs to slightly longer cable. Works a treat!

The 575-As sound really great, I think as good or better than my RCA 866As. I'll have to do some serious comparison listening some point soon, of course, right now I don't feel like I'm misisng anything. And (I think you'll agree) they look extremely cool:

free photo hosting ru

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #260 - 07/06/24 at 22:55:47

Those tubes look awesome!

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #261 - 07/06/24 at 23:38:38

Winner of Coolest looking tubes ever!  Amperex?  I think my Little STR would blow with those power tubes at 55W each.  Excellent find for you👍👍

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #262 - 07/06/24 at 23:54:09

Cheesy

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #263 - 07/07/24 at 00:25:57

Well... That was short-lived. My STR's SDFB popped off and I smelled the magic smoke. Apparently I was flying too close to the sun with the 575-As...

I'm a little bummed but mostly mildly amused. I have always been "good" with gear and the STR just keeps leading me into ignorant mistakes.

So, looks like she's probably headed back to Al, unless I can figure out how to fix it myself... I'm not sure what I fried yet.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #264 - 07/07/24 at 00:45:19

Ouch. Sorry for your loss.

Flying close to the sun can be brilliant, until it isn't.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #265 - 07/07/24 at 01:05:20

Lol, yeah. Al got back to me already, says he'll send me new transformers and I can either replace them myself or have it done locally.

SO... It turns out only the STR-1004 can handle the 575-A tubes. So, now I know.

Al says my STR-104 is shipping next week, so there shouldn't be much downtime in the big picture.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #266 - 07/07/24 at 02:06:35

OhhNooo…Sorry for the tough learning experience.  Good attitude!  Just tell Al to add a zero to your Str-104. Grin  Good luck with it all!

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer
Seasoned Member

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #267 - 07/07/24 at 11:48:19

Hello bloodlemons,
Not wishing to hijack this thread, but I noticed Herbies dampers on your ZP3,
I'm thinking of using these on my ZP3, SE84CS, and my Woo Audio WES.
You happy with what they've done to your system?

Cheers,      Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #268 - 07/07/24 at 17:39:00

"Classic Bobby Hutcherson Blue Note Sessions 1963 to 1970" disc VI

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #269 - 07/07/24 at 17:39:10

BL, Sorry to read about your loss.

I have been following the exploits of members with STR, and you have been out there on the cutting edge. Here's to a quick recovery!

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #270 - 07/07/24 at 17:43:27

I took a look at the transformers this morning and only one is fried, so that's good. Found out I can still use one of the two sockets without tripping anything, so I took the inoperable socket out of the circuit with the handy switch and am currently rocking just the 866A pair through the double adapter. Things could be a lot worse!

If you look down toward the bottom of the transformer in this pic, you can see the melty goodness:

Replacement transformers are $80 from STL, so not the end of the world. And it looks like the kind of soldering I can handle on my own, which is nice. Just a little bump in the road, guys!

Crazy Bill -- I added the Herbie's dampers around the same time I made a lot of other isolation tweaks, so I can't say exactly if they are the root cause of any significant change in sound. However, I was using the typical rubber o-rings prior, and A/B-ing the o-rings with the Herbie's on  just the KT88s in my ZMA brought a noticeable and welcome improvement in lower-midrange clarity, resulting in increased high-end detail without adding any harshness; you hear the same highs that were always there, just not surrounded by mid-range murk. For obvious reasons, it was much easier for me to A/B the dampers on a single type of tube in that way than try the same for every tube in the system. All in all, things sound very good and I believe the Herbie's are contributing overall.

One more thing about the Herbie's: They were out of a couple of the sizes I wanted. Some of the dampers I was able to get looked like they would fit slightly larger tubes, so I gave that a shot and the answer is NO. I don't know why it makes so much difference, but the too-tight dampers immediately made things sound overly bright, brittle and generally unpleasant. Removing just those few dampers immediately restored the previous sound quality. I was impressed that just a slightly-too-tight piece of wire could make such a difference, but it was very apparent, as if I has swapped in a set of bad tubes. Sometjhing to keep in mind.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #271 - 07/07/24 at 19:51:47

Tony --

I am on the cutting edge of something alright... The edge of my limited knowledge! lol

IP Logged
Adamaley
Verified Member

Reply #272 - 07/08/24 at 03:08:57

I'm new to this forum - my interest in the Super Tube Rectifier brought me here. Much thanks to Groovysauce for chasing the rabbit and bringing me/us along in the process.

I've recently placed an order for an STR-1002, and I'm here to keep my soul fed in the meantime. Thanks to all who are sharing tube matching experiences. Condolences to the casualties of war as well. Please keep it coming.

Bluetti AC200P powering
(Taiko Audio Extreme Server
Lampizator Pacific DAC
Misho Myronov Wooden Preamp)
LiFePO4 battery + Inverter + PSM156 powering
(Wyetech Labs Ruby XR300B Monoblock Amps)
ZenMaster F-15 Speakers (Altec VOTT 817 build in progress)
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #273 - 07/08/24 at 04:11:54

Quote:
Posted by: Adamaley      Posted on: Today at 19:08:57

...I've recently placed an order for an STR-1002, and I'm here to keep my soul fed in the meantime.

Welcome!

Tell us about your system and how you plan to use the STR.

IP Logged
Adamaley
Verified Member

Reply #274 - 07/08/24 at 08:01:59

My system is digital, and as follows: Taiko Audio Extreme server --> Lampizator Pacific DAC --> Misho Myronov Wooden Preamp --> Wyetech Labs Ruby XR 300b Monoblock Amps --> Lii Audio F-15 speakers (temporary, while I build Altec VOTT 817 speakers). My system is fully battery powered and off the grid.

My goal is to use the STR-1002 with both my DAC (5U4G family rectifier) and preamp (EZ80/EZ81 rectifier). Albert will be building me an extra cable for EZ80/81 rectifier connection. Once I determine where the STR has the most impact between the DAC and preamp, that's where it shall remain. At that point, who knows, I might be tempted to purchase another STR.

Bluetti AC200P powering
Lampizator Pacific DAC
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #275 - 07/08/24 at 15:28:49

You have a nice-looking system you have there Adamaley.  The one thing I did not recognize at all was the Taiko Audio Extreme server, and after looking it up was duly impressed.  I look forward to hearing more about your thoughts and impressions of the STR. Welcome to the community.

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #276 - 07/08/24 at 16:16:30

Welcome Adamley!

Al and I have been exchanging emails and we've come to the conclusion that he should upgrade my 1002 to an 1004 so I will stop breaking things. I'm going to wait until I get my imminent 104 and then send the 1002 back to merry olde Canadia. It's so funny to think that I didn't even know what an STR was three or four months ago. Now I don't know how anyone can live without one...

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #277 - 07/08/24 at 16:28:13

I suspect some of us are quickly building up an ungainly number of rectifier tubes. Would anyone be interested in a dedicated buy/sell/trade tubes thread?

IP Logged
Adamaley
Verified Member

Reply #278 - 07/09/24 at 08:48:23

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Bluetti AC200P powering
Lampizator Pacific DAC
  IP Logged
duaneh
Verified Member

Reply #279 - 07/09/24 at 16:13:24

I’m digital with a dac/streamer sans rectifier and based on the positives here, I’m considering a 104 super for my UFO25. I’m using a Sophia Electric 274b (version 1) at the moment. Looks like most are inserting the STR closer to the source. Haven’t read in the thread of someone using one more exclusively on an amp. Groovysauce—did you describe your experience at your brother’s and I missed it? Anyone care to comment?

Decware SE84UFO25, ZROCK2, Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (with Modwright modifications), Klipsch Heresy IIIs, Forte IVs, Mapleshade Double Helix 2 speaker wire, Decware DSR I/Cs, Brickwall surge protector, DHC-1 and Audiocrast power cords, Qobuz/Roon
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #280 - 07/09/24 at 16:29:38

IMO anywhere you put the STR is going to have a significant impact on your sound. I wouldn't hesitate to add it to your UFO25. But, my experience is the difference between 5V tubes (300B, various "heritage" 5V rectifiers but no mercury rectifiers) in the STR and my favorite rectifiers directly in my preamp is much less than the 10V transmitting triodes. But, again, that is my (non-Decware) preamp in my system so FWIW/YMMV and all that.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #281 - 07/09/24 at 17:00:45

Duaneh, My Str-104 is being used in my Torii Jr v2 with an excellent improvement in SQ.  I have not tryed it in my preamp due to my setup in my cabinet makes if very difficult if possible. Al does not recommend a longer cable.   My pre also has a separate heavy duty separate power supply that it may not make as much of a difference.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #282 - 07/09/24 at 17:11:41

Adamaley, Welcome and I hope to hear about your success with the STR. You have put together an amazing system.🤯👍👍 My jaw is sore from hitting my ipad!

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #283 - 07/09/24 at 18:28:21

Bloodlemons, Love the labels!

As the KT170s are settling in I’ve changed my tube(s) in the STR yet again. I was first running the Linlai 211s then the Linlai 805s. I’ve not gone to a single Linlai 845-DG. I found this tube to be a little to clean and clinical when I was running two. I pulled one out and it’s sounding really good to my ears. It offers more density and holography than two. It still keeps the clear shimmering highs.

Before the Linlai 845-DG I ran 1 PSVANE 805A that shipped with the STR it was nice and holographic, it didn’t have the tightness and higher frequency extension that the Linlai 845-DG has. I’m going to try both the PSVANE 805A and Linlai 845-DG next time I turn on the system.

Bloodlemons, Those tubes look so cool! Bummer blowing up the transformer!

Adamaley, glad you finally got approved to post!

Quote:
It's so funny to think that I didn't even know what an STR was three or four months ago. Now I don't know how anyone can live without one…

It really has been a game changer for me too! It’s opened up so many possibilities and options for fine tuning the sound. More than just fine tuning the sound it’s giving a lot of X factor which is a tough one to convey.

Quote:
Groovysauce—did you describe your experience at your brother’s and I missed it? Anyone care to comment?

Yes, my brother has a 1003 and 104 hooked up to his amp. Unfortunately not really sure how things changed. It was delivered when I was over at his place assembling the GR-Research Bully speakers.

I agree with James, the STR will have a significant impact on the sound. There is a caveat, DACs and Preamps don’t pull much current. The 4 pin jumbo tubes are going to significantly drop the voltage. They  also only supply around 100ma of current each. The 104 with the 3b22s will supply 1+ amp of current so that’s no problem. 3b22 is also a rectifier with standard rectifier voltage drop so not much to consider. What I would be interested in is blending 1x 3b22 and 1x 300B, 2a3, 45 or other equivalent tube and see what that does.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #284 - 07/09/24 at 18:59:53

Groovysauce-  Blending the 300b with the 3b22 is one of my preferred combo’s.  Definitely worth a go.  My combo preference with my Str-104 in my Torii Jr so far has been 866a(2)/300b, 83/300b, 3b22(2)/300b. Two of the same tube preference has been 866a’s, 3b22’s, 83’s.  Jury still out on my pair of 3b28’s I need more listening time with them.  Just my take on my system so far.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #285 - 07/10/24 at 02:11:53

I am running my 1002 into the CSP3. I can't run it into the ZMA because the ZMA does not have tube rectification.

My 104 is on the way this week (photos sent by Al this morning below). Once I have that, I'll send my 1002 back to STL for the 1004 upgrade. Once I have that one back, I'll probably run the 1004 into the CSP3 and the 104 into my ZP3. For some reason, that makes the most sense to me, but we'll see where it all lands over the next month or two.

The promised pics:

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #286 - 07/11/24 at 03:05:02

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Yesterday at 18:11:53

My 104 is on the way this week (photos sent by Al this morning below).

Very nice. And I notice the stack of CDs is still there .

For me, I'm well over 150 hours on the 845 tubes and I think I've zeroed in on the right tubes for my (non-Decware) preamp, to which my 1002 is connected. I continue to be blown away by the amazing sound I'm getting. Can't live without it for sure!

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #287 - 07/13/24 at 20:39:13

I've been enjoying a single Linlai 845-DG in the 1002 powering the Lampizator TRP. I did try Linlai 845-DG and PSVANE 805A.

For me and my tastes the single 845-DG has a great balance of everything. I will try dual 845-DGs again. My memory says it was more clean and tight. The single offers a little more juicy density while maintaining clarity and extension.

Was at my brothers this morning. His Preamp is being powered by the 104-MK2 running Linlai E-2A3s. His amp is powered by the 1003 with 3B22s and Linlai E-845s. He still needs to get another 200 hours in before the latest components and tubes are all settled.

Flipping the choke on the 1003 would change the bias on the tubes from 60ma no choke to 40ma with choke. The sound changed significantly too.

Choke engaged got a bit more dreamy and lazy. No choke things tightened up and got more snappy. We both preferred no choke. He is going to get some time on the choke setting and see if with time it opens up more. On my 1002 I do think the choke opened up a bit with time.  I still prefer no choke.

Another observation is that when the choke is engaged the one of the 3B22 was glowing much brighter.

I'm really looking forward to getting my amp powered by 4x 845s! Before placing the order I'm going to try the 1003 vs. 1003 (with just 845s) and my 1002. My amp has two rectifiers in parallel so I can hook two STRs up to it.

Quote:
I'll send my 1002 back to STL for the 1004 upgrade.

You enjoy the 575s that much? That's a significant cost increase!

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #288 - 07/13/24 at 21:28:03

Quote:
Posted by: GroovySauce      Posted on: Today at 12:39:13

...Choke engaged got a bit more dreamy and lazy. No choke things tightened up and got more snappy. We both preferred no choke...

I listened with the choke on a little, and didn't like it. To me, is sounded kinda like turning on reverb. I'm not inclined to ever turn it on again, but JMO/YMMV and all that.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #289 - 07/14/24 at 00:10:09

Groovy. A different setting for sure, using 6SN7s to 300Bs, to 845s as power in my amp... and you can hear notable changes with any, input, driver, power as usual... Also I have done some clarifying in this amp, making it more fast, resolving and neutral, so it does show a lot of a tube.

Anyway, to me the Linlai 845-DGs took a long time to burn in. They sounded more rigid for quite a while but pretty good being so spacious and resolving, especially once the bass refined. Sorry I stopped tracking hours, but guessing closer to 200 or more, than 150. And then they really started to get resolving with lots of open space, and complex detail/harmonic information very present, but still smooth in their clarity. Not getting any sense of rolloff or truncation, while not being too bright for me... These tubes here show the difference in how very resolving and clear is not necessarily "bright." For me, bright tends to be hard and unfriendly, whereas, very complex fine detail and space can be super revealing, while softening edges some because complexity is so well resolved.

The 845TAs here took even longer, not surprising, the black carbon sprayed ones notorious for long burnin in general I think... but guessing more like 250-300 to start to get in there. These were more difficult for me here because for much of the burnin they were a little dark and sluggish for me, but finally they came out nicely, enough resolution and space to make their warmth sweet with the right company.

Linlai 845-WEs here, similar time as DGs I guess, and sounding clear and resolving, somewhere in between the other two... biggish, solid and open, with a warm and smooth patina that is not thick, and a little rounder detail compared to DGs... less emphasis on very fine stuff so far anyway. Whereas the DGs with clean company, gains right, seem so unaffectedly spacious it is like there is no tube here. At least at this point... guessing the WE may end up closer in open detail, not having as much time as my DGs

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #290 - 07/14/24 at 00:41:58

GrooveySauce and CAJames-  Thanks for validating my choice on not getting the choke upgrade.  Once again Al steered me right👍. I just love the way my little Str-104 sounds and has improved the SQ.  Really like the fact I don’t have to buy the big tube pairs and can use tubes I already owned. Great flexibly between my amp and preamp rectifier tubes. No regrets with the Str-104 “Today” Smiley

Bloodlemons-Wow a Str-1004 you are going in “Deep” enjoy it!

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #291 - 07/14/24 at 15:13:04

Re: the 1002 to 1004 upgrade:

It's not so much about any one set of tubes. I just don't want to be limited. If I'd understood more about how the STRs work when I was first seriously interested, I probably would have talked myself into the 1004, as my preference is to just pay the money and get it done when possible, avoiding future hemmong-and-hawing and shipping things back and forth all over the place. Between the incoming 104 and the imminent 1004, I should be able to run pretty much anything, which is ideal for components I intend to hold on to.

FWIW, I find myself using the choke much more often than not. I agree that it seemed potentially gimmicky at first, but it really does open up after enough hours and I wouldn't want to be without it now.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #292 - 07/14/24 at 16:00:02

Quote:
Posted by: bloodlemons      Posted on: Today at 07:13:04

FWIW, I find myself using the choke much more often than not. I agree that it seemed potentially gimmicky at first, but it really does open up after enough hours and I wouldn't want to be without it now.

Interesting. I guess I'll put some hours on it and give it another try.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #293 - 07/14/24 at 19:54:38

I recalled last night the reason I stopped playing the 845-DGs is because I coated them with the Audio Magic Blackout Paint. When the tubes got hot there was an unpleasant odor. Now, one has ~130 hours and the other 90. They are sounding really good. The odor is also just about gone, I’m guessing these will stay in for a long time without any tube rolling…. or should I say twisting as they twist to lock in.

I didn’t find the “TA” family to be dark in my system I can see how that would be a good description with them.

I haven’t had much time with the system the last 2 months or so, so I haven’t racked up as much time on the tubes as I would have liked. The Jumbo tubes do take a long time to settle.

I hear you on all the options going to the 1004.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #294 - 07/14/24 at 20:18:47

GS. The TAs were resolving here, but definitely, by comparison, leaning "warm," for which dark is clearly a part, though I can see how they might play differently depending on all else.

I wonder if you logged the difference between the DGs unpainted compared to painted other than smell.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #295 - 07/14/24 at 20:21:38

Many thanks for sharing listening observations on tubes for the STL-STR's everyone. In addition to the stock Crossar 805B tubes, looks like the Linlai 845-DG's will be a solid 1st tube roll.

My Timber Nation rack is 13-15 weeks out, so I'll plan the Super STR-1002 order accordingly. Cheers everyone this looks so promising.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR MWI modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th A preamp > ZMA-25th A amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > SDFB's > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #296 - 07/14/24 at 20:23:25

They had basically no hours on them. I put the coating on to block the light, which didn't work very well. I'm using two pieces of charge pipe to block the light now.

I enjoy the TAs. I do want to get more time on the 211s and 805s too. Tube burnin is a real bummer.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #297 - 07/14/24 at 20:27:40

Thanks, I agree... especially big power tubes, burnin is a buzz kill.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #298 - 07/14/24 at 21:34:08

GS,

One reason I asked about the paint is that I tried it years ago on a tube, a Russian rectifier... can't recall the numbers, but some saying it was a GZ34/5AR4 replacement that sounded more like a GZ32 replacement to me. I can't find it now, but I recall it not being an improvement to me whatever it did...enough so, I did not pursue more experiments at the time and forgot about it, so not a complete test. I may have gently scratched the paint off. Can't remember details, but why I was hoping you had logged what happened sonically, especially that being a lot of paint on a lot of tube. Sorry for being so vague, but it makes me wonder how close your DGs, painted pretty new, are to DGs without paint?

IP Logged
Adamaley
Verified Member

Reply #299 - 07/14/24 at 22:12:55

Has anyone tried some NOS 805s in comparison to the current production variants? I have RCA 805s and Amperex 805s. I'm excited to see how they sing and maybe mix them with some new blood.

Bluetti AC200P powering
Lampizator Pacific DAC
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print