Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/14/24 at 23:24:42 

Most recent 50 posts

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived! (Read 27637 times)
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Re: Space Tech Lab Super Tube Rectifier Arrived!
Reply #350 - 08/01/24 at 17:07:22

Bloodlemons-  Nice now we know your real motivation for all your systems upgrades and tweaks💃🤣

With the addition of Mainstream and the EVS Speaker Music Purifiers I am not really missing much with  my STR 104 being sent off to Al for repair. That’s using a ‘50’s Sylvania 5U4GB USN tall straight bottle.  Surprisingly nice sounding inexpensive rectifier that I prefer to the pricey Phillips 5R4GYS everyone raves about.

Torii Jr V2 w/ Copper Bypass
Space-Tech Lab STR-104 Super Rectifier
Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Bricasti M5 Network Streamer
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
SDFB w/Piggy and Silver Slugs
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #351 - 08/01/24 at 17:14:56

Quote:
Posted by: Hearafter      Posted on: Today at 09:07:22

...I am not really missing much with  my STR 104 being sent off to Al for repair. That’s using a ‘50’s Sylvania 5U4GB USN tall straight bottle.  Surprisingly nice sounding inexpensive rectifier that I prefer to the pricey Phillips 5R4GYS everyone raves about.

Rectifiers are funny like that. Pre-STR the two best sounding rectifiers out of well over a dozen options in my (non-Decware) preamp were a high dollar GEC U52 and a JAN RCA 5Z3 of unknown provenance that I got used for 10 bucks. If anything the RCA had the edge. Rectifiers are like a box of chocolates...

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
STR-1002 -> Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Audeze LCD-XC
  IP Logged
MikeinMontana
Seasoned Member

Reply #352 - 08/02/24 at 17:48:54

Hi James. I have a few rectifiers and am currently using a very NICE Zenith labeled 5u4g tube. I am a Zenith nut. We currently own a Zenith antique 1940 radio. LOVE IT!)  and grew up with a Zenith tv,  a zenith record player, along with a zenith tube radio. Lots of memories and good luck with their stuff back then.  I also have that 1953 NOS RCA 5u4g that is also my favorite of the few rectifiers I have. I was told that the Zenith was probably an RCA.rebranded. Just curious if you know..or anyone. I am also test driving a 1974 Reflektor silver shield 6n23p input tube. Got that one on a very reasonable price. Very NICE so far. Our Zen is still working beautifully and almost ever evening too. Thanks! MIke  

Elton_John_SACD-2_001.jpg
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #353 - 08/02/24 at 18:11:55

Hey Mike,

There are two things I know for sure: Zenith did not make its own tubes, and RCA made more tubes than anyone else, and by a good margin. So odds are the Zenith is a rebranded RCA, but tube taxonomy isn't really my thing so I can't give you a good answer. The important thing is you are liking what you're hearing, and your tubes and UFO should make beautiful music together for years to come.

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #354 - 08/02/24 at 18:14:06

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in here but James probably knows better.
Your rectifier looks more like a Westinghouse see link.  It’s hard to tell with the fuzzy pic.  Compare the plate construction and internal build.  The top is rectangular with rounded edges.  ST bottle RCA and Sylvanis’s that I have seen use round tops. Tung sol rectangular tops have square edges that I have seen.  its a crap shoot to say the least.  The 74 Refectors silver sheild with single wire getter are fabulous.  I have found the year doesn’t matter as long as they have that single wire getter support.  I have ‘73 and 75 ones that sound just as good.  They only made those single wire ones a few years.  The  Voskhod Rockets with single wire same years perform the same or really close.  Just my take.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/266925853219?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&s...

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #355 - 08/02/24 at 22:49:21

I have been reorganizing the house so did not look at all my rectifiers, but I found a bunch of RCA 5U4G-STs and some cool straight bottles with the same internals (no bottom mica and really nice tubes)... I think all are late 50s, and they all have top micas like the one you pictured Mike. But these also all have top/side rectangular getters, and I can't tell from your pic for sure, but not seeing a flash on top, guessing your "Zenith" has a bottom getter(s).

I could not find my newer (I think 60s) RCAs, but did find some Raytheons with this top mica shape also, and they have bottom rectangular getters... thinking these may have been made in the mid to late 60's, but a long time ago, so not sure I can trust my memory.

I have not used 5U4G-STs in a really long time, but as I recall, the sound changed pretty noticeably with seemingly minor structure changes, some with thicker plates and some lighter, the thicker ones darker and fuller, in my case, less to my liking. Also, the straight bottle ones with the same internals as far as I can tell, also from the late 50s, were my favs in many tubes sets during my 5U4G days. As I recall, a little more open, fast and dynamic.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/ZR2/CSP3>LaoChen 300B/845>Omega SAHOMs/AudioSmile Tweeters,SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs and DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker>SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet +
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #356 - 08/02/24 at 22:59:34

I have a couple of early RCA 5R4GY, same construction, and they sound entirely different.

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #357 - 08/02/24 at 23:41:42

Yes,  Could be Raytheon.  They made many very nice tubes. Raytheon made tube for other manufactures and they have same rectangular top mica.  Compare yours to these.  Both are Raytheon one is branded Admiral in yellow lettering as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285990101619?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&s...

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #358 - 08/04/24 at 20:06:53

The newly-upgraded 1004 is burning in and will be on its way to me this week...

Thorens TD 125 Mk II w/SME 3009 and ZYX Ultimate Airy Exceed; Transcriptors Skeleton w/Vestigal Arm and Grado TLZ; ZP3; CSP3; ZMA; ZSB; Space Tech Labs STR 1002; Mac Mini; Teac PD-301-X; Sorcer X4+; SDFB w/ Super Duper Sluggos; Decware cords and interconnects
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #359 - 08/05/24 at 04:20:36

Looks good! Can’t wait for the Elrog - 575 shoot out.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #360 - 08/05/24 at 16:48:53

CAJames -- That will be fun!

IP Logged
Adamaley
Verified Member

Reply #361 - 08/08/24 at 20:15:04

Anyone interested in this set of 845s that just got posted for sale?

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/tL5zjuJYZRncpo1Q/?mibextid=oFDknk

Knock yourselves out

Bluetti AC200P powering
(Taiko Audio Extreme Server
Lampizator Pacific DAC
Misho Myronov Wooden Preamp)
LiFePO4 battery + Inverter + PSM156 powering
(Wyetech Labs Ruby XR300B Monoblock Amps)
ZenMaster F-15 Speakers (Altec VOTT 817 build in progress)
  IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #362 - 08/09/24 at 19:05:34

Ok finally sent my defective STR-104 into Al to fix after no progress could be made over email. Just wanted to share my frustrating experience for anyone interested in buying from Space Tech Labs so you know what you are getting in to. Love Al and he does stand behind his products.  It can be a challenge to work with Al if something goes wrongl…my experience below:
Space-Tech Lab components are an intriguing and the Super Rectifier (STR) was an amazing improvement but beware if something goes wrong it is a PITA as I am going through now.  It is really a leap of faith. Al is great and stands behind his products but it is a test in patience to trouble shoot haphazardly with Al through countless emails.  Additionally, you have to pay for shipping both ways to Canada no matter what goes wrong.  To return it’s 20% restocking fee plus shipping both ways.  Lastly he only takes Zelle or bank transfer so you really have no recourse.  I am not trying to bash Al as he is repairing my Super Rectifier which has a defective on/off switch, 2 defective sockets pulling apart at the base and it is costing me $160 in shipping.  Just be aware.

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #363 - Today at 04:59:31

Well... Now we're cooking with gas!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #364 - Today at 05:19:02

Holy @&$${!!

I both love and fear that.

We’re going out of town and off the grid for a couple weeks. Looking forward to getting caught up you guys when I get back.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #365 - Today at 08:28:54

Oh... It gets worse!

Have a great trip!

IP Logged
Hearafter
Seasoned Member

“In Tubes We Trust”

Reply #366 - Today at 18:11:07

🤯I hope you don’t blow a Sluggo!🤣

Supratek Cabernet Pre
Lab 12 DAC1 Reference
Ohm Walsh Tall 2000
Vanguard Caldera Sub
Audio Envy Cables
Too many Tweaks
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Seasoned Member

Reply #367 - Today at 21:09:34

Grin

All of my components are outfitted with Graphene Sluggos now. If I blow one of those, I might have to seriously rethink my system power requirements...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print